Margaritaville – The Song

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

Bicycle Bill
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris
Number of Concerts: 1
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything with rum and pineapple juice!

Margaritaville – The Song

Post by Bicycle Bill »

I know I could probably look through all the set-lists, etc., but I thought I'd just toss this out here for discussion/comment ...

Since "Margaritaville" became Jimmy's more-or-less defining song, has there ever been a concert at which he did NOT perform it?
How about about "Come Monday", or "Cheeseburger in Paradise", or other examples of "The Sacred Six"?
-"BB"-
"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead."
"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way."
spadilly
Gypsies in the palace
Favorite Buffett Song: Trying to Reason...
Number of Concerts: 13
Favorite Boat Drink: Ginger Beer!

Re: Margaritaville – The Song

Post by spadilly »

I was actually thinking about this earlier in the week. I saw Dave Matthews again last Friday and it made me realize again how similar all of Jimmy's setlists are. It's not a bad thing, but when you go to a Buffett show, you know that 70-80% of the songs are going to be the same as you saw the last ten-twenty years.
With Dave, his setlist changes every night and his catalogue is so big that you may not hear one of his "popular" songs you want for years if you only see him once a year or so.

The good news with Buffett is I have been able to take friends who haven't seen him before and let them know what they can expect to hear.
Houston 4/21/08, 5/20/10, 12/6/10, 5/5/11, 5/29/14, 5/28/15, 6/4/16, 6/8/17, 6/1/19, 6/4/22
Tampa 4/25/09
Frisco 5/21/11, 5/4/13
bodypainter
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbor
Number of Concerts: 24
Favorite Boat Drink: whatever I get as a tip(no JELLO)

Post by bodypainter »

Why Don't We Get Drunk... was not played at Star Lake last year.
If I wasn't fishing in this all day rain,I'd be home doing something stupid.
BottleofRum
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris: It's My Job
Favorite Boat Drink: Barbancourt Rhum

Post by BottleofRum »

I went to a show in Tampa in 2003 and he played 30 songs but didn't play Changes or BEG.
This was the set list... https://www.buffettnews.com/resources/s ... /?show=115
- - “If it doesn't work out there will never be any doubt that the pleasure was worth all the pain.”
Caribbean Soul
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: Migration ;-)
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Pick just ONE??!! No can do...

Post by Caribbean Soul »

BottleofRum wrote: May 29, 2023 9:37 pm I went to a show in Tampa in 2003 and he played 30 songs but didn't play Changes or BEG.
This was the set list... https://www.buffettnews.com/resources/s ... /?show=115
Wasn't that the year that Changes was the background in the intermission jumbo-screen slide show?
In Boston with...
"this caribbean soul I can barely control and Long Island's always here in my heart"
JB - Sag Harbor 11/20/99
SharkysMV1
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Number of Concerts: 9
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum & Tonic

Post by SharkysMV1 »

Was not in attendance nor do I know the full story, but I always found it very odd that Jimmy and the beach band played Come Monday as the final encore in Houston in 2008, after Somewhere Over China (which is more of an encore to me). On paper it looks so out of place, almost like he forgot to play it during the show, so I really wonder if it almost slipped through the cracks.

This version appears on the "Encores" album.
“Later down the road of life, I made the discovery that salt water was also good for the mental abrasions one inevitably acquires on land.” - JB, APLAFifty
urlcenter
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 6

Post by urlcenter »

At the 2014 Hershey Park show in 2014, Jimmy did not perform A Pirate Looks at 40
MDShark70
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbor
Number of Concerts: 108
Favorite Boat Drink: The one in my hand
Location: Southeast of Disorder, Near the Port of Indecision, so you know, Maryland

Post by MDShark70 »

bodypainter wrote: May 26, 2023 3:18 pm Why Don't We Get Drunk... was not played at Star Lake last year.
There are many, many shows over the last several years that have not featured WDWGDAS. BEG seems to be going that route too which is cool with me as it opens up a slot for hopefully some other lesser played tunes.
It was too much tequila . . . . or not quite enough.
spadilly
Gypsies in the palace
Favorite Buffett Song: Trying to Reason...
Number of Concerts: 13
Favorite Boat Drink: Ginger Beer!

Post by spadilly »

SharkysMV1 wrote: May 30, 2023 9:28 am Was not in attendance nor do I know the full story, but I always found it very odd that Jimmy and the beach band played Come Monday as the final encore in Houston in 2008, after Somewhere Over China (which is more of an encore to me). On paper it looks so out of place, almost like he forgot to play it during the show, so I really wonder if it almost slipped through the cracks.

This version appears on the "Encores" album.
I was there that night. It was odd, but it was also a Monday night show, which are so rare I think that's why he closed with it.
Buffett show on a Monday....wild stuff. Messed my whole week up afterwards :D
Houston 4/21/08, 5/20/10, 12/6/10, 5/5/11, 5/29/14, 5/28/15, 6/4/16, 6/8/17, 6/1/19, 6/4/22
Tampa 4/25/09
Frisco 5/21/11, 5/4/13
atmarler26
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Manana and One Particular Harbor

Post by atmarler26 »

Bicycle Bill wrote: May 22, 2023 11:35 am I know I could probably look through all the set-lists, etc., but I thought I'd just toss this out here for discussion/comment ...

Since "Margaritaville" became Jimmy's more-or-less defining song, has there ever been a concert at which he did NOT perform it?
Assuming this setlist is accurate, it appears that at this show in November 1998 at Stephen Talkhouse in Amagansett, NY he did play Cheeseburger but did not play Margaritaville- or at least I don't see it in the setlist:

https://www.buffettnews.com/resources/s ... /?show=281
"The last time we played here in 2004 in September, the Red Sox won the World Series in October. I'm thinking the same thing this year, how 'bout you?" -Jimmy Buffett, 8/9/2018
urlcenter
Behind Door #3

Post by urlcenter »

That set list is incomplete here is full setlist from Setlist fm

We Are the People Our Parents Warned Us About
Only Time Will Tell
Boat Drinks
Jamaica Mistaica
My Head Hurts, My Feet Stink and I Don't Love Jesus
Banana Republics
(Steve Goodman cover)
Pencil Thin Mustache
Woman Goin' Crazy on Caroline Street
Grapefruit—Juicy Fruit
Havaña Daydreamin'
God's Own Drunk
(Lord Buckley cover)
Uncle John's Band
(Grateful Dead cover)
Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes
Cowboy in the Jungle
Chanson pour les petits enfants
Twelve Volt Man
Cheeseburger in Paradise
The Wino and I Know
Why Don't We Get Drunk
Son of a Son of a Sailor
No Woman, No Cry
(Bob Marley & The Wailers cover)
Distantly in Love
Margaritaville
Defying Gravity
(Jesse Winchester cover)
One Particular Harbour
atmarler26
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Manana and One Particular Harbor

Post by atmarler26 »

urlcenter wrote: June 13, 2023 8:45 pm That set list is incomplete here is full setlist from Setlist fm

Only Time Will Tell
Boat Drinks
Jamaica Mistaica
Banana Republics
(Steve Goodman cover)
Pencil Thin Mustache
Grapefruit—Juicy Fruit
Havaña Daydreamin'
God's Own Drunk
(Lord Buckley cover)
Uncle John's Band
(Grateful Dead cover)
Cowboy in the Jungle
Twelve Volt Man
Cheeseburger in Paradise
The Wino and I Know
Why Don't We Get Drunk
Son of a Son of a Sailor
No Woman, No Cry
Distantly in Love
Margaritaville
Defying Gravity
(Jesse Winchester cover)
One Particular Harbour
If you're positive that this setlist from Setlist fm is accurate, then we should definitely have someone update it here in the BN database to include the complete setlist. I thought something didn't seem quite right because he usually doesn't end a show with The Wino and I Know. But still figured a shortened setlist of 18 songs seemed possible.

The only other setlists that I am finding without Margaritaville in them are from "special appearance" type shows where he played a limited number of songs. Not sure if those really count, but here is one example from Pascagoula in 2001 (if this setlist is also incomplete let me know):

https://www.buffettnews.com/resources/s ... /?show=180

In terms of shows that were clearly part of tours and had full length setlists, I think it would be almost impossible to find one without Margaritaville in the setlist. But surely this is a question that has been asked before and someone out there or on this board must know the answer? It's just like asking if Neil Diamond ever did a concert without singing Sweet Caroline.
"The last time we played here in 2004 in September, the Red Sox won the World Series in October. I'm thinking the same thing this year, how 'bout you?" -Jimmy Buffett, 8/9/2018
urlcenter
Behind Door #3

Post by urlcenter »

atmarler26 wrote: June 18, 2023 12:05 pm
urlcenter wrote: June 13, 2023 8:45 pm That set list is incomplete here is full setlist from Setlist fm

Only Time Will Tell
Boat Drinks
Jamaica Mistaica
Banana Republics
(Steve Goodman cover)
Pencil Thin Mustache
Grapefruit—Juicy Fruit
Havaña Daydreamin'
God's Own Drunk
(Lord Buckley cover)
Uncle John's Band
(Grateful Dead cover)
Cowboy in the Jungle
Twelve Volt Man
Cheeseburger in Paradise
The Wino and I Know
Why Don't We Get Drunk
Son of a Son of a Sailor
No Woman, No Cry
Distantly in Love
Margaritaville
Defying Gravity
(Jesse Winchester cover)
One Particular Harbour
If you're positive that this setlist from Setlist fm is accurate, then we should definitely have someone update it here in the BN database to include the complete setlist. I thought something didn't seem quite right because he usually doesn't end a show with The Wino and I Know. But still figured a shortened setlist of 18 songs seemed possible.

The only other setlists that I am finding without Margaritaville in them are from "special appearance" type shows where he played a limited number of songs. Not sure if those really count, but here is one example from Pascagoula in 2001 (if this setlist is also incomplete let me know):

https://www.buffettnews.com/resources/s ... /?show=180

In terms of shows that were clearly part of tours and had full length setlists, I think it would be almost impossible to find one without Margaritaville in the setlist. But surely this is a question that has been asked before and someone out there or on this board must know the answer? It's just like asking if Neil Diamond ever did a concert without singing Sweet Caroline.
Not only am I positive the set list is accurate and complete, the full show can be download from the jokelben server in FLAC format. The 2001 setlist you posted a link to is complete, that show was a special birthday show for Jimmy's mom and it contained her favorite Jimmy Buffett songs