Your Travel Input Please

This is a travelogue area for places to visit, stay, eat, etc...

Moderator: SMLCHNG

protosenpi
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: a pirate looks at forty
Number of Concerts: 2

Your Travel Input Please

Post by protosenpi »

Hi everyone,I am planning to visit Mexico with my kids (ages 8 and 10) for 10 days during the Christmas break. I have never been to Mexico before and I am looking for some advice on where to go, what to do, and how to stay safe.

I am interested in exploring the culture, history, and nature of Mexico, as well as having some fun and relaxing time with my kids. I would prefer to avoid crowded and touristy places, especially given the COVID-19 situation. I am also on a moderate budget, so I am looking for affordable options for accommodation, transportation, and activities.

Some of the places that I have heard of and would like to visit are: Mexico City, Oaxaca, Cancún, Chichen Itza

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to plan my itinerary, how to get around, where to stay, what to eat, and what to see and do in these places. I would also like to know about what safety measures I should take to protect myself and my kids. How safe is it to travel with kids in Mexico in general?

Thank you for your help and input. I am looking forward to hearing from you and learning more about this amazing country.
protosenpi
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Re: Your Travel Input Please

Post by protosenpi »

Update on my current query: I have mapped out where should I be staying. Looks like It's going to be Cancun. A lot of people are visiting there each month and It look like a safe place to place according to this site https://tourismanalytics.com/cancun.html
I am sharing this article if anyone else asked for it in future as this thread seems to be dead to be https://gowithguide.com/blog/tourism-in ... guide-5523 It's about tourism stats, places to visit, when to visit etc.
Saltx3
Favorite Buffett Song: Boats to Build
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: MARGARITA, FIREBALL WHISKEY

Post by Saltx3 »

protosenpi wrote: November 22, 2023 5:56 am Update on my current query: I have mapped out where should I be staying. Looks like It's going to be Cancun. A lot of people are visiting there each month and It look like a safe place to place according to this site https://tourismanalytics.com/cancun.html
I am sharing this article if anyone else asked for it in future as this thread seems to be dead to be https://gowithguide.com/blog/tourism-in ... guide-5523 It's about tourism stats, places to visit, when to visit etc.
If this site is from Cancun you should probably look for other recommendations. Try AAA. Maybe even the US tourism bureau website.
SALT, SALT, SALT/Linda
protosenpi
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by protosenpi »

I looked for the State's travel advisory. It is only showing the places I should be cautious of
Saltx3
Favorite Buffett Song: Boats to Build
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: MARGARITA, FIREBALL WHISKEY

Post by Saltx3 »

protosenpi wrote: November 23, 2023 5:33 am I looked for the State's travel advisory. It is only showing the places I should be cautious of
Here's some info on Mexico -- maybe it's different than what you found

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... exico.html
SALT, SALT, SALT/Linda
jedivet
License to Chill
Number of Concerts: 22
Favorite Boat Drink: VooDoo

Post by jedivet »

Sadly the "crowded and touristy places" are generally safer and less expensive than the not so. (Ie, an all-inclusive resort is a better bargain, but you're somewhat limited to that area - I say somewhat because they usually have excursions you can sign up for. There is additional cost, but the logistics are taken care of for you. You get on the bus and off you go.) If you're going to go out on your own, I'd suggest a travel agent to help you find the best way to do that. And no matter what, try to go with a group. You don't want to be a single family in downtown Mexico City without a guide, so to speak.

You've also posted some pretty ambitious geography there. Cancun is a 22 hour drive from Mexico City. Are you planning a land tour? That could work - again, if you hire a service. I wouldn't recommend renting a car and driving it on your own. I mean, if you're up for an adventure, go for it. There's something to be said for bravely venturing out/staying at little motels along the way/truly experiencing the country. But bravery doesn't mean you don't prepare. That's not bravery, but something else. You need to plan for roadside emergencies, wifi, cell service, food, water, etc. Do you speak the language? What about your kids? How up for adventure are they? Do they need a toilet every few hours? Or are they ok with the side of the road? For that matter, what are the conditions of the road? Can whatever car you get drive them? Me personally, no way I'd go on my own in general, and certainly not with kids. Sure, most people are good (it's really true), but in a country where I don't speak the language and don't know my way around? No thanks.

Go with a group. Be safe. Limit your itinerary to something feasible. That's my advice.

Oh, and don't forget the paperwork. I'm sure you have this arranged, but if you are traveling alone with your children, you will need the whole "letter of sole custody" thing along with their passports to prove you aren't kidnapping them.
...I come down to talk to me...when the coast is clear...
tomdeb1986
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 8
Favorite Boat Drink: Any beach drink

Post by tomdeb1986 »

If you're looking for more authentic Mexico the West Coast has more choices, just stay away from the Cabo area as it is very touristy and expensive. Puerto Vallarta is a good starting base and you can travel to other areas north and south.