Rest In Paradise Jimmy Buffett

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

Kmangio
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Number of Concerts: 0

Re: RIP - Jimmy Buffett

Post by Kmangio »

Haven’t been on in over a dozen years, had to hunt down my login!

Thought about everyone on here when the news broke. Look forward to the new album in November.
MarkWindSailor
Favorite Buffett Song: so many....
Number of Concerts: 12

Post by MarkWindSailor »

On Sat morning, Sep 2, when I found out Jimmy had passed away I was not surprised as I new he had some serious health issues, but it struck me with a deep sadness. As the day wore on a bit, I realized that it was a personal sadness as real and deep as if a very close relative had died. Why was it so personal, I wondered? Towards the end of the day, my wife and I decided to sit on our "little beach" in our front yard garden, listen to Buffett tunes, and drink Perfect Margaritas in his honor. The tears started flowing.
It then struck me what it was so personal- because Jimmy Buffett had been such a central and important part of my life for decades. I discovered his music and learned to sail at the same time. I ended up in many of the tropical islands and locations of his songs, most often on a sail boat. I did my very best to "live the life Buffett sang about".
Now, a bit over a week later, I realize while the Head Parrot may not physically be here, his spirit and music, visions and smiles, will be here and around us forever.

Fins up!
-Mark
OldFriendTheSquid
I have found me a home

Post by OldFriendTheSquid »

Mark I relate so much to what you wrote, it’s almost my feelings exactly. It’s been over a week and I am still feeling deep grief similar to when my Dad passed away a few years ago.

Jimmy’s music was so meaningful and it feels like it was written especially for me. I looked forward to his concerts each year and the special 2 or 3 rare songs that would always make it a spiritual experience. I admire the way he lived and I’m just heartbroken that he is gone, there’s not much else to say.

“He died about a month ago, while winter filled the air. And though I cried I was so proud, to have love a man so rare. He’s somewhere on the ocean now, the place he ought to be-with one hand on the starboard rail he’s waving back at me.”
Life and Ink: they run out at the same time..
Nutmeg1428
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Barefoot Children in the Rain
Number of Concerts: 9

Post by Nutmeg1428 »

Hello friends! I've made my way back! Still processing our loss.
carey24
We are the People our Parents Warned us

Post by carey24 »

Well friends, it’s been over 20 years since I was last on here.

I’m relieved to see that others are feeling the same deep loss I feel. I thought I was crazy. It’s like I lost a family member, best friend, and a piece of myself at once.

I figure Jimmy deeply impacted 33ish of my 47 years. My whole way of living stems from him. A girl that was unpopular in school finally found her people. And they are some amazing people.

I knew this day would come. I knew I would be devastated. To the point that when I thought of it in my 20s etc, I pushed the thought out of my head.

The fact that it happened the way it did, choreographed by him as much as possible (not telling anyone, letting us stay happy, not worrying, writing the songs he did, playing in July…) makes it all that much sadder. He was selfless to the end.

I will never ever forget him. Some of his songs will now always make me cry. I just want to publicly thank you guys, for being friends over the years. I only ever randomly ran into some of you at a concert, possibly shared a beer or shot, definitely gave a hug, wave as we passed in the lot…and to thank Jimmy Buffett for bringing us all together ♥️
beachboy al

Post by beachboy al »

Still can’t be leave Jimmy’s gone
MarkWindSailor
Favorite Buffett Song: so many....
Number of Concerts: 12

Post by MarkWindSailor »

My wife saw a great snippet on Facebook: Don't be sad that Jimmy Buffett is gone, be glad and happy he was here! :)
LaTda!
Gypsies in the palace
Favorite Buffett Song: APL@40
Number of Concerts: 13
Favorite Boat Drink: Pinot Noir or Vitamin "T"

Post by LaTda! »

Hi pholks. How are we?
I'm still in a daze. I went from not being able to listen to RM for 48 hours to having it on round the clock now, Autour de rocher style

On a whim I searched for that name & just watched this Great video, even at the risk of a panic attack. I do suffer from anxiety/panic/ptsd & it has been coming close to the surface of late. Hug your phriends, No we are not ok.

Anyway this is a great video: No it's not Rick Roll lol
Sha La lalalalalalala la laT da
~Mike

Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle,
and the life of the candle will not be shortened.
Happiness never decreases by being shared.
Saltx3
Favorite Buffett Song: Boats to Build
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: MARGARITA, FIREBALL WHISKEY

Post by Saltx3 »

Nutmeg1428 wrote: September 10, 2023 12:52 pm Hello friends! I've made my way back! Still processing our loss.
Welcome back Nancy !!!
SALT, SALT, SALT/Linda
Snowparrot
Under My Lone Palm
Number of Concerts: 14
Favorite Boat Drink: **Free**

Post by Snowparrot »

Nutmeg1428 wrote: September 10, 2023 12:52 pm Hello friends! I've made my way back! Still processing our loss.
Hello Nutmeg!
jbfins
I gotta go where it's warm

Post by jbfins »

So this morning a song came on that I had never heard before, "Night and Morning" by David Francey. I listed to it and immediately thought of Jimmy and that it seemed like a song I would love to hear him cover. Then it occurred to me, that is what I think I will miss the most. It won't be the concerts, but that in the not too distant future, there will not be as much (if any) new creative material.

Oh, and is anyone else finding that every single song just hits differently now? And I mean every single one, even the ones you did not listen to.
"Some people never find it..."
palmettopirate
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Favorite Buffett Song: Coast of Carolina
Favorite Boat Drink: sweet tea

Post by palmettopirate »

I’m still having difficulty processing this. This same feeling has happened when I lost a friend or family member in the past. You just wake up and feel like they’re still with us. If Jimmy had a mistress it was Mother Nature herself. And she attacked him with a sinister yet subtle weapon. It wasn’t as if he didn’t give her years of attention and time; and he certainly did his part in tending to her. It saddens me and angers me that medical science hasn’t discovered a way to beat this monster. I’m not going to Paris looking for answers but it is a question that bothers me so. I just had my 6 month checkup with my dermatologist today. I’m 76 now and 8 months younger than Jimmy. I’ve been going to this lady for about 40 Years and been going to dermatologists since I was about 20. My mother had melanoma and that hit me right bewtween the eyes as a sun worshipper from childhood. I water skied all day long at Lake Moultrie as a kid and then began spending more time at the beach (ocean) as I moved into my teen years. Yep, I was a surfer and spent more time at Folly Beach than I should have. And my skin is proof of that. Back then we didn’t use sun screen. It wasn’t even invented yet. I asked Doctor Smith-Phillips this morning if she’d been asked lots of questions about Merkel cell since Jimmy passed away. And I just said Jimmy. It was like Elvis. She knew right away who I was talking about. And I don’t even know if she’s a fan. But she said she had been asked several times a day. My question to her was why I haven’t heard about this thing in all my years of seeing her. She explained that it is extremely rare. Of course we all know that now. She also said that in all her years of practice she had only one patient who suffered from it. Yes, I had to ask. It did not work out for him. Now here’s something odd to me. There now is more of an emphasis on covering up than using sun screen. I know Jimmy emphasized the lotion. In fact in A Pirate Looks at Fifty he mentioned liberal use of the stuff. And that was 26 years ago. Moving on will be difficult. But most of us realize that the memories that bring tears to our eyes today will bring a smile to our faces a few months from now. I think it may have been C. S. Lewis who said that grief is a consequence of love. If that is true, and I believe it is, there are thousands of people grieving over Jimmy’s passing.
Every day you wake up you get another chance to do it right.
Saltx3
Favorite Buffett Song: Boats to Build
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: MARGARITA, FIREBALL WHISKEY

Post by Saltx3 »

palmettopirate wrote: September 19, 2023 12:08 pm I’m still having difficulty processing this. This same feeling has happened when I lost a friend or family member in the past. You just wake up and feel like they’re still with us. If Jimmy had a mistress it was Mother Nature herself. And she attacked him with a sinister yet subtle weapon. It wasn’t as if he didn’t give her years of attention and time; and he certainly did his part in tending to her. It saddens me and angers me that medical science hasn’t discovered a way to beat this monster. I’m not going to Paris looking for answers but it is a question that bothers me so. I just had my 6 month checkup with my dermatologist today. I’m 76 now and 8 months younger than Jimmy. I’ve been going to this lady for about 40 Years and been going to dermatologists since I was about 20. My mother had melanoma and that hit me right bewtween the eyes as a sun worshipper from childhood. I water skied all day long at Lake Moultrie as a kid and then began spending more time at the beach (ocean) as I moved into my teen years. Yep, I was a surfer and spent more time at Folly Beach than I should have. And my skin is proof of that. Back then we didn’t use sun screen. It wasn’t even invented yet. I asked Doctor Smith-Phillips this morning if she’d been asked lots of questions about Merkel cell since Jimmy passed away. And I just said Jimmy. It was like Elvis. She knew right away who I was talking about. And I don’t even know if she’s a fan. But she said she had been asked several times a day. My question to her was why I haven’t heard about this thing in all my years of seeing her. She explained that it is extremely rare. Of course we all know that now. She also said that in all her years of practice she had only one patient who suffered from it. Yes, I had to ask. It did not work out for him. Now here’s something odd to me. There now is more of an emphasis on covering up than using sun screen. I know Jimmy emphasized the lotion. In fact in A Pirate Looks at Fifty he mentioned liberal use of the stuff. And that was 26 years ago. Moving on will be difficult. But most of us realize that the memories that bring tears to our eyes today will bring a smile to our faces a few months from now. I think it may have been C. S. Lewis who said that grief is a consequence of love. If that is true, and I believe it is, there are thousands of people grieving over Jimmy’s passing.
Thank you for sharing.
SALT, SALT, SALT/Linda
jedivet
License to Chill
Number of Concerts: 22
Favorite Boat Drink: VooDoo

Post by jedivet »

palmettopirate wrote: September 19, 2023 12:08 pm I’m still having difficulty processing this. This same feeling has happened when I lost a friend or family member in the past. You just wake up and feel like they’re still with us. If Jimmy had a mistress it was Mother Nature herself. And she attacked him with a sinister yet subtle weapon. It wasn’t as if he didn’t give her years of attention and time; and he certainly did his part in tending to her. It saddens me and angers me that medical science hasn’t discovered a way to beat this monster. I’m not going to Paris looking for answers but it is a question that bothers me so. I just had my 6 month checkup with my dermatologist today. I’m 76 now and 8 months younger than Jimmy. I’ve been going to this lady for about 40 Years and been going to dermatologists since I was about 20. My mother had melanoma and that hit me right bewtween the eyes as a sun worshipper from childhood. I water skied all day long at Lake Moultrie as a kid and then began spending more time at the beach (ocean) as I moved into my teen years. Yep, I was a surfer and spent more time at Folly Beach than I should have. And my skin is proof of that. Back then we didn’t use sun screen. It wasn’t even invented yet. I asked Doctor Smith-Phillips this morning if she’d been asked lots of questions about Merkel cell since Jimmy passed away. And I just said Jimmy. It was like Elvis. She knew right away who I was talking about. And I don’t even know if she’s a fan. But she said she had been asked several times a day. My question to her was why I haven’t heard about this thing in all my years of seeing her. She explained that it is extremely rare. Of course we all know that now. She also said that in all her years of practice she had only one patient who suffered from it. Yes, I had to ask. It did not work out for him. Now here’s something odd to me. There now is more of an emphasis on covering up than using sun screen. I know Jimmy emphasized the lotion. In fact in A Pirate Looks at Fifty he mentioned liberal use of the stuff. And that was 26 years ago. Moving on will be difficult. But most of us realize that the memories that bring tears to our eyes today will bring a smile to our faces a few months from now. I think it may have been C. S. Lewis who said that grief is a consequence of love. If that is true, and I believe it is, there are thousands of people grieving over Jimmy’s passing.
Sadly, I was familiar with Merkel Cell before this. My dad has it. He's 77, been diagnosed for 15 months now. Doing well right now, but it's a "right now" thing. Five years ago, you got six months with this one. Now, you can get several years (if you're lucky, as is always the case - but at least there are options). And if you're very lucky, you might get a very long time. As I've said elsewhere, cancer moves fast, and if we're lucky, medical knowledge moves faster. But it's always a race. One good thing that has come out of this is that I've started getting my yearly full body skin checks, too. It's important. And so is protection from the sun. Though Merkel is more complicated than that, as Merkel Cell Polyoma virus plays a big role. We all get that, most of us don't get cancer from it, but some of us do. It's one of seven viruses that we know causes cancer in humans (I know a lot more for animals - viral infection isn't innocuous, sadly). But we do what we can. And I'm grateful for every extra day I get. It's like that article from Lulu said. The miracle is the four years we got. Still, it hurts. I understand where you are coming from with all of this. We all feel a great loss, and many of us are truly grieving. But grief is indeed a consequence of love, and we had that love, and we are so, so lucky we did. That's what I try to focus on, and I mostly succeed. Hang in there.
...I come down to talk to me...when the coast is clear...
palmettopirate
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Favorite Buffett Song: Coast of Carolina
Favorite Boat Drink: sweet tea

Post by palmettopirate »

jedivet wrote: September 19, 2023 6:15 pm
Sadly, I was familiar with Merkel Cell before this. My dad has it. He's 77, been diagnosed for 15 months now. Doing well right now, but it's a "right now" thing. Five years ago, you got six months with this one. Now, you can get several years (if you're lucky, as is always the case - but at least there are options). And if you're very lucky, you might get a very long time. As I've said elsewhere, cancer moves fast, and if we're lucky, medical knowledge moves faster. But it's always a race. One good thing that has come out of this is that I've started getting my yearly full body skin checks, too. It's important. And so is protection from the sun. Though Merkel is more complicated than that, as Merkel Cell Polyoma virus plays a big role. We all get that, most of us don't get cancer from it, but some of us do. It's one of seven viruses that we know causes cancer in humans (I know a lot more for animals - viral infection isn't innocuous, sadly). But we do what we can. And I'm grateful for every extra day I get. It's like that article from Lulu said. The miracle is the four years we got. Still, it hurts. I understand where you are coming from with all of this. We all feel a great loss, and many of us are truly grieving. But grief is indeed a consequence of love, and we had that love, and we are so, so lucky we did. That's what I try to focus on, and I mostly succeed. Hang in there.
So very sorry to learn that your father is having to deal with this. And of course it's a family thing. Where there is life there is hope. Well wishes to your dad and the entire family.
Every day you wake up you get another chance to do it right.
Finnsaremorefun
Havana Daydreamin'
Number of Concerts: 14

Post by Finnsaremorefun »

I miss my friend, Jimmy.
Got a carribean soul I can barely control
MDShark70
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbor
Number of Concerts: 108
Favorite Boat Drink: The one in my hand
Location: Southeast of Disorder, Near the Port of Indecision, so you know, Maryland

Post by MDShark70 »

I hate the title of this thread. I don't know why exactly but "RIP" just seems so generic or casual to me when we're talking about someone who had such an impact in all of our lives. Sorry, mini-rant over.
It was too much tequila . . . . or not quite enough.
Caribbean Soul
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: Migration ;-)
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Pick just ONE??!! No can do...

Post by Caribbean Soul »

MDShark70 wrote: September 22, 2023 9:31 am I hate the title of this thread. I don't know why exactly but "RIP" just seems so generic or casual to me when we're talking about someone who had such an impact in all of our lives. Sorry, mini-rant over.
Just think of it as Rest in Paradise... that helps me.
In Boston with...
"this caribbean soul I can barely control and Long Island's always here in my heart"
JB - Sag Harbor 11/20/99
SMLCHNG
Favorite Buffett Song: Lovely Cruise/Bubbles Up
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Extra dirty gin martini

Post by SMLCHNG »

Caribbean Soul wrote: September 23, 2023 4:34 pm
MDShark70 wrote: September 22, 2023 9:31 am I hate the title of this thread. I don't know why exactly but "RIP" just seems so generic or casual to me when we're talking about someone who had such an impact in all of our lives. Sorry, mini-rant over.
Me too, Elaine......
Caribbean Soul
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: Migration ;-)
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Pick just ONE??!! No can do...

Post by Caribbean Soul »

SMLCHNG wrote: September 24, 2023 11:00 am
Caribbean Soul wrote: September 23, 2023 4:34 pm
Me too, Elaine......
((PENNY))
In Boston with...
"this caribbean soul I can barely control and Long Island's always here in my heart"
JB - Sag Harbor 11/20/99