8/20/21.....Slow ticket sales......

Discuss your good and bad ticket buying experiences.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

Dr.Corona
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Apocalypso..no..Semi-True Story..no.Creola..no..REGGAE ACCIDENT!!
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: As if you HAD to ask!!

8/20/21.....Slow ticket sales......

Post by Dr.Corona »

After getting tickets yesterday from the PreSale, was Checking the websites today just for sport for tix to Pine Knob (Detroit) & Blossom Music Center (Cleveland) & the early returns show TONS of Pavilion seats available mid day of the day after the PreSale.

(A) Both shows stated that vaccinations or negative recent tests required. Is this the #1 deal breaker?
(B) Is it the Covid situation in general?
(C) Is it the idea that shows may be postponed, thus your cash sits dormant until 2022?
(D) Is it the late September dates for outdoor shows here in the Midwest?
(5) Is it economy driven?
(6) Is it the fact these shows went onsale only 1 month prior to the show?
(7) Or Has the Buffett show finally become overpriced? Having said that, inexpensive Lawn tix usually go in minutes & seems those remain for both shows.
(H) Or am I jumping the gun & this time next week ticket sales will be flourishing?

What say you Parrothead???
Corona by day, Corona by night, any old time is just alright!Image
WVParrothead
If we weren't all crazy ...
Favorite Buffett Song: Stories We Could Tell
Number of Concerts: 118

Re: 8/20/21.....Slow ticket sales......

Post by WVParrothead »

I think the biggest thing is that Buffett maybe just doesn't have the live-show appeal anymore like he used to. Venues that used to be annual stops are now maybe once every 2-3 years. Even before the pandemic, shows weren't selling tickets as fast as they used to 10-20 years ago. Hell, I honestly can't remember the last time Jimmy legit sold out a larger venue to the point where only resale tickets were available. Why is that? I'm not sure. The shows are mostly similar year after year after year(which as a diehard I already know and don't mind, but maybe casual fans feel differently?) Then you have the tailgating situation to where many(but not all) venues have trimmed down tailgating enough to perhaps keep some away.

I've also considered Buffett as GENERALLY drawing in an older demographic at shows. Even looking at myself and the crew I normally hang out with at shows(some from BN, some not) almost all of them are at the very least in their late 30s and up. While many of Jimmy's older fans have done a wonderful job passing along the music down to others I also think there's many that haven't or have stopped going to shows altogether. So I think age plays a small role in all of this as well.

Anyways, that's just me spitballing a few theories. I can definitely say that back in the day I used to panic if I wasn't able to get a good ticket the day they went on sale, because that meant that I'd be paying 2-3x the amount on Stubhub. These days? I don't even sweat it anymore. There's places where I'll literally just wait until the day of the show and still get a really good seat at face value.
Pittsburgh(17)
Cincy(15)
Bristow(14)
Boston(11)
Camden(6)
Tampa/Vegas(5)
Blossom(4)
Alpine/Delray/Jones Beach/Nashville(3)
Frisco/Ft Lauderdale/Indy/Orange Beach/Raleigh/Red Rocks/Toronto/VA Beach(2)
AC/Baltimore/Bangor/Charlotte/Columbus/Detroit/Hershey/Holmdel/Houston/Jaxville/KW/Tinley/WPB(1)
Dr.Corona
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Apocalypso..no..Semi-True Story..no.Creola..no..REGGAE ACCIDENT!!
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: As if you HAD to ask!!

Post by Dr.Corona »

WVParrothead wrote: August 20, 2021 4:05 pm I think the biggest thing is that Buffett maybe just doesn't have the live-show appeal anymore like he used to. Venues that used to be annual stops are now maybe once every 2-3 years. Even before the pandemic, shows weren't selling tickets as fast as they used to 10-20 years ago. Hell, I honestly can't remember the last time Jimmy legit sold out a larger venue to the point where only resale tickets were available. Why is that? I'm not sure. The shows are mostly similar year after year after year(which as a diehard I already know and don't mind, but maybe casual fans feel differently?) Then you have the tailgating situation to where many(but not all) venues have trimmed down tailgating enough to perhaps keep some away.

I've also considered Buffett as GENERALLY drawing in an older demographic at shows. Even looking at myself and the crew I normally hang out with at shows(some from BN, some not) almost all of them are at the very least in their late 30s and up. While many of Jimmy's older fans have done a wonderful job passing along the music down to others I also think there's many that haven't or have stopped going to shows altogether. So I think age plays a small role in all of this as well.

Anyways, that's just me spitballing a few theories. I can definitely say that back in the day I used to panic if I wasn't able to get a good ticket the day they went on sale, because that meant that I'd be paying 2-3x the amount on Stubhub. These days? I don't even sweat it anymore. There's places where I'll literally just wait until the day of the show and still get a really good seat at face value.
Ha Ha....my first Buffett show was at age 42 for the Beach Odyssey tour. Talk about late to the Party :o :o
As I say that, It hits me this year marks 20 years since my first Buffett show. November show here in Michigan. Well I'll be Damned :pirate: Guess I'll need to kick it up a notch this year in celebration of the occasion (whatever that entails) :wink:

To your comments, everything sounds pretty valid. Being in that "older demographic", I've left the lawn behind quite a while ago for comfort reasons & the price of Pavilion seats did start giving me sticker shock once they became roughly $150 10-15 years back (whenever it was). IOf course the fees push it in the $175 neighborhood & my wife (then) & my girlfriend (now), while enjoying the whole experience & show really would rather have their entertainment dollars go into multiple concerts for the price of JB show. Pleased to say that neither did or do now give me any grief about going solo or with other Phriends!
Corona by day, Corona by night, any old time is just alright!Image
WVParrothead
If we weren't all crazy ...
Favorite Buffett Song: Stories We Could Tell
Number of Concerts: 118

Post by WVParrothead »

Dr.Corona wrote: August 20, 2021 5:05 pm
WVParrothead wrote: August 20, 2021 4:05 pm I think the biggest thing is that Buffett maybe just doesn't have the live-show appeal anymore like he used to. Venues that used to be annual stops are now maybe once every 2-3 years. Even before the pandemic, shows weren't selling tickets as fast as they used to 10-20 years ago. Hell, I honestly can't remember the last time Jimmy legit sold out a larger venue to the point where only resale tickets were available. Why is that? I'm not sure. The shows are mostly similar year after year after year(which as a diehard I already know and don't mind, but maybe casual fans feel differently?) Then you have the tailgating situation to where many(but not all) venues have trimmed down tailgating enough to perhaps keep some away.

Ha Ha....my first Buffett show was at age 42 for the Beach Odyssey tour. Talk about late to the Party :o :o
As I say that, It hits me this year marks 20 years since my first Buffett show. November show here in Michigan. Well I'll be Damned :pirate: Guess I'll need to kick it up a notch this year in celebration of the occasion (whatever that entails) :wink:

To your comments, everything sounds pretty valid. Being in that "older demographic", I've left the lawn behind quite a while ago for comfort reasons & the price of Pavilion seats did start giving me sticker shock once they became roughly $150 10-15 years back (whenever it was). IOf course the fees push it in the $175 neighborhood & my wife (then) & my girlfriend (now), while enjoying the whole experience & show really would rather have their entertainment dollars go into multiple concerts for the price of JB show. Pleased to say that neither did or do now give me any grief about going solo or with other Phriends!
Just realized this is also my 20th year of Buffett shows. The Far Side Of The World tour in Cincinnati 2002 was my first show.. although I was only 20 at the time(was definitely hiding my drinks in cups that day.. haha)

I remember the days were you had three tiers of prices. You had your $35 Lawns, you had a middle tier of rear pavilions which was maybe $80-90 and then you had the front pavilions around $135. I feel like they'd sell SO many more tickets if they brought back that middle tier. Not only does no one want to pay $150 for a rear pavilion seat so far back, but many are now smartened to the fact that they eventually drop rear pavilions down to Lawn prices anyways if you wait awhile and ticket sales are sluggish.
Pittsburgh(17)
Cincy(15)
Bristow(14)
Boston(11)
Camden(6)
Tampa/Vegas(5)
Blossom(4)
Alpine/Delray/Jones Beach/Nashville(3)
Frisco/Ft Lauderdale/Indy/Orange Beach/Raleigh/Red Rocks/Toronto/VA Beach(2)
AC/Baltimore/Bangor/Charlotte/Columbus/Detroit/Hershey/Holmdel/Houston/Jaxville/KW/Tinley/WPB(1)