Post by hangoutgang »

Hey phriends,

Just starting to get the Vinyl collection going and so far have the following:

S.O.A.S.O.A.S.
You had to be there..
Living and Dying..
Somewhere over China
Last Mango...

Anyone know if the vinyl recordings go all the way through Songs from St. Somewhere? I'm also curious to what Vinyl records everyone else has in their collection...
Reflections, not just replays
Takin' time to escape the maze
Lookin' for better days
FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Ice Cold Loaded Landshark

Re: Vinyl - question

Post by FinsUp6835 »

Jimmy's vinyls go all the way up to Off To See The Lizard. Also, last year he released a limited amount of vinyl on Songs from saint somewhere.

As for my own collection- I have every album on vinyl. Including Down to Earth and High Cumby. The album art are framed and hang by my pool table in my "man cave." In addition to jimmy, I also have many Willie albums, rock classics, dead, etc. it has become a little hobby of mine.
Good luck on your finds!
Fins up
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.
hangoutgang
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 19
Favorite Boat Drink: Carib lager

Post by hangoutgang »

Thanks FinsUp! Sounds like an awesome vinyl collection you have going...I'll have my weekly visit to half price books/records tomorrow and will see what i can find... will take me a while to catch up :)
Reflections, not just replays
Takin' time to escape the maze
Lookin' for better days
urlcenter
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 6

Post by urlcenter »

Jimmy's vinyl recordings started with the 1970 LP Down to Earth and run continuously through Off to See the Lizard which was released in 1989. After 1989 Jimmy's albums were released on CD and Cassette only until 2002 when cassette releases ended with the album Far Side of the World.

Some of Jimmy's early vinyl LP's have 2 different releases on 2 different labels this is due to Jimmy recording for ABC records from 1973 to 1978. The ABC Records vinyl LP's included the albums "A White Sport Coat and A Pink Crustacean, Living and Dying in 3/4 time, A1A, Havana DayDreamin, Changes in Attitudes Changes in Latitudes, Son of a Son of a Sailor and Jimmy's first live album You Had to Be There. These ABC vinyl LP's were released with all kinds of album art, lyric sheets, and other goodies. Most of the ABC LP's were released in what were known as gate fold album jackets which open like a book and include photos and other album art on the inside.

MCA records absorbed ABC Records in 1979 and they obtained the rights to all of Jimmy's ABC albums and promptly reissued them as MCA LP's. In doing the reissues however, MCA discarded much of the artwork, liner notes, lyric sheets and all of the gate fold jackets in favor of cheep low budget reissues. The low budget approach also applied to the mastering of MCA LP's which many people feel do not sound as good as the ABC vinyl LP's

All of Jimmy's LP's starting with Volcano in 1979 and ending with Off to see the Lizard in 1989 were recorded for MCA so there is only one vinyl LP version of each of those albums.
ASaltyPieceOfLand
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: Brahma Fear
Number of Concerts: 26

Post by ASaltyPieceOfLand »

I know this is OT and I have no idea why it even happened but there are reissues of the Margaritaville/MCA LPs on CD with black and white liner notes or if I remember correctly none at all! Certainly the original pressings didn't sell out since they usually make 800 gazillion original copies.
Salt air it ain't thin...
FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle

Post by FinsUp6835 »

Speaking of vinyl, I really hope they release his entire collection. I know they released TTWW, Tues,Thurs,Sat, and License to Chill last year but should really make it appoint to add the rest of them. Considering how popular vinyl has become...
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.
big john
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbour
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Oh just give me a beer

Post by big john »

I have an autographed copy of Volcano hanging up on my wall. :pirate:
Who's got the rum?
ASaltyPieceOfLand
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: Brahma Fear
Number of Concerts: 26

Post by ASaltyPieceOfLand »

Does it seem odd that Far Side Of The World and Buffet Hotel hasn't been issued on vinyl? T,TH,S, License To Chill, Take The Weather With You and Songs From St Somewhere are the only vinyl issues. That I've seen anyway.

https://www.mailboatrecords.com/jimmy-buffett/vinyl
Salt air it ain't thin...
FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!

Post by FinsUp6835 »

ASaltyPieceOfLand wrote: October 18, 2016 12:50 pm Does it seem odd that Far Side Of The World and Buffet Hotel hasn't been issued on vinyl? T,TH,S, License To Chill, Take The Weather With You and Songs From St Somewhere are the only vinyl issues. That I've seen anyway.

So I contacted Mailboat Records yesterday and asked if any of the 1990-2000 albums will be released on vinyl and they said they were not sure. They mentioned that among the ones listed they released FAR SIDE OF THE WORLD? I think the guy was wrong because I don't remember that coming out on vinyl. I would have not missed this. Am i going crazy or did the guy at Mailboat Records not know what he was talking about?
urlcenter
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 6

Post by urlcenter »

FinsUp6835 wrote: March 10, 2018 7:56 am
ASaltyPieceOfLand wrote: October 18, 2016 12:50 pm Does it seem odd that Far Side Of The World and Buffet Hotel hasn't been issued on vinyl? T,TH,S, License To Chill, Take The Weather With You and Songs From St Somewhere are the only vinyl issues. That I've seen anyway.

So I contacted Mailboat Records yesterday and asked if any of the 1990-2000 albums will be released on vinyl and they said they were not sure. They mentioned that among the ones listed they released FAR SIDE OF THE WORLD? I think the guy was wrong because I don't remember that coming out on vinyl. I would have not missed this. Am i going crazy or did the guy at Mailboat Records not know what he was talking about?
The guy at Mailboat Records did make a mistake, Mailboat Records has released the following albums on vinyl:

Tuesdays Thursdays and Saturdays
License to Chill
Take the Weather With You
Songs from St. Somewhere
Tis The Season
Buried Treasure
Escape to Margaritaville - Cast recording

MCA has reissued the the following albums on vinyl:

A1A
Songs You Know By Heart.

The first Buffett album released by MailBoat Records was Tuesday's Thursday's, Saturdays which was released on November 9, 1999. All albums released before TTS were released under MCA Records.