One Particular Harbour

Submit your review or read what other's have said about Jimmy's albums and DVDs

Moderator: SMLCHNG

Post by Guest »

Posted By Anonymous
Submit your review of the album !!

Post by Guest »

Posted By Anonymous
My all-time favorite next to the B<B<B<B Boxed set...I couldn't live without this

Post by Guest »

Posted By Spider John
A surprisingly good album (especially considering what came before it and after it). This should appeal to both those who prefer the 70's material and those who prefer the 90's albums. All songs are good, although I Used to Have Money One Time is kind of depressing sounding. Has a few Caribbean style songs too.

Post by Guest »

Posted By headparrothead
Not since A1A has there been a Buffett album this good. It's amazing the inspiration you can get from a vacation in Tahiti.
First you're jabbed with a cattle prod with the electifying cover of Rodney Crowell's "Stars on the Water". Then you're treated to "I Used to Have Money One Time", a song that makes you think that Jimmy's previous record was its inspiration. After that the album takes a slight nose-dive (but not a big one) with "Livin' It Up". This song, like "It's Midnight..." just doesn't sound like Jimmy should be doing it, but the rest of OPH makes up for it. The album is back on course with a cover of Steve Goodman's "California Promises" and then it's "d*m the torpedoes" with "One Particular Harbour". This song is a major show stopper with its mix of the caribbean and the pacific rim. The album is riding high on a crescendo at this point and doesn't stop with the Art Neville tune "Why You Wanna Hurt My Heart". The album starts to level off with "Honey Do", a quaint little jazz number about being "stood up" for the night. The next song, "We Are the People...", is yet another anthem and it seems that Jimmy found a much needed home for the music from "If I Could Just Get it on Paper". "We Are the People.." actually dates back to 1977 (at least) when Jimmy was promoting "Changes in Latitude..". If you're lucky enough to find some old and rare live recordings, you can hear Jimmy tease the crowds with the early and raw "work in progress" that eventually became this masterpiece and another page from the life of Buffett.
Jimmy has admitted on many occasions that "Twelve Volt Man" is one of his personal favorite songs to perform. It's clear to see why and if you know the history behind this song you'll agree..a man in Mexico with a blender hooked up to a diehard battery and listens to Jimmy's music while surfing his life away is the perfect topic for a song. "Brown Eyed Girl" is much better than the original and the original is near perfect. Finishing the album with "Distantly in Love" is similar to the way Jimmy finishes his live shows...with a song so meaningful it nearly makes your heart stop. This song and "California Promises" are open doors to the private life of the head parrot.

score: same as A1A-- 6 of (a possible 5) coronas
ParrotheadJon
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by ParrotheadJon »

I agree with hph. This is one of the best and title song is one of my all-time favorites and was the favorite for the longest time. 12-volt man and Brown Eyed Girl shine.
pla40
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by pla40 »

luv it!
PHat Matt
Changing Channels

Post by PHat Matt »

Way to go Jimmy! this isn't as good as Last Mango, but it is a very close call. The only reason it isn't as good is because Last Mango is what got me started on Buffett. This album is an exelent collection, it is very up beat and exiting. I especialy love One Perticular Harbor, and We are the People Our Parents Warned us about. It was definitly worth $13.
bixxx
License to Chill
Favorite Buffett Song: thats what living is to me
Number of Concerts: 80
Favorite Boat Drink: bushwhacker/pain killer

Post by bixxx »

7.5 out of 10
Bamafan
Under My Lone Palm

Post by Bamafan »

A great album, the only song i don't like is Livin it up, but the rest of the album is great! :D
Dino69
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: One particular harbour
Number of Concerts: 2
Favorite Boat Drink: Mai Tai (@ the Pink Palace!)

Re: One Particular Harbour

Post by Dino69 »

JIMMY BUFFETT
Polygram Records Pty Ltd

The album is One Particular Harbour on MCA Records, and it features fresh production and exciting new energy from Jimmy Buffett. As in the title track, Jimmy’s songs take one to a tropical dream setting where shorts and Hawaiian shirts are mandatory. Everyone peacefully relaxes to reminisce or kicks out the upbeat rock, staying up all night to tell the stories that show up in future songs. The album blends the Buffett ethic of past years with a bright and humor-filled attitude towards the ‘80s. Early reactions are that long-time Jimmy Buffett fans will be thrilled and the album holds great potential for a number of hit singles.
Featured on the album is the blending of Jimmy’s material with the writing efforts of others. Six songs are penned by Buffett with several collaborators, including Utley. They range from the upbeat “I Use To Have Money”, a wry image of the faster lifestyles, to the hauntingly beautiful title song (co-written by Bobby Holcomb). In between are “12 Volt Man”, about an expatriate molded into an effortless existence, the humorous “Honey Do” (come and do me again…), and the nearly autobiographical “We Are The People (Our Parents Warned Us About)”. Add to these original selections Rodney Crowell’s “Stars On The Water”, a lively version of Van Morrison’s “Brown Eyed Girl”, Steve Goodman’s “California Promises”, (which features an elegant acoustic guitar solo by jazz great Earl Klugh), and Arthur Neville’s “Why You Wanna Hurt My Heart?” and One Particular Harbour fills out handsomely.
Other notable musicians featured on One Particular Harbour are Timothy Schmit of Poco and Eagles renown, drummer Russell Kunkel, Bob Glaub on bass, and former Little Feat percussionist Sam Clayton. Rounding out the talent roll are singers Rita Coolidge and Bonnie Bramlett.
Showcasing as a Coral Reefer for the first time on One Particular Harbour is the lively free-form artistry and Caribbean glee of Robert Greenidge’s steel drums. Greenidge, who played his pans with Taj Mahal, J.J. Cale, and Grover Washington, Jr., will also join Jimmy on tour in the near future.
Readers of liner notes immediately will notice the production credits. Producing an album is like editing a movie: seat-of-the-pants attempts don’t work. But years of study and experience in the studio pay off handsomely. The combination of co-producer Mike Utley and Jimmy’s judgement and talents result here in a full and tasteful album.
The video scene has not escaped Jimmy’s attention. In fact, he was one of the first to participate in videos when in 1973 he did four videos to promote his work at a disc jockey and record company convention. Now, ten years later, under the direction of Oscar-winner Michael Nesmith, Jimmy will participate in videos to promote this album. The first scheduled is the hot “Livin’ It Up (Is Takin’ All Of Our Time)” which Jimmy co-wrote with guitarist Josh Leo and singer/songwriter J.D. Souther.
Beyond this new album and the broad touring schedule for this fall is another exciting Jimmy Buffett project. The rumoured production of the feature movie “Margaritaville” is now reality. Again, Michael Nesmith’s production company is on the scene. The first draft of the script is currently undergoing re-write and polishing, and Caribbean locations are being scouted. The story line? Put images and characters from Jimmy’s past ten years of tropical lyrics into a visual combination of music, sunshine, palm trees, and a strong touch of the romantic, and the film should be irresistible.
Like any artist who has successfully maintained a career (and, in rock and roll, thirteen years often is several careers), Jimmy Buffett has been able to blend the fun he touts in the songs with a professional attitude towards his performances and towards his fans. He gets the job done, and he has fun doing it. Jimmy continues to count album sales in the hundreds of thousands, and unfailingly packs concert halls both with loyal followers and new fans alike.
The well-established momentum continues its strong course. Jimmy is, above all, an entertainer. An entertainer whose great joy is to keep a smile on the face of the audience. It would seem that, in the ongoing craziness of the world in which we live, Jimmy Buffett’s One Particular Harbour is a perfect place to be.

"The night wrote a check the morning couldn't cash."
jayparrot46
Hoot!

Re: One Particular Harbour

Post by jayparrot46 »

a great album [smilie=gt-happyup.gif] [smilie=hiya.gif]