FL Keys / Key West

This is a travelogue area for places to visit, stay, eat, etc...

Moderator: SMLCHNG

Crazy Navy Flyer
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 100
Favorite Boat Drink: rum

Re: FL Keys / Key West

Post by Crazy Navy Flyer »

Thanks for the great pics and travelogue, Wayne, beautiful! I lived on board TRADEWIND at Ft Myers Beach for several years and made it to Cabbage Key often, as well as South Seas Plantation. Is the Bubble Room still out there on the island?

And KW is KW, what can be said, paradise!

Glad you had a great time. BTW, Mike may be here in September and wants to get together for an adult beverage or twelve.
Back to livin' Floridays
Parrotthed
I need two more boat drinks
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by Parrotthed »

Ah, Key West of the mind....

My wife and I have been visiting down there every couple of years since 1987. We stay for a week at a time. One of our better trips was when we rented a house on Havana Lane near the cemetery and next to a large family of Cubans. We could smell them cooking what had to be a tasty dinner every evening amid the sounds of Latin music and Latin voices. We felt like locals.

In fact, some locals even mistook us for locals when we rode bikes to Fausto's on White Street. And some tourists even thought we were locals, stopping to ask us directions and suggestions for dinner.

And there is/was a waitress at Sloppy Joe's who remembered us even though she didn't see us for two-year intervals at a time.

I have found me a home.... 8)
"I heard I was in town...."
tikitodd
I have found me a home
Number of Concerts: 9
Favorite Boat Drink: red stripe while sittin' at BO's

Post by tikitodd »

FLYING INTO KEY WEST...

Planning a trip to KW this November or December. Been many times. Our last few trips we would fly Southwest from BWI (Baltimore) to Tampa, transfer to a smaller Air Tran plane, then into KW. My understanding, Southwest owns Air Tran. So, as most of you probably know, Southwest no longer flies into KW. Anyone have any suggestions or know of any smaller airlines that fly into KW from any main land Florida airports?

We have done the rental car thing many times from the Fort Lauderdale airport, driving the Keys. I love doing that, but we like not having a rental car once in KW, and love just flying out of KW to avoid driving up through the Keys to get to the airport, and avoiding the stress of getting stopped behind a crash, etc.

We would consider flying to perhaps Fort Lauderdale and renting a car, drive to KW, then turn in the car once arriving. Need to know of an airline that flies out of KW to a Florida mainland airport.

Of course, I would love for "No Plane on Sunday" and just hang in KW a tad bit longer! Thanks for any suggestions you can send my way...
Last edited by tikitodd on August 19, 2014 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image lovin' that ragtop day ImageImage
LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

I haven't been to KW in a few years but when I lived in NY I flew JFK/FLL/KW on Continental. I don't know if Continental still flies to KW since the merger with United.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
tikitodd
I have found me a home
Number of Concerts: 9
Favorite Boat Drink: red stripe while sittin' at BO's

Post by tikitodd »

LIPH wrote:I haven't been to KW in a few years but when I lived in NY I flew JFK/FLL/KW on Continental. I don't know if Continental still flies to KW since the merger with United.
Thanks LIPH, will check into it.

Thanks again.
Image lovin' that ragtop day ImageImage
seminoledq
If we weren't all crazy ...
Favorite Buffett Song: King of Somewhere Hot
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: Key West Sunset Ale

Post by seminoledq »

We just got back from being in KW for Lobsterfest, which was an absolute blast. We went to some of our normal haunts and tried some new places. One I would highly recommend to the group is https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fritas-C ... 8923350863. Right across the street from Charlie Mac's on Southard. They recently opened and we are glad they did. The burgers are beef, pork & chorizo and they are amazing. Don't plan to sit down and be waited on, it's take out street food. Grab a 6pack from the walgreens to wach them down with (across Duval from here) and thank me later.
catsway
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: Quietly Making Noise
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: The one in my Hand

Post by catsway »

seminoledq wrote:We just got back from being in KW for Lobsterfest, which was an absolute blast. We went to some of our normal haunts and tried some new places. One I would highly recommend to the group is https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fritas-C ... 8923350863. Right across the street from Charlie Mac's on Southard. They recently opened and we are glad they did. The burgers are beef, pork & chorizo and they are amazing. Don't plan to sit down and be waited on, it's take out street food. Grab a 6pack from the walgreens to wach them down with (across Duval from here) and thank me later.
We're on it. Thank you!
Sell Your Stuff, Keep the Dog, Live on an Island
Image JB & Sonny Image Cat & Way Image Mr. Utley
Dr.Corona
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Apocalypso..no..Semi-True Story..no.Creola..no..REGGAE ACCIDENT!!
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: As if you HAD to ask!!

Post by Dr.Corona »

seminoledq wrote:We just got back from being in KW for Lobsterfest, which was an absolute blast. We went to some of our normal haunts and tried some new places. One I would highly recommend to the group is https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fritas-C ... 8923350863. Right across the street from Charlie Mac's on Southard. They recently opened and we are glad they did. The burgers are beef, pork & chorizo and they are amazing. Don't plan to sit down and be waited on, it's take out street food. Grab a 6pack from the walgreens to wach them down with (across Duval from here) and thank me later.
Burger sounds awesome. Know exactly where Charlie Mac's is so will be easy to find. Will be there with a vegetarian friend so this will be interesting trying to find places that will satisfy both palates. If any other pholks who favor the vegetarian lifestyle can give some good tips I would appreciate it!
Corona by day, Corona by night, any old time is just alright!Image
Rabbitz
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: Growing Older
Number of Concerts: 2
Favorite Boat Drink: Rhum and Pineapple

Post by Rabbitz »

Hey Doc,

How do you know if someone is vegetarian?????

Don't worry, they'll tell you......
(again and again)

:)
Always be yourself
Unless you can be Batman
Then always be Batman
Dr.Corona
Favorite Buffett Song: Apocalypso..no..Semi-True Story..no.Creola..no..REGGAE ACCIDENT!!

Post by Dr.Corona »

I know it's been covered before but seems like conflicting stories abound. So in renting a car from Lauderdale & driving down to KW I've read about options wherein you "pre-pay" for tolls from the rental company. I have read where if you don't you get "charged" when passing the cashless tolls & you end up with a bill from the rental car company weeks later. I've also read some pholks didn't do the pre-pay, yet end up receiving NO bill later for the tolls from the rental company.

Any new updated news regarding this?

THANKS!
msu#1
Behind Door #3

Post by msu#1 »

Some one tell me about fly fishing the keys? Also going to key west alone solo trip.

Been a rough 8 months and like Kenny and jimmy need to escape awhile. I have all of Feb off of work and need to do some soul searching and fishing.
Lake Erie Pirate scientist
tgatorglass
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Captain and The Kid
Number of Concerts: 60
Favorite Boat Drink: Captain Morgan Mojito

Post by tgatorglass »

Fishing in the Keys is fantastic. Of course, check the Guide pages down there for what is running at what time of the year you go.
For fishing I usually end up in Islamorada versus all the way down to Key West. Pine Key and the Sand Keys are also good choices.
If you are looking for something totally off the grid, go visit the Tortuga's. Limited travel back and forth but well worth the trip.
As for going solo - why the heck not! You can always wander about and find someone to talk to down there.
Sadly for me, the last 3 trips down to Key West was all work and no play.......
Good luck and enjoy!
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
Another Jimmy
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Son of a Son of a (Canadian)
Favorite Boat Drink: Lime, ice, a pitcher...

Post by Another Jimmy »

Just back from from our second-ever visit to The Keys.
Paradise: 80 and sunny daily.
Rented bikes, hit the haunts, ate Cuban...
Nice chat with Scott Kirby at the Smokin' Tuna. He has plans to be back in Ontario this summer.
Good times listening and talking to http://www.rustylemmon.com at Conch Republic Seafood – with Shrimpboat Sound over his shoulder – and the Sunset Tiki Bar at the Galleon Resort. Superb voice.
We'll be back.
Proud to be a Parrothead since 1977
seminoledq
If we weren't all crazy ...
Favorite Buffett Song: King of Somewhere Hot
Favorite Boat Drink: Key West Sunset Ale

Post by seminoledq »

I can't believe it has been over a year since there has been an addition to this thread. We are booked for a week in August and staying at a place in Truman Annex. Has anyone been on one of those party boat fishing trips as opposed to a private charter? Good/bad?
CrznDnUS1
License to Chill
Favorite Buffett Song: I Have Found A Home
Number of Concerts: 12
Favorite Boat Drink: Mezcal

Post by CrznDnUS1 »

we took a private charter from MellowVentures last year and it was the best trip we have done so far. although it was not for fishing we went out to paddle board around deserted mangroves and to Boca Grande Key on of the best days in KW and well worth the money.
"The most aggravating thing about the younger generation is that I no longer belong to it." - Albert Einstein
keynorthwestprthd
Gypsies in the palace
Favorite Buffett Song: Savannah Fare You Well
Number of Concerts: 3
Favorite Boat Drink: Mango Margarita

Post by keynorthwestprthd »

I have been seriously considering a trip to the Key next summer. I love Florida and have been a couple times the last couple years. I did the Orlando/Disney/Universal thing with day trips to Clearwater/Cocoa Beach/Daytona Beach. I need to do the Keys next and Miami also!
Dr.Corona

Post by Dr.Corona »

keynorthwestprthd wrote: October 26, 2017 11:48 pm I have been seriously considering a trip to the Key next summer. I love Florida and have been a couple times the last couple years. I did the Orlando/Disney/Universal thing with day trips to Clearwater/Cocoa Beach/Daytona Beach. I need to do the Keys next and Miami also!
You can skip Miami.........Lay back in the Keys mon!
Dr.Corona

Post by Dr.Corona »

This weekend Governor of Florida reopened Florida bars & restaurants to 100% capacity. Said the new order overrides any local governments policies. Anyone rethinking road trippin' to KW later this fall now?

https://wusfnews.wusf.usf.edu/politics- ... -that-mean
tailgaitingph
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: Manana or CILCIA
Favorite Boat Drink: Yes please

Post by tailgaitingph »

Dr.Corona wrote: September 28, 2020 3:39 pm This weekend Governor of Florida reopened Florida bars & restaurants to 100% capacity. Said the new order overrides any local governments policies. Anyone rethinking road trippin' to KW later this fall now?

SOO happy to hear this!
I will be there for a few days at the end of Oct 8)
Dr.Corona

Post by Dr.Corona »

tailgaitingph wrote: September 28, 2020 3:51 pm
Dr.Corona wrote: September 28, 2020 3:39 pm This weekend Governor of Florida reopened Florida bars & restaurants to 100% capacity. Said the new order overrides any local governments policies. Anyone rethinking road trippin' to KW later this fall now?

SOO happy to hear this!
I will be there for a few days at the end of Oct 8)
What are you hearing regarding musicians making their way to KW during this period? Anything?