Where to eat the original Cheeseburger?

This is a travelogue area for places to visit, stay, eat, etc...

Moderator: SMLCHNG

catsway
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: Quietly Making Noise
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: The one in my Hand

Where to eat the original Cheeseburger?

Post by catsway »

We will be visiting St. Thomas for a week in October, 2008. We want to ferry over to Tortola to have an original cheesebuger in paradise. From Jimmy's notes, he never actually identifies the name of the restaurant where he was served the famous hunk of meat. Can anyone give us the name of the restaurant? Thanks for the help.
Sell Your Stuff, Keep the Dog, Live on an Island
Image JB & Sonny Image Cat & Way Image Mr. Utley
flipflopgirl
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 53
Favorite Boat Drink: Z-Man's MANGO THINGIES!!!!!
Location: I have been promoted from John Frinzi's stalker to ROADIE!!!! :)

Post by flipflopgirl »

the menu i have from the Orlando Margaritaville tells the story but does not say the restaurant by name.

"We limped up the Sir Francis Drake Channel and into Roadtown on the island of Tortola, where a brand new marina and bar sat on the end of the dock like a mirage." 8) :lol:
Image "While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats." Mark Twain
catsway
I Love the Now!

Post by catsway »

flipflopgirl wrote:the menu i have from the Orlando Margaritaville tells the story but does not say the restaurant by name.

"We limped up the Sir Francis Drake Channel and into Roadtown on the island of Tortola, where a brand new marina and bar sat on the end of the dock like a mirage." 8) :lol:
Flip Flop, I read the same notes on the CIP menu and on the Jimmy's notes here on BN. I have Googled "original cheeseburher in paradise" and have come up empty so far. We have some friends on St. Croix, maybe they will help us out.
AlbatrossFlyer
Schoolboy heart & a license to fly
Number of Concerts: 0

Re: Where to eat the original Cheeseburger?

Post by AlbatrossFlyer »

catsway wrote:We will be visiting St. Thomas for a week in October, 2008. We want to ferry over to Tortola to have an original cheesebuger in paradise. From Jimmy's notes, he never actually identifies the name of the restaurant where he was served the famous hunk of meat. Can anyone give us the name of the restaurant? Thanks for the help.
village cay marina.....

I'd feel bad for you, but I have no soul.....

If you can't do it with brains, you won't do it with hours - Kelly Johnson
flipflopgirl
Last Man Standing

Post by flipflopgirl »

AlbatrossFlyer wrote:
catsway wrote:We will be visiting St. Thomas for a week in October, 2008. We want to ferry over to Tortola to have an original cheesebuger in paradise. From Jimmy's notes, he never actually identifies the name of the restaurant where he was served the famous hunk of meat. Can anyone give us the name of the restaurant? Thanks for the help.
village cay marina.....
aaahhhhh i was waiting for one of our island Flyers to show up!!! :lol: :lol: 8) 8)
Image "While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats." Mark Twain
catsway
I Love the Now!

Post by catsway »

AlbatrossFlyer wrote:
village cay marina.....
That seems to be the best answer to date. I found these two articles on the "other" Buffett web site.

Response #1
Nearly 30 year since Jimmy Buffett sang its praises, several Caribbean restaurants still claim to have inspired the legendary "Cheeseburger in Paradise." According to margaritaville.com, Buffett and crew were on a boat rip gone awry, subsisting on canned food and peanut butter before limping into port on Tortola. Famished, the group ordred cheeseburgers from a local beach bar, which arrived overdone on burnt buns. Nevertheless, they inspired Buffett's 1978 hit. Today St. Barts' Le Select and Ma Ruby's Restaurant in the Bahamas claim to be the originators of the burger - with lettuce, tomato, Heinz 57, fries and a kosher pickle. But Stanley's Welcome Bar and Restaurant on Tortola has the most legitimate claim to fame. - Emily Kruckemyer

Response #2
From an American Airlines Travel Mag interview with Jimmy:
ONE HUNGRY DAY IN THE CARIBBEAN
“I can tell you how ‘Cheeseburger in Paradise’ got written. It was probably 1974, and I was on my very first boat, a 33-foot sailboat. We had gotten into some weather and had to go into Ponce in Puerto Rico to get fixed. We sailed from Ponce with a rigged-up bow spread that was broken, and it was a rough passage. We sailed into Roatán, got off the boat, and were starving. We were dying for a cheeseburger after being at sea for 10 days eating fish. And there, like an oasis, was this brand-new restaurant at the Village Cay Marina. We went in and just started gobbling cheeseburgers and drinking piña coladas because we were so glad to be on land. We had about three cheeseburgers each. For some reason, as I was walking out I looked and saw a package in the kitchen and the label was written in French: Cuoderrie Produit de Cheval. Do you know what cheval is? Horse. I went back to the guy and said, ‘This will never do. You’ve got a good idea here, but you’ve got to take the horse meat off the menu.’ We went back the next day and the owner was very proud that he’d gotten real hamburger from Puerto Rico, and we sampled the cheeseburgers again. I wrote the song right there: ‘Cheeseburger in paradise, heaven on earth with an onion slice.’”

We are going to Stanley's Welcome Bar and Restaurant!
AlbatrossFlyer
Schoolboy heart & a license to fly

Post by AlbatrossFlyer »

flipflopgirl wrote:
AlbatrossFlyer wrote:
village cay marina.....
aaahhhhh i was waiting for one of our island Flyers to show up!!! :lol: :lol: 8) 8)

8)

I'd feel bad for you, but I have no soul.....

If you can't do it with brains, you won't do it with hours - Kelly Johnson
lilsalty
License to Chill
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: Mic's Nilla Killa...SDB, BVI

Post by lilsalty »

We went to Stanley's and enjoyed cheeseburgers and pina coladas! Great spot!! Plus there are about 7 or 8 more beach bars lining Cane Garden Bay to enjoy many cold beers :D
"Clive!! The cooler!!" -- CDIII aboard the Shamwari, BVI.
flipflopgirl
Last Man Standing

Post by flipflopgirl »

lilsalty wrote:We went to Stanley's and enjoyed cheeseburgers and pina coladas! Great spot!! Plus there are about 7 or 8 more beach bars lining Cane Garden Bay to enjoy many cold beers :D
[smilie=cwl.gif] [smilie=cwl.gif] [smilie=cwl.gif] i wanna go back to Cane Garden Bay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
catsway
I Love the Now!

Post by catsway »

We did our own version of a paradise burger tonight on the grille. My lips are dancing! A beautiful day at the beach and a burger with a buzz. Life is sweet on Miramar Beach. Go away Fay!
lilsalty
License to Chill
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: Mic's Nilla Killa...SDB, BVI

Post by lilsalty »

flipflopgirl wrote:
lilsalty wrote:We went to Stanley's and enjoyed cheeseburgers and pina coladas! Great spot!! Plus there are about 7 or 8 more beach bars lining Cane Garden Bay to enjoy many cold beers :D
[smilie=cwl.gif] [smilie=cwl.gif] [smilie=cwl.gif] i wanna go back to Cane Garden Bay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ME TOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! I could easily spend today enjoying cold beers, conch fritters, and long swims in CGB...ahhhh
"Clive!! The cooler!!" -- CDIII aboard the Shamwari, BVI.
catsway
I Love the Now!

Thank you Jimmy

Post by catsway »

We just want to thank Jimmy for answering our question for this thread. While listening to the Atlantic City show from 8/24/08, he mentioned the location of that Cheeseburger in Paradise....Village Cay Marina in Road Town Tortola. So we will take the ferry over from Red Hook, St Thomas to Road Town, take a taxi over to Cane Garden Bay and have a dip. Boat drinks at Stanley's Welcome Bar, catch some tunes at Quitos Gazebo and then head back to Road Town and the Marina for dinner and cocktails before the ferry takes us back to Red Hook. Mission accomplished.
mommar
On a Salty Piece of Land

Re: Thank you Jimmy

Post by mommar »

catsway wrote:We just want to thank Jimmy for answering our question for this thread. While listening to the Atlantic City show from 8/24/08, he mentioned the location of that Cheeseburger in Paradise....Village Cay Marina in Road Town Tortola. So we will take the ferry over from Red Hook, St Thomas to Road Town, take a taxi over to Cane Garden Bay and have a dip. Boat drinks at Stanley's Welcome Bar, catch some tunes at Quitos Gazebo and then head back to Road Town and the Marina for dinner and cocktails before the ferry takes us back to Red Hook. Mission accomplished.
When I heard him say that last nite, I figured his people must have told him about this thread. :)
http://dolphinlandings.com/
Been There, Done That, Had A Blast, and hopefully I'm doing it again!!
ContinentalDrifterIII
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Number of Concerts: 28
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita-Rocks-Salt

Post by ContinentalDrifterIII »

lilsalty wrote:
flipflopgirl wrote:
ME TOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! I could easily spend today enjoying cold beers, conch fritters, and long swims in CGB...ahhhh
Stanley's rules! Nothing like sitting on the beach enjoying a delicious juicy cheesburger and a cold pina colada :D
YOU CAN'T DRINK ALL DAY IF YOU DON'T START IN THE MORNING

JoNeS BeAcH 8/21/14
catsway
I Love the Now!

Re: Thank you Jimmy

Post by catsway »

mommar wrote:
catsway wrote:We just want to thank Jimmy for answering our question for this thread. While listening to the Atlantic City show from 8/24/08, he mentioned the location of that Cheeseburger in Paradise....Village Cay Marina in Road Town Tortola. So we will take the ferry over from Red Hook, St Thomas to Road Town, take a taxi over to Cane Garden Bay and have a dip. Boat drinks at Stanley's Welcome Bar, catch some tunes at Quitos Gazebo and then head back to Road Town and the Marina for dinner and cocktails before the ferry takes us back to Red Hook. Mission accomplished.
When I heard him say that last nite, I figured his people must have told him about this thread. :)
Cool, well if they are still reading.....when is Jimmy going to do Florida again? :lol: We'll be listening to Jones Beach on Wednesday.
RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Post by RinglingRingling »

flipflopgirl wrote:
John Frinzi hasn't played CGB since.. '97
CaptainP
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 40
Favorite Boat Drink: Delicious Trappist Ales

Post by CaptainP »

I have probably been to 20 restaurants that claim to be the place...
SharkOnLand
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine

Post by SharkOnLand »

Why would you want to eat a crappy burnt cheeseburger?
Image Image
flipflopgirl
Last Man Standing

Post by flipflopgirl »

CaptainP wrote:I have probably been to 20 restaurants that claim to be the place...
at the AC show the other night he said he wrote it in Tortola! 8) :lol: :lol:
flipflopgirl
Last Man Standing

Post by flipflopgirl »

RinglingRingling wrote:
flipflopgirl wrote:
John Frinzi hasn't played CGB since.. '97
:roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: i did get to see him play on the beach in St.Thomas!!!! [smilie=battingeyes.gif] [smilie=battingeyes.gif] 8)