What're Some Songs Jimmy Should Cover?

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

andygradel75
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbor
Number of Concerts: 9
Favorite Boat Drink: Hurricane

Re: What're Some Songs Jimmy Should Cover?

Post by andygradel75 »

I like the covers, but I want to be at least a little surprised and not have the same ones night in and night out. (Outside of "Southern Cross," of course.)

Could be fun hearing him do "I Love This Bar" by Toby Keith, maybe even adding a verse of his own.
Andy Gradel
If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane.
atmarler26
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Manana and One Particular Harbor
Number of Concerts: 1

Post by atmarler26 »

Didn't Jimmy write in one of his books (Pirate Looks at Fifty) that the really old 1950's song "26 Miles (Santa Catalina)" by The Four Preps was always one of his favorites? But pretty sure he has never actually performed/covered it....

Or what about Jay Ferguson's Thunder Island?
"The last time we played here in 2004 in September, the Red Sox won the World Series in October. I'm thinking the same thing this year, how 'bout you?" -Jimmy Buffett, 8/9/2018
atmarler26
I have found me a home

Post by atmarler26 »

bonefish wrote: April 2, 2019 4:38 pm "Cool Change" by Little River Band.
I never particularly cared for that song, even though I am a fan of the LRB in general (have even seen them perform live) and like most of their other songs. Lyrically though it would be a good fit for JB.
"The last time we played here in 2004 in September, the Red Sox won the World Series in October. I'm thinking the same thing this year, how 'bout you?" -Jimmy Buffett, 8/9/2018
DAB
I need two more boat drinks
Favorite Buffett Song: The Wino and I know
Number of Concerts: 4

Post by DAB »

I've always wondered what Jimmy would do to this...

https://youtu.be/f4NAiNpK924
FarsideCobbPH
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: ?
Number of Concerts: 19
Location: Carroll county, GA, and Fayette County GA and Destin florida

Post by FarsideCobbPH »

Vahevala, by Loggins and Messina!
What if the hokey pokey is really what it's all about?
parrothappy
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Migration, Biloxi, Door Number 3, City of New Orleans
Number of Concerts: 40
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita, of course

Post by parrothappy »

While I also prefer Jimmy doing his own stuff (I'll make an exception for a Steve Goodman song), I heard this song written by a fellow named John Perry Barlow called "These Waves". It was written for and performed by String Cheese Incident at the Auditorium Theater in Chicago on November 7, 2019, in this clip. I immediately thought that I would like to hear Jimmy and the Reefers attempt it.

https://archive.org/details/sci2019-11- ... Waves.flac

See what you think about it. Thanks.
"The 4th of July, alright. Happy Birthday America. How much beer do you think was drunk in America today......two six-packs...three?"

Jimmy on July 4th, 1980 in Minneapolis
atmarler26
I have found me a home

Post by atmarler26 »

lime rickie wrote: December 18, 2019 10:05 pmNot averse to covers. I really love Everyone's Talkin', Into the Mystic, Reggaebillly Hill and many others.
I'm not averse to them either, as one could probably guess given the amount of times I've posted on this thread. Understand that he has a ton in his catalogue, and you obviously want the large majority of the show to be his songs but I enjoy hearing his take on other people's songs once or twice a show as long as the song is a good fit for his style, of course. Especially if it's a cover that's rare and unique. Of the ones he has done frequently, his covers of Knee Deep are better than the ZBB studio version IMO, and always thought his covers of Another Saturday Night were better than Sam Cooke and Cat Stevens' versions. And as overplayed as B.E.G. has been over the years, both in terms of the number of plays on FM radio and the frequency of it appearing in Buffett's setlists, it has still always been one of my favorite songs of all time. The best live version of it he ever did for me was in Indianapolis in 1999 during the Beach House on The Moon tour right after the USWNT won the Women's World Cup on home soil. I have actually even heard that live version played on a mainstream FM radio station before, believe it or not (around 2004).

Another ballad that he could maybe do a good cover of is Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald, although there are two reasons that one might not work: 1) it is almost six minutes long and would thus take up a large chunk of concert time and 2) Gordon Lightfoot's original vocal take was so perfect that just about anyone covering it wouldn't totally do it justice.

Pretty sure City of New Orleans is the only Arlo Guthrie song Jimmy has covered.....there is one other that clearly would not work for fairly obvious reasons (Alice's Restaurant) but other than those two, there are definitely others in Arlo's catalogue that could be a good fit for Buffett like Coming Into Los Angeles.
atmarler26
I have found me a home

Post by atmarler26 »

Nadirah Shakoor performed "Use Me" during the 2011 Welcome to Fin Land tour. Whenever it ends up being safe for this year's tour to get going, maybe that could be brought back as a tribute to Bill Withers.
atmarler26
I have found me a home

Post by atmarler26 »

Sometimes a cover can be unique just based on the particular location he is playing. When he played in Bangor Maine back in 2016 for the first time ever, a cover of King of the Road by Roger Miller would have been fitting just as a one time thing since that song mentions Bangor in the lyrics and it's a decent fit for him anyway. Thought that was a missed opportunity.
SeattleParrotHead
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: Island, 12v Man
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: Mai Tais @ Dukes

Post by SeattleParrotHead »

ImageImage

I know the voices in my head aren’t real, but sometimes they have really good ideas…..
SPH
Bicycle Bill
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything with rum and pineapple juice!

Post by Bicycle Bill »

I think he might have fun with "Two Pina Coladas" — ("I gotta have one for each hand!")
In fact, the first time I heard it (on a jukebox back in the '90s) I thought it WAS a new song from Jimmy.
-"BB"-
"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead."
"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way."
moog
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by moog »

I still say Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. Then he can bite the cap off a Landshark beer.
atmarler26
I have found me a home

Post by atmarler26 »

Jimmy should definitely cover Do It Again by the Beach Boys whenever concerts end up resuming later this year. Why? Because it was a single that was eventually put on the 20/20 album, and there were obviously no concerts in 2020. The song is about nostalgia and reminiscing about old times, and since we have been missing Buffett concerts for so long it would be a perfect fit.
LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

When (if?) concerts start again, Buffett should do a setlist of nothing but his own songs. I became a Jimmy Buffett fan because I liked his songs, not all the $h!tty cover songs he does.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
dnw
Last Man Standing

Post by dnw »

LIPH wrote: January 13, 2021 4:06 pm When (if?) concerts start again, Buffett should do a setlist of nothing but his own songs. I became a Jimmy Buffett fan because I liked his songs, not all the $h!tty cover songs he does.

Amen!

Debbie
SMLCHNG
Favorite Buffett Song: Lovely Cruise/Bubbles Up
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Extra dirty gin martini

Post by SMLCHNG »

dnw wrote: January 13, 2021 5:31 pm
LIPH wrote: January 13, 2021 4:06 pm When (if?) concerts start again, Buffett should do a setlist of nothing but his own songs. I became a Jimmy Buffett fan because I liked his songs, not all the $h!tty cover songs he does.
Amen!
Amen! x2
atmarler26
I have found me a home

Post by atmarler26 »

I became a Jimmy Buffett fan first and foremost because I like his songs, but also because he has such a unique style of music that his takes on other people's songs are special!

That said, there are some covers he has done that were indeed very bad- like Glory Days for example. That was an example of a song that wasn't a good fit for him at all, and why he covered it back in 2007 is beyond me. I only want to hear covers where both the lyrics and style of music are a good fit for him, or the song is appropriate based on the location he's playing.
Rabbitz
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: Growing Older
Number of Concerts: 2
Favorite Boat Drink: Rhum and Pineapple

Post by Rabbitz »

I thought his rendition of "Free Falling" at the end of the Hordern Pavillion gig in Sydney wasn't so good...

:D :D

What?

Too soon?

:lol: 8)
Always be yourself
Unless you can be Batman
Then always be Batman
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie »

Aside from covers that are meaningful to JB, which of course he should do, I think the cover should fit his general theme/image. I love a cover that's both a surprise but also a pleasant surprise.

Wild Flowers did that for me. Everybody's Talkin'. Into the Mystic. All Night Long was so much better than I expected, I love it. I was already a Lionel fan, so maybe that helped.

If there's a vote? I stand by Hot Fun in the Summertime. Can hear it in my head with the pans, Mac doing "County Fair in the country sun...". Such an oldie but goodie. The audience knows it and will dance and sing along. :wench:
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

tailgaitingph
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: Manana or CILCIA
Favorite Boat Drink: Yes please

Post by tailgaitingph »

Into The Mystic/Free will always be on my list!
Sorry, not sorry!!