The official 2008 Play "Turning Around" in Detroit thread

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

msu#1
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 0

Re: The official 2008 Play "Turning Around" in Detroit

Post by msu#1 »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
HD18JBGuy wrote:
sonofabeach wrote:
HD18JBGuy wrote:
sonofabeach wrote:maybe he'll pay "Werewolves of London" again and follow it with "Elvis Immitators".......and then bring down the house with the "Hokey Pokey" song
YES!! But I do like Werewolves.

Not sure if you know this or if you are a Steve Goodman fan, but as bad as "Elvis Immitators" is, there is kind of a joke about that song. It was so bad, and originally written by Jimmy and Steve Goodman, that it was kind of a dare by Goodman for Jimmy to record it. But Jimmy wouldn't "admit" it at first and said it was Marvin Gardens and crew who did it.
the Werewolves chorus makes me cringe.
Actually I do like Elvis Immitators. It's a fun song & I think Jimmy does a pretty good King impersonation. It's one that had to grow on me.
Ahhh Woooooo...yeah its a little weird. But so was Warren Zevon.
Anybody besides me hear the opening riffs of the Kid Rock song "All Summer Long", and get ticked off because it *ISN'T* "Werewolves"??
As far as I'm concerned, he owes at least a co-writer credit to Warren.
-"BB"-
Kid Rock said in multiple interviews that "All summer long" is a mash up of WErewolves and Sweet home Alamaba because he noticed one day drunk on the boat that the chord patterns in both songs are the same. He then mashed it up with new words and had a new hit-in Michigan at least. Both writers got credits. The Kid still does sampling from his older hip hop days but doesnt try to pass it off as his own creation.
Lake Erie Pirate scientist
HD18JBGuy
I need two more boat drinks
Favorite Buffett Song: My Head Hurts, My Feet Stink, and I Don't Love Jesus
Number of Concerts: 24

Post by HD18JBGuy »

msu#1 wrote:
Bicycle Bill wrote:
HD18JBGuy wrote:
sonofabeach wrote:
HD18JBGuy wrote:
sonofabeach wrote:maybe he'll pay "Werewolves of London" again and follow it with "Elvis Immitators".......and then bring down the house with the "Hokey Pokey" song
YES!! But I do like Werewolves.

Not sure if you know this or if you are a Steve Goodman fan, but as bad as "Elvis Immitators" is, there is kind of a joke about that song. It was so bad, and originally written by Jimmy and Steve Goodman, that it was kind of a dare by Goodman for Jimmy to record it. But Jimmy wouldn't "admit" it at first and said it was Marvin Gardens and crew who did it.
the Werewolves chorus makes me cringe.
Actually I do like Elvis Immitators. It's a fun song & I think Jimmy does a pretty good King impersonation. It's one that had to grow on me.
Ahhh Woooooo...yeah its a little weird. But so was Warren Zevon.
Anybody besides me hear the opening riffs of the Kid Rock song "All Summer Long", and get ticked off because it *ISN'T* "Werewolves"??
As far as I'm concerned, he owes at least a co-writer credit to Warren.
-"BB"-
Kid Rock said in multiple interviews that "All summer long" is a mash up of WErewolves and Sweet home Alamaba because he noticed one day drunk on the boat that the chord patterns in both songs are the same. He then mashed it up with new words and had a new hit-in Michigan at least. Both writers got credits. The Kid still does sampling from his older hip hop days but doesnt try to pass it off as his own creation.
Gotta say, while not the most talented guy around, I like some of his stuff. Being from Southeast, Michigan, I have to give him some respect and love. He makes some pretty fun songs to party to. Plus, I have friends that know him personally. I met him a few times and he is really a stand up, nice guy, despite the dirt bag, trailer trash image he likes to pull off. He grew up in the Northen suburbs of Detroit and likes to cater to the vast blue collar types in Macomb County, Michigan. He stays pretty true to his roots.
"I'm growing older, but not up!"
msu#1
Behind Door #3

Post by msu#1 »

Yeah, if you ever meet Kid Rock I dont think anyone would walk away saying "Man that guy is a jerk" it just wont happen, he really is a nice guy.

but back to the original topic. I really think "Turning Around" is the theme of Michigan this year. Were gonna turn this s*** around.

Sometimes I feel
like a propeller
Spin Spin out of control
I don't know who's up
on the throttle
Oh I wish they'd let it go.

All I ever do is get dizzy Thinkin' thinkin' things left undone Been stuck here so long now here on zero I'd just like to make it to one

Turnin' around Heros and clown(s) Holdin' my ground Oh I've been down I'm Turnin Around
LivingOutMy2ndChance
If we weren't all crazy ...
Favorite Buffett Song: That's What Livin' Is to Me
Favorite Boat Drink: hmmmmm???

Post by LivingOutMy2ndChance »

We have a recording of Steve Goodman playing in a bar and he introduces Elvis Imitators by telling the story of how his friend Jimmy Buffett even recorded it, but was too embarrassed to use his own name, so he recorded it as Freddy and the Fishsticks.
"Humor is an essential part of our existence" -JB
looking4OPH
License to Chill
Favorite Buffett Song: Livingston Saturday Night
Number of Concerts: 8
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita (frozen, salt); drink, repeat

Post by looking4OPH »

LivingOutMy2ndChance wrote:We have a recording of Steve Goodman playing in a bar and he introduces Elvis Imitators by telling the story of how his friend Jimmy Buffett even recorded it, but was too embarrassed to use his own name, so he recorded it as Freddy and the Fishsticks.
That sounds really cool. Any chance you would share that recording? You could FTP it up to the Jokelben server or maybe contact SunLover to host on his?
HD18JBGuy
I need two more boat drinks
Favorite Buffett Song: My Head Hurts, My Feet Stink, and I Don't Love Jesus

Post by HD18JBGuy »

LivingOutMy2ndChance wrote:We have a recording of Steve Goodman playing in a bar and he introduces Elvis Imitators by telling the story of how his friend Jimmy Buffett even recorded it, but was too embarrassed to use his own name, so he recorded it as Freddy and the Fishsticks.

Yep, you are correct. I have the same recording. See my post above...and, yep, it was Freddy and the Fishsticks with Marvin Gardens, Al Vocado, Kitty Litter, etc.
"I'm growing older, but not up!"
msu#1
Behind Door #3

Post by msu#1 »

bump
bonefish
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: There's a cowboy in the jungle
Number of Concerts: 53
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum punch in the islands

Post by bonefish »

"Turning Around" was in the movie 'Summer Rental' with John Candy (just in case you didn't know, but you probably did...)

Another coincident to this is that during Spring Break '94, my buddies and I were in the car on the way to Key West when the news came on the radio that Candy had died. We burned a few bowls in his honor.
Roll with the punches
Play all of his hunches
Make the best of whatever came his way
What he lacked in ambition
He made up with intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
[img][imgsize=][imgsize=][/imgsize]
msu#1
Behind Door #3

Post by msu#1 »

Bump for Comerica Park

18 years since Candy died.

27 years since the premiere of "Summer Rental"
msu#1
Behind Door #3

Post by msu#1 »

bump for the Margarillas on facebook. :wink:
FINSUPinIdaho
License to Chill
Favorite Buffett Song: APLA40
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: Why, you buying???

Post by FINSUPinIdaho »

I saw the Margarillas post on FB and thought of this thread. Hope he plays it for ya!

Trying to swing the Michigan State/Boise State game. Should be a good one (I hope).
msu#1
Behind Door #3

Post by msu#1 »

FINSUPinIdaho wrote:I saw the Margarillas post on FB and thought of this thread. Hope he plays it for ya!

Trying to swing the Michigan State/Boise State game. Should be a good one (I hope).
Yeah, I dont know what the game will be like. You guys lost everyone, we lost our QB and will be breaking in a new but very good one. Our defense will be one of the best in the county.

Friday night under the lights on Labor day weekend will be a great atmosphere. However msu tailgating is best when it starts a 7am and goes to 7pm. This game will only have tailgating from 3 to 7.
msu#1
Behind Door #3

Post by msu#1 »

Bump,

since Detroit is on deck now.
msu#1
Behind Door #3

Post by msu#1 »

Bump-5 days
msu#1
Behind Door #3

Post by msu#1 »

bump

for the 3 weeks of practice.
msu#1
Behind Door #3

Post by msu#1 »

bump

for the 3 weeks of practice.
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

looking4OPH wrote:
That sounds really cool. Any chance you would share that recording? You could FTP it up to the Jokelben server or maybe contact SunLover to host on his?
It's on the Buffett box set Boats, Beaches, Bars & Ballads. It was originally issued on 45 back in 1981. I have a promo copy of it stashed away in my vinyl collection somewhere.

msu#1
Behind Door #3

Post by msu#1 »

bump come on Jimmy....perfect duet with Jackson just sitting right there.
msu#1
Behind Door #3

Post by msu#1 »

bump

1 month to go. Get it done Jimmy. No need to leave this song at the bottom of the old memory box anymore
FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Ice Cold Loaded Landshark

Post by FinsUp6835 »

FINSUPinIdaho wrote:I saw the Margarillas post on FB and thought of this thread. Hope he plays it for ya!

We should start a petition similar to Nautical Wheelers for a change in set list. I was so pumped to watch Margaritaville.tv but every show is the same. It seems he is switching up songs less and less. Even the encores are the same? Utley and others look on here. I bet if we get enough signatures word will get to Bubba. What do you think?
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.