2nd Annual (well, more or less) BN/CCCC Golf Tournament!!!!!

Phlockings, Parties, Social Events, Tribute Bands.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

Staredge
License to Chill
Favorite Buffett Song: King of Somewhere Hot
Number of Concerts: 12
Favorite Boat Drink: Mai Tai

2nd Annual (well, more or less) BN/CCCC Golf Tournament!!!!!

Post by Staredge »

After much thought, lots of therapy, and heavy doses of controlled pharmaceuticals......the tournament committee (consisting of me...and the voices in my head that the aforementioned pharmaceuticals weren't able to silence) has decided to relaunch the Critterville Cove Country Club Reverend Sonny Boy Seymour Memorial Golf Tournament. Yes, we know there were some.........difficulties with the inaugural event.......but time (and the aforementioned pharmaceuticals) have pushed those away and we look forward to a bigger, better event this year!!!!!! (hard not to top the last time, really)

For those of you who don't remember (or have tried to forget!!), this is a virtual tournament. You'll play at the course of your choice, preferably with fellow Parrotheads (and tournament competitors). All results and other required information will be e-mailed to the tournament director at SonnyBoySeymourGolf@gmail.com before Wednesday, June 16th. Prizes shall be awarded!!!!!!! (no, really, this time I'll get them mailed out. :oops: )

The dates for this year's tournament will be June 10-13th. Rules, prize lists, and other general information shall be posted over the next few weeks, both here and on the Cove. Hopefully, we can have some fun with this and make it a fun diversion!!!!!!
Last edited by Staredge on January 30, 2010 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Will
C-Dawg
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: The list is long...
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: my next one....this one's empty

Re: 2nd Annual (well, more or less) BN/CCCC Golf Tournament!!!!!

Post by C-Dawg »

Can I play on my Wii and post my score? [smilie=noeyedear-shrugging.gif]
ImageImage

Staredge
License to Chill

Post by Staredge »

:roll: Sorry......it's not THAT virtual.

And no.....miniature golf doesn't count either.
Will
Joetown Parrothead
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Wino and I know
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Miller Lite & Cabo

Post by Joetown Parrothead »

I think I won it last year , still have not got my gummie bears.
Staredge
License to Chill

Post by Staredge »

You did. PM me your address again, and I'll get your trophy sent out....after I dig it out and get a plate made up for it!!!
Will
C-Dawg
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: The list is long...
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: my next one....this one's empty

Post by C-Dawg »

Staredge wrote::roll: Sorry......it's not THAT virtual.

And no.....miniature golf doesn't count either.
maybe you should consider having categories..."live @ the links", "Mini golf" and "very virtual"
It's your gig....I'm just thinking doing something like this would get participation up. I know I won't have my clubs out by Memorial day
ImageImage

Staredge
License to Chill

Post by Staredge »

Good point. Forgot you folks up in the north don't thaw out until Memorial Day.

*** Date Change ****
June 10th-13th

This idea originally stems from a board I was on many years ago. The members would pick a weekend and all do something similar.....just in different locations. If they could meet up, they would...otherwise it was just the idea that we were all doing something on the same day. Was fun, if a kind of sad commentary on the state of the world these days. I didn't want to put it too late in the year. Hopefully everyone will be ready to dig their clubs out and get on the links.
Will
Joetown Parrothead
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Wino and I know
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Miller Lite & Cabo

Post by Joetown Parrothead »

I am in... Playing in Vegas in May, then 2 tournaments in Missouri in May also. So ought to have the winter rust gone.
Staredge
License to Chill

Post by Staredge »

You officially s***. :D
Will
Staredge
License to Chill

Post by Staredge »

RULES FOR THE CRITTERVILLE COVE GOLF TOURNAMENT

1 - All USGA rules will be in effect for this tournament, except as amended by Local Rules listed below.

2 - The amendments to the USGA rules as created by the Sortagolf Association shall be in effect for this tournament. (see below)

3 - Appropriate course attire shall be worn while playing in tournament. Shirts shall be of the ‘Hawaiian’ style for both men and women. Shorts are allowed per individual course regulations. (1 stroke penalty)

4 - Digital pictures will be taken of players at golf course during tournament play and sent to tournament director for inclusion on the Critterville Cove website. (3 stroke penalty)

5 - The responsible use of alcohol by players of legal age is allowed where acceptable by local course rules.

6 - All rounds must be played on a course totaling a par of 72. Strokes will be added to adjust for play on courses ranked lower.

7 - Play on 9-hole courses is allowed. The second round shall be played from different tees.

8 - Handicaps shall be figured according to Sortagolf Association Rules. (see attachment) USGA Handicaps will not be in effect for this tournament.

9 - Tee selection shall be made by golfer. Please select the tee appropriate to your skill level.

10 - Tournament will occur over the 4 day period of June 10th-13th, 2010. Players may play as many rounds as they would like during that time, posting all scores on the tournament website.

11 - The best score for each player, including SGA Handicap, shall be used for placement on the leaderboard.

12 - Final scores and pictures (rule 4) must be turned in to the tournament director via email or by player posting on the tournament website by midnight, June 16th.

13 - As this is a ‘virtual’ tournament, players are requested to honor the spirit of the tournament and play by the tournament rules.

The 7 Amendments to the USGA Rules of Golf

1. Improve Your Lie
(a) The first rule of SortaGolf is to be sure to Improve Your Lie so as to give you the best possible chance to play your best golf. Golf is challenging enough even from a good lie. There's no reason for golfers to be further penalized by poor course maintenance or the randomness of nature.
Golfers instinctively know this and have over the years developed solutions of their own, like "bumping 'em in the fairway". Now this kind of progressive thinking can be expanded to almost every shot you play. The last thing you should be asking yourself before addressing the ball is, "Could my lie be improved?"
(b) Proximity to the original location of the ball should not be an impediment to this process. As a result, if it is necessary to move your ball a full club’s length in order to accomplish the task, then you should do so. This is especially true if a little extra distance will not only provide you with the optimal lie, but will also have the added benefit of allowing you to more easily avoid an obstacle (a tree, for example)or otherwise provide you with a better approach to your target.
(c) Although, improving one's lie cannot result in moving your ball closer to the hole or result in taking the ball from the rough to the fairway. The only areas of the course where this rule does not apply is in sand traps or on the putting surface. There, you must play the ball where it lies.

2. Inside The Leather Is Good
***Not in effect for this tournament***

3. Double Bogey Is Max
(a) Simply stated, the maximum score allowed on any hole in SortaGolf is a double bogey, period.
(b) Regardless, of the number of balls lost out-of-bounds or in a water hazard. Regardless, of the number of shots taken to get out of the bunker. Regardless, of the number of putts it took to get into the cup. Double bogey is the maximum allowable score to be taken on a hole.
(c) This unprecedented level of Damage Control frees the SortaGolfer from the stress and worry of blowing up on a single hole and sacrificing an otherwise stellar round. With SortaGolf the "wheels" need never come off. And, most importantly, the dreaded "Snowman" will never again cometh.
(d) Therefore, backing up to the blue tees and swinging away is highly encouraged.

4. One-In/One-Out Principle
(a) Hit your ball into the water; it's one stroke in and one stroke (penalty) out, dropping near the hazard and no closer to the hole.
(b)Hit your ball out-of-bounds; it's one stroke in and one stroke (penalty) out, dropping near where the ball went OB.
(c)Keep in mind though to Improve Your Lie and that Double Bogey Is Max.

5. Any Found Ball Is Yours
With all that lost ball clutter is it any wonder golfers can't find their wayward shots. Nothing is more maddening than searching for a ball that you have hit in the rough, the woods or some other hazard and finding 15 balls, none of which are yours.
(a)With SortaGolf this is no longer an issue. Possession is 9/10ths of the law. So if you find a ball, then it is deemed yours, free of charge or penalty. A few tips are in order however:
(b)First, as a matter of courtesy, you should check to be sure the ball does not belong to another member of your group or another group on a parallel hole.
(c)Second, if you find multiple balls which are not yours, make sure to choose the one which is in the best position and replace it with the ball which is in the best condition.
(d)Finally, as always, remember to Improve Your Lie.

6. All Equipment Is Conforming
(a) With SortaGolf "anything goes" with respect to equipment. If some manufacturer is willing to make it, then it's okay to use it. Drivers with a "spring-like effect", "hot" balls that fly forever, non-conforming club designs, specs that exceed USGA mandates...you name it, they are all legal.
(b)Equally important, there is no limit (ie.14) on the number of clubs one may carry in their bag. Consider it amnesty for all recreational golfers.
(c)We agree with what Arnold Palmer said, "we should focus on people having fun playing golf and using the equipment they enjoy using."

7. A Mulligan Per Round
(a)In SortaGolf, the Mulligan is encouraged and seen as a vital part of the golfing experience.
(b) A Mulligan can be exercised on any hole on the course but only from the tee box.
(c) and are limited in number to one per round.

Handicaps

SortaGolf handicaps are established based on a golfer's previous best single 18 hole score, ever using USGA Rules of Golf:

Best Score (SGA Handicap)
<75 (0)
76-78 (1)
79-80 (2)
81-83 (3)
84-86 (4)
87-89 (5)
90-92 (6)
93-96 (7)
97-99 (8)
100+ (9)

With their initial handicap established, Sorta Golfer handicaps are only adjusted lower, when a player lowers his best score.
Will
Staredge
License to Chill

Post by Staredge »

Due to this being a 'virtual' tournament, occuring on many different courses with players of many different skill levels, you are asked to play an appropriately difficult game. If you have a very low handicap, in the interest of fairness I'd ask you to limit the use of the Sortagolf amendments. I'd like everyone to have a fair shot at winning (including me!!!!!) Again, we are relying on your sense of honor and decency to play by the rules. We'll work on a pirate golf tournament (anything goes!!!) later.
Will
Staredge
License to Chill

Post by Staredge »

ADDENDUM
Rule 4a: Golfers including a snake in their official tournament picture (a la Alice Cooper) shall receive a bonus of 3 strokes. Snake MUST be real, not synthetic.

Last edited by Staredge on January 30, 2010 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will
Staredge
License to Chill

Post by Staredge »

Will
Staredge
License to Chill

Post by Staredge »

ADDENDUM

Rule 14: The use of Ping Eye2 wedges for this tournament is prohibited.
Will
Staredge
License to Chill

Post by Staredge »

A little training video you might enjoy.

Will
Staredge
License to Chill

Post by Staredge »

Don't buy a putter until you've had a chance to throw it.

Never try to keep more than 300 separate thoughts in your mind during your swing.

When your shot has to carry over a water hazard, you can either hit one more club or two more balls.

If you're afraid a full shot might reach the green while the foursome ahead of you is still putting out, you have two options: you can immediately shank a lay-up or you can wait until the green is clear and top a ball halfway there.

The less skilled the player, the more likely he is to share his ideas about the golf swing.

No matter how bad you are playing, it is always possible to play worse.

The inevitable result of any golf lesson is the instant elimination of the one critical unconscious motion that allowed you to compensate for all of your many other errors.

Everyone replaces his divot after a perfect approach shot.

A golf match is a test of your skill against your opponents' luck.

It is surprisingly easy to hole a fifty foot putt...For a 10.

Counting on your opponent to inform you when he breaks a rule is like expecting him to make fun of his own haircut

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

It's not a gimme if you're still away.

The shortest distance between any two points on a golf course is a straight line that passes directly through the center of a very large tree.

You can hit a two acre fairway 10% of the time and a two inch branch 90% of the time.

If you really want to get better at golf, go back and take it up at a much earlier age.

Since bad shots come in groups of three, a fourth bad shot is actually the beginning of the next group of three.

When you look up, causing an awful shot, you will always look down again at exactly the moment when you ought to start watching the ball if you ever want to see it again.

Every time a golfer makes a birdie, he must subsequently make two triple bogeys to restore the fundamental equilibrium of the universe.

If you want to hit a 7 iron as far as Tiger Woods does, simply try to lay up just short of a water hazard.

To calculate the speed of a player's downswing, multiply the speed of his back-swing by his handicap; I.e., back-swing 20 mph, handicap 15, downswing = 300 mph.

There are two things you can learn by stopping your back-swing at the top and checking the position of your hands: how many hands you have, and which one is wearing the glove.

Hazards attract; fairways repel.

A ball you can see in the rough from 50 yards away is not yours.

If there is a ball on the fringe and a ball in the bunker, your ball is in the bunker. If both balls are in the bunker, yours is in the footprint.

It's easier to get up at 6:00 AM to play golf than at 10:00 AM to mow the yard.

A good drive on the 18th hole has stopped many a golfer from giving up the game.

Golf is the perfect thing to do on Sunday because you always end up having to pray a lot.

A good golf partner is one who's always slightly worse than you are....that's why I get so many calls to play with friends.

If there's a storm rolling in, you'll be having the game of your life.

Golf balls are like eggs. They're white. They're sold by the dozen. And you need to buy fresh ones each week.

It's amazing how a golfer who never helps out around the house will replace his divots, repair his ball marks, and rake his sand traps.

If your opponent has trouble remembering whether he shot a six or a seven, he probably shot an eight (or worse).
Will
conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

Staredge wrote:ADDENDUM

Rule 14: The use of Ping Eye2 wedges for this tournament is prohibited.
uh oh :lol: :lol:

Is that a dead give-away that I'm playing with 20 year old clubs?
Staredge
License to Chill

Post by Staredge »

Figured the PGA doesn't have the stones to do it.......I do!!!!!

Actually, I thought about giving bonus strokes if people used them, but then I couldn't bust on the PGA.
Will
conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

Staredge wrote:Figured the PGA doesn't have the stones to do it.......I do!!!!!

Actually, I thought about giving bonus strokes if people used them, but then I couldn't bust on the PGA.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, I've saved some clubs older than that to pull out to use. I actually do still play with Black Dots. My ping putter is even older than my irons. :oops: :oops: I can never part with it, although IT has tempted me lately.
Staredge
License to Chill

Post by Staredge »

I play with a Callaway Warbird putter. Looks like a wood!!! I jsut like it because it's weird.

Rest of my clubs are just cheap. :lol:
Will