and the RUM is for all your good vices....

Food and drink recipes for a tailgate or party

Moderator: SMLCHNG

Bfan53again
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: "I Have Found Me a Home"
Number of Concerts: 8
Favorite Boat Drink: Dark 'n Stormy

Re: and the RUM is for all your good vices....

Post by Bfan53again »

I sumbled across this website about rum: http://rumconnection.com/

The link to "How to Drink Like Hemingway in Key West" is good. My wife would say they could lose the babes in bikinis........maybe so, but still some good information about the bar scene in KW! :pirate:
On most days I say: "Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been...."
Sometimes I can only say: "There is no dumbass vaccine......"

If something or someone gets you down, just remember: "In a hundred years it all won’t matter.........."
WinchWench
Southeast of disorder
Number of Concerts: 9
Favorite Boat Drink: Dark n Stormy

Post by WinchWench »

Bfan53again wrote:I sumbled across this website about rum: http://rumconnection.com/

The link to "How to Drink Like Hemingway in Key West" is good. My wife would say they could lose the babes in bikinis........maybe so, but still some good information about the bar scene in KW! :pirate:
Tell the wife it could be worse....they could have taken pics during Fantasy Fest and they would have been babes WITHOUT bikinis. :wink: :lol: Great article though, thanks for passing it along!
"It is as hard to describe the fascination of the sea as to explain the beauty of a woman, for, to each man, either it is self-evident, or no argument can help him see it."
Bfan53again
Under My Lone Palm

Post by Bfan53again »

WinchWench wrote:
Bfan53again wrote:I sumbled across this website about rum: http://rumconnection.com/

Tell the wife it could be worse....they could have taken pics during Fantasy Fest and they would have been babes WITHOUT bikinis. :wink: :lol: Great article though, thanks for passing it along!
Thanks....and I thought you should know that I'm sipping a Dark 'n Stormy (with Goslings, of course) as I type this! :wink: :pirate:

If something or someone gets you down, just remember: "In a hundred years it all won’t matter.........."
WinchWench
Southeast of disorder

Post by WinchWench »

Bfan53again wrote:
WinchWench wrote:

Thanks....and I thought you should know that I'm sipping a Dark 'n Stormy (with Goslings, of course) as I type this! :wink: :pirate:
Of course, since Gosling's has the name trademarked, if it were any other rum you'd have to be drinking a Dark and Stormy. :wink: :lol: I need to go on a mission to see if I can track down the Stormy ginger beer. I've only ever seen it in the gift pack where you get a bottle of Black Seal and two cans of ginger beer but I haven't found it sold separately and I haven't seen Barritt's anywhere either. The only other brands I can find around here are some of the Jamaican ones and the flavor is just not quite the same. I guess that means at the moment I have to settle for Black Seal Cuba Libres....life is rough. 8)
"It is as hard to describe the fascination of the sea as to explain the beauty of a woman, for, to each man, either it is self-evident, or no argument can help him see it."
Bfan53again
Under My Lone Palm

Post by Bfan53again »

I buy Barritt's ginger beer by the case at a liquor store in Annapolis, MD: http://bayridgewine.com/

Annapolis is about 2 hours south of my home in southcentral PA. We took sailing lessons many years ago in Annapolis and my wife and I visit there often. Just a great town for walking around......like the t-shirts say: It's a drinking town with a sailing problem!

From what the staff at Bay Ridge said they are one of the largest importers of Barritt's in the US. They also carry the recently introduced Goslings ginger beer, too. I tried one case, good, but I guess my tastebuds are just used to Barritt's.....still my favorite.

Most other ginger beers sold locally here are marked "Jamaican style" (like Reed's). Why too much ginger bite. I have on occasion used the ginger beer made by Saranac Brewing from NY state ( http://www.saranac.com/page/ginger-beer). I think it's the closest to Barritt's......

WinchWench
Southeast of disorder

Post by WinchWench »

Bfan53again wrote:I buy Barritt's ginger beer by the case at a liquor store in Annapolis, MD: http://bayridgewine.com/

Annapolis is about 2 hours south of my home in southcentral PA. We took sailing lessons many years ago in Annapolis and my wife and I visit there often. Just a great town for walking around......like the t-shirts say: It's a drinking town with a sailing problem!

From what the staff at Bay Ridge said they are one of the largest importers of Barritt's in the US. They also carry the recently introduced Goslings ginger beer, too. I tried one case, good, but I guess my tastebuds are just used to Barritt's.....still my favorite.

Most other ginger beers sold locally here are marked "Jamaican style" (like Reed's). Why too much ginger bite. I have on occasion used the ginger beer made by Saranac Brewing from NY state ( http://www.saranac.com/page/ginger-beer). I think it's the closest to Barritt's......
I haven't made it to that part of the country yet in my life but between the rum, the pretty boats and the crab cakes (what's that Buffett line about eating her whole weight in crab meat? :wink: ) I'd probably be in heaven, at least until Winter hit. :lol: I grew up in Oregon and learned to sail on a lake there....got tired of the snow and headed for Florida just about as fast as I could. 8) I've always wanted to make it up there to see the start of the Newport Bermuda Race though. Of course the fact that Gosling's is usually one of the sponsors would make it even better! :wink: :lol:
WinchWench
Southeast of disorder

Post by WinchWench »

Yay! I found 6 packs of Stormy ginger beer at the local ABC liquor store. It is going to be a Dark n Stormy night. :)
Bfan53again
Under My Lone Palm

Post by Bfan53again »

WinchWench wrote:Yay! I found 6 packs of Stormy ginger beer at the local ABC liquor store. It is going to be a Dark n Stormy night. :)
Great...... [smilie=coolup.gif]

I have watched the start of the Marion-to-Bermuda race from a race committee boat. Quite an impressive sight. I've seen the Chesapeake Bay leg of the Whitbread Round-the-World race several times. I feel lucky to be able to regularly visit and enjoy each of the 3 "best" east coast sailing venues (Newport, Annapolis, Key West). I've travelled to Bermuda three times and the BVI on charter sailing vacations three times. Life is good..... :pirate:

WinchWench
Southeast of disorder

Post by WinchWench »

I love all the pretty boats in Key West. The lovely lady in my signature line is a picture I took of the Western Union. :wench: I always try to get out on one of the schooners when I am down there and especially love being there for Pirates in Paradise and the great sea battles they do.

I can honestly say my best day of sailing so far in life has to be the day long sail/snorkel trip out of San Pedro, Ambergris Cay, Belize. 8) It's no match for Gosling's but the Belize Travellers One Barrel rum was pretty decent stuff.

I must admit that my taste buds may have been slightly influenced by the atmosphere. I have a feeling that lounging on the deck of a beautiful catamaran after swimming with spotted eagle rays and looking out at a view like this, even Bacardi might be palatable. :lol:

Bfan53again
Under My Lone Palm

Post by Bfan53again »

Nice pics....... [smilie=coolup.gif] :pirate:

Not been to Belize yet, but want to go.......

Bfan53again
Under My Lone Palm

Post by Bfan53again »

Here's a video for making the Outrigger, another rum drink: http://www.smallscreennetwork.com/video/503

Think I'll try one tonight (anything to take away the thought of Monday tomorrow........ :o ).

ragtopW
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by ragtopW »

WinchWench wrote:Yay! I found 6 packs of Stormy ginger beer at the local ABC liquor store. It is going to be a Dark n Stormy night. :)
:lol:
some thoughts..
since Goslings has it's own Ginger beer in my eyes the Trademark is gone..
I had a Goslings stormy in NOLA.. pretty good (never found the bar again) :oops:
try the Cruzan Blackstrap... it's pretty tasty
Beverage Direct will ship the Barritts right to your door. :pirate: :pirate: (I live in Boise Idaho)
that's all :lol:
ragtopW
Last Man Standing

Post by ragtopW »

BTW.. has anyone tried the Kraken (SP?)
the Spiced dark rum..

I have tried
Cola
straight
straight with lime
with a Barritts (the best... not a Dark and Stormy but tasty)

any other Ideas?? I am not really impressed
pbans
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH

Post by pbans »

ragtopW wrote:BTW.. has anyone tried the Kraken (SP?)
the Spiced dark rum..

I have tried
Cola
straight
straight with lime
with a Barritts (the best... not a Dark and Stormy but tasty)

any other Ideas?? I am not really impressed
I didn't like it AT ALL....I ended up giving most of the bottle away....and you KNOW how I feel about rum, but that stuff is VILE.
Paige in Utah
"Don't try to shake it, just nod your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on"
Bfan53again
Under My Lone Palm

Post by Bfan53again »

I do enjoy Gosling's Black Seal rum. Has anyone tried their Gold or Old Rum, by chance????? :pirate:

WinchWench
Southeast of disorder

Post by WinchWench »

ragtopW wrote:
:lol:
some thoughts..
since Goslings has it's own Ginger beer in my eyes the Trademark is gone..
I had a Goslings stormy in NOLA.. pretty good (never found the bar again) :oops:
try the Cruzan Blackstrap... it's pretty tasty
Beverage Direct will ship the Barritts right to your door. :pirate: :pirate: (I live in Boise Idaho)
that's all :lol:
This highlights perfectly one of the reasons I love rum....there are so many different flavors and types and it is oh so fun to try them all to see which tickles your taste buds the most! :lol: I started out drinking Parrot Bay and other flavored rums. For a long time I thought I didn't like dark rum because all I had tried was Myers and to me it tasted like cough syrup. [smilie=thumbdown.gif] Next I tried the Cruzan Blackstrap and it was definitely better than Myers but still just didn't quite do it for me. But the day I met the Black Seal is the day I knew that I loved rum. 8)
WinchWench
Southeast of disorder

Post by WinchWench »

Bfan53again wrote:I do enjoy Gosling's Black Seal rum. Has anyone tried their Gold or Old Rum, by chance????? :pirate:
I have tried both. The Gold is my least favorite of all the Gosling's products but that doesn't mean it's bad. :lol: It has a little spice but not really enough to be called a spiced rum and slight fruity/citrus flavor as well. It is decent rum but to me there is not the "wow" factor that separates it from other rums out there. Let's just say in a blind taste test I am fairly certain I could pick Black Seal out from just about any other rum on the market, but the Gold rum would be much harder to place.

The Old Rum is the pinnacle of rum for me....or at least as high as I've gotten so far in the 8 years I've been legally able to drink alcohol. :lol: I have tried a few other high end rums and don't get me wrong, they all have some fantastic qualities, but for my personal taste the Old Rum wins out every time. I'm not one of those "snooty" spirits tasters who can come up with all kinds of flowery sounding BS to describe the taste but I would call it Black Seal with the edges smoothed and a few more years of maturity. :wink: If I were stranded on an island and could only choose one rum to have for the rest of my life it would be Gosling's Old Rum.
Bfan53again
Under My Lone Palm

Post by Bfan53again »

WinchWench wrote:
Bfan53again wrote:I do enjoy Gosling's Black Seal rum. Has anyone tried their Gold or Old Rum, by chance????? :pirate:
I have tried both. The Gold is my least favorite of all the Gosling's products but that doesn't mean it's bad. :lol: It has a little spice but not really enough to be called a spiced rum and slight fruity/citrus flavor as well. It is decent rum but to me there is not the "wow" factor that separates it from other rums out there. Let's just say in a blind taste test I am fairly certain I could pick Black Seal out from just about any other rum on the market, but the Gold rum would be much harder to place.

The Old Rum is the pinnacle of rum for me....or at least as high as I've gotten so far in the 8 years I've been legally able to drink alcohol. :lol: I have tried a few other high end rums and don't get me wrong, they all have some fantastic qualities, but for my personal taste the Old Rum wins out every time. I'm not one of those "snooty" spirits tasters who can come up with all kinds of flowery sounding BS to describe the taste but I would call it Black Seal with the edges smoothed and a few more years of maturity. :wink: If I were stranded on an island and could only choose one rum to have for the rest of my life it would be Gosling's Old Rum.
Thanks for the info.....as always! :pirate: Ever try Gosling's Gold Liqueur? Apparently it's very limited production and only available in Bermuda. I had some on my visit last June at a restaurant in Hamilton. OMG.....I may consider becoming a permanent resident of Bermuda just to get that stuff!!! :o :roll: :wink:

WinchWench
Southeast of disorder

Post by WinchWench »

Bfan53again wrote: Thanks for the info.....as always! :pirate: Ever try Gosling's Gold Liqueur? Apparently it's very limited production and only available in Bermuda. I had some on my visit last June at a restaurant in Hamilton. OMG.....I may consider becoming a permanent resident of Bermuda just to get that stuff!!! :o :roll: :wink:
I have not had the pleasure but that just gives me one more reason to put a trip to Bermuda on the bucket list. 8)
RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Post by RinglingRingling »

I'm not one of those "snooty" spirits tasters who can come up with all kinds of flowery sounding BS to describe the taste but I would call it Black Seal with the edges smoothed and a few more years of maturity. :wink:
because maturity and liquor go hand in hand... :D