Jimmy and Times Square, NY

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Re: Jimmy and Times Square, NY

Post by lime rickie »

FinsUp6835 wrote: February 24, 2021 9:57 am
Touch O Parrotdise wrote: February 24, 2021 9:00 am
palmettopirate wrote: February 24, 2021 8:52 am
FinsUp6835 wrote: February 24, 2021 7:49 am So does this mean he sold the trademark and just gets a royalty?
Good question.
Anything he says now is through Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefers
I actually think this is great if it is true. I was very happy to see him breakaway and build his own website that focuses on him as a musician and artist. He must have realized that the brand was overshadowing his work as an artist. I love the new website and all the vintage Jimmy merchandise. The 70s and 80s are my favorite Jimmy era so I think it is cool.
Agree.
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

Touch O Parrotdise
Under My Lone Palm
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Nice Bourbon Straight

Post by Touch O Parrotdise »

lime rickie wrote: February 24, 2021 7:05 pm
FinsUp6835 wrote: February 24, 2021 9:57 am
Touch O Parrotdise wrote: February 24, 2021 9:00 am
palmettopirate wrote: February 24, 2021 8:52 am
FinsUp6835 wrote: February 24, 2021 7:49 am So does this mean he sold the trademark and just gets a royalty?
Good question.
Anything he says now is through Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefers
I actually think this is great if it is true. I was very happy to see him breakaway and build his own website that focuses on him as a musician and artist. He must have realized that the brand was overshadowing his work as an artist. I love the new website and all the vintage Jimmy merchandise. The 70s and 80s are my favorite Jimmy era so I think it is cool.
Agree.
me too.. should have happened right after the 5 o'clock mistake
Finzup16
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbor
Number of Concerts: 25

Post by Finzup16 »

jbfins wrote: February 6, 2021 8:51 pm Not to be argumentative, but I do not think there would be any chance Jimmy Buffett could pull off a Bruce Spingsteen type of show on Broadway. Springsteen sells out Giants Stadium (I will never call it MetLife) multiple nights in a row. Buffett couldn't sell out 1/3 of the place even if they were giving out free drinks. If people won't pay to see Buffett at a large venue, they sure as hell are not going to pay to see him in a small one.
Would I see the show? Of course. Would I pay through the nose to go? Of course. But people like me are few and far between.
I'm a Parrothead thru and thru. I grew up a Bruce fan and probably saw 60 to 70 shows. I have no use for Springsteen right now (and that has nothing to do with his political views) I just don't like the post 1980 (The River) message.

Unfortunately. You are 100 percent correct on everything you wrote.

Jimmy could pull of a few nights on Broadway Bruce a few years.

Another thing is Bruce doesn't need anyone. Jimmy needs Mac and maybe a keyboard to make it work.

I don't mean to bash Jimmy because I'd walk to the end of the Earth for his music but his musicianship is not on THAT level
FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Ice Cold Loaded Landshark

Post by FinsUp6835 »

Finzup16 wrote: March 2, 2021 1:52 am
jbfins wrote: February 6, 2021 8:51 pm Not to be argumentative, but I do not think there would be any chance Jimmy Buffett could pull off a Bruce Spingsteen type of show on Broadway. Springsteen sells out Giants Stadium (I will never call it MetLife) multiple nights in a row. Buffett couldn't sell out 1/3 of the place even if they were giving out free drinks. If people won't pay to see Buffett at a large venue, they sure as hell are not going to pay to see him in a small one.
Would I see the show? Of course. Would I pay through the nose to go? Of course. But people like me are few and far between.
I'm a Parrothead thru and thru. I grew up a Bruce fan and probably saw 60 to 70 shows. I have no use for Springsteen right now (and that has nothing to do with his political views) I just don't like the post 1980 (The River) message.

Another thing is Bruce doesn't need anyone. Jimmy needs Mac and maybe a keyboard to make it work.

I don't mean to bash Jimmy because I'd walk to the end of the Earth for his music but his musicianship is not on THAT level
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.
FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Ice Cold Loaded Landshark

Post by FinsUp6835 »

Jimmy in his prime could easily pull it off but I agree with you now he needs Mac with him. I mean the Sag Harbor benefit show from 1999 was just Jimmy solo and it is fantastic. That was also over 20 years ago. Though his set from the "Save Tips in Nola" was really great and the first time in awhile that I have seen that level of musicianship from Jimmy in years. Yes, it was on video and recorded but it was great to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNAjuy0AasU
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.
Dr.Corona
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Apocalypso..no..Semi-True Story..no.Creola..no..REGGAE ACCIDENT!!
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: As if you HAD to ask!!

Post by Dr.Corona »

:o WOW!! No love for the Rising at least???
Corona by day, Corona by night, any old time is just alright!Image
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk

Post by lime rickie »

With Mac, without Mac - I would go, and enjoy it, either way.

The theater where Bruce played was 1000 seats and I agree that would probably be too much for Jimmy. But one of the smaller theaters would be a nice intimate show. Helen Hayes is only 500 seats.

tailgaitingph
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: Manana or CILCIA
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: Yes please

Post by tailgaitingph »

lime rickie wrote: March 2, 2021 6:00 pm With Mac, without Mac - I would go, and enjoy it, either way.

The theater where Bruce played was 1000 seats and I agree that would probably be too much for Jimmy. But one of the smaller theaters would be a nice intimate show. Helen Hayes is only 500 seats.
I would go also.
If he booked the theater near you, THAT would be epic!
Finzup16
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbor
Number of Concerts: 25

Post by Finzup16 »

WOW!! No love for the Rising at least???
[/quote]

I can certainly see how that album could be comforting to many people. I won't argue that but it's for those same reasons I have no use for the guy any more.
These are my opinions I'm not trying to change anyone elses.

Somewhere around The River album Bruce became less about the music and the music became more about him. His message is YOU need HIM and cannot function without following HIS train of thought.

I could give a million examples
moog
Last Man Standing

Post by moog »

jbfins wrote: January 30, 2021 12:15 pm I am really interested to see how this plays out. Personally, I think it is bad idea and will not be surprised if it closes within 2 years. Manhattan may be an island, but there is a reason Norman Paperman left it to pursue hotel ownership somewhere else. The NYP has been covering the story (they like JB) so we will definitely know how it all pans out.
Norman Paperman left paradise to return to Manhatten since paradise is a nice place to visit but not live.
RIPH
I gotta go where it's warm
Favorite Buffett Song: Havana Daydreamin
Favorite Boat Drink: rhum

Post by RIPH »

We have found the key to living in Paradise is to be able to turn off the Tourist mode we all have and function in the real world. It’s been 19 years since we moved to Paradise from that god forsaken area known as Rhode Island and we have no issues at all!! 😊🍺🍻
...Gypsy rain, dang hurricanes, white silver sandy shore...
moog
Last Man Standing

Post by moog »

Well if I was rich I would buy an island like Johnny Depp. Take my books and read in a hammock. Then also be completely naked. In Time Square only the naked cowboy can do that. :lol:
RIPH

Post by RIPH »

:o :lol: :pirate:
tailgaitingph

Post by tailgaitingph »

RIPH wrote: March 21, 2021 2:49 pm We have found the key to living in Paradise is to be able to turn off the Tourist mode we all have and function in the real world. It’s been 19 years since we moved to Paradise from that god forsaken area known as Rhode Island and we have no issues at all!! 😊🍺🍻
Congrats!!
I hope to be like y'all when I (don't) grow up 1 day :pirate:
RIPH

Post by RIPH »

I never said I grew up. 🤣

My mentally has never exceeded that of a 12 year old boy!! Bwahahahahaha. 😜😎🙃
RIPH

Post by RIPH »

Is it wrong that I can visualize Moogie naked in the hammock?? :lol: :pirate:
moog
Last Man Standing

Post by moog »

RIPH wrote: March 21, 2021 6:28 pm Is it wrong that I can visualize Moogie naked in the hammock?? :lol: :pirate:
You can use that visual to prevent pregnancies
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk

Post by lime rickie »

If it's wrong to see Moogli naked I don't want to be right.

tailgaitingph

Post by tailgaitingph »

lime rickie wrote: March 21, 2021 7:20 pm If it's wrong to see Moogli naked I don't want to be right.
😂😂😂
moog
Last Man Standing

Post by moog »

:lol: