Jimmy and Times Square, NY

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

SMLCHNG
Favorite Buffett Song: Lovely Cruise/Bubbles Up
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Extra dirty gin martini

Jimmy and Times Square, NY

Post by SMLCHNG »

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Re: Jimmy and Times Square, NY

Post by LIPH »

No. Just no. Times Square is about as far from "Margaritaville" as you can get. :roll:

I guess I should add, your mileage may vary.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
dnw
Last Man Standing

Post by dnw »

The rooms might be a bit on the pricey side.

Debbie
drunkpirate66
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: Take Another Road
Number of Concerts: 67
Favorite Boat Drink: Beers.

Post by drunkpirate66 »

LIPH wrote: January 29, 2021 11:06 pm No. Just no. Times Square is about as far from "Margaritaville" as you can get. :roll:

I guess I should add, your mileage may vary.
A quick google search found Perth, Australia is as far as you can get from Times Square. Larry confirms Margaritaville IS Perth, Australia.
the hit and run is as good as any religion around this time of year . . .
jbfins
I gotta go where it's warm

Post by jbfins »

I am really interested to see how this plays out. Personally, I think it is bad idea and will not be surprised if it closes within 2 years. Manhattan may be an island, but there is a reason Norman Paperman left it to pursue hotel ownership somewhere else. The NYP has been covering the story (they like JB) so we will definitely know how it all pans out.
"Some people never find it..."
SharkysMV1
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Number of Concerts: 9
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum & Tonic

Post by SharkysMV1 »

I think this will be about a 3 minute walk from my office (if I ever go back to the City). I can foresee some unintended long lunch hours there :pirate:

But I’m with you...it seems like an odd location. Too much pavement. Hardly escapism in my mind.
“Later down the road of life, I made the discovery that salt water was also good for the mental abrasions one inevitably acquires on land.” - JB, APLAFifty
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie »

Haven't been in the Times Square area for a while but there is/was only one other rooftop pool location and that is/was up on 57th street. So, like the Colonnade in Boston, it could be appealing to some if he does shows at MSG or HoB. And the rates will be $350+/night. Who knows when those will resume, regardless of social distancing rules?

I've always hoped that Jimmy would consider a really thoughtful Broadway show like Bruce did. Mostly acoustic, small backup, lots of storytelling. I'd go see that. Hopefully drawing on all his years in the business, travels, adventures, etc. and the deep catalog, dammit!

All that aside, I don't care who you are, opening a hotel in the midst of COVID is optimistic/ambitious. Everyone we know in the business jumped on the early retirement package offers. It will be years before hospitality (and concerts/entertainment) recover, if ever.
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

tailgaitingph
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: Manana or CILCIA
Favorite Boat Drink: Yes please

Post by tailgaitingph »

lime rickie wrote: February 1, 2021 8:36 pm Haven't been in the Times Square area for a while but there is/was only one other rooftop pool location and that is/was up on 57th street. So, like the Colonnade in Boston, it could be appealing to some if he does shows at MSG or HoB. And the rates will be $350+/night. Who knows when those will resume, regardless of social distancing rules?

I've always hoped that Jimmy would consider a really thoughtful Broadway show like Bruce did. Mostly acoustic, small backup, lots of storytelling. I'd go see that. Hopefully drawing on all his years in the business, travels, adventures, etc. and the deep catalog, dammit!

All that aside, I don't care who you are, opening a hotel in the midst of COVID is optimistic/ambitious. Everyone we know in the business jumped on the early retirement package offers. It will be years before hospitality (and concerts/entertainment) recover, if ever.
This! Yes, please!
FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Ice Cold Loaded Landshark

Post by FinsUp6835 »

lime rickie wrote: February 1, 2021 8:36 pm Haven't been in the Times Square area for a while but there is/was only one other rooftop pool location and that is/was up on 57th street. So, like the Colonnade in Boston, it could be appealing to some if he does shows at MSG or HoB. And the rates will be $350+/night. Who knows when those will resume, regardless of social distancing rules?

Jimmy has talked about shows like Bruce in an interview a couple years ago and said that it was not feasible enough for him and he could hire more people and bring in more money on regular tours. The Margaritavilles are just everywhere now and I have lost a lot of interest. The New Orleans one was cool and original but that closed and the one in Key West is still cool. I am very happy to see that Jimmy has broke away a bit from it as he created his own website and is releasing vintage t shirts and such. I think he must have realized that the business was starting to overshadow him as an artist. I hope one day he does a rarities tour and maybe post COVID will make this happen. I would love to see him release a new folk album and go back to his roots - that is my favorite Jimmy era along with the CRB from the 70s and 80s - that was hands down the best CRB. Not having fingers changes the music a bit for me.

Anyway, I am happy that Jimmy is still round and touring and putting out some cool stuff. Stay safe everyone! FINS UP
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.
MDShark70
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbor
Number of Concerts: 108
Favorite Boat Drink: The one in my hand
Location: Southeast of Disorder, Near the Port of Indecision, so you know, Maryland

Post by MDShark70 »

My thought on the Times Square was the same: hard pass. Going to NYC to stay in a Margaritaville is just not something I'd be interested in. On the flip side though, NYC is big enough that there may be plenty of people who live there who would like an "escape" without leaving town. So who knows? But I also feel the same way about Margaritaville in Pigeon Ford. Just no. I'm going to the mountains, not the beach. The market will sort it all out in time.
It was too much tequila . . . . or not quite enough.
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie »

FinsUp6835 wrote: February 3, 2021 8:08 am Jimmy has talked about shows like Bruce in an interview a couple years ago and said that it was not feasible enough for him and he could hire more people and bring in more money on regular tours.
Like Bruce, Jimmy has enough well-heeled fans who would pony up for pricey seats to a show like that. And then he could sell the videos/CDs to fans who didn't have the time/money/inclination to see him on Broadway in the first place. Broadway would not make sense now though with the COVID-limited capacity restrictions.

Would he ever consider a free show in Central Park, like Simon & Garfunkel did? That would be insane. :wench: :lol: :P
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

jbfins
I gotta go where it's warm

Post by jbfins »

Not to be argumentative, but I do not think there would be any chance Jimmy Buffett could pull off a Bruce Spingsteen type of show on Broadway. Springsteen sells out Giants Stadium (I will never call it MetLife) multiple nights in a row. Buffett couldn't sell out 1/3 of the place even if they were giving out free drinks. If people won't pay to see Buffett at a large venue, they sure as hell are not going to pay to see him in a small one.
Would I see the show? Of course. Would I pay through the nose to go? Of course. But people like me are few and far between.
"Some people never find it..."
FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle

Post by FinsUp6835 »

jbfins wrote: February 6, 2021 8:51 pm Not to be argumentative, but I do not think there would be any chance Jimmy Buffett could pull off a Bruce Spingsteen type of show on Broadway. Springsteen sells out Giants Stadium (I will never call it MetLife) multiple nights in a row. Buffett couldn't sell out 1/3 of the place even if they were giving out free drinks. If people won't pay to see Buffett at a large venue, they sure as hell are not going to pay to see him in a small one.
Would I see the show? Of course. Would I pay through the nose to go? Of course. But people like me are few and far between.

Seeing Bruce in NJ at Giants Stadium is like seeing Jimmy in Key West or in Florida. It's a "hometown game" and a much larger and easier draw for them.
I respectively disagree with you. I think people would come out of the wood work actually and pay top dollar to see intimate shows with rare songs and stories from Jimmy. This is how he started as a folk singer and bar singer and in my opinion how he should finish. He deserves to play what he wants and all the true fans want it- the partyheads just wanna get blackout drunk and hear the same 12 songs.

I follow Classic Buffett (I was actually on his podcast STORIES WE COULD TELL) on Instagram which Jimmy also promotes and there is a real following for Jimmy the artist. I think it would be a huge success. At the same time, this would be much more work for Jimmy and maybe he just wants to play larger shows at this point with his large band and just have a little fun - he really does not have anything left to prove IMO.

Either way, concert life and shows will still be stifled by COVID. Nothing will be back like it was until the Summer of 2022. Stay safe all and FINS UP! 8)
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.
palmettopirate
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Favorite Buffett Song: Coast of Carolina
Favorite Boat Drink: sweet tea

Post by palmettopirate »

Hey honey! Come to the window and check out this view!
Every day you wake up you get another chance to do it right.
Touch O Parrotdise
Under My Lone Palm
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Nice Bourbon Straight

Post by Touch O Parrotdise »

Since today is national margarita day they had on the news a rep from the Jacksonville Margaritaville to make one.. I noticed all the Margaritaville merchandise didn't have Jimmy's name on it and the rep never used his name although the interviewer used it several times. So I went to their website (Jax Beach) and there is not 1 mention of Jimmy. Maybe you guys already knew this but I didn't know they totally severed ties. So don't worry about Jimmy Buffett in Times Square because he's not there... Margaritaville is.
palmettopirate

Post by palmettopirate »

Touch O Parrotdise wrote: February 22, 2021 8:59 am Since today is national margarita day they had on the news a rep from the Jacksonville Margaritaville to make one.. I noticed all the Margaritaville merchandise didn't have Jimmy's name on it and the rep never used his name although the interviewer used it several times. So I went to their website (Jax Beach) and there is not 1 mention of Jimmy. Maybe you guys already knew this but I didn't know they totally severed ties. So don't worry about Jimmy Buffett in Times Square because he's not there... Margaritaville is.
http://www.palmettoparrotheads.com/marg ... ants-sold/

I remember when this occurred back in 2013. Funny thing is Jimmy has popped in at the Myrtle Beach location more than once since the deal.
FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!

Post by FinsUp6835 »

So does this mean he sold the trademark and just gets a royalty?
palmettopirate

Post by palmettopirate »

FinsUp6835 wrote: February 24, 2021 7:49 am So does this mean he sold the trademark and just gets a royalty?
Good question.
Touch O Parrotdise
Under My Lone Palm
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Nice Bourbon Straight

Post by Touch O Parrotdise »

palmettopirate wrote: February 24, 2021 8:52 am
FinsUp6835 wrote: February 24, 2021 7:49 am So does this mean he sold the trademark and just gets a royalty?
Good question.
Anything he says now is through Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefers
FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!

Post by FinsUp6835 »

Touch O Parrotdise wrote: February 24, 2021 9:00 am
palmettopirate wrote: February 24, 2021 8:52 am
Good question.
Anything he says now is through Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefers
I actually think this is great if it is true. I was very happy to see him breakaway and build his own website that focuses on him as a musician and artist. He must have realized that the brand was overshadowing his work as an artist. I love the new website and all the vintage Jimmy merchandise. The 70s and 80s are my favorite Jimmy era so I think it is cool.