The beginning of the end for yours truly

Chat with other Parrotheads about dis and dat.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

Wino you know
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Far Side of the World & Somewhere Over China
Number of Concerts: 105
Favorite Boat Drink: Beaujalais Villages French Burgundy

Re: The beginning of the end for yours truly

Post by Wino you know »

Hi, everyone. I know it’s been a while, so I guess I should drop by for an update, as I’ve been getting lots of inquiries from many of you.
This is a bit long, but here goes-
Physically I do feel okay most of the time, sleeping good, eating VERY good (I’ve been told not to lose any more weight during cancer treatments). I’ve had six rounds of chemotherapy, which has caused the tumors to either shrink or stabilize, I’m now doing Immunotherapy (chemotherapy, in addition to destroying cancer cells, also tears down the immune system, Immunotherapy rebuilds it). I’ve also started an infusion of a bone hardening drug (Zometa), as the cancer has spread to the bones. This is to reduce the risk of bones becoming brittle or breaking, should I fall. I had my first treatment of the Zometa on Tuesday, and that seemed to go well. Prior to my starting this drug, I had to have some oral surgery at the University of Iowa Dental Clinic, as there was significant bone loss in two of my back molars. Not having this surgery would have me be subject to enlarged or swollen jaw from taking the Zometa, and not taking it was not an option. Two PET scans I’ve had show I may be moving in the right direction. Another one is due on July 9th, and next Immunotherapy and Zometa infusions will be on July 14th.
There was also concern that my enlarged prostate could be a sign of possible bladder cancer. There was a bit of blood in my urine a couple months ago, but a drug I was given for that took care of the issue almost immediately. Still, I’ve been waking up 2-3 times during the night to use the bathroom, so, to err on the side of caution, a cystoscopy of my bladder was done yesterday (that’s where they stick a _____ in my ________). After the nurse finished prepping me, the procedure was supposed to start right away, but they had to wait a few minutes because the nurse was EXTREMELY gorgeous, and I “physically” let her know I found her very attractive. :-)
The actual procedure was done in less than 4 minutes, the findings showed no signs of bladder cancer, now the results go to a pathologist for further analysis, but indications are 95% certain of no bladder cancer. I’ll know in a week the final results. If they’re good, I’ll get a letter. If they’re bad, I’ll get a phone call. So here’s to no phone call.
Kidneys are fine, red blood count is fine, white blood count is fine, cholesterol is perfect, respiratory system seems clear, so I am encouraged. Hoping the progress continues.
I am able to drive myself to appointments, grocery store, post office, or wherever I need to go. I walk 2 miles every day (unlike a year ago when I was doing 5-6 miles every day, but I do what I can when I can). Yesterday when I went for my Urology appointment, the clinic was on the 4th floor, and I took the stairs, and didn’t get short of breath. :-)
Physically I do feel very good, however, I have to say, with everything else going on, emotionally, I’m at the lowest point I’ve ever been in my life. I’m hoping that changes soon. I have been seeing a therapist for this (last two sessions have been via video chat due to the virus). The sessions have been helping. (And this therapist is very hot too, so that’s another added bonus). :-)
Still, I miss my traveling, I miss the concerts, and I’m really REALLY missing hanging out with friends and tailgating.
So, as I said, physically I’m okay, but emotionally I’ve been a bit of a train wreck. I do find that not turning on the TV news and staying off of social media (especially during an election year) keeps my mental state and anger in check.
I am absolutely blown away by the cards, texts, and phone calls by so many of you- other than 3 cousins and an 82 year old aunt in the area, there is no other family of mine close by, only 1 or 2 close friends, so 90% of me getting through this is due in large part to all of you- the parrotheads- who I’ve ALWAYS considered family, and the best therapy ever.
To all of you who I’ve met- please know I truly have savored each and every meeting with each and every one of you. I’ve lived for the moments I gotten to hang out with all of you over the years, and hope & pray for more times in the coming months. I hope you all felt comfortable hanging out with me, because I treasured the times I spent around you. If at any time I ever did, said, or acted in any way to upset any of you, I’m truly sorry, I know I get carried away with myself sometimes, but I never ever wanted to hurt the feelings of any one of you. Please know that when I think of all or any of you, it’s always with a smile and much gratitude.
To those of you whom I haven’t met- I do regret that, and was hoping (still hoping) for a meeting with you somewhere sometime soon.
I’ll close by saying what I said when I started this thread- cherish your life, cherish the ones you love, cherish the ones who love you, if you have a spouse/family who loves you, cherish that, please don’t choose who enters your circle by who they vote for, what sports teams they cheer for, or for tbe way they live their individual life. Everyone you come in contact with in your daily life has something of value to offer. Seek that, cherish that. Give thanks for waking up each day, give thanks for being loved by the ones you are loved by, and, if you’re able, please do what you can to help someone who isn’t as fortunate or as blessed as you. In any way you can. It doesn’t have to be financially. A positive word or two of encouragement does more wonders for more people than you could ever imagine. Don’t forget the animals either- they can’t care for themselves, so we have to.
Thank you for reading this novel- and feel free to text, e-mail or call anytime.
Bless you all. And as The Tams once sang- be young, be foolish, be happy.
Peace & blessings to all.
SMLCHNG
Favorite Buffett Song: Lovely Cruise/Bubbles Up
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Extra dirty gin martini

Post by SMLCHNG »

Much love always, Garry. Thank you for the great update. ❣
big john
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbour
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Oh just give me a beer

Post by big john »

Hang in there Garry. Good luck.
Who's got the rum?
tailgaitingph
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: Manana or CILCIA
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: Yes please

Post by tailgaitingph »

1st of all, thank you for the update & letting us know how you are!
Super happy it's stabilizing and/or shrinking!!
Love that your PET scan shows you moving in the right direction & that you still showed 'feelings' for your nurse :o :lol: during that prostate test.
We ARE absolutely your phamily & care deeply about you!!
Keep walking, every bit you can. It's not gonna hurt.

Also, please continue to keep us updated as you can & let us know if there's something we can do for you.
We love you Garry!!
As I think you know, fin power is very powerful and we continue to send you as much as we can!
/)/)/) 💕
RIPH
I gotta go where it's warm
Favorite Buffett Song: Havana Daydreamin
Favorite Boat Drink: rhum

Post by RIPH »

The power of Phamily is truly amazing!!

Thanks for the update Garry. We are all here fore you as you continue to beat that nasty opponent.

Love you my Phriend. :)
...Gypsy rain, dang hurricanes, white silver sandy shore...
dnw
Last Man Standing

Post by dnw »

Thanks for the update. Hoping we all get to meet somewhere for a concert. Good thoughts headed your way.

Debbie
Dr.Corona
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Apocalypso..no..Semi-True Story..no.Creola..no..REGGAE ACCIDENT!!
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: As if you HAD to ask!!

Post by Dr.Corona »

Thank you for posting an update Garry. Appreciate it greatly. Pleased to hear the various degrees of positivity from your update. Feel free to publish novels here on BN as often as you feel like. It's treasured to be sure by the BN (Parrothead) Phamily !!
Corona by day, Corona by night, any old time is just alright!Image
TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

Thanks, Garry, for the update. Keeping you in my thoughts. Stay strong and positive brother. Please do keep us updated.
dnw
Last Man Standing

Post by dnw »

Garry needs all the phin power, prayers and love we can send him. 🙏🏻 ❤️ /)

Debbie
big john
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbour
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Oh just give me a beer

Post by big john »

Phin power and prayers coming your way Garry.
Who's got the rum?
moog
Last Man Standing

Post by moog »

Garry we are rooting for you. Hang in there brother.
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie »

~~/)~~/)~~/)~~

Also, f*ck cancer.
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

Crazy Navy Flyer
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 100
Favorite Boat Drink: rum

Post by Crazy Navy Flyer »

We're all pulling for you Garry, hang in there.
Back to livin' Floridays
tailgaitingph

Post by tailgaitingph »

lime rickie wrote: July 15, 2020 7:02 pm ~~/)~~/)~~/)~~

Also, f*ck cancer.
What Nancy said!
💘 to ya buddy!!
Keep fighting the fight
dnw
Last Man Standing

Post by dnw »

Thinking if you today, Garry. ❤️

Debbie
Dr.Corona
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Apocalypso..no..Semi-True Story..no.Creola..no..REGGAE ACCIDENT!!
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: As if you HAD to ask!!

Post by Dr.Corona »

Phin Power to you Garry!! Best thoughts coming your way
Corona by day, Corona by night, any old time is just alright!Image
FunkHouse9
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Nautical Wheelers
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: Crown Royal & Ginger Ale

Post by FunkHouse9 »

I wanted to stop by to say I'm thinking about you Garry. Glad to see the update seemed pretty positive and fingers crossed that it all continues in that direction.
Maybe it's because in spite of all the work we do, it's the child in us we really value.
SMLCHNG
Favorite Buffett Song: Lovely Cruise/Bubbles Up
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Extra dirty gin martini

Post by SMLCHNG »

Candy LMT posted this update on FB.. :(

Calling all angels, prayer warriors, friends to send phin power, good vibes, prayers, positive thoughts, love, a little conga...
Update: I'm going to skip through the medical jargon Garry shared, but his latest scan shows the cancer has come back, and aggressively to the left lung, thigh bone, and pelvic bone. It has also spread to the right side: adrenal gland, prostate and lymph nodes around the esophagus. They are discontinuing immunotherapy, and he will be taking a strong cancer drug.
Let's bring out the big guns and show our support. If you'd like to send a card, see the post below. Calls and messages are welcome.
dnw
Last Man Standing

Post by dnw »

Lots of phin power headed for Garry. /) /) /)

Debbie
tailgaitingph

Post by tailgaitingph »

SMLCHNG wrote: July 16, 2020 9:11 pm Candy LMT posted this update on FB.. :(

Calling all angels, prayer warriors, friends to send phin power, good vibes, prayers, positive thoughts, love, a little conga...
Update: I'm going to skip through the medical jargon Garry shared, but his latest scan shows the cancer has come back, and aggressively to the left lung, thigh bone, and pelvic bone. It has also spread to the right side: adrenal gland, prostate and lymph nodes around the esophagus. They are discontinuing immunotherapy, and he will be taking a strong cancer drug.
Let's bring out the big guns and show our support. If you'd like to send a card, see the post below. Calls and messages are welcome.
Thank you for the update Penny