Rarest songs in concert

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Re: Rarest songs in concert

Post by lime rickie »

According to the Song Database Lucky Star has never been played in concert. Would love to hear that live, such a sweet little tune.
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

atmarler26
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Manana and One Particular Harbor
Number of Concerts: 1

Post by atmarler26 »

SharkysMV1 wrote: April 29, 2019 3:24 pmGood idea for a thread - it would be cool if we could run stats on here, but at a casual look at the setlists for shows I've seen, the only song that is close to a "rarity" that I've seen is Mermaid in the Night (1/11 times in the database).
Mermaid in the Night was played during the 2012 Lounging At The Lagoon tour because it fit with the tour theme, but other than that year you're right it isn't played all that often.

Another cover that is definitely rare is Please Come To Boston.
"The last time we played here in 2004 in September, the Red Sox won the World Series in October. I'm thinking the same thing this year, how 'bout you?" -Jimmy Buffett, 8/9/2018
Finzup16
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbor
Number of Concerts: 25

Post by Finzup16 »

LIPH wrote: April 28, 2019 6:18 pm I've heard Brahma Fear live. When he played it, I turned to the guy next to me (a stranger) and said "I can't believe he's doing Brahma Fear." He said "huh?" :lol:

I've also heard Livingston's Gone To Texas, in Texas, and everybody sitting around me thought it was a new song.
Not to change the subject but at the Rod Stewart concert 2 summers ago and as First Cut is The Deepest begins, chick next to me says... Oh he's doing a Sheryl Crow song, that's so great!!!!
I didn't even ask if she ever heard of the Cat

My daughter like 9 at the time (at least she had some excuse) hears NO SATISFACTION on TV...... Runs inside... Looks.... And says... Ewwww, who are these old guys doing a Britney Spears song?!?!?!
RainTree
Behind Door #3
Favorite Buffett Song: Depends on the mood
Number of Concerts: 2
Favorite Boat Drink: Bahama Mama

Post by RainTree »

Morris' Nightmare. Last played in concert in 2013.
MICHIPHIN
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Boat Drinks
Number of Concerts: 48
Favorite Boat Drink: Cold Beer

Post by MICHIPHIN »

Margaritaville? or is that too MUCH to ask....?
Trying to Reason, With Hurricane Season......
Mplsfins
If we weren't all crazy ...
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by Mplsfins »

The night he played Defying Gravity at Alpine Valley right after his dad passed away. He ended it with "this is for my old man"
MICHIPHIN
God's Own Drunk

Post by MICHIPHIN »

if you are going to be sentimental......

The first show after 9/11, which was rescheduled in Indy...pushed the showed into November but he still did it in shorts and no shows although it was freezing out........At the encore, Jimmy spoke about how he had to cancel the show due to what has happening in world......and also mentioned how we felt he was "Run out of Town".....that was the most memorable version of Tin Cup ever played, and I was no more than 15 feet from him doing that. Was my first of 50+ shows.....
finsup2k
Gypsies in the palace
Favorite Buffett Song: Migration
Number of Concerts: 38

Post by finsup2k »

I’ve seen 35+ shows and have only heard Migration once. Easily my favorite song, so I wish it was played more.
"As the son of a son of a sailor I went out on the sea for adventure..."
MICHIPHIN
God's Own Drunk

Post by MICHIPHIN »

MICHIPHIN wrote: February 3, 2020 9:01 pm if you are going to be sentimental......

The first show after 9/11, which was rescheduled in Indy...pushed the showed into November but he still did it in shorts and no shows although it was freezing out........At the encore, Jimmy spoke about how he had to cancel the show due to what has happening in world......and also mentioned how we felt he was "Run out of Town".....that was the most memorable version of Tin Cup ever played, and I was no more than 15 feet from him doing that. Was my first of 50+ shows.....
I WAS THERE!!!.....Oh Crap.....I said that...... 8)
atmarler26
I have found me a home

Post by atmarler26 »

The database says he has only covered Teach Your Children once in 2004 so that definitely qualifies as rare, and that was together with Stephen Stills. I looked for the audio of that version on Jokelben and wasn't able to find it (probably because the show wasn't streamed when it happened). I always really liked that song so it would be great to hear him sing it again on his own at some point, maybe right before or after Chanson Pour Les Petits Enfants. And it would be something different than Southern Cross for a change.

He also hasn't covered Magic Carpet Ride since 1997. Would be cool to hear him do that one again as well, if for no other reason than it hasn't been played in so long.
"The last time we played here in 2004 in September, the Red Sox won the World Series in October. I'm thinking the same thing this year, how 'bout you?" -Jimmy Buffett, 8/9/2018
atmarler26
I have found me a home

Post by atmarler26 »

Finzup16 wrote: January 30, 2020 12:04 pmMy daughter like 9 at the time (at least she had some excuse) hears NO SATISFACTION on TV...... Runs inside... Looks.... And says... Ewwww, who are these old guys doing a Britney Spears song?!?!?!
That is funny.....There was one time in 2001 where at the end of Manana, Jimmy sang "I hope Britney Spears never ever does one of my songs." It was in Atlanta.
FunkHouse9
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Nautical Wheelers
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: Crown Royal & Ginger Ale

Post by FunkHouse9 »

Jimmy & Mac played Somewhere Over the Rainbow in Bristow, VA in 2015. If that's not at least tied for the rarest of the rare, I'm not sure what is.
Maybe it's because in spite of all the work we do, it's the child in us we really value.
tailgaitingph
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: Manana or CILCIA
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: Yes please

Post by tailgaitingph »

FunkHouse9 wrote: March 24, 2020 10:05 pm Jimmy & Mac played Somewhere Over the Rainbow in Bristow, VA in 2015. If that's not at least tied for the rarest of the rare, I'm not sure what is.
Considering the crazy weather we had just before the show & rainbow after the storm, it was a very appropriate song too!
You're only as young as you are right now. Make the best of it!

~/)~/)~/) RIP Bubba ~/)~/)~/)
atmarler26
I have found me a home

Post by atmarler26 »

finsup2k wrote: March 3, 2020 9:03 am I’ve seen 35+ shows and have only heard Migration once. Easily my favorite song, so I wish it was played more.
Always liked Migration as well- second best song on A1A for me behind only Tin Cup Chalice (yes, I would rank both ahead of Pirate- I know many others would probably disagree).

He supposedly played it at the St. John's Newfoundland show last year, although the audio of that show has not been uploaded.

Some of the late 1990s live versions of it are cool to go back and listen to as well, like when he played it at the 1999 Sag Harbor show and 1996 at Great Woods.
atmarler26
I have found me a home

Post by atmarler26 »

Is it true that Lone Palm is the only Buffett song that mentions Christmas in the lyrics- "Come Christmas winds, blow all my worries away"- but is not actually a Christmas song? I can't think of another one but maybe there is....

It's only been played twice since 1999 according to the database (one of those two times was last year in Wantagh) so it definitely qualifies as a rarity and is one of his most underrated songs IMO. The 1999 Sag Harbor version is nice also.
Crazy Navy Flyer
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 100
Favorite Boat Drink: rum

Post by Crazy Navy Flyer »

atmarler26 wrote: March 27, 2020 11:02 am
finsup2k wrote: March 3, 2020 9:03 am I’ve seen 35+ shows and have only heard Migration once. Easily my favorite song, so I wish it was played more.
Always liked Migration as well- second best song on A1A for me behind only Tin Cup Chalice (yes, I would rank both ahead of Pirate- I know many others would probably disagree).

He supposedly played it at the St. John's Newfoundland show last year, although the audio of that show has not been uploaded.

Some of the late 1990s live versions of it are cool to go back and listen to as well, like when he played it at the 1999 Sag Harbor show and 1996 at Great Woods.
Migration is one of my favorites, saw him sing it in the Calabash bar in St Thomas in the late 70's.
Back to livin' Floridays