What're Some Songs Jimmy Should Cover?

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

SharkysMV1
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Number of Concerts: 9
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum & Tonic

Re: What're Some Songs Jimmy Should Cover?

Post by SharkysMV1 »

I know he played it in Austin a few years back during an aired rehearsal session, but I’d love a solo acoustic version of James Taylor’s Captain Jim’s Drunken Dream. The lyrics have JB written all over them.
“Later down the road of life, I made the discovery that salt water was also good for the mental abrasions one inevitably acquires on land.” - JB, APLAFifty
atmarler26
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Manana and One Particular Harbor
Number of Concerts: 1

Post by atmarler26 »

Another old 1960's song that comes to mind that could be a good fit is "California Sun" by the Rivieras.

Also I remember he covered a few Tom Petty songs recently, but what about maybe a Traveling Wilburys song?
"The last time we played here in 2004 in September, the Red Sox won the World Series in October. I'm thinking the same thing this year, how 'bout you?" -Jimmy Buffett, 8/9/2018
atmarler26
I have found me a home

Post by atmarler26 »

I was listening to some old shows on Jokelben the other day and found one that was from December 2005 in Colorado. He definitely should have done a cover of "Aspenglow" by John Denver for that show.
"The last time we played here in 2004 in September, the Red Sox won the World Series in October. I'm thinking the same thing this year, how 'bout you?" -Jimmy Buffett, 8/9/2018
atmarler26
I have found me a home

Post by atmarler26 »

SharkysMV1 wrote: July 11, 2019 10:31 pm I know he played it in Austin a few years back during an aired rehearsal session, but I’d love a solo acoustic version of James Taylor’s Captain Jim’s Drunken Dream. The lyrics have JB written all over them.
Interesting.....never even heard that song before and I'm pretty familiar with most of J.T.'s music (or so I thought!) Definitely have to look it up
atmarler26
I have found me a home

Post by atmarler26 »

This song would also be perfect for him in terms of both the lyrics and style of music. From the early 1970s.

Gallery- "There's An Island"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AstvBL5jozA
SeaMajor7th
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by SeaMajor7th »

I would give my left peg leg to see Jimmy sing James Taylor’s "Captain Jim’s Drunken Dream", as someone here mentioned he did once. I know Jimmy did cover JT's song "Mexico", and that was nice.

The one I would recommend is Gordon Lightfoot's "High and Dry".
SeaMajor7th
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by SeaMajor7th »

I just heard a song today that Jimmy has GOT to cover, it would be a perfect fit:

"Farewell to Paradise" by Emmitt Rhodes.

Have a listen and tell me I'm wrong:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCCfHCf-C1U

In addition to the harmonica interludes, Jimmy could (should) add steel drums & wooden marimbas.
LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

You're wrong. That's a horrible song and Buffett doing it wouldn't magically make it good.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
SMLCHNG
Favorite Buffett Song: Lovely Cruise/Bubbles Up
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Extra dirty gin martini

Post by SMLCHNG »

LIPH wrote: October 27, 2019 10:13 pm You're wrong. That's a horrible song and Buffett doing it wouldn't magically make it good.
I'd agree, Larry. I do like the harmonica, but that's it. And it's NOT in Jimmy's vocal range.
palmettopirate
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Favorite Buffett Song: Coast of Carolina
Favorite Boat Drink: sweet tea

Post by palmettopirate »

bonefish wrote: April 2, 2019 4:38 pm "Cool Change" by Little River Band.
Like others I'm not a big fan of covers as JB has enough ammo in his own arsenal. But you do mention a great song. I also like Sailing by Chris Cross.
Every day you wake up you get another chance to do it right.
LIPH
Last Man Standing

Post by LIPH »

The next time Buffett does Why Don't We Get Drunk And Screw he should segue into Luke Bryan's Knockin' Boots. If he's going to sing about getting laid he might as well go all out.
LIPH
Last Man Standing

Post by LIPH »

I went to my first concert when I was a senior in high school. I'm an anal retentive freak and I save all my ticket stubs, I checked and it was May 13, 1970. I've gone to several hundred concerts in the almost 50 years since then. I have never gone to a concert hoping the artist I'm going to see would play someone else's songs. I became a Jimmy Buffett fan because I like Jimmy Buffett's music, not because I liked hearing Jimmy Buffett playing somebody else's music. If I wanted to hear a cover band I would go see some local yokel at a bar for a $5 cover charge. With the catalog of music that Buffett has built up over the years, why would you want to hear him do anything but his own stuff? It just boggles my mind when I see s*** like this thread. Your mileage may vary.
SMLCHNG
Favorite Buffett Song: Lovely Cruise/Bubbles Up
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Extra dirty gin martini

Post by SMLCHNG »

LIPH wrote: October 28, 2019 4:25 pm I went to my first concert when I was a senior in high school. I'm an anal retentive freak and I save all my ticket stubs, I checked and it was May 13, 1970. I've gone to several hundred concerts in the almost 50 years since then. I have never gone to a concert hoping the artist I'm going to see would play someone else's songs. I became a Jimmy Buffett fan because I like Jimmy Buffett's music, not because I liked hearing Jimmy Buffett playing somebody else's music. If I wanted to hear a cover band I would go see some local yokel at a bar for a $5 cover charge. With the catalog of music that Buffett has built up over the years, why would you want to hear him do anything but his own stuff? It just boggles my mind when I see s*** like this thread. Your mileage may vary.
[smilie=coolup.gif] [smilie=coolup.gif] [smilie=coolup.gif] [smilie=coolup.gif]
Dr.Corona
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Apocalypso..no..Semi-True Story..no.Creola..no..REGGAE ACCIDENT!!
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: As if you HAD to ask!!

Post by Dr.Corona »

As far as a cover to put on an LP......if JB & The Reefers want to cover something & do a fine job with it then its all good to me.
As far a live shows go. IMO thats a tough call. I've been to many shows wherein the artist pulls a "surprise" cover out & I think its pretty cool. Now if an artist pulls out a cover for a tour & its pretty well know its gonna be a staple of the tour I think it can take the luster off it. I can't argue with those that would rather hear an original live though....although if they're gonna play Math Suks live I'm willing to take my chances with a cover instead. [smilie=noeyedear-shrugging.gif]
Corona by day, Corona by night, any old time is just alright!Image
FunkHouse9
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Nautical Wheelers
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: Crown Royal & Ginger Ale

Post by FunkHouse9 »

LIPH wrote: October 28, 2019 10:27 am he should segue into Luke Bryan's Knockin' Boots.
Talk about an awful song.... :roll:
Maybe it's because in spite of all the work we do, it's the child in us we really value.
RainTree
Behind Door #3
Favorite Buffett Song: Depends on the mood
Number of Concerts: 2
Favorite Boat Drink: Bahama Mama

Post by RainTree »

I don't like cover songs - especially when included on live CDs. Have enough of Brown Eye Girl and don't want to hear it anymore.

Yes, Jimmy has some clunkers and some songs we all may not agree on. But he has so many great ones, I'm for NO covers!
Finzup16
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbor
Number of Concerts: 25

Post by Finzup16 »

American Dream - Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
TheSecretsInTheCrust
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: California Promises
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Captain & Coke

Post by TheSecretsInTheCrust »

I'd love to hear Jimmy cover Boz Scaggs song Harbor Lights
Find Yourself A Lover Who Will Glue You To The Floor
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie »

Not averse to covers. I really love Everyone's Talkin', Into the Mystic, Reggaebillly Hill and many others.

Cover wish list: Hot Fun in the Summertime, Sugar Magnolia
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

atmarler26
I have found me a home

Post by atmarler26 »

Not a huge country music fan in terms of the overall genre, but there are some country songs I do like and one of them is Ten Rounds With Jose Cuervo by Tracy Byrd. It was released way back in 2002 (one year before Five O'Clock Somewhere was). That one could be a good fit, although maybe it's a bit too country for his style.

Mentioned previously that maybe a Wilburys song could work, and there actually is one called "Margarita" although it isn't really one of the best songs the group did. It's a decent song though.