The latest rumors and confirmed dates

Moderator: SMLCHNG

Finzup16
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbor
Number of Concerts: 25

I think.........

Post by Finzup16 »

It's time for Jimmy Buffett to rethink his marketing strategy.
I totally understand his many years of slowly and sometimes last minutely announcing his concert schedule but I'm not sure if it's still effective.
Many bands in his age group (Stones, Kiss, Eagles, Bob Seger, Rod Stewart and others) are selling tickets for shows 8 months out and more.
I'm also not sure that outside the Parrot Head cult there's THAT much interest in him.
In my opinion the longer he waits the longer a lot of those who WOULD love to see him may have spent their concert allowences elsewhere.
Inrigue and anticipation build up may have once been the correct path but it's not only these performers getting older, we are too.
I find myself (a 20 year, 3 concert per year fan) saying "yes, I'll go with that now and if Jimmy comes around and I can't afford the time or money than SO BE IT)
ragtopW
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0

Re: I think.........

Post by ragtopW »

Boise is 03/13/2019 He announced in November... Really in October on the Bing and Bong show.
Dr.Corona
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Apocalypso..no..Semi-True Story..no.Creola..no..REGGAE ACCIDENT!!
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: As if you HAD to ask!!

Post by Dr.Corona »

I think 5-6 months out is about right. I don't need 8-10+ months out.
Your mileage may vary............
Corona by day, Corona by night, any old time is just alright!Image
TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

Add on the fact that Garth Brooks is doing a stadium tour , and Chesney is doing smaller venues ( compared to stadiums). The problem is holding out for Buffett dates , if you want to see the other concerts , that have been announced. I know I want to see Garth , and I do want to see Kiss just because of the theatrics. Maybe Bob Seger.
Gypsy In The Palace
I Love the Now!

Post by Gypsy In The Palace »

What I dislike now is that the dates are announced one at a time. I made a decision several years ago that I was going to do whatever it takes to see him once a year. He is getting up there in years, and I know this can’t last much longer. So, I am not going to let a year pass without seeing him while it lasts. Most of the time, I am able to meet that goal without too much trouble. Last year, I ended up making a long road trip because the one show near me was on a Tuesday night right at a time that I had a major deadline at work. And, I am not complaining at all about that. I just had to travel because I had a conflict with the one easily makeable show.

But, now when a date comes out, I find myself wondering if I ought to buy tickets for that show or wait to see if there is another more convenient show. It used to be that every show usually came out at once- usually sometime in February. And, that gave me a chance to look at the whole tour schedule and figure out which one best fits my own schedule and budget. Something apparently changed, and I don’t know if it was JB, LiveNation, or someone else who went to this one at a time strategy. It just makes it hard to plan because I’m left wondering when a date comes out what dates are left to come and if one of them will be a better one.
FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Ice Cold Loaded Landshark

Post by FinsUp6835 »

I’m pretty sure during Bing and Bong in the Fall he said he would be in NJ in August. I am hoping be will play the Atlantic City beach again
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.
bralph
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Trying To Reason With Hurricane Season
Number of Concerts: 12

Post by bralph »

Gypsy In The Palace wrote: December 3, 2018 2:30 pm What I dislike now is that the dates are announced one at a time. I made a decision several years ago that I was going to do whatever it takes to see him once a year. He is getting up there in years, and I know this can’t last much longer. So, I am not going to let a year pass without seeing him while it lasts. Most of the time, I am able to meet that goal without too much trouble. Last year, I ended up making a long road trip because the one show near me was on a Tuesday night right at a time that I had a major deadline at work. And, I am not complaining at all about that. I just had to travel because I had a conflict with the one easily makeable show.

But, now when a date comes out, I find myself wondering if I ought to buy tickets for that show or wait to see if there is another more convenient show. It used to be that every show usually came out at once- usually sometime in February. And, that gave me a chance to look at the whole tour schedule and figure out which one best fits my own schedule and budget. Something apparently changed, and I don’t know if it was JB, LiveNation, or someone else who went to this one at a time strategy. It just makes it hard to plan because I’m left wondering when a date comes out what dates are left to come and if one of them will be a better one.
I agree 100%. It's pretty easy for me to get to Detroit, Cleveland, Cincy, Indy, Chi, Pit, etc. It used to be that we could review all the dates and pick the one that worked best for our group. Now we have to jump at the first one that goes on sale and works for most, because we have no idea if the other dates will line up (or if he will even go, in the case of Detroit last year). It is incredibly annoying, and I don't see what the advantage could be in doing it that way. There are a lot of other artists that announce their entire tour at once.
Dr.Corona
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Apocalypso..no..Semi-True Story..no.Creola..no..REGGAE ACCIDENT!!
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: As if you HAD to ask!!

Post by Dr.Corona »

bralph wrote: December 4, 2018 9:14 am
Gypsy In The Palace wrote: December 3, 2018 2:30 pm What I dislike now is that the dates are announced one at a time. I made a decision several years ago that I was going to do whatever it takes to see him once a year. He is getting up there in years, and I know this can’t last much longer. So, I am not going to let a year pass without seeing him while it lasts. Most of the time, I am able to meet that goal without too much trouble. Last year, I ended up making a long road trip because the one show near me was on a Tuesday night right at a time that I had a major deadline at work. And, I am not complaining at all about that. I just had to travel because I had a conflict with the one easily makeable show.

I agree 100%. It's pretty easy for me to get to Detroit, Cleveland, Cincy, Indy, Chi, Pit, etc. It used to be that we could review all the dates and pick the one that worked best for our group. Now we have to jump at the first one that goes on sale and works for most, because we have no idea if the other dates will line up (or if he will even go, in the case of Detroit last year). It is incredibly annoying, and I don't see what the advantage could be in doing it that way. There are a lot of other artists that announce their entire tour at once.
Now THESE are very smart comments that I agree with........
Corona by day, Corona by night, any old time is just alright!Image
C4Parrothead
I need two more boat drinks
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate Looks at 40 / Someday I will / Little Miss Magic / DelaneyTalks
Number of Concerts: 36
Favorite Boat Drink: Tito’s

Post by C4Parrothead »

bralph wrote: December 4, 2018 9:14 am

Couldn't agree more. With all the smart folks in Jimmy's camp, surely this has been discussed. If not he's wasting payroll dollars. Fully grasp the whole mystique that comes with all these announcements - it is a holiday for many of us - but c'mon. He could even do a cool-ish announcement on a social media chanel & it would be more effective that checking a website (and refreshing 15xs a day) beginning in Jan/Feb.
Someday I will.

Latest Tour Stops:
-Dublin, Ireland 9.21.19 - SOASOAS (33)
-Red Rocks 9.9.21 - Slack Tide (34)
-Raleigh 4.23.22 - Life on the Flip Side (35)
-Charlotte 4.30.22 - Life on the Flip Side (36)
LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

People have short memories. A few years ago he did announce the entire schedule at once. People made plans, including buying plane tickets, before the concert tickets went on sale. Some shows wound up being cancelled and people were stuck with nonrefundable plane tickets. The hitching and moaning was unbelievable.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
bralph
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Trying To Reason With Hurricane Season
Number of Concerts: 12

Post by bralph »

LIPH wrote: December 4, 2018 1:26 pm People have short memories. A few years ago he did announce the entire schedule at once. People made plans, including buying plane tickets, before the concert tickets went on sale. Some shows wound up being cancelled and people were stuck with nonrefundable plane tickets. The hitching and moaning was unbelievable.
Well, that's on them not Jimmy. Stupid to buy non-refundable plane tickets without at least having the concert tickets confirmed/in-hand.
jbfins
I gotta go where it's warm

Post by jbfins »

I can understand people's gripes, but when was the last time any of his shows sold out? When was the last time you could not get a reasonably priced ticket here through the ticket exchange or on Stub-Hub or through some other platform? Years ago, back when he was popular, you had to wait on an actual line or call Tickmaster to get tickets (using the only phone in the house or at the office). Shows sold out quickly and then you were at the mercy of scalpers. Sometimes, you had to just show up at the concert and walk around holding up your finger to get a ticket.

If he does announce tour dates separately, or by region, maybe that is done to capitalize on your fear of missing out. If all concert dates are dropped at once, people will pick the show they want to attend most and it is possible other venues will have reduced ticket sales. I am sure there are "metrics" and "optics" and all sorts of other crap that is taken into account when the decision to release dates is made.

Please note, I do not think that Jimmy, as capitalistic as he rightfully is, is the person creating or taking advantage of any potential increase in ticket sales through whatever release date strategy is being used. Jimmy is not the only person who makes money off of a tour. Tens of millions of dollars are in play, so it only makes sense for whoever is involved to maximize the money making opportunity.

But clearly there is a strategy. I saw one Bing and Bong show where Jimmy said he is "not allowed" to talk about dates that seemed to already be set. So someone, whether is be Live Nation, a title sponsor, an investor who is owed money from the failed Broadway Show, whoever, calls the shots and is doing so with a purpose in mind. And that purpose is to separate you from your $$$.
"Some people never find it..."
FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Ice Cold Loaded Landshark

Post by FinsUp6835 »

I think this thread is a bit silly....

Jimmy has been touring 40 plus years and has earned the right to do whatever he wants. Let's just be thankful that he is still touring and doing some dates here and there.
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.
MDShark70
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbor
Number of Concerts: 108
Favorite Boat Drink: The one in my hand
Location: Southeast of Disorder, Near the Port of Indecision, so you know, Maryland

Post by MDShark70 »

Yeah, it's a bit annoying when the tour schedule comes out in drips and drabs but what are you gonna do? I make it work the best I can. I can't remember the whole tour coming out at once for a long time. I do recall when he did it via video and used Google Earth to zoom in on each venue as he announced it. But that was probably more than 10 years ago.
It was too much tequila . . . . or not quite enough.
SMLCHNG
Favorite Buffett Song: Lovely Cruise/Bubbles Up
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Extra dirty gin martini

Post by SMLCHNG »

LIPH wrote: December 4, 2018 1:26 pm People have short memories. A few years ago he did announce the entire schedule at once. People made plans, including buying plane tickets, before the concert tickets went on sale. Some shows wound up being cancelled and people were stuck with nonrefundable plane tickets. The hitching and moaning was unbelievable.
I remember it well. OMG, the comments and attitudes were off the charts. :-? :evil:
TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

jbfins wrote: December 5, 2018 1:04 pm I can understand people's gripes, but when was the last time any of his shows sold out? When was the last time you could not get a reasonably priced ticket here through the ticket exchange or on Stub-Hub or through some other platform? Years ago, back when he was popular, you had to wait on an actual line or call Tickmaster to get tickets (using the only phone in the house or at the office). Shows sold out quickly and then you were at the mercy of scalpers. Sometimes, you had to just show up at the concert and walk around holding up your finger to get a ticket.

If he does announce tour dates separately, or by region, maybe that is done to capitalize on your fear of missing out. If all concert dates are dropped at once, people will pick the show they want to attend most and it is possible other venues will have reduced ticket sales. I am sure there are "metrics" and "optics" and all sorts of other crap that is taken into account when the decision to release dates is made.

Please note, I do not think that Jimmy, as capitalistic as he rightfully is, is the person creating or taking advantage of any potential increase in ticket sales through whatever release date strategy is being used. Jimmy is not the only person who makes money off of a tour. Tens of millions of dollars are in play, so it only makes sense for whoever is involved to maximize the money making opportunity.

But clearly there is a strategy. I saw one Bing and Bong show where Jimmy said he is "not allowed" to talk about dates that seemed to already be set. So someone, whether is be Live Nation, a title sponsor, an investor who is owed money from the failed Broadway Show, whoever, calls the shots and is doing so with a purpose in mind. And that purpose is to separate you from your $$$.
You don't see as many posted on the ticket exchange anymore. It use to be busy , with people looking or selling. If i'm looking for great seats , i wait till closer to the show , when they have there ticket drops. Or at the Venue the day of the show. I've had a lot of success with that. But , again i'm usually buying a single. So it's much easier.You can usually predict when he will come to a venue he plays yearly ( GW , Cincy , Camden..etc). He has changed it a bit , where GW use to be Labor Day Weekend , Then it was mid June for years. The last couple of years it's been August. Since the Golf Tournament has been moved to May , and rotating every other years , with i want to say , either NJ or DC area. I wonder if a Labor Day weekend show would return to GW. I don't think not announcing the full tour would decrease sales. People usually plan on traveling to a few shows a year. So whether they are announced all at once , or speratically , i think the sales would be close to the same.
tropicalmindset
I need two more boat drinks
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH, Island, Boat Drinks, Growing Older, Bama Breeze, Last Mango
Number of Concerts: 9
Favorite Boat Drink: Jack with a splash of coke

Post by tropicalmindset »

Personally it annoys me as well. Constantly having to wait until usually late April for an Alpine Valley date. But I've gotten used to it as well. Over the past few years my group as left open two weekends in August for a potential Alpine date. While it can be a pain at times, we've learned to adjust.
2012 - Chicago (Tinley Park)
2013 - Alpine Valley
2014 - Alpine Valley
2015 - Alpine Valley
2016 - Alpine Valley
2017 - Chicago (Wrigley Field)
2018 - Chicago (Wrigley Field)
2019 - Alpine Valley
2022 - Alpine Valley
BottleofRum
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris: It's My Job
Favorite Boat Drink: Barbancourt Rhum

Post by BottleofRum »

For Great Woods in Mansfield, several shows already on-sale for 2019. And 3 Saturday dates are booked: 7/13, 8/3 and 8/17. The 8/17 date being booked by the Train/Goo Goo Dolls concert is notable because recently when he has played at Great Woods it has been that 3rd Saturday in August.

The big PGA golf tournament over Labor Day weekend at the course next to Great Woods which prevented any shows from happening over Labor Day weekend since 2004 is officially done for good. The next time that golf event happens it will be in 2020 and it will be in early August so..... Buffett at Great Woods Labor Day weekend 2019... again!? One can dream.
- - “If it doesn't work out there will never be any doubt that the pleasure was worth all the pain.”
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie »

BottleofRum wrote: December 6, 2018 4:23 pm For Great Woods in Mansfield, several shows already on-sale for 2019. And 3 Saturday dates are booked: 7/13, 8/3 and 8/17. The 8/17 date being booked by the Train/Goo Goo Dolls concert is notable because recently when he has played at Great Woods it has been that 3rd Saturday in August.

The big PGA golf tournament over Labor Day weekend at the course next to Great Woods which prevented any shows from happening over Labor Day weekend since 2004 is officially done for good. The next time that golf event happens it will be in 2020 and it will be in early August so..... Buffett at Great Woods Labor Day weekend 2019... again!? One can dream.
The Red Roof Inn website is quoting $250/night for Labor Day 2019 weekend. :lol:
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

BottleofRum
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris: It's My Job
Favorite Boat Drink: Barbancourt Rhum

Post by BottleofRum »

Follow the money....
- - “If it doesn't work out there will never be any doubt that the pleasure was worth all the pain.”