RM - Matt Hoggatt is AWFUL!

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

C4Parrothead
I need two more boat drinks
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate Looks at 40 / Someday I will / Little Miss Magic / DelaneyTalks
Number of Concerts: 36
Favorite Boat Drink: Tito’s

RM - Matt Hoggatt is AWFUL!

Post by C4Parrothead »

Someone PLEASE pull the plug on the Matt Hoggatt on RM! He is just AWFUL.

Its bad enough that they play his slap stick crappy music from time-to-time, but now to have him as a constant on RM to just too damn much. Can't take this hack anymore.

MAKE IT STOP!!! :x
Someday I will.

Latest Tour Stops:
-Dublin, Ireland 9.21.19 - SOASOAS (33)
-Red Rocks 9.9.21 - Slack Tide (34)
-Raleigh 4.23.22 - Life on the Flip Side (35)
-Charlotte 4.30.22 - Life on the Flip Side (36)
FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Ice Cold Loaded Landshark

Re: RM - Matt Hoggatt is AWFUL!

Post by FinsUp6835 »

Meh. I don't really mind him that much. Seems like you do :D
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.
C4Parrothead
I need two more boat drinks
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate Looks at 40 / Someday I will / Little Miss Magic / DelaneyTalks
Number of Concerts: 36
Favorite Boat Drink: Tito’s

Post by C4Parrothead »

FinsUp6835 wrote: April 13, 2018 12:13 pm Meh. I don't really mind him that much. Seems like you do :D
Meh. Yes I do. Thanks for chiming in.
Someday I will.

Latest Tour Stops:
-Dublin, Ireland 9.21.19 - SOASOAS (33)
-Red Rocks 9.9.21 - Slack Tide (34)
-Raleigh 4.23.22 - Life on the Flip Side (35)
-Charlotte 4.30.22 - Life on the Flip Side (36)
FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Ice Cold Loaded Landshark

Post by FinsUp6835 »

C4Parrothead wrote: April 13, 2018 2:52 pm
FinsUp6835 wrote: April 13, 2018 12:13 pm Meh. I don't really mind him that much. Seems like you do :D
Meh. Yes I do. Thanks for chiming in.
You are welcome. That is why you made this a topic right? For people to chime in and discuss it? :pirate:
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.
SMLCHNG
Favorite Buffett Song: Lovely Cruise/Bubbles Up
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Extra dirty gin martini

Post by SMLCHNG »

I've seen others mention how they don't like him, either. :-?
msu#1
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by msu#1 »

If Jimmy Pat's you on the back...the fringe will follow suit
Lake Erie Pirate scientist
BottleofRum
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris: It's My Job
Favorite Boat Drink: Barbancourt Rhum

Post by BottleofRum »

JD Spradlin is also awful. He never shuts up. After every song he drones on and on about a mudande story. Dude, just play the music, no one cares about you or your stories.
- - “If it doesn't work out there will never be any doubt that the pleasure was worth all the pain.”
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie »

C4Parrothead wrote: April 13, 2018 10:36 am Someone PLEASE pull the plug on the Matt Hoggatt on RM! He is just AWFUL.

Its bad enough that they play his slap stick crappy music from time-to-time, but now to have him as a constant on RM to just too damn much. Can't take this hack anymore.

MAKE IT STOP!!! :x
Seconded.

Whenever he is on I flip to The Tikipod or A1A Radio.
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

I have SiriusXM in my car but I rarely listen to RM so I've never heard Matt Hoggatt. The only one of his songs I've ever heard is that awful "Dear Jimmy Buffett", or whatever the title of that s*** is. If his DJ'ing is on that same level, I guess I'm not missing anything.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
SharkysMV1
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Number of Concerts: 9
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum & Tonic

Post by SharkysMV1 »

JD has gotten slightly better over the years. I agree...Matt Hoggatt is tough to listen to. He dumbs song intros down so low, it's as if he's explaining the songs to people who have only heard Margaritaville/CIB.
“Later down the road of life, I made the discovery that salt water was also good for the mental abrasions one inevitably acquires on land.” - JB, APLAFifty
BottleofRum

Post by BottleofRum »

LIPH wrote: April 18, 2018 11:27 am I have SiriusXM in my car but I rarely listen to RM so I've never heard Matt Hoggatt. The only one of his songs I've ever heard is that awful "Dear Jimmy Buffett", or whatever the title of that s*** is. If his DJ'ing is on that same level, I guess I'm not missing anything.
I think he is on weekends once in a while, not sure if it is a regular gig. I don't listen to RM much anymore but I'll scan over to it and see if there is a song I like but I never stick with the station very long anymore. I just wish they only played music, they don't need DJs on that station.
Last edited by BottleofRum on April 19, 2018 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
- - “If it doesn't work out there will never be any doubt that the pleasure was worth all the pain.”
SeattleParrotHead
Favorite Buffett Song: Island, 12v Man
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: Mai Tais @ Dukes

Post by SeattleParrotHead »

I don't mind some of the chit-chat, news about Jimmy and such.... but I don't need Matt to tell me that Mac MacAnally is a member of Jimmy's band, The Coral Reefers, every time he plays one of Mac's songs.
ImageImage

I know the voices in my head aren’t real, but sometimes they have really good ideas…..
SPH
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie »

Remember the old jokes about having a face for radio? Matt Hoggatt doesn't even have that. His observations and commentary are pedestrian, boring, and cringeworthy. Others may feel differently.

I tune in RM as the background music for my workday, and on weekends, too. When he is on I immediately go elsewhere, he is just insipid. YMMV.
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

BottleofRum wrote: April 18, 2018 3:23 pm
LIPH wrote: April 18, 2018 11:27 am I have SiriusXM in my car but I rarely listen to RM so I've never heard Matt Hoggatt. The only one of his songs I've ever heard is that awful "Dear Jimmy Buffett", or whatever the title of that s*** is. If his DJ'ing is on that same level, I guess I'm not missing anything.
I think he is on on weekend once in a while, not sure if it is a regular gig. I don't listen to RM much anymore but I'll scan over to it and see if there is a song I like but I never stick with the station very long anymore. I just wish they only played music, they don't need DJs on that station.
i have sirius , and listen to RM some mornings coming in. Hoggatt was on a few mornings during the week. Yes , he is rough on the ears. I don't mind JD.
BottleofRum

Post by BottleofRum »

SeattleParrotHead wrote: April 18, 2018 6:49 pm I don't mind some of the chit-chat, news about Jimmy and such.... but I don't need Matt to tell me that Mac MacAnally is a member of Jimmy's band, The Coral Reefers, every time he plays one of Mac's songs.
That is how I feel about JD, after each song he has to tell a story about when he first heard that song and what was happening in his life and how it impacted him and how the next song inspired him and how he is live in Orlando at the Cafe..... when I am listening to RM when the song end and I hear his voice I change to another station immediately.
RainTree
Behind Door #3
Favorite Buffett Song: Depends on the mood
Number of Concerts: 2
Favorite Boat Drink: Bahama Mama

Post by RainTree »

I'd like the Buffett Buffet to be just the annoucement of the song - location, date, etc. - and no other chatter.

Listen to RM less and less. [smilie=battingeyes.gif]
andygradel75
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbor
Favorite Boat Drink: Hurricane

Post by andygradel75 »

Wow, you guys are a tough crowd... I agree 100% about Hoggatt. There's just something about his cadence and topics that makes me cringe a bit.

But, I actually enjoy JD and the other jocks. With JD, there's something neat about him broadcasting from Margaritaville in Orlando and I've never found his breaks to be overly long at all.
Andy Gradel
If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane.
micorbs
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: It changes with the tides. Right now, I am digging Holiday.
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita or Mojito

Post by micorbs »

Not a Hoggatt fan. I always hope that I am away from my desk when he speaks. I don't mind JD. I think RM needs to add some text to let the listener know what song is being played. They play some great older/obscure stuff, it would be nice to know what I am hearing.
surfpirate
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: African Friend
Number of Concerts: 98

Post by surfpirate »

The biggest problem I have with Radio Margaritaville is their preponderance to play live versions vs. studio music at about a 9 to 1 ratio.

I do not care for the live versions at all. They are generally Jimmy shouting the lyrics ("ran into a CHUM with a bottle of RUM and we wound up drinking all night").

I get it. Jimmy owns the live versions and doesn't have to pay royalties to someone else (like MCA records) as he does when they play a studio version of "Come Monday".
But the live versions pale in comparison to his original studio recordings.

For that reason I rarely tune into RM.

As for Matt Hoggett, for the most part you can dismiss him, his schtick and gimick and claim to fame was "Dear Jimmy Buffett". But ..... give a listen to his song "When War Wasn't War". His voice may not be your style, but the message is pretty powerful.

"There are no stupid questions. But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots."
BNCRITTERS.COM | TWITTER | FACEBOOK | SURF SHOP |
PeoriaTom
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: West Nashville Grand Ballroom Gown
Number of Concerts: 5

Post by PeoriaTom »

Okay, I was trying to lighten up about this, but ... most of the DJs are terrible. Kirsten is pretty good, Steve Huntington is fine (if a bit odd), Carson is okay ... but Matt Hoggatt is HORRIBLE, and JD needs to just chill out. LOL, it sounds like it's his first time on air every time! It's okay, JD!!
Past Concerts:
Saturday 6/28/2003 - East Troy, WI
Tuesday 4/17/2012 - Des Moines, IA
Saturday 7/25/2016 - Tinley Park, IL
Saturday 7/15/2017 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field)
Tuesday 5/22/2018 - Des Moines, IA
Friday 7/13/2018 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field)

Upcoming:
Saturday 7/20 - Alpine Valley!