BRISTOW 2016

The latest rumors and confirmed dates

Moderator: SMLCHNG

MDShark70
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbor
Number of Concerts: 108
Favorite Boat Drink: The one in my hand
Location: Southeast of Disorder, Near the Port of Indecision, so you know, Maryland

Re: BRISTOW 2016

Post by MDShark70 »

It's just my speculation that the limited tailgating has led to fewer people attending. I'm sure there are other factors as well. But whatever the reason, fewer tickets sold makes it difficult for the venue to make money given the financial requirements of the Buffett tour. Sadly,the demand is just not there anymore.
It was too much tequila . . . . or not quite enough.
tailgaitingph
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: Manana or CILCIA
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: Yes please

Post by tailgaitingph »

I'll admit (as I have before) that the tailgating isn't anywhere near what it used to be. I do think it's gotten a lot better since the year of the ban but I also don't think it will ever be what it was 'back in the day'. I now travel all the way to GW for a great tailgate :) but this is my hometown venue :(
That being said, I know it's all about the money and I get that. Jimmy's gotta get his & JLL's not gonna loose money so, here we are.
I'll hold out hope for another month or so until I think he's done announcing shows for this tour.
You're only as young as you are right now. Make the best of it!

~/)~/)~/) RIP Bubba ~/)~/)~/)
urlcenter
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 6

Post by urlcenter »

tailgaitingph wrote:I'll admit (as I have before) that the tailgating isn't anywhere near what it used to be. I do think it's gotten a lot better since the year of the ban but I also don't think it will ever be what it was 'back in the day'. I now travel all the way to GW for a great tailgate :) but this is my hometown venue :(
That being said, I know it's all about the money and I get that. Jimmy's gotta get his & JLL's not gonna loose money so, here we are.
I'll hold out hope for another month or so until I think he's done announcing shows for this tour.
There may in fact be another issue in play here and that is last year's Bristow show, the start of which included some serious pre show confusion as to whether or not the show was actually happening. For those who were not there or did not hear about what happened at last year's Bristow show, here is what went down:

The show was scheduled with for an 8 pm start as all of the shows usually are however about 40 minutes before the show was scheduled to begin the Bristow area was hit with some very nasty weather the included rain, strong winds, lightening, and thunder. Shortly after the weather began, it was announced that Jimmy's show would begin later than 8 pm but the show would still go on. However shortly after the announcement of the delayed concert start time, a tornado warning was issued for the Bristow area. At this point there were people inside the venue waiting out the weather under the venue's pavilion at the same time there were people who chose to ride out the weather in their cars in the parking lots. As soon as the tornado warning was issued venue security acting on there own began announcing that the show was cancelled. Security in the parking lots began turning people away from the venue gates telling them the show was cancelled, many hearing this news returned to their cars and left the venue. Remember security was acting on their own in cancelling the show, and the problem with this move was they had not checked with Jimmy and the CRB. The only decision Jimmy had made was to delay the start time which he stuck to starting the show shortly after 8:30 with a rainbow no less appearing over the venue. Jimmy did perform a slightly shorter then usual show of 25 songs because the weather forecasts were for another round of storms hitting the area between 10 and 11 pm.

The false cancellation of the show triggered a large number of complaints on Jiffy Lube Live's FB page the next day from those who left after being told the show had been cancelled.

So could be that Jimmy is still ticked off a JLL security?
phrankbama
I have found me a home

Post by phrankbama »

Although additional shows are still trickling in, I think it is time to realize Jimmy is not coming to the DC area this year. Ouch [smilie=crying.gif]
The Wino and I know.
FunkHouse9
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Nautical Wheelers
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: Crown Royal & Ginger Ale

Post by FunkHouse9 »

Well Andrea, I called it. I was just a year early on him cutting Bristow out of the cycle. Had I made the bet a year later, I might never see you again to collect my winnings. Perhaps I'll travel for a show again someday, but it isn't high on my list of priorities.

This summer has not brought nearly the number of concerts that interest me to the DC area. Fortunately, the quality of the few I am going to is pretty high and the cost savings of fewer shows is being offset by a spike in the average ticket price for the ones I am going to.
Maybe it's because in spite of all the work we do, it's the child in us we really value.
Saltx3
Favorite Buffett Song: Boats to Build
Favorite Boat Drink: MARGARITA, FIREBALL WHISKEY

Post by Saltx3 »

FunkHouse9 wrote:Well Andrea, I called it. I was just a year early on him cutting Bristow out of the cycle. Had I made the bet a year later, I might never see you again to collect my winnings. Perhaps I'll travel for a show again someday, but it isn't high on my list of priorities.

This summer has not brought nearly the number of concerts that interest me to the DC area. Fortunately, the quality of the few I am going to is pretty high and the cost savings of fewer shows is being offset by a spike in the average ticket price for the ones I am going to.

so who lost the bet?
SALT, SALT, SALT/Linda
FunkHouse9
At the Bama Breeze

Post by FunkHouse9 »

Saltx3 wrote:
FunkHouse9 wrote:Well Andrea, I called it. I was just a year early on him cutting Bristow out of the cycle. Had I made the bet a year later, I might never see you again to collect my winnings. Perhaps I'll travel for a show again someday, but it isn't high on my list of priorities.

so who lost the bet?
I did because in 2014 I bet he wouldn't return in 2015, which he did. But, do was right about Bristow's demise being imminent.
Maybe it's because in spite of all the work we do, it's the child in us we really value.
surfpirate
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: African Friend
Number of Concerts: 98

Post by surfpirate »

phrankbama wrote:Although additional shows are still trickling in, I think it is time to realize Jimmy is not coming to the DC area this year. Ouch [smilie=crying.gif]
Which still somewhat surprises me.

Between Merriweather Post and Nissan/Jiffy Lube
(plus a few other smaller DC area places in the early years)
Jimmy has NOT missed playing in this area for nearly 40 years.

Ever year. Sometimes as many as 5 shows in a single summer.

Add them all up, and he has played this area more than ... any ... other ... area.
More than Cincinnati; Great Woods. Anywhere.
And without missing a single year in decades.

Until this year.
"There are no stupid questions. But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots."
BNCRITTERS.COM | TWITTER | FACEBOOK | SURF SHOP |
urlcenter
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 6

Post by urlcenter »

surfpirate wrote:
phrankbama wrote:Although additional shows are still trickling in, I think it is time to realize Jimmy is not coming to the DC area this year. Ouch [smilie=crying.gif]
Which still somewhat surprises me.

Between Merriweather Post and Nissan/Jiffy Lube
(plus a few other smaller DC area places in the early years)
Jimmy has NOT missed playing in this area for nearly 40 years.

Ever year. Sometimes as many as 5 shows in a single summer.

Add them all up, and he has played this area more than ... any ... other ... area.
More than Cincinnati; Great Woods. Anywhere.
And without missing a single year in decades.

Until this year.
There was a poster earlier in this thread who mentioned that the issue between JLL and Jimmy had to due with money and while that is quite possibly true, the issues at last year's JLL show may have Jimmy still upset. However there is an open date in Jimmy's August schedule of Tuesday August 16 which is also open at JLL so there could still be a chance
phrankbama
I have found me a home

Post by phrankbama »

So we need to start a campaign to get Jimmy here on that open date. Anyone know who we should contact?
The Wino and I know.
FunkHouse9
At the Bama Breeze

Post by FunkHouse9 »

I can't fathom that he'd play a Tuesday in Bristow. He hasn't sold terribly well here for weekend shows in recent years. It would seem that a Tuesday show would sell particularly badly. I'm bummed that he hasn't announced that he hasn't announced a DC show. I'm equally bummed that what appears to be the only remaining option for a date is on a day when I likely wouldn't be able to go. :cry:

I've reached the point where I skip shows I want to see if they are at The Lube. I really wish Jimmy would return to Merriweather. He would likely sell out Merriweather and the experience would hopefully be better all around for everyone.
WVParrothead
If we weren't all crazy ...
Favorite Buffett Song: Stories We Could Tell
Number of Concerts: 118

Post by WVParrothead »

Not speaking specifically to Bristow, but August 30th is a more likely Open Date to be filled than August 16th is.

August 27th: Camden
August 30th: Open
September 1st: Omaha
Pittsburgh(17)
Cincy(15)
Bristow(14)
Boston(11)
Camden(6)
Tampa/Vegas(5)
Blossom(4)
Alpine/Delray/Jones Beach/Nashville(3)
Frisco/Ft Lauderdale/Indy/Orange Beach/Raleigh/Red Rocks/Toronto/VA Beach(2)
AC/Baltimore/Bangor/Charlotte/Columbus/Detroit/Hershey/Holmdel/Houston/Jaxville/KW/Tinley/WPB(1)
phrankbama
I have found me a home

Post by phrankbama »

According to Radio Margaritaville yesterday there was going to be another tour date announced this morning, could it be the Lube? We can only hope.
The Wino and I know.
goodtime_mo
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Pacing the Cage
Number of Concerts: 45
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojo

Post by goodtime_mo »

phrankbama wrote:According to Radio Margaritaville yesterday there was going to be another tour date announced this morning, could it be the Lube? We can only hope.
Looks like it was Austin, vice The Lube.
VA BEACH (97,16), BRISTOW (98-12, 15, 17,18, 21), NASHVILLE (99, 17), COLUMBIA, MD (00), GREENSBORO (01-02), RALEIGH (03), ANTIOCH, TN (03), CHULA VISTA (04), PHILADELPHIA (05), LAS VEGAS (06-16, 19), HOUSTON (07), ATLANTIC CITY (07), FRISCO, TX (08).
tailgaitingph
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: Manana or CILCIA
Favorite Boat Drink: Yes please

Post by tailgaitingph »

I will not believe that he isn't coming until late fall gets here & there's no show. You lost last year & although there is no bet, you'll loose again this year [smilie=loopyblicking.gif]

KEEP THE FAITH ---- PHINS CROSSED!!!!
You're only as young as you are right now. Make the best of it!

~/)~/)~/) RIP Bubba ~/)~/)~/)
Saltx3
Favorite Buffett Song: Boats to Build
Favorite Boat Drink: MARGARITA, FIREBALL WHISKEY

Post by Saltx3 »

tailgaitingph wrote:
I will not believe that he isn't coming until late fall gets here & there's no show. You lost last year & although there is no bet, you'll loose again this year [smilie=loopyblicking.gif]

:P
SALT, SALT, SALT/Linda
FunkHouse9
At the Bama Breeze

Post by FunkHouse9 »

tailgaitingph wrote:

After this weekend there are no Saturday possibilities left until October 8. I'm hopeful, but I just don't see him playing a weekday here.
MDShark70
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbor
Number of Concerts: 108
Favorite Boat Drink: The one in my hand
Location: Southeast of Disorder, Near the Port of Indecision, so you know, Maryland

Post by MDShark70 »

There are NO talks for this show happening. That's from my sources at JLL. Jimmy's tour won't come off the demand for 105% of the gate and since this show doesn't come close to selling out anymore it's a loser for the venue. That's just the reality. And the screw up with the storm last year aside, the attendance slide really started with the total ban in 2011 and then the limited tailgating in subsequent years. A real shame. The parking lot used to be one of the best on the tour and there were never any issues. Ah well.
It was too much tequila . . . . or not quite enough.