Lulu's to join Margaritaville Destin in Festival District

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

catsway
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: Quietly Making Noise
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: The one in my Hand

Lulu's to join Margaritaville Destin in Festival District

Post by catsway »

From the Northwest Florida Daily News:

Developer pitches festival district

Festival
By KARI C. BARLOW / Daily News
Published: Wednesday, May 7, 2014 at 18:42 PM.

Okaloosa County soon could have a new restaurant and entertainment district just north of Destin Commons on Choctawhatchee Bay.

County commissioners have agreed to consider a request by Destin developer Peter Bos to approve a festival marketplace – similar to Harborwalk Village – that would allow open container drinking.

Bos appeared before the board Tuesday night to lay out his vision for the development.

The so-called Regional Activity Center will be bounded on the north by the bay, on the west by Danny Wuerffel Way, on the south by U.S. Highway 98 and on the east by the Regatta Bay subdivision.

Bos said the festival marketplace would connect Destin Commons northward to the bay, using linear parks and walkways.

“It is our desire to commence as quickly as possible,” he said.

Bos also shared plans to bring Lucy Buffett’s Lulu’s, a popular burger and seafood eatery in Gulf Shores, next to Legendary Marina. Lucy is sister of tropical troubadour Jimmy Buffett, whose Margaritaville restaurant opened on the harbor in February.

Bos declined to elaborate on the restaurant Wednesday but said it’s in the middle of the county permitting process. He said his intent with the festival marketplace is to create a “walk-around friendly environment.”

“This is on the bay, which is a very underutilized asset,” he added. “... It’s beautiful.”

Commissioners noted the county’s required buffer of 1,500 feet between Destin Middle School and the proposed entertainment district’s alcohol sales. They instructed county planners to explore reducing that to about 300 feet.

Commissioner Wayne Harris said the buffer is not a priority for him.

“I grew up in a Catholic school,” he said. “We had a bar beneath the church. The kids are gonna get booze. They’re gonna get booze from home, more than anything else.”

Harris said he would like the board to explore Bos’ proposal further.

“My feelings are let’s go forward,” he said. “See what the pros and cons are ... I think it’s a viable opportunity.”
Sell Your Stuff, Keep the Dog, Live on an Island
Image JB & Sonny Image Cat & Way Image Mr. Utley
dnw
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0

Re: Lulu's to join Margaritaville Destin in Festival District

Post by dnw »

Also heard that she might be opening one in Daytona Beach.

Debbie
jbfinscj
Lester Polyester
Favorite Buffett Song: Floridays, Tin Cup Chalice, Prince of Tides, Tides, Earles Dead
Favorite Boat Drink: Coconut Rum

Post by jbfinscj »

dnw wrote:Also heard that she might be opening one in Daytona Beach.

Noooooo! It will fall into the same catagory as Joe's Crab Shack in Daytona for me. They just don't belong there. Lulu's belongs on the gulf coast only.
I'm back to livin' Floridays
Blue skies and ultra-violet rays

surfpirate
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: African Friend
Number of Concerts: 98

Post by surfpirate »

jbfinscj wrote:

Noooooo! It will fall into the same catagory as Joe's Crab Shack in Daytona for me. They just don't belong there. Lulu's belongs on the gulf coast only.
I still feel that the only Margaritaville Cafe should be the one on Duval Street!

And Disney belongs only in California! Disneyland Yes! No Disneyworld! No EuroDisney!

And dammit .... why does Paris need an Eiffel Tower? That should only be in Las Vegas!
"There are no stupid questions. But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots."
BNCRITTERS.COM | TWITTER | FACEBOOK | SURF SHOP |
jbfinscj
Lester Polyester
Favorite Buffett Song: Floridays, Tin Cup Chalice, Prince of Tides, Tides, Earles Dead
Favorite Boat Drink: Coconut Rum

Post by jbfinscj »

surfpirate wrote:
jbfinscj wrote:

I still feel that the only Margaritaville Cafe should be the one on Duval Street!

And Disney belongs only in California! Disneyland Yes! No Disneyworld! No EuroDisney!

And dammit .... why does Paris need an Eiffel Tower? That should only be in Las Vegas!

I agree with everything but the Disney Cooment...Disney land is inferior to Disney World. :)
I'm back to livin' Floridays
Blue skies and ultra-violet rays

catsway
I Love the Now!

Post by catsway »

The proposed Lulu's is just another reason for everyone to come on down to the Emerald Coast and enjoy the beach, fishing, shopping and entertainment! We love our visitors.
LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

I live in a beach town, I don't fish and I don't have to go on vacation to shop. :lol:
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
Martyritaville
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Martyritaville »

Thanx for the info. :D
A most mysterious calling harbour
So far, but yet, so near
Where I see the day
When my hair's full gray
and I finally...disappear. BUT NOT YET!!

looking4OPH
License to Chill
Favorite Buffett Song: Livingston Saturday Night
Number of Concerts: 8
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita (frozen, salt); drink, repeat

Post by looking4OPH »

Northwest Florida Daily News wrote: Commissioners noted the county’s required buffer of 1,500 feet between Destin Middle School and the proposed entertainment district’s alcohol sales. They instructed county planners to explore reducing that to about 300 feet.

“I grew up in a Catholic school,” he said. “We had a bar beneath the church. The kids are gonna get booze. They’re gonna get booze from home, more than anything else.
Hmm. I'm not one to put rules and restrictions on every little thing, but is Wayne Harris really looking out for his constituents? :o
RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Post by RinglingRingling »

looking4OPH wrote:
Northwest Florida Daily News wrote: Commissioners noted the county’s required buffer of 1,500 feet between Destin Middle School and the proposed entertainment district’s alcohol sales. They instructed county planners to explore reducing that to about 300 feet.

“I grew up in a Catholic school,” he said. “We had a bar beneath the church. The kids are gonna get booze. They’re gonna get booze from home, more than anything else.
Hmm. I'm not one to put rules and restrictions on every little thing, but is Wayne Harris really looking out for his constituents? :o
if your faith is strong, you'll be fine. 300' buffer is good enough. Shoot, you want to test the Baptists? Bar on one side of Shiloh Baptist, strip club on the other. Kids should be home in bed by the time the festivities kick off. Otherwise, their parents need work.
catsway
I Love the Now!

Post by catsway »

looking4OPH wrote:

This public comment by Wayne Harris has garnered a lot of local criticism. We are all for the Lulu's project but skeptical of the whole "Festival District" concept. A map rendering the project was printed in another local paper. From the looks of it, Destin Middle School will be surrounded by restaurants and bars. This has created a bit of an outcry from the parents of children who have or will attend Destin Middle. We hope that Lulu's, which is a separate entity will continue on its permitting path and the Festival District will go away.
RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing

catsway wrote:
looking4OPH wrote:

This public comment by Wayne Harris has garnered a lot of local criticism. We are all for the Lulu's project but skeptical of the whole "Festival District" concept. A map rendering the project was printed in another local paper. From the looks of it, Destin Middle School will be surrounded by restaurants and bars. This has created a bit of an outcry from the parents of children who have or will attend Destin Middle. We hope that Lulu's, which is a separate entity will continue on its permitting path and the Festival District will go away.
I am not understanding the problem here. a Middle School, which is out before Dinner, is threatened by restaurants? how? unless the school district is full of brain-damaged parents, how does this create a problem?
Rabbitz
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: Growing Older
Number of Concerts: 2
Favorite Boat Drink: Rhum and Pineapple

Post by Rabbitz »

RinglingRingling wrote: I am not understanding the problem here. a Middle School, which is out before Dinner, is threatened by restaurants? how? unless the school district is full of brain-damaged parents, how does this create a problem?
Do you not live in the Western World?

Have you not noticed the fact that parents throughout the Western World have ceded their parenting duties to the gubbernmint?

Helicopter parents are often heard saying "der gubbernmint orta do sumfink bout dat"...
Always be yourself
Unless you can be Batman
Then always be Batman
RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing

Rabbitz wrote:
RinglingRingling wrote: I am not understanding the problem here. a Middle School, which is out before Dinner, is threatened by restaurants? how? unless the school district is full of brain-damaged parents, how does this create a problem?
Do you not live in the Western World?

Have you not noticed the fact that parents throughout the Western World have ceded their parenting duties to the gubbernmint?

Helicopter parents are often heard saying "der gubbernmint orta do sumfink bout dat"...
I guess. I must have been in the last generation raised by parents w/ common sense. :s
catsway
I Love the Now!

Post by catsway »

An update from the Northwest Florida Daily News:

Commissioners get earful on developer's plan
Festival District
Published: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 18:02 PM.

Peter Bos’ request for open container drinking between Destin Commons, Turnberry Harbour and Legendary Yacht Club has sparked opposition among locals, but the developer maintains his plans are misunderstood.

Commissioner Wayne Harris said he’s heard from several residents – all of whom are against the idea.

“The gist is ... people are thinking there’s going to be all kinds of ruckus and noise and music and partying,” he said. “They don’t want that.”

Earlier this month, Bos asked county commissioners to pass an ordinance allowing alcoholic beverages to be carried throughout Destin Commons and north to the harbor area on Choctawhatchee Bay.
Commissioners agreed to consider the idea.

In the past week, Bos has met with local residents, making his case and assuring folks that his proposal isn’t to build an additional Destin Commons-like project. It’s to offer open container drinking at Destin Commons – including the new phase that opens in July – and connect it to the bay area using wide sidewalks and linear parks.

Alcohol already is readily available at Destin Commons, Regatta Bay Golf Club and the marina area on the bay, Bos said.

“It’s kind of silly to not allow someone to walk around one area to the next (with a drink),” he added. “... If I have a glass of wine and I live in Regatta Bay and I would like to take a walk down between Destin Commons and walk to the harbor in the evening, wouldn’t that be a nice thing?”

On Choctawhatchee Bay, Bos plans to expand Legendary Yacht Club, bringing in Lucy Buffett’s Lulu’s, a popular burger and seafood restaurant in Gulf Shores.

He said he’s trying to encourage people to leave their cars at home and instead walk to Destin Commons or use golf carts.

But not all of the folks who live near Destin Commons share Bos’ vision.

“I can’t tell you how many emails I’ve gotten,” Okaloosa County Commissioner Kelly Windes said. “I’m hearing from a lot of people, and they’re not happy."

"You’ve got two upscale developments on either side of it,” Windes said of the residents who have complained to him. “... They’re older. They’re reserved. They’re conservative.”
RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing

. “... They’re older. They’re reserved. They’re conservative.”[/quote]

so basically, they have a 4x4 colonically-wedged, and wouldn't allow others to have a good time for fear it would lead to dancing.
catsway
I Love the Now!

Post by catsway »

The saga continues. The open container request is dropped but Lulu's is still in the works.

From the Northwest Florida Daily News:

Developer drops alcohol proposal
Festival Distrct

Published: Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 18:04 PM.

Folks in Destin Commons won’t be strolling around with their favorite pale ale anytime soon.

Developer Peter Bos has withdrawn a request to Okaloosa County for open container drinking between the outdoor shopping center, Turnberry Harbor and Legendary Yacht Club.

“He has back-burnered the open container issue,” said Elliot Kampert, growth management director for Okaloosa County.

Kampert said Bos contacted him early Thursday with the decision.

Bos did not return phone calls from the Daily News on Thursday.

His reversal comes on the heels of strong opposition from residents who live near Destin Commons.

County Commission Chairman Kelly Windes said he wasn’t surprised by Bos’ decision.

“I think the public has made its position known, and he’s going to step back and scale down,” Windes said.

Many residents rejected Bos’ plan because it would have allowed open containers of alcohol next to Destin Middle School, which sits in the middle of the area targeted for the change.

County Commissioners had agreed to consider decreasing the required 1,500-foot buffer between the school and establishments that sell alcohol to about 300 feet.

That didn’t sit well with many parents and other residents.

Destin Middle School Principal Charlie Marello said he fielded countless complaints and urged people to contact their county commissioners.

“As a school, obviously we had concerns,” he said. “Unfortunately, what Destin Middle School and the school district don’t have is a vote.”

Nancy Engle Gordon, who lives in a condo across the street from Destin Middle School doesn’t have young children anymore but shared Marello’s viewpoint.

“I could just picture the scenarios of what could happen,” said Gordon, who voiced her concerns to commissioners. “That just is not an appropriate place to have drinking.”

Although he dropped his bid to offer open container drinking, Bos still intends to enhance commercial activity on Choctawhatchee Bay. He plans to expand Legendary Yacht Club, bringing in Lucy Buffett's Lulu's, a popular restaurant from Gulf Shores that specializes in burgers, seafood and live music.