Ticket Prices

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

Wino you know
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Far Side of the World & Somewhere Over China
Number of Concerts: 105
Favorite Boat Drink: Beaujalais Villages French Burgundy

Re: Ticket Prices

Post by Wino you know »

I love Jimmy Durante's song "Inka Dinka Do."
I think the first time he sang it was at Bisemelte Stream.

And I never saw Wally Dusil eat Spaghetti.
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

I don't think I've ever seen a group of folks ever stand up and defend high ticket prices before. First time for everything.
Bicycle Bill
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris
Number of Concerts: 1
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything with rum and pineapple juice!

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Tiki Torches wrote:I don't think I've ever seen a group of folks ever stand up and defend high ticket prices before. First time for everything.
I don't think they're exactly defending it; most of us are just resigned to it.  If I'm charging >$100/seat and I can still sell out the venues, why should I charge less?  It's called "supply and demand", and it holds true across the entire economy.

Would I like to see cheaper seats — and not just for a Buffett concert? Hell, yes; who wouldn't?  But compare what it costs for other forms of entertainment.  A one-day adult ticket to Disneyland or Disney World is up to $99; tickets for the BoSox home opener against the Milwaukee Brewers start at $135 (and that doesn't include parking); an all-slopes one-day lift ticket at a ski resort like Aspen or Breckenridge crossed the $100 plateau years ago — and don't even ask what it's gonna cost to stay overnight!  You can't hardly even go to a movie in a theater without waving goodbye to at least a ten dollar bill (double that if you want popcorn and a Coke), and don't forget that as of 3/14/14 you're paying a national average of approx $3.80/gallon for gasoline to get to any of the things/places I've mentioned.  Face it — high prices, regardless of what we're talking about, are here and they're not going to go away any time soon.

Don't forget also — the ticket price doesn't all go into Jimmy's pocket. It takes a lot of people, not just the performers themselves, to put on a show ... starting with the people who built the venue and going all the way down the line to the people who sweep up the junk from the floor when the show's all done. They expect to get paid, and paid a fair wage, for their services too .... and remember to factor in inflation as well. So a couple hundred bucks for a choice seat to see a bona fide legend like Jimmy in concert isn't necessarily out of line.
-"BB"-
"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead."
"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way."
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Tiki Torches wrote:I don't think I've ever seen a group of folks ever stand up and defend high ticket prices before. First time for everything.
I don't think they're exactly defending it; most of us are just resigned to it.
Therein lies the problem. If an artist wants to help lower ticket prices it's obvious that they don't want to do so at the expense of shortchanging their employees, the venues, etc. They're doing so to look out for their fans. I don't see that as being "artistic", I see it as common sense and a sign that the artist actually cares. Lower ticket prices and more fans will buy them. Charge upwards of $100 a ticket and less people are going to be encouraged to purchase them.

I've also seen people defend scalping on here but I'm not one of them. I'm all for the artists that do everything they can to keep tickets out of the hands of scalpers. Unfortunately, there's far too many people out there that are only too happy to pay those prices.

Roll over and take it and the problem only worsens. Support artists that are looking out for their fans by trying to keep prices reasonable that also discourage scalping and the situation might actually improve. If you're not fighting to keep prices lower and tickets out of the hands of scalpers then you're part of the problem.
STL Parrot
Gypsies in the palace
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 9
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything with Rum

Post by STL Parrot »

Yes...Kid Rock charged $20 and the "quality" of the fans also suffered. I have never seen so many drunks, staggering around, puking, Pi**ing and fighting as I did at the Kid Rock show. I would rather pay more for a ticket and weed out some of that behavior.
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

STL Parrot wrote:Yes...Kid Rock charged $20 and the "quality" of the fans also suffered. I have never seen so many drunks, staggering around, puking, Pi**ing and fighting as I did at the Kid Rock show. I would rather pay more for a ticket and weed out some of that behavior.
How would that weed out some of that behavior? That seems to describe the vast majority of his fanbase.
DisisDave
I need two more boat drinks
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by DisisDave »

This is what I know... I've seen over 1,000 shows in my life ... Buffett 14 times... Love Jimmy.. this yr is the 1st time I had to pick the Lawn... at Bethel Woods...I can't justify paying that much for seats.... I have a ticket stub for The J. Geils Band in 1982 at the height of "Freeze Frame".. the biggest band in America at the time...$15.50... a stub in the '90's for Eric Clapton/Elton John at Shea Stadium $40... and I could list more...can you imagine what that Clapton/John show would go for now?

I've just had too accept ... I'm fortunate to have seen everyone I wanted too see (for the most part) ... and that I'm not going to pay ridiculous prices for the hobby I love... so I go from 30some shows a year too under 4... and I have a crappy view... and make the most of it...

looking forward too the Hill people at Bethel Woods! :o :D
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

There's also the option of club/theatre sized shows where the prices are much more reasonable. I still go to the occasional big show but the vast majority of live music I see is in clubs. Best deal I had for a big name last year was Robert Plant at the Koka Booth in Cary, NC for $25 with no service charges. That was for lawn seats but I arrived early and grabbed a seat right behind the reserved section (tickets there were $35 plus service charges). I also saw Steve Earle in a club (Lincoln Theatre) in Raleigh, the cost of my ticket was $25 (before service charges). Most club shows can run anywhere from $5 to $15. I definitely prefer that experience to sheds and enormo-domes.
ragtopW
Last Man Standing

Post by ragtopW »

HMMMM where to start?
rising prices allllll around are the cause of ticket prices,
if I had to point a finger at one spot? Insurance plain and simple. when I was learning the biz (and figured out it was not for me) the cost was pretty low (less than one thin dime a ticket) now look at what it has to cost
Insurance for the trucks
for the crew
for the building
for the staff
for the food and beverage staff
for the food and beverage stalls
for the alcohol sales ($$)
for the security staff
for the security staff if they carry fire arms
for Parking (NO it is not covered by the venue contract)
for a special event
for the stage and riggings
I am sure I am missing a few: these are not usually carried in one policy and if they are it us usually $$$$ (some company's don't want to write for the firearms and others don't want to cover alcohol) some Promotions hire a lawyer JUST to oversee the insurance policies and to make sure all is well. this also drives up the prices.

yep the artist is a large cost, but making sure you are covered when (not if) you get hauled to court is a big cost these days
TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

we have John Legend coming to the theater I work at , I figured ticket prices would be sky high , I'm pretty sure he is pretty popular....top ticket price is 96.00 - cheapest is 49.00 , Theater seats about 1800 people. I think that the prices are pretty reasonable for someone like him.
LiveandletLiver
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Favorite Buffett Song: I'll get back to you on this
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Diet Coke (sucks don't it)

Post by LiveandletLiver »

I've been to 50 Buffett concerts over 40 years. I probably have spent an average of $125 a ticket over this time. I usually buy 4 tickets for the entire family or friends. That means I've spent $25K on Buffett tickets over the years.

I don't regret a penny spent.
drunkpirate66
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: Take Another Road
Number of Concerts: 67
Favorite Boat Drink: Beers.

Post by drunkpirate66 »

first world problems . . . :lol:
the hit and run is as good as any religion around this time of year . . .
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie »

drunkpirate66 wrote:first world problems . . . :lol:
"first poster" problems. [smilie=cheeky-grin.gif]
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

FunkHouse9
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Nautical Wheelers
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: Crown Royal & Ginger Ale

Post by FunkHouse9 »

It's worth noting back in 2007 when Garth Brooks played a string of shows in Kansas City. He sold out 9 shows, 140,000 tickets, in under 2 hours. Of course that was driven heavily by the rare opportunity to see someone so cherished in the Country music world. But also because he charged no more than $32.50 per ticket. He could sell out arenas at 5X the price per ticket and make the same money playing half the shows or fewer. But the way he did it, almost anybody could afford it and he added as many shows as he could. Everybody who would want to go, in theory, had a shot at getting tickets, assuming they tried when they went on sale. When I saw him in DC many years ago, one show sold out and they added another and another and another until it didn't sell out anymore. That, mixed with low prices, makes it about the fans and the music in my mind, even if he's laughing all the way to the bank.
Maybe it's because in spite of all the work we do, it's the child in us we really value.
PatsFan
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 6

Post by PatsFan »

I wouldn't say I am defending high ticket prices, but I do acknowledge his right to charge whatever he wants for his shows. His show times come out and my wife and I look at the cost and what we have to spend and decide if it is worth it. Unfortunately, it has not been worth it for the past 4 years. But I don't feel that I am missing out on anything. It is a matter of choices. He has made his and we make ours accordingly.
DisisDave
I need two more boat drinks

Post by DisisDave »

PatsFan wrote:
I wouldn't say I am defending high ticket prices, but I do acknowledge his right to charge whatever he wants for his shows. His show times come out and my wife and I look at the cost and what we have to spend and decide if it is worth it. Unfortunately, it has not been worth it for the past 4 years. But I don't feel that I am missing out on anything. It is a matter of choices. He has made his and we make ours accordingly.
Smartest post I've read! it's all about choices....
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

PatsFan wrote:
Except, like Kid Rock, the Black Crowes, Page & Plant, (and evidently, Garth Brooks), etc. he could make them lower if he wanted to. The fact that he doesn't says a lot. Looking out for his fans is obviously not a priority, making more $$$$ is. Then again, that's been evident for a long time now.
Nighthawk
I gotta go where it's warm
Favorite Buffett Song: Defying Gravity
Number of Concerts: 29
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum with a splash of coke

Post by Nighthawk »

Jimmy has taken so much of my money already, I have had tickets in Que a few times over the last few weeks. Decent seats too...... But honestly, I can't justify spending $160 a ticket, for a show that will probably be phoned in again. I almost walked out of a show years ago, the one tour whatever the heck it was called when he decided it was cool/fun to open up with Willie Nelson's On The Road Again. That was so damn horrible, I lost my buzz I had worked hours on, and thankfully for a few friends with me, I stuck it out, and it was a sub par performance. I have heard some stuff on RM that he has done in the past couple of years.. I heard a "full band" version of Wino and I Know, and I must say I almost cancelled my XM subscription there. I was embarrassed to have that go through my speakers, Jimmy and Mac did that in the acoustic gig in Vegas many years ago, and well.... that's the way it should be left at. I am just scared to pay good money to hear him murder something that he made great years prior.
Did you hear the one about me being a punk?
Did you hear the one about me being a drunk?
Did you hear the one about me losing my nerve?
Or how I'm just another f**** sheep in the herd?
Did you hear the one about me giving a s***?
Cause if I ever did I don't remember it.
SMLCHNG
Favorite Buffett Song: Lovely Cruise/Bubbles Up
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Extra dirty gin martini

Post by SMLCHNG »

If you don't want to pay, what you deem to be, high ticket prices, then don't. Plain and simple. Doesn't matter the artist. If the ticket price is within your entertainment budget? Great, then go. I don't judge how much money anyone thinks they need to earn. Not my business. Does anyone know how much they pay their employees, musicians, staff, etc? Or how much they give to charity? What if someone told you that you make too much money at your job, and that you should take a cut in pay? I wouldn't be very pleased. Your mileage may vary.
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

As I've said before, I support artists who care about their fans. Someone tried to tell me there was something "artistic" about that and for some reason those musicians should be faulted for it. Personally, I don't see it that way. If you go out of your way to show support for your fanbase by looking out for their best interests by lowering ticket costs, fanclub only tickets, fanclub singles, etc., I am going to support you 100%. If you don't and make it clear that you don't have your fans' best interests at heart and are just out to make as much money as you possibly can, chances are, I'm going to spend my money and show my support elsewhere.