R.I.P., Philip Seymour Hoffman

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

drunkpirate66
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: Take Another Road
Number of Concerts: 67
Favorite Boat Drink: Beers.

Re: R.I.P., Philip Seymour Hoffman

Post by drunkpirate66 »

buffettbride wrote:I find it incredibly ironic that what brings us together on BN is devotion to a musician who is largely famous for his song "Margaritaville," which boasts "wasting away again" with the "frozen concoction that helps him hang on."
:lol:

Yeah, the day Buffett writes a song about wasting away with a heroin needle in his arm as his kids grow up without a father is a day I stop being a fan.
the hit and run is as good as any religion around this time of year . . .
pbans
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 9

Post by pbans »

buffettbride wrote:
pbans wrote:
Tiki Torches wrote:Eye opening read on the pains of addiction and the struggle others face here from one of our own.

Booze, Drugs and Rock and Roll.....
Thank you.
I am an addict.
There, but for the grace of God, go I.
And also, I didn't realize you had made a thread about your recovery, but way to go. You're like, my favoritist ever.
Ditto, kiddo.
Paige in Utah
"Don't try to shake it, just nod your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on"
CaptainP
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 40
Favorite Boat Drink: Delicious Trappist Ales

Post by CaptainP »

pbans wrote:I don't know Mr. Hoffman's story, I only know mine.
When I read threads like this, it's like a gut punch.
When I read that Hoffman "deserved to die" because he was an addict, I hear...

"Paige is worth less because she is an addict."
"Paige deserves to die because she is an addict."
"Paige is an entitled piece of sh!t because she became an addict."

No one 'chooses' this hell. No one takes their first pill or first hit or their first drink hoping that their life will someday circle the drain ebbing closer and closer to death. You take your first pill, hit, or drink for so many reasons. To fit in, to stand out....to stop the physical or mental pain....and eventually you take the pill, hit or drink to feel normal. You will die with it and you will die without it. That choice is not always clear.

I have read that Mr. Hoffman had 23 years sober before his relapse. That breaks my heart.
It reminds me that I have to remain ever vigilant against this disease.
I don't know his particular circumstance, but I do know his disease.
I do know that if it were as easy as "making a choice" no one would become an addict or an alcoholic.
If it were sheer willpower, we would like all get sober and stay sober.

I pray for the alcoholic and addict that still suffers every single day.
Paige, good for you. PLEASE stick with it.

I have very strong opinions on this subject because I watched my Sister ruin her life with drugs, and by extension, ruin my Niece's life as well. I keep saying that I am mourning the loss of his talent because I was a fan. But I do have trouble feeling sorry for him, because of what my family lived through. I really hope you continue to be C&S. I love a good success story. I've lost too many people to drug use.
pbans
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by pbans »

CaptainP wrote:
pbans wrote:I don't know Mr. Hoffman's story, I only know mine.
When I read threads like this, it's like a gut punch.
When I read that Hoffman "deserved to die" because he was an addict, I hear...

"Paige is worth less because she is an addict."
"Paige deserves to die because she is an addict."
"Paige is an entitled piece of sh!t because she became an addict."

No one 'chooses' this hell. No one takes their first pill or first hit or their first drink hoping that their life will someday circle the drain ebbing closer and closer to death. You take your first pill, hit, or drink for so many reasons. To fit in, to stand out....to stop the physical or mental pain....and eventually you take the pill, hit or drink to feel normal. You will die with it and you will die without it. That choice is not always clear.

I have read that Mr. Hoffman had 23 years sober before his relapse. That breaks my heart.
It reminds me that I have to remain ever vigilant against this disease.
I don't know his particular circumstance, but I do know his disease.
I do know that if it were as easy as "making a choice" no one would become an addict or an alcoholic.
If it were sheer willpower, we would like all get sober and stay sober.

I pray for the alcoholic and addict that still suffers every single day.
Paige, good for you. PLEASE stick with it.

I have very strong opinions on this subject because I watched my Sister ruin her life with drugs, and by extension, ruin my Niece's life as well. I keep saying that I am mourning the loss of his talent because I was a fan. But I do have trouble feeling sorry for him, because of what my family lived through. I really hope you continue to be C&S. I love a good success story. I've lost too many people to drug use.
One day at a time. I'm sober today, that's a good thing.
I'm sorry for what you're family has had to go through.
I come from a long line of addicts and alcoholics, so I do understand the pain that comes from being on the other side.
Paige in Utah
sistergoldenhair
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: salty piece of land
Number of Concerts: 14
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita on rocks lots of salt

Post by sistergoldenhair »

Paige, we are all in your corner.

Sometimes harsh words are spoken because an event has triggered an emotion from our own experience, especially if the emotion is based in fear. And in the words of Yoda, fear leads to anger, and anger leads to the dark side.

But then someone like you can bring us back to our senses and realize that everyone is carrying a burden. Thank you for putting yourself on the line to help us understand. I already did understand; long history of alcoholism and mental illness in my family.

And I so agree with Captain P. Actors, entertainers, sports stars, are not heroes. They are just famous.

Anyway, blessed be, everyone. Be thankful for the gift of today, and for the people in your life.
I'm just tryin to get by, being quiet and shy, in a world full of pushin and shove
Bicycle Bill
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris
Number of Concerts: 1
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything with rum and pineapple juice!

Post by Bicycle Bill »

drunkpirate66 wrote:
buffettbride wrote:I find it incredibly ironic that what brings us together on BN is devotion to a musician who is largely famous for his song "Margaritaville," which boasts "wasting away again" with the "frozen concoction that helps him hang on."

Yeah, the day Buffett writes a song about wasting away with a heroin needle in his arm as his kids grow up without a father is a day I stop being a fan.
Leaving your kids without a parent because their mommy died drunk in a car accident or their daddy destroyed his liver with booze isn't much of a difference — or an improvement.

Having said that, while some of Jimmy's songs could be taken as an endorsement of the "party 'til you puke" lifestyle I don't think it's entirely what he's all about, any more than "The Great Filling Station Holdup" or "Peanut Butter Conspiracy" means that he's promoting robbery and retail theft.

and to paige — hang in there, girl!
-"BB"-
"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead."
"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way."
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

"When tragedies like these deaths happen to celebrities, they should be a wake-up call for the rest of us. If someone who has everything going for them can be so horribly enslaved to what they know could kill them, imagine what it’s like for the average addict. Addiction is bigger than class, race, religion, or any other factor that one might hope would reduce its captive hold. Succumbing to it isn’t selfish. It’s horribly sad and extremely difficult to prevent, even though it is, in theory, preventable. The way we talk about a celebrity who ODs says a lot about the way we think about people who are struggling around us. It’s time we tried to understand struggles we don’t endure ourselves. It’s called empathy, and we could all use a lot more of it."
A Note About Philip Seymour Hoffman: Addiction Is Not Selfish.

drunkpirate66
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: Take Another Road
Number of Concerts: 67
Favorite Boat Drink: Beers.

Post by drunkpirate66 »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
drunkpirate66 wrote:

Leaving your kids without a parent because their mommy died drunk in a car accident or their daddy destroyed his liver with booze isn't much of a difference — or an improvement.

Having said that, while some of Jimmy's songs could be taken as an endorsement of the "party 'til you puke" lifestyle I don't think it's entirely what he's all about, any more than "The Great Filling Station Holdup" or "Peanut Butter Conspiracy" means that he's promoting robbery and retail theft.

and to paige — hang in there, girl!

-"BB"-

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand . . . . when Jimmy writes a song promoting drunk driving then that will also be the day I stop being a fan. :lol:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand . . . . whoever posted that ridiculous quote about "empathy" and how we should all have more of it - I totally agree!!!! I have a ton for Hoffman's kids and other family members of his. Hoffman should've had some more of it for them as well.
the hit and run is as good as any religion around this time of year . . .
I'm an Altered Boy
Half-baked cookies in the oven

Post by I'm an Altered Boy »

The words sanctimonious, self-righteous, holier than thou come to mind.
pbans
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by pbans »

This is a fairly long read, but probably one of the best summations of addiction that I've read.
http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2013 ... hout-drugs
Paige in Utah
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

pbans wrote:This is a fairly long read, but probably one of the best summations of addiction that I've read.
Thanks for posting. One can only hope that the "sanctimonious, self-righteous, holier than thou" types will take the time not only to read it but to comprehend what he's saying.
ragtopW
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by ragtopW »

Tiki Torches wrote:
pbans wrote:This is a fairly long read, but probably one of the best summations of addiction that I've read.
Thanks for posting. One can only hope that the "sanctimonious, self-righteous, holier than thou" types will take the time not only to read it but to comprehend what he's saying.
I am sad for the Family, no one needs their Dirty laundry aired upon the Death of a loved one
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

ragtopW wrote:
Tiki Torches wrote:
I am sad for the Family, no one needs their Dirty laundry aired upon the Death of a loved one
Easier said than done, especially when the dear departed is a public figure as Hoffman was.
ejr
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by ejr »

I will admit to being a bit stunned by the harsh tone of some of the comments here. I have a dear friend who is 25+ years sober, and she has taught me a lot about addiction and recovery. It is disease, not a weakness. She went through a 12 step program and has never slipped, but tells me that when early in her recovery she learned that the percent who make it clean the first time through treatment is under 5%. That is not a sign of their weakness, but of the disease's strength. She has never slipped, and has never been tempted, but always adds. "But I can't guarantee tomorrow". She has seen too many with years out slip and lose the battle once again.

I am sad that he lost this battle, sad that his family and friends have lost a loved one and sad that we have lost such an extraordinary talent to this insidious disease!
"I finally know what Michael Jordan was talking about when he said he was 'in the zone'"
Jimmy Buffett, 9/4/05, Wrigley Field
sistergoldenhair
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: salty piece of land
Number of Concerts: 14
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita on rocks lots of salt

Post by sistergoldenhair »

ejr wrote:I will admit to being a bit stunned by the harsh tone of some of the comments here. I have a dear friend who is 25+ years sober, and she has taught me a lot about addiction and recovery. It is disease, not a weakness. She went through a 12 step program and has never slipped, but tells me that when early in her recovery she learned that the percent who make it clean the first time through treatment is under 5%. That is not a sign of their weakness, but of the disease's strength. She has never slipped, and has never been tempted, but always adds. "But I can't guarantee tomorrow". She has seen too many with years out slip and lose the battle once again.

I am sad that he lost this battle, sad that his family and friends have lost a loved one and sad that we have lost such an extraordinary talent to this insidious disease!
wEs
I'm just tryin to get by, being quiet and shy, in a world full of pushin and shove