What's Everyone Listening To?

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

VanillaGrl
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: Havana Daydreamin'
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: Guinness - Heaven in a Pint!

Re: What's Everyone Listening To?

Post by VanillaGrl »

Tiki Torches wrote:
VanillaGrl wrote:Image
Thoughts? When I saw him a few weeks ago I thought for sure he'd showcase the new album since it's release was just around the corner but for some odd reason he only played one cut from it ("Precious Little Miracles"). I love me some Todd Snider and really enjoyed the show but in retrospect I wish I'd caught Fountains of Wayne in Carrboro that night instead. I've seen Todd probably a half dozen times or so now but have never seen Fountains of Wayne. Todd was great but the song selection really wasn't that much different from the last time I saw him a couple of years ago.
I'm sure you've been able to listen to this one by now. No secret that I love me some Todd, too, but I don't know...I just wasn't really feelin' it when I listened. I'll give it another go in a few weeks. What did you think?

I did dig this one up, which is one of my favs, and have been listening to it. I know some folks don't care for all the storytelling on it, but I love it and no matter how many times I hear the stories, I don't get tired of them and listen to them like I've never heard them before. Yeah...call me ...goofy that way. :D

KK :wench:
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

sistergoldenhair wrote:
Tiki Torches wrote:
sistergoldenhair wrote:
conched wrote:
sistergoldenhair wrote:Walked the beach today to Van Morrison, all songs on shuffle (iPod :) ) Man, that boy can sing!! Very motivating for a looooong walk.
Back in the day when I was working and could afford more music, I bought all his stuff. I really enjoy his music too.
I get a lot of my music free from the library, copy it into my iTunes. My town library has lots of cd's donated ... it's so fun to browse the racks and take home a stack of cd's to explore ... right now I am searching for Jerry Jeff Walker ... if I can't find his music for free, I will break down and order from Amazon -- I think I want Cowboy Boots and Bathing Suits ... Rock on!
I highly recommend Cowboy Boots and Bathing Suits. One of my favorite latter day Jerry Jeff records and always essential summertime listening. I'm not sure why there are new copies going for as high as $61 on Amazon when it can be ordered directly from Jerry Jeff for $15. Such high prices usually indicate an album is out of print so I have no idea why it's fetching so much.
Thanks for the tip! Have seen a couple of compilation sets on Amazon for not so much $ but have not finished shopping as I am easily distracted :) . I am a baby fan -- I really only know what they play on RM, but I love what I hear from Jerry Jeff so far, and I'm sure I will get more into his music once I start rolling.
While I really love Cowboy Boots and Bathing Suits I wouldn't put it up there with vintage era Jerry Jeff. That's not meant to discourage you from buying the album at all though. There's just a huge difference between that record and say ¡Viva Terlingua! which is Jerry Jeff at the top of his game. I'm sure you're already aware of it but sometimes you can find some pretty good deals on used stuff at Amazon.
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

VanillaGrl wrote:
Tiki Torches wrote:
VanillaGrl wrote:Image
Thoughts? When I saw him a few weeks ago I thought for sure he'd showcase the new album since it's release was just around the corner but for some odd reason he only played one cut from it ("Precious Little Miracles"). I love me some Todd Snider and really enjoyed the show but in retrospect I wish I'd caught Fountains of Wayne in Carrboro that night instead. I've seen Todd probably a half dozen times or so now but have never seen Fountains of Wayne. Todd was great but the song selection really wasn't that much different from the last time I saw him a couple of years ago.
I'm sure you've been able to listen to this one by now. No secret that I love me some Todd, too, but I don't know...I just wasn't really feelin' it when I listened. I'll give it another go in a few weeks. What did you think?

Actually, I haven't heard the album in it's entirety but I have heard "Brenda" on XM as well as Todd and band performing some of the record live on the air during his program on there. I like what I've heard though. From what I understand from fellow Todd fans it's a bit of a grower so it make take some time to get used to.

VanillaGrl wrote:I did dig this one up, which is one of my favs, and have been listening to it. I know some folks don't care for all the storytelling on it, but I love it and no matter how many times I hear the stories, I don't get tired of them and listen to them like I've never heard them before. Yeah...call me ...goofy that way. :D

Todd without the storytelling simply wouldn't be Todd. I love that record as well. It's sort of what brought me back to him after seeing him with John Prine back in the early to mid-00's when he was touring in support of that album. I hadn't strayed completely but it was instrumental in turning me back onto Todd in a really big way. I've rarely missed a show since those days.
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

VanillaGrl

Post by VanillaGrl »

Tiki Torches wrote:Image
I don't know why I haven't listened to more Ryan Adams, as I really like his 'sound' ...what I have listened to, anyway.
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

VanillaGrl wrote:
Tiki Torches wrote:Image
I don't know why I haven't listened to more Ryan Adams, as I really like his 'sound' ...what I have listened to, anyway.
I wore that album out when it was first released but haven't taken it out for a spin in a while. It recently came up in conversation elsewhere so I figured it was time to revisit it.
nycfeat
Changing Channels

Post by nycfeat »

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

New Drivin' n' Cryin' streaming here.

Wino you know
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Far Side of the World & Somewhere Over China
Number of Concerts: 105
Favorite Boat Drink: Beaujalais Villages French Burgundy

Post by Wino you know »

Their 50th anniversary C.D.
Anyone who REMOTELY likes the Beach Boys, trust me,
GET IT, GET IT, GET IT!!!
VanillaGrl

Post by VanillaGrl »

I haven't heard the whole album yet, but I love what I have heard so far. I may be a little biased, however, as I don't think I've heard anything of his that I didn't like. Plus, I just really like the guy. :wench:

By theway, good article
HERE

VanillaGrl

Post by VanillaGrl »

Tiki Torches wrote:
sistergoldenhair wrote:
Tiki Torches wrote:
sistergoldenhair wrote:Also just went back to The Outlaws, and found a great CD with Merle Haggard and George Jones doing each other's songs -- Kick out the Footlights ... I'm a country rock girl at heart, and music transforms my life.
Outlaws the band or the compilation with Willie, Waylon, Jessi and Tompall? I'm guessing the latter, considering the context of your post.
Actually I have both on my iPod, was listening to Waylon & Willie, "If you can touch her at all" last night. Willie Nelson playing in my town this Sunday, will be trying for 1/2 price tix on day of @ box office. But I was referring to "The Outlaws" of Green Grass & High TIdes in my post. But I listen to so many different types of music -- Frampton Comes Alive was blasting as I cleaned the kitchen yesterday. I will admit to being an old codger when it comes to music. I don't like the techno stuff that my kids like. It's not organic enough for me. I like real people playing real instruments!
As do I but I also love modern music, just not the kind of stuff that usually tops the charts. I wanted to direct you to that recent article from Texas Monthly called "The Birth of Outlaw Country" but it seems they're now charging a subscription fee to read it online. If you're able to get your hands on a copy it's a must read for anyone who's a fan of that era of country music. Good luck on the Willie tix!
SGH - That was an awesome article. Was glad when I got that one in the mail and happy that I've kept up with my subscription to TM. :D Tiki Torches is right, it's a must read.

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

VanillaGrl wrote:I haven't heard the whole album yet, but I love what I have heard so far. I may be a little biased, however, as I don't think I've heard anything of his that I didn't like. Plus, I just really like the guy. :wench:

By theway, good article
HERE

Cool to see another fan of Alejandro here. He first came onto my radar back in the 80's with his band Rank n' File and again years later when I started getting into the whole alt.country thing but it wasn't until just recently that I finally saw him in concert when he did headlined a benefit in Raleigh for Chip Robinson (Backsliders).
sistergoldenhair
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: salty piece of land
Number of Concerts: 14
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita on rocks lots of salt

Post by sistergoldenhair »

VanillaGrl wrote:
Tiki Torches wrote:
sistergoldenhair wrote:
Tiki Torches wrote:
sistergoldenhair wrote:Also just went back to The Outlaws, and found a great CD with Merle Haggard and George Jones doing each other's songs -- Kick out the Footlights ... I'm a country rock girl at heart, and music transforms my life.
Outlaws the band or the compilation with Willie, Waylon, Jessi and Tompall? I'm guessing the latter, considering the context of your post.
Actually I have both on my iPod, was listening to Waylon & Willie, "If you can touch her at all" last night. Willie Nelson playing in my town this Sunday, will be trying for 1/2 price tix on day of @ box office. But I was referring to "The Outlaws" of Green Grass & High TIdes in my post. But I listen to so many different types of music -- Frampton Comes Alive was blasting as I cleaned the kitchen yesterday. I will admit to being an old codger when it comes to music. I don't like the techno stuff that my kids like. It's not organic enough for me. I like real people playing real instruments!
As do I but I also love modern music, just not the kind of stuff that usually tops the charts. I wanted to direct you to that recent article from Texas Monthly called "The Birth of Outlaw Country" but it seems they're now charging a subscription fee to read it online. If you're able to get your hands on a copy it's a must read for anyone who's a fan of that era of country music. Good luck on the Willie tix!
SGH - That was an awesome article. Was glad when I got that one in the mail and happy that I've kept up with my subscription to TM. :D Tiki Torches is right, it's a must read.

Thanks for the recommendation, both of you. I will def look into it ... with summer starting I will have lots more free time :) . I just heard a new song from Willie Nelson and Kris Kristofferson -- with Snoop Dog -- "Roll Me Up and Smoke Me When I Die" !!! Fun song with a good message (imho). I have been following the conversation that the two of you have been having here, and I will be looking into some of the music you've been discussing -- seems like you guys will be expanding my horizons ...
I'm just tryin to get by, being quiet and shy, in a world full of pushin and shove
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

sistergoldenhair wrote:
VanillaGrl wrote:
Tiki Torches wrote:
sistergoldenhair wrote:
Tiki Torches wrote:

Thanks for the recommendation, both of you. I will def look into it ... with summer starting I will have lots more free time :) . I just heard a new song from Willie Nelson and Kris Kristofferson -- with Snoop Dog -- "Roll Me Up and Smoke Me When I Die" !!! Fun song with a good message (imho). I have been following the conversation that the two of you have been having here, and I will be looking into some of the music you've been discussing -- seems like you guys will be expanding my horizons ...
Someone I know on another board put this compilation together after being inspired by the Outlaw Country cover story in Texas Monthly:

(Click picture to download)
1. Desperadoes Waiting For a Train (Intro)/Guy Clark
2. Desperadoes Waiting For a Train/Guy Clark
3. Clay Pigeons/Blaze Foley
4. Tecumseh Valley/Townes Van Zandt
5. Backsliders Wine/Michael Martin Murphey
6. Me and Paul/Willie Nelson
7. Mobile Blue/Mickey Newbury
8. Spanish Pipedream/John Prine
9. Black Rose/Billy Joe Shaver
10. Don't You Think This Outlaw Bit's Done Got Out Of Hand/Waylon Jennings
11. Border Lord/Kris Kristofferson
12. Ohoopee River Bottomland/Larry Jon Wilson
13. Leavin' Texas/Jerry Jeff Walker
14. Rock Salt and Nails/Joe Ely
15. Amarillo Highway/Terry Allen
16. Tonight I'm Gonna Go Downtown/The Flatlanders
17. Geraldine and the Honeybee/Willis Alan Ramsey
18. Catch Me in the Morning/Doug Sahm with CCR
19. My Maria/B.W. Stevenson
20. I Still Sing the Old Songs/David Allan Coe
21. Corpus Christi Bay/Robert Earl Keen
22. Mercenary Song/Steve Earle
23. Screw You, We're From Texas/Ray Wylie Hubbard
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

VanillaGrl wrote:By theway, good article HERE
Thanks for the link, read the article last night and really enjoyed it. I liked what he had to say about being categorized by the music press as making just one kind of music as well as his mention of the artists he was listening to while recording the new album. I got turned onto Tinariwen a few years ago thanks to frequent mentions of them by fellow Robert Plant fans (as well as Plant himself). I also read an interview in No Depression with Buddy Miller where he spoke very highly of them. Not long after that they came to UNC to perform so I was sure not to miss them in concert. It's very hypnotic, trance-like stuff. I love it.

flipflopgirl
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 53
Favorite Boat Drink: Z-Man's MANGO THINGIES!!!!!
Location: I have been promoted from John Frinzi's stalker to ROADIE!!!! :)

Post by flipflopgirl »

Latest favorite The Southern Drawl Band!!!! great stuff! :D :D their song Party Trained is HYSTERICAL!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Image "While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats." Mark Twain
VanillaGrl

Post by VanillaGrl »

Tiki Torches wrote: Someone I know on another board put this compilation together after being inspired by the Outlaw Country cover story in Texas Monthly:

(Click picture to download)
1. Desperadoes Waiting For a Train (Intro)/Guy Clark
2. Desperadoes Waiting For a Train/Guy Clark
3. Clay Pigeons/Blaze Foley
4. Tecumseh Valley/Townes Van Zandt
5. Backsliders Wine/Michael Martin Murphey
6. Me and Paul/Willie Nelson
7. Mobile Blue/Mickey Newbury
8. Spanish Pipedream/John Prine
9. Black Rose/Billy Joe Shaver
10. Don't You Think This Outlaw Bit's Done Got Out Of Hand/Waylon Jennings
11. Border Lord/Kris Kristofferson
12. Ohoopee River Bottomland/Larry Jon Wilson
13. Leavin' Texas/Jerry Jeff Walker
14. Rock Salt and Nails/Joe Ely
15. Amarillo Highway/Terry Allen
16. Tonight I'm Gonna Go Downtown/The Flatlanders
17. Geraldine and the Honeybee/Willis Alan Ramsey
18. Catch Me in the Morning/Doug Sahm with CCR
19. My Maria/B.W. Stevenson
20. I Still Sing the Old Songs/David Allan Coe
21. Corpus Christi Bay/Robert Earl Keen
22. Mercenary Song/Steve Earle
23. Screw You, We're From Texas/Ray Wylie Hubbard
Wow! Thanks for sharing that link! Downloaded and listening now. :D
VanillaGrl

Post by VanillaGrl »

Tiki Torches wrote:
VanillaGrl wrote:I haven't heard the whole album yet, but I love what I have heard so far. I may be a little biased, however, as I don't think I've heard anything of his that I didn't like. Plus, I just really like the guy. :wench:

By theway, good article
HERE

Cool to see another fan of Alejandro here. He first came onto my radar back in the 80's with his band Rank n' File and again years later when I started getting into the whole alt.country thing but it wasn't until just recently that I finally saw him in concert when he did headlined a benefit in Raleigh for Chip Robinson (Backsliders).
I had heard of him many years ago, but never really started listening to him until about 8 years ago after seeing Reckless Kelly open up for Big Head Todd and the Monsters. When they played Castanets, they credited Alejandro with the song. I went home that night and searched for it online and well...one Alejandro song led to another..and another. :D

He was on Jimmy Fallon last night, but I missed it. The link was on Alejandro's FB page today, I haven't had a chance to watch yet, but will most likely tomorrow.

http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com ... 2/1406049/
LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

By theway, good article
HERE

I bought that CD after I saw him Sunday afternoon at the BBQ thing in NYC. I've had a lot of running around to do the last few days and it's been in the CD player in the car the whole time, I like it.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
Tequila Revenge
Lester Polyester
Favorite Boat Drink: cubra libre

Post by Tequila Revenge »

Melody Gardot, The Absence

Sarah Watkins, Sun Midnight Sun
got to stop wishin' got to start fishin'....