23rd St Is On My Way

How much do you know about Jimmy? There's probably something you don't know.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

nycparrothead
Changing Channels
Number of Concerts: 0

23rd St Is On My Way

Post by nycparrothead »

This is a bit of a self-serving trivia question, but also a chance for someone to show of their knowledge while satisfying my curiosity.
On MMIM's version of Volcano, Jimmy says (paraphrasing) "I'd rather land in New York City, 23rd Street is on my way".
I'm curious because I work on 23rd St in NYC. Now, I'm sure that Jimmy isn't talking about the VA Hospital where I work, but what is on 23rd St that he might be referring to? Anyone know?
7lords
Party at the End of the World
Number of Concerts: 20

Re: 23rd St Is On My Way

Post by 7lords »

nycparrothead wrote:This is a bit of a self-serving trivia question, but also a chance for someone to show of their knowledge while satisfying my curiosity.
On MMIM's version of Volcano, Jimmy says (paraphrasing) "I'd rather land in New York City, 23rd Street is on my way".
I'm curious because I work on 23rd St in NYC. Now, I'm sure that Jimmy isn't talking about the VA Hospital where I work, but what is on 23rd St that he might be referring to? Anyone know?
Doesn't it have something to do with 9/11? Doing some searching, the Uniformed Firefighter's Association is located on 23rd street - something along those lines maybe?
Is it day?
Air M'Ville Cap'n
Inactive User

Post by Air M'Ville Cap'n »

7lords wrote:
nycparrothead wrote:This is a bit of a self-serving trivia question, but also a chance for someone to show of their knowledge while satisfying my curiosity.
Doesn't it have something to do with 9/11? Doing some searching, the Uniformed Firefighter's Association is located on 23rd street - something along those lines maybe?
Yea I heard that same thing that it had something to do with that. Can't remember where I saw it though
nycparrothead
Changing Channels

Post by nycparrothead »

That could be. The Uniformed Firefighter's Association is a couple blocks down from where I work. I hadn't thought of that. I don't believe there's anything else of interest on this street so that's probably it. Unless of course, he DOES know that I work at the VA Hospital on 23rd St and he's planning on picking me up so we can go get a couple drinks!
Air M'Ville Cap'n
Inactive User

Post by Air M'Ville Cap'n »

nycparrothead wrote:That could be. The Uniformed Firefighter's Association is a couple blocks down from where I work. I hadn't thought of that. I don't believe there's anything else of interest on this street so that's probably it. Unless of course, he DOES know that I work at the VA Hospital on 23rd St and he's planning on picking me up so we can go get a couple drinks!
Thats probably it! :lol: :lol:
HockeyParrotHead
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 20

Post by HockeyParrotHead »

I just assumed it had something to do with the Skyport Marina. Bet Lee knows.
If you're going to do nothing at least do it at the beach!
Caribbean Soul
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: Migration ;-)
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Pick just ONE??!! No can do...

Post by Caribbean Soul »

Where is the firehouse that Jimmy stopped by in 2001 and gave out tickets to his MSG benefit concert located? When I heard those new Volcano lyrics, I kinda assumed that he was referring to that.
In Boston with...
"this caribbean soul I can barely control and Long Island's always here in my heart"
JB - Sag Harbor 11/20/99
CRC Parrothead
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by CRC Parrothead »

Hmmmm... interesting question NYC!
Interesting answers as well...
Maybe later...
Just trying to get by being quiet and shy!!
nycparrothead
Changing Channels

Post by nycparrothead »

Yes.. Those are all very good answers... However... I'm still going with, he's stopping by to pick me up after work for a few drinks! Everyday I stand out front and wait and he hasn't showed yet.... But he will!
barefootpirate
I need two more boat drinks
Favorite Buffett Song: If I have to choose just one - Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Tequila - In a dirty shot glass
Location: Where the weather suits my clothes - and by clothes I mean shorts

Post by barefootpirate »

nycparrothead wrote:Yes.. Those are all very good answers... However... I'm still going with, he's stopping by to pick me up after work for a few drinks! Everyday I stand out front and wait and he hasn't showed yet.... But he will!
Yeah. Right after he drops me off in Morro Bay, he said he was flying out to NY to pick you up. What a coincidence, huh?

:pirate: PHINS ^ :pirate:
If I had it to do all over again, I'd get myself drunk and I'd jump right back in!

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." - Frank Sinatra
Ceol na Mara
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: "Jimmy Dreams"
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Frzn Strwbrry Daq w/real strwbrr & real cream

Post by Ceol na Mara »

You are all probably correct about the firehouse on 23rd St.

Another possibility might also be from the poem "23rd Street Runs into Heaven", by Kenneth Patchen. He also wrote "Journal of Albion Moonlight".
He is the unpopular poet in Jimmy's "Death of an Unpopular Poet".
brettsky
Under My Lone Palm

Post by brettsky »

Air M'Ville Cap'n wrote:
7lords wrote:
Yea I heard that same thing that it had something to do with that. Can't remember where I saw it though
Cant - volcano was out in the early 80's.
Image< --------Brettsky
nycparrothead
Changing Channels

Post by nycparrothead »

brettsky wrote:
Air M'Ville Cap'n wrote:
7lords wrote:
The version of volcano in question was released on MMIM though. The song is not new, the lyric is.
brettsky
Under My Lone Palm

Post by brettsky »

nycparrothead wrote:
brettsky wrote:
Air M'Ville Cap'n wrote:
7lords wrote:
The version of volcano in question was released on MMIM though. The song is not new, the lyric is.
Got Ya !
Image< --------Brettsky
newtond
Favorite Buffett Song: All of them
Number of Concerts: 3

Post by newtond »

It is the skyport. There is a seaplane dock on 23rd street - on the east side of manhattan along the east river