Jimmy needs to stop this from happening

Discuss your good and bad ticket buying experiences.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

jl4592
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: When the Coast is Clear, Gulf Shores Alabama
Number of Concerts: 16
Favorite Boat Drink: Orange Crush from Harborside Cafe OC, MD
Location: Birthplace of JJW http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Jeff_Walker

Jimmy needs to stop this from happening

Post by jl4592 »

TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Re: Jimmy needs to stop this from happening

Post by TommyBahama »

free enterprise....Jimmy can't control that, or can any other act. Only way is if they are selling the tickets ( the artist) then they may have some control of what happens to tickets.....like PH Clubs , when u get tickets through them and sell to others.....you would never be able to get club seats agin!!!
jl4592
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: When the Coast is Clear, Gulf Shores Alabama
Number of Concerts: 16
Favorite Boat Drink: Orange Crush from Harborside Cafe OC, MD
Location: Birthplace of JJW http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Jeff_Walker

Post by jl4592 »

He can if he chooses to. I understand about free enterprise and being able to buy and sell as the market allows. However when TicketBa$tard sells all but a few before the public can purchase then that is BS. The few they have they limit to 4 tickets per person, yet some scalper has 30 for sale on ebay at 140.00 for a 40.00 ticket and they are selling before TicketBa$tard is selling them. Come on!
TommyBahama
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

jl4592 wrote:He can if he chooses to. I understand about free enterprise and being able to buy and sell as the market allows. However when TicketBa$tard sells all but a few before the public can purchase then that is BS. The few they have they limit to 4 tickets per person, yet some scalper has 30 for sale on ebay at 140.00 for a 40.00 ticket and they are selling before TicketBa$tard is selling them. Come on!
knowing a few scalpers in the Hartford area , they get them the same way we do. What they do is send people to all the ticketmasters , pay them to stand in line increasing there lottery chances. I'm sure if we could get extra tickets , we would do the same....or they have a in with someone working at say Macy's here in CT that is pulling the tickets and making a deal with the agencies 9 which would be illegal). Nothing to do with TM.....working at a Theater i know a that they will buy there ads with a allotment of tickets for each shows....where those go , who knows. It's easy to blame TM , but they have no control of where the tickets go.....they are just the easy target due to frustration of getting shut out.....If the were doing something illegal , i'm sure the Government would get involved.
springparrot
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: what time of day is it????
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Mudslide, Strawberry Margarita

Post by springparrot »

The ebay guy might not have the tickets in his hand when he put the auction up. He knew he was going to get tickets but put the auction before he had the tickets purchased.
C-Dawg
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: The list is long...
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: my next one....this one's empty

Post by C-Dawg »

ImageImage

TommyBahama

Post by TommyBahama »

C-Dawg wrote:Image
lol!!!!..Thats funny!!!
SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by SchoolGirlHeart »

Hey, if I had the money to buy season tickets at GW so I'd have a great seat for the show(s) I wanted, there's a fantastically good chance I'd sell the tickets to the other shows to pay for the season ticket. That's all the peeps in those front rows are doing, selling the JB tickets because they're not fans but have season tickets. :shrug:
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally
clearlakeparrot
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: Window On The World
Favorite Boat Drink: depends on the day

Post by clearlakeparrot »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:Hey, if I had the money to buy season tickets at GW so I'd have a great seat for the show(s) I wanted, there's a fantastically good chance I'd sell the tickets to the other shows to pay for the season ticket. That's all the peeps in those front rows are doing, selling the JB tickets because they're not fans but have season tickets. :shrug:
They do that at the Houston Rodeo with the season tickets and use the popular act to pay for the tickets #lucky
Elrod
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 37

Post by Elrod »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:Hey, if I had the money to buy season tickets at GW so I'd have a great seat for the show(s) I wanted, there's a fantastically good chance I'd sell the tickets to the other shows to pay for the season ticket. That's all the peeps in those front rows are doing, selling the JB tickets because they're not fans but have season tickets. :shrug:
You mean there's no criminal conspiracy here?

C'mon, Jen. Tell me there's something sinister here. Image

Have you seen my tinfoil hat?
"Nonsense! I have not yet begun to defile myself." - Doc Holliday
SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

Post by SchoolGirlHeart »

Elrod wrote:

Well, yeah, it's a conspiracy, but it's all about the season ticket seats to Iron Maiden, at Great Woods right after JB.... 8)

You sure you got enough layers of tin foil in that thing? I hear their ray guns have been beefed up.....
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally
ragtopW
Last Man Standing

Post by ragtopW »

jl4592 wrote:He can if he chooses to. I understand about free enterprise and being able to buy and sell as the market allows. However when TicketBa$tard sells all but a few before the public can purchase then that is BS. The few they have they limit to 4 tickets per person, yet some scalper has 30 for sale on ebay at 140.00 for a 40.00 ticket and they are selling before TicketBa$tard is selling them. Come on!

the Ebays are probably on spec. most times they are listed as Tickets and then changed to sections/seats
after they get the tix.. there are sooooooo many ways around the system.. trust me
if you change the system.. you just open up another way to beat it.
<<<< former Scalper...
CTParrothead763
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 18

Post by CTParrothead763 »

ragtopW wrote:

the Ebays are probably on spec. most times they are listed as Tickets and then changed to sections/seats
after they get the tix.. there are sooooooo many ways around the system.. trust me
<<<< former Scalper...

It's been said before; maybe the only way to stop this would be to require that all ticket buyers pick up their tickets, with ID, from will call the day of the concert. But this obviously creates other potential problems for legitimate ticket buyers.
Coconuts
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Something with rum

Post by Coconuts »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:
Elrod wrote:

Well, yeah, it's a conspiracy, but it's all about the season ticket seats to Iron Maiden, at Great Woods right after JB.... 8)

You sure you got enough layers of tin foil in that thing? I hear their ray guns have been beefed up.....
No, no NO! You have to use Velostat, not tinfoil! Tinfoil will not help you. http://www.stopabductions.com/ :lol:

Truly, the best way to stop this- don't buy tickets from scalpers/Ebay. If they lose money, they'll stop.
My ship she has a rudder, but I don’t know where to steer
chippewa
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by chippewa »

CTParrothead763 wrote:
ragtopW wrote:

<<<< former Scalper...

It's been said before; maybe the only way to stop this would be to require that all ticket buyers pick up their tickets, with ID, from will call the day of the concert. But this obviously creates other potential problems for legitimate ticket buyers.
We just did this with a Springsteen concert a couple of weeks ago. Wasn't too sure how it would work, I was worried about lines and getting in late, etc. WORKED LIKE A CHARM! 8) Walked into the arena (all four of my group had to enter together). Instead of scanning a bar code on a ticket, they swiped my credit card on a handheld unit and looked at my ID. Five seconds later, we were all in. I asked, they did say that for this show I could have done that at any gate. That leads me to believe that maybe at some smaller shows I might have had to gone into a specific entrance.
DirtyParrot
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Who's the Blonde Stranger??
Number of Concerts: 1
Favorite Boat Drink: Dark Rummmmmmmm!!

Post by DirtyParrot »

At least this guy is letting the market dictate his price..
Last edited by DirtyParrot on July 23, 2012 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

Maybe Buffett (as well as other performers) should take notice of Louis CK's approach to selling tickets:

Louis C.K. Cuts Middle Man, Sells Tour Tickets Directly

On a similar note, String Cheese Incident got fed up with all the fees Ticketmaster adds on and took their own unique tact to combating them:

A Band Battles Ticketmaster on Sales Fees

Maybe it's just been good fortune with the ticket gods but I've never felt the need to go through sites such as StubHub or buying from scalpers as I've had pretty good luck scoring decent seats to concerts over the years.
MICHIPHIN
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Boat Drinks
Number of Concerts: 48
Favorite Boat Drink: Cold Beer

Post by MICHIPHIN »

TommyBahama wrote:
knowing a few scalpers in the Hartford area , they get them the same way we do. What they do is send people to all the ticketmasters , pay them to stand in line increasing there lottery chances. I'm sure if we could get extra tickets , we would do the same....or they have a in with someone working at say Macy's here in CT that is pulling the tickets and making a deal with the agencies 9 which would be illegal). Nothing to do with TM.....working at a Theater i know a that they will buy there ads with a allotment of tickets for each shows....where those go , who knows. It's easy to blame TM , but they have no control of where the tickets go.....they are just the easy target due to frustration of getting shut out.....If the were doing something illegal , i'm sure the Government would get involved.

And that is exactly what we need........the Government to get involved............Come On' Obama......score me some Buffett Tickets............damn, I have a job and don't qualify!....I must pay for my own, and Johnny Crack Heads that puts round peg in round hole on the production line, but was recently caught dealing crack....
Trying to Reason, With Hurricane Season......
bonefish
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: There's a cowboy in the jungle
Number of Concerts: 53
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum punch in the islands

Post by bonefish »

The artists have about zero to nothing to do with the ticket sales. Their agent/management company negotiates a fee for X number of concerts on a tour. The artist might get a cut of ticket sales but they don't care who buys them, as long as they sell.

While it may really s*** to be Joe Public trying to score sweet seats to the show, it sucks for most of the people. Of course, you could pay whatever the broker is asking and be assured of sweet seats.
Roll with the punches
Play all of his hunches
Make the best of whatever came his way
What he lacked in ambition
He made up with intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
[img][imgsize=][imgsize=][/imgsize]
Seasquared
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by Seasquared »

To my pleasant surprise, either HOB or Buffett or SOMEBODY took measures to thwart the scalpers for the tix to HOB in Boston. My husband works near an actual Ticketmaster retail outlet in Faneuil Hall. So he scooted out of his office at 9:30 yesterday to see if he'd have any luck buying tix in person. When he got there he said the line was crazy long so he opted for plan B - return to his office and try his luck on line. Thank God he did!

He was able to score two sets of tix for the show. When we went back on-line last night to look at the venue configuration for seating we noticed that on the Ticketmaster site it said that this ticket sale was ONLINE only. Not only that, the tix were ALL will-call. (I could be wrong, but I believe this information was not posted to the site earlier in the week when I went to look up info about buying the tix) If you want tix to this show you have to show up the day of the show and pick them up at the venue! This meant that the usual scalper scam of paying homeless people to stand in line and hoard up as many tix as possible was a bust! I'm glad my husband hustled back to the computer to buy tix, but still I wish I could have been at that retail outlet to see the look on the face of all the people standing in line thinking they were getting their payday! :D