Total votes: 47

flipflop444
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes
Number of Concerts: 3
Favorite Boat Drink: margaritas

live or studio

Post by flipflop444 »

if your listening do you prefer live albums or do you pick the studio albums.
tell me why.
Squalls out on the Gulfstream,
Big storms coming soon.
I passed out in my hammock...
FunkHouse9
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Nautical Wheelers
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: Crown Royal & Ginger Ale

Re: live or studio

Post by FunkHouse9 »

I'd choose live, hands down every time. I love the energy you usually get from a live performance. Without the studio tricks, it's a lot more authentic. I am also a huge fan of cover songs. I always love hearing a new take on someone else's song. Because I love live versions of songs and cover songs so much, live versions of covers are an added bonus for me, even when they s***.
Maybe it's because in spite of all the work we do, it's the child in us we really value.
flipflop444
I have found me a home
Number of Concerts: 3
Favorite Boat Drink: margaritas

Post by flipflop444 »

FunkHouse9 wrote:I'd choose live, hands down every time. I love the energy you usually get from a live performance. Without the studio tricks, it's a lot more authentic. I am also a huge fan of cover songs. I always love hearing a new take on someone else's song. Because I love live versions of songs and cover songs so much, live versions of covers are an added bonus for me, even when they s***.

i like the the live stuff better to. i think that it makes it better to hear it the way jimmy really does it.
Squalls out on the Gulfstream,
Big storms coming soon.
I passed out in my hammock...
rmissbrook
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: The one I just heard
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: Spiced Rum & Orange Juice

Post by rmissbrook »

It depends on the song. If he is doing the upbeat ones then it is usually better live. You can hear the audience and feel the energy.

But if he is doing ballads and uses his barroom baritone, then I prefer the studio version. The only times these sound good is when he is in front of a small audience.

Chicago - June 28, 2014 (bringing 2 Buffett virgins!)

Hugs, Kay

Life is just a water ballet...

FunkHouse9
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Nautical Wheelers
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: Crown Royal & Ginger Ale

Post by FunkHouse9 »

flipflop444 wrote:
FunkHouse9 wrote:I'd choose live, hands down every time. I love the energy you usually get from a live performance. Without the studio tricks, it's a lot more authentic. I am also a huge fan of cover songs. I always love hearing a new take on someone else's song. Because I love live versions of songs and cover songs so much, live versions of covers are an added bonus for me, even when they s***.

i like the the live stuff better to. i think that it makes it better to hear it the way jimmy really does it.
I do feel compelled to mention that I am not just referring to Jimmy's music, but live and cover versions across the board.
Maybe it's because in spite of all the work we do, it's the child in us we really value.
SMLCHNG
Favorite Buffett Song: Lovely Cruise/Bubbles Up
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Extra dirty gin martini

Post by SMLCHNG »

Studio for me. And that goes for most artists I like. Generally most of them don't sing well live. But that is MY personal preference. :)
HurricaneSeason
If we weren't all crazy ...
Number of Concerts: 299

Post by HurricaneSeason »

Back in the day, ha ha, around the time Jimmy lost some steam with Riddles and Mango I listened to You Had To Be There more than any other album. I found myself playing that a lot along with Somewhere Over China and One Particular Harbour a lot. When Feeding Frenzy came out I listened to that a bit but it didn't last as long. I enjoyed listening to Floridays and Hot Water and even Off To See The Lizard more than the live album - partially because there aren't any current songs on Feeding Frenzy! Nothing from the Lizard album made it, which was disappointing. The newest song was Work In Dis Bidness. I never did like The City but I did like Jamaica Farewell and some of other album cuts like Honey Do and Fins and even Volcano. Overall I thought it was and still is a weak live album. Since then of course he's released quite a few live albums, with Tuesdays and Hawaii being his best two of the entire bunch I think (Hawaii slightly gets the nod more so because it features songs that were about to be released). Tuesdays could have at least included something from the Beach House album (!!!) but he went for the live hits comp instead. Great version of Pencil Thin on that album and overall it's a really good live album.

I prefer, however, the studio recordings. In general, they are the definitive versions of the idea of the song, which lasts much longer than how something is performed over the years. For example, and I can't place when it started, but these past few years or more I'd much rather listen to the studio versions of Changes In Latitudes and Cheeseburger or even Margaritaville (without all the salt) and a few others etc because of the yelling words instead of singing and obsessive ad-libbing.

And some of the songs he just won't play live so the studio versions are all we get.
SeattleParrotHead
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: Island, 12v Man
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: Mai Tais @ Dukes

Post by SeattleParrotHead »

You're missing the third choice . . live boobies!

Hands down, live! Studio, you get Jimmy the singer . . live, you get Jimmy the ENTERTAINER.
ImageImage

I know the voices in my head aren’t real, but sometimes they have really good ideas…..
SPH
HurricaneSeason
If we weren't all crazy ...
Number of Concerts: 299

Post by HurricaneSeason »

Studio - singing.

Live - SHOUTING.
changingchannels
License to Chill
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by changingchannels »

i gotta agree with some of the above comments. most of the songs he does live i feel are better than the studio versions especially the anguilla album and tuesday, thursdays, saturdays. but at the same time i wish jimmy would concentrate more on singing then resorting to shouting.like someone else said changes in latitudes is a prime example. and after hearing the material from the encores album i feel like he can do better vocal job. thats one of the things i dont like about buffet hotel. it sounds like his voice is all over the place.
"I enjoy this life as a jester
Seems to keep me moving around
Like the wind that blows, tides that flow
I have my ups and downs"
AnInnocentMan
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Number of Concerts: 1

Post by AnInnocentMan »

I've got to go with live. As much as I love the albums, there is an energy that comes across in the live setting that the studio albums can't touch, for me.
phinsinohio
Favorite Buffett Song: breathe in, breathe out, move on
Number of Concerts: 5
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita on the rocks!

Post by phinsinohio »

I would say it all depends on the situation. This coming weekend I plan on drinking quite a few boat drinks and that usually calls for live music. In the car on long drives, I find studio music a little bit more enjoyable.
AmerigoJoe
We are the People our Parents Warned us

Post by AmerigoJoe »

Live, Live, Live - you get nuances of emotion, humor, etc. that you don't get in studio albums. I love the commentary that takes place regarding a particular venue, day of the week, or history of a song.
"I think I might have found me my own kind of paradise"
OriginalTinCup
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbor
Number of Concerts: 30

Post by OriginalTinCup »

Depends on my mood - live, studio, either, or... it's Jimmy.
IrishPirate
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: CILCIA and far to many to mention here
Favorite Boat Drink: margaritas, pina coladas, 7&7

Post by IrishPirate »

Studio most of the time for me!!!! Especially "Margaritaville", no Salt, salt, salt!!!!! :roll:
tigzoe
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: It's My Job
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything with alcohol

Post by tigzoe »

I had heard a story a while ago that related to kids generally downloading certain songs off of albums instead of listening to the whole release and not fully appreciating the story the artist was trying to tell. I do like the energy from live releases, but I usually only listen to the shows that are not the norm (Freddie and the Fishsticks, the two shows form the gulf). There are some songs I can listen to over and over again, but give me Coconut Telegraph start to finish any day of the week.
"That which is around me does not affect my mood; my mood affects that which is around me."
OriginalTinCup
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbor

Post by OriginalTinCup »

In terms of the market for music and how music is being marketed and packaged these days it would seem that we've actuially come full circle in that we - or "the kids nowadays" - are back into buying "singles" - the hits only, thank you.

That use to be buying 45's (2 songs) vs. LPs/albums (33 & 1/3) (10 to 14 songs - usually).

However, now in the digital download age you only get one song for $0.99. No "B" sides and all the artwork and artist info is completely optional, i.e. download it if you feel like it or feel like using disc space for it - or not. With most of the artwork and info available/accessible on-line, the industry itself has made it non-essential to own.

Being an old school music collector I still want the complete package. I'll download my own playlist of "hits" to my iPod.
tigzoe
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: It's My Job
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything with alcohol

Post by tigzoe »

OriginalTinCup wrote:In terms of the market for music and how music is being marketed and packaged these days it would seem that we've actuially come full circle in that we - or "the kids nowadays" - are back into buying "singles" - the hits only, thank you.

That use to be buying 45's (2 songs) vs. LPs/albums (33 & 1/3) (10 to 14 songs - usually).

However, now in the digital download age you only get one song for $0.99. No "B" sides and all the artwork and artist info is completely optional, i.e. download it if you feel like it or feel like using disc space for it - or not. With most of the artwork and info available/accessible on-line, the industry itself has made it non-essential to own.

Being an old school music collector I still want the complete package. I'll download my own playlist of "hits" to my iPod.
Remember the controversy when long boxes were all the rage because it showed more of the artwork, but yet, it was killing trees?! Nothing like a gate fold album, and reading the lyrics as you heard the music. These days I need to get a magnifying glass to read the liner notes. Give me the thrill of listening to an album from start to finish any day of the week.
"That which is around me does not affect my mood; my mood affects that which is around me."