How long have you been a Parrothead?

Polls about Jimmy, his music, etc

Moderator: SMLCHNG

When did you discover Jimmy Buffett and become a Parrothead?

Before 1975
9%
1976 - 1980
23%
1981 - 1985
13%
1986 - 1990
24%
1996 - 2000
16%
2001 - 2005
12%
2006 - Present
2%

Total votes: 181

mikemck
Gypsies in the palace

Re: How long have you been a Parrothead?

Post by mikemck »

First saw Buffett in the late 70's at the Alabama State Fair. I loved the show and bought "Living and Dying in 3/4 Time", but was too young to really appreciate that album. My musical tastes hadn't really matured past KISS, but I kept the album and bought a couple more, mostly because my uncle was a parrothead and I thought he was so cool. Eventually, I did come to really enjoy them.

In the mid eighties, things turned kind of sour for me. I was stuck in a really bad situation I couldn't get out of and I got depressed about the whole thing. Then, one day while I was listening to "Tin Cup Challance" and "Trying to Reason With Hurricane Season", I realized that Buffett songs were like little three minute vacations and were a way to get out from under that dark cloud and back into the sunshine again.

Been a Parrothead ever since.
"Do you realize that if Sonny Corleone had EZ Pass, he'd still be alive today?" - Larry Andersen
sonofabeach
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: La Vie Dansante
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Tecate

Post by sonofabeach »

To me a Jimmy Buffett fan and parrothead are the same thing, especially when considering that "fan" is short for "fanatic".
I remember Margaritaville as a kid and it always reminds me of fishing with my parents in St. Augustine. I began getting into Buffett in 98. First the yellow album, then Feeding Frenzy followed by the box set. At the time I was also bigtime into hip hop, not just a fan but also a struggling producer/dj/rapper in a group. I blew so much money on recording equipment and studio time and eventually got sick of the negative vibes surrounding me.
I decided to quit and was looking to focus more on my marriage and just having fun.
My wife and I went on a cruise and I remember a reggae band on the deck playing Margaritaville. I fell in love with the island music and scenery and as soon as we got back I started buying the rest of Buffett's albums and other islandesque music.
In 99 we got the internet and I searched for Buffett online and found that he was coming to West Palm in December. Up to that point I did not even know he was still performing. I thought he was probably a rich beach bum retired and living on a boat somewhere :lol:
My buddy and I went to the show and it was almost like a religious experience to us, silly as that sounds. The rest is history.
"It's crazy and it's different, but it's really bein' free"
goreds2
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Havana Day Dreamin'
Number of Concerts: 40
Favorite Boat Drink: Beer then shot of Mango Rum

Post by goreds2 »

1984 was my first concert.
I was there when the term "Parrot Head" was coined in 1985 at the Timberwolf Amphitheater in Cincinnati, Ohio.

I was Buffett when Buffett wasn't cool.
ParrotHead67
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Who's The Blonde Stranger
Number of Concerts: 9
Favorite Boat Drink: Haven't had a bad one yet
Location: Woke up dry beneath the African sky, just me and my Swiss Army Knife

Post by ParrotHead67 »

I first got into JB in 1984 when I was listening to American Country Countdown with Bob Kingsley and he played "Who's The Blonde Stranger." It was at #37 or something like that and I loved it.
"I gotta go where it's warm!"
Crazy Navy Flyer
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 100
Favorite Boat Drink: rum

Post by Crazy Navy Flyer »

January 1974
Back to livin' Floridays
TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

The real Answer is 1991 - 1992 , but there was no date slot for then
FLnativ
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 75

Post by FLnativ »

1974, first concert in 1975. U of FL gymnasium :)
goreds2
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Havana Day Dreamin'
Number of Concerts: 40
Favorite Boat Drink: Beer then shot of Mango Rum

Post by goreds2 »

FLnativ wrote:1974, first concert in 1975. U of FL gymnasium :)

You were definitely Buffett when Buffett wasn't cool. 8)
I was there when the term "Parrot Head" was coined in 1985 at the Timberwolf Amphitheater in Cincinnati, Ohio.

I was Buffett when Buffett wasn't cool.
jwil58
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Son Of A Son Of A Sailor
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita

Post by jwil58 »

I went to my first show shortly after my high school graduation in 1977.
ROLL TIDE ROLL
baybound
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Havana Daydreamin'
Number of Concerts: 7

Post by baybound »

I know this is an older thread but since I stumbled upon it I thought Id jump in any maybe revitalize it.

I first discovered Jimmy's music around '74-'75, thanks to my girlfriend at the time. My first concert was July 1977 at Merryweather Post Pavilion, Columbia MD. I was starting my sophomore year of college. If memory serves correctly I paid $6 a ticket, but I do remember it being a great time though.
FinzToTheRight
Favorite Buffett Song: Bank of Bad Habits
Number of Concerts: 16
Favorite Boat Drink: Tequila Sunrise

Post by FinzToTheRight »

Since 1975
atmarler26
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Manana and One Particular Harbor
Number of Concerts: 1

Post by atmarler26 »

Since the very early 2000s. It would have been earlier than that, except I was too young to really fully discover/appreciate his music before then. Around 2003-2004, the radio station The River 105.9 out of Hartford, CT used to play one hour of commercial free music during the 5:00 afternoon drive home slot, and at the end of that hour they would always play one Jimmy Buffett song to close it out, called the "Parrothead Paradise Song of the Day." The station still exists under that name, although as you would imagine their playlist is much more limited these days. Usually it was one of the yellow album songs they would play, but sometimes they would dive deeper into his catalogue as well and even choose a live recording occasionally. Anyway, I would record the song on a cassette tape every day and eventually had a tape with all Buffett songs.

The station also sponsored what they called a "Parrothead Cruise" on the Connecticut River and if you were one of the first three callers when the song played, you would win tickets. I won tickets, and it while it was really just a short boat ride it was a unique experience and I have been a Parrothead ever since.
"The last time we played here in 2004 in September, the Red Sox won the World Series in October. I'm thinking the same thing this year, how 'bout you?" -Jimmy Buffett, 8/9/2018
atmarler26
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Manana and One Particular Harbor
Number of Concerts: 1

Post by atmarler26 »

sonofabeach wrote: June 19, 2009 9:15 amTo me a Jimmy Buffett fan and parrothead are the same thing, especially when considering that "fan" is short for "fanatic"
Agree. I consider anyone who is a diehard fan of his music to be a Parrothead, even if they do not actually engage in all the activities the "Parrothead lifestyle" supposedly entails. I don't even like the taste of most alcoholic beverages and yet I have always loved Buffett's music and the atmosphere at his concerts!
"The last time we played here in 2004 in September, the Red Sox won the World Series in October. I'm thinking the same thing this year, how 'bout you?" -Jimmy Buffett, 8/9/2018