Submit your review or read what other's have said about Jimmy's albums and DVDs

Moderator: SMLCHNG

frognot
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: A Pirate Looks at 40
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: Old Fashioned or an IPA

Post by frognot »

Also had it on 8-track & it intoduced be to a lotta JB that i didn't know. i saw Jimmy open for the Eagles in 77/78 (?) and my roommate bought Changes in Latitude and later Living & Dying. You Had to be There was the one that I bought & started me down the road to ParrotHeadness. If you can't find it on 8-track, get it on CD and play it LOUD!
Hank Hill : Just in case I'm incapacitated for some reason, do you know how to start a man's heart with a downed power line?

Bobby: No.

Hank : Well, there's really no wrong way to do it.
Bamafan
Under My Lone Palm
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by Bamafan »

Have this album on Record and CD! CD cost me$34.99, but it was well worth it! Buffett's best live album and in his prime!
PHat Matt
Changing Channels

Post by PHat Matt »

This set is most definintly,,,, WOW!!!!!!!!!! This is an AWSOME set!!!!!! I sepically loooovvveeeee Morrises Mightmare!!!!!!!!!
and Jimmy theres still so much to be done...
WWW Trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent
rickcrystal
I gotta go where it's warm

Post by rickcrystal »

i love gods own drunk and why dont we get drunk on here. i love cranking this up!!!!! great live cd!!
JustDucky
I Love the Now!

You Had To Be There Not Exactly Live

Post by JustDucky »

True to "live" album fashion, there are overdubs on this record. For one, the vocal on Come Monday is done in a studio. Also there is an overdub on several tracks with acoustic guitar. Grapefruit Juicy-Fruit is a good one to listen to.

That gripe aside, You Had To Be There is a fantastic album and the versions of Havana Daydreamin', Tampico Trauma and Pencil Thin Mustache are excellent. The whole thing is excellent. The talk between tracks is hilarious and I am glad it's preserved on record.
babbitphed
I have found me a home

Post by babbitphed »

My first Buffett. A friend played for me God's Own Drunk at a party way back in 1978. The next day I bought it on cassette. It was a double cassette. Over the years it wore out so I bought another double cassette. Oh I still have the first one,I don't listen to it because it is wore out, but I can't toss it either. It would be like throwing away an old friend that has been with me and helped me through many sad times, happy times, good times and bad times... and all times in between.
Please don't say manana if you don't mean it.
Air M'Ville Cap'n
Inactive User

Post by Air M'Ville Cap'n »

Finally got it a couple weeks ago and I see why most people say it's his best live album. A Pirate Looks at Forty is just awesome on the album
McQueen5150
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Number of Concerts: 8

Post by McQueen5150 »

This is an amazing Live album. Jimmy rocks even with a broken leg.
"He was a fugitve with a pseudo-name, lost his mind in a hurricane......"
parrotpartygod
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: A Pirate Looks @ 40 Sarongs You Know By Heart
Location: Riding Shotgun With The Four Wenches Of The Apocalips

Post by parrotpartygod »

I just LOVE that Jimmy Buffett drunk Caribbean Rock n' Roll music!!!

FINZ UP!!!
:D :P 8) :pirate: 8) :P :D
"He answered that nobody but himself and the Devil knew where it was, and the longest liver should take all." - as quoted by Edward "Blackbeard" Teach

12vmanRick
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: Pacing the Cage
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum

Post by 12vmanRick »

strange but true

We are actually listening to it now

What happened to the old Jimmy talking about cocaine and smoking pot and such

If you want a blast from the past download and listen to the live at Lake Lanier, Ga show in the 80's avaiable on a site mentioned here in another thread.
When they run you out of town make it look like you are leading the parade.
land_shark3
Here We Are

Post by land_shark3 »

12vmanRick wrote:What happened to the old Jimmy talking about cocaine and smoking pot and such
Tough to get corporate backing that way. :wink:
It's your world, I'm just living in it! :pirate:
JustDucky
I Love the Now!

Post by JustDucky »

The absolute best things about this live album is, songwise, 1. Wonder Why We Ever Go Home 2. The Captain And The Kid 3. Havana Daydreamin' 4. Miss You So Badly 5. Tampico Trauma 6. the fantastic version of SOASOASailor and 7. Pencil Thin Mustache.

The rest too but those are my standouts. There is nothing bad about this live album. It's exceptional. It's beyond anything he's done since, feel wise or crowd wise. The crowd on a live record is not the deal - it's the band. And you can hear the crowd plenty on this, I don't understand why some of you say it's not enough. Maybe stop drinking so much or listening to the recent live albums - this is how it should be done.

Perhaps, in hindsite after all these years, the best thing about this live album overall is the musicianship - it's incredible. It's on fire. And the best musician on this album is by far Greg Fingers Taylor. His playing along with Barry Chance's guitar leads is outstanding. Never been better, never been outdone, never been duplicated. Nothing. You Had To Be There is exactly what it says and it's never been better.

The last best thing about this live album is it's a double record and I took the effort to put it into a single jewel double case.
sonofabeach
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: La Vie Dansante
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Tecate

Post by sonofabeach »

over six years since my first review on here and a few things have changed. Back when I first got this I was new to Parrotheadism.
My main issue with this now is the sound quality. As many have said it could us a remastering. "If" that were to ever happen it would be perfect.
Feeding Frenzy is still my fave for live albums, I just love the energy on that one.

JustDucky,
I like your idea about putting the cover into a single jewel double case.
I'm gonna have to do that myself.

*EDIT
Ducky
I moved the "You had To Be there" cds from the big bulky case down to the thin double case today and it works and looks great.
Thanks for the idea~~~^^^^~~~^^^^~~~^^^^~~~
"It's crazy and it's different, but it's really bein' free"
parrotpartygod
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: A Pirate Looks @ 40 Sarongs You Know By Heart
Location: Riding Shotgun With The Four Wenches Of The Apocalips

Post by parrotpartygod »

What I love about this album...er' cd... is the loose, barroom pheel given to all of our parrothead song phavorites, philled with raunchy guitars & colorphul in between in song banter by the HeadParrot himself...

so pull up a barstool phriends "You Had To Be There" indeed

sonofabeach, I agree we need a remaster as does the rest of the early Buffett platter! :D 8) :pirate: 8) :D
"He answered that nobody but himself and the Devil knew where it was, and the longest liver should take all." - as quoted by Edward "Blackbeard" Teach

Tully's Twin
I need two more boat drinks

Post by Tully's Twin »

IF ANYONE HAS THIS ON CD and is willing to burn me a copy PLEASE PM ME
Forget about that rapture we've got naked girls to capture
finz2oob
License to Chill
Favorite Buffett Song: A Pirate Looks At 40
Number of Concerts: 125

Post by finz2oob »

This was the album that got me hooked on Jimmy
way back in my college days of the early 80s. A
roommate had it and I played it to death. Now I listen
to it on a somewhat regular rotation with my newer
JB. I love the musicianship on many of the songs.
The fast, rocking pace of Pencil Thin Mustache, Pirate
Looks at 40, Margaritaville with the original extra verse,
Changes in Latitude, Son of a Sailor, The Captain & The Kid,
the rollicking Dixie Diner and all the storytelling. Yes, it could
use better mastering, but the songs and the stories rock!
JustDucky
I Love the Now!

Post by JustDucky »

I know, another post -

Jimmy's best live album EVER. It's also probably his best release EVER. It's the one Buffett album I listen to the most and have listened to the most. No other release comes close.

Yeah hey man - it's nice to have it in one jewel case eh? Isn't that great? It's such a simple thing but it makes so much more sense. Stupid MCA.
capndar
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Trying to Reason with Hurricane Season
Number of Concerts: 12
Favorite Boat Drink: Pain Killer at Ivan's

Re: You Had to Be There

Post by capndar »

This was recoreded in Atlanta and Florida...several more songs from these concerts didn't make the record...have they ever shown up somewhere? Cheesburger was one of them because it was just being released about that time
I actually am a son of a sailor..... and son of a son of a sailor.....
HurricaneSeason
If we weren't all crazy ...
Number of Concerts: 299

Post by HurricaneSeason »

In the Jimmy Buffett, uh, what is it called? Forum? There's recently been some talk about that very fact, about other songs left off from the SOAS album from the live album, which I think was all that was left.

Would be nice if MCA did some kind of deluxe reissue with a third disc of extra tracks. Or perhaps Mailboat.

Maybe when Jimmy gets old he'll reissue everything remastered etc with bonus tracks. No reason why he can't - he could certainly afford to buy his own back catalog "back" from MCA Records by now!
marknga
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by marknga »

This is the album that got me to become a parrothead. Having graduated from High School in June 1978 I was familar with Jimmy. But wasn't really a fan. That started the fall of 1978 as a Freshman at Georgia Southern in Statesboro, Georgia. One afternoon drinking .10 cent drafts at the "Flame" I heard "Gods Own Drunk" for the first time. And that my friends got me.

What a wonderful time capsule this album/CD is! Jimmy's monologue between songs is a time machine that takes you back to tv shows, movies, culture of the 70's. CLassic.
My favorite Buffett CD.
I passed out and I rallied
And I sprung a few leaks...