The latest rumors and confirmed dates

Moderator: SMLCHNG

MerrickBill
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: Livingston Saturday Night
Number of Concerts: 1

SoCal Concert at Honda Center

Post by MerrickBill »

New venue, same old rules. Looks like Jimmy Buffet will be playing SoCal at a venue that doesn't allow tailgating. Oh, well. Another year in which I'll just stay home.

Bill
dean_siu
Under My Lone Palm
Number of Concerts: 0

Re: SoCal Concert at Honda Center

Post by dean_siu »

When he played there 10-12 years ago, there was definitely tailgating
SoCal Parrothead
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Lone Palm
Number of Concerts: 61
Favorite Boat Drink: Sierra Nevada

Post by SoCal Parrothead »

I have been to the Honda Center for two shows. Both times, the Anaheim PD allowed tailgating. Needless to say, compared to Irvine in the late 90s and early 2000s, many of us were fearful that our reckless/orderly/composed tailgate parties were not going to be allowed in Anaheim. Similar to the early days at Irvine, the Anaheim PD was more than supportive of the festive crowd.

One of the highlights of the 2005 show was when a motorcycle police officer sporting a tropical lei walked up to our RV. I quickly reflected on the last few years at Irvine where the Irvine riot police shut down the parties in the parking lot and told the people to go into the show. As the officer walked up to us, he asked us if we had the "a**hole Song" by Jimmy Buffett. He told me that he had ridden around the parking lot asking if anybody had the song, but nobody had the song. He had not heard the song in years and wanted his police friends to hear it. I told him that I had it. He then asked me if I could play it for his police officers. He jumped on his motorcycle and within minutes we had about 10 officers standing outside of our RV. I turned it up and the police officers sat their listening/grooving to the song. The video of the clip was priceless.

Fins up and it is about time that Buffett returned back to SoCal.
urlcenter
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 6

Post by urlcenter »

SoCal Parrothead wrote: March 7, 2019 9:54 am I have been to the Honda Center for two shows. Both times, the Anaheim PD allowed tailgating. Needless to say, compared to Irvine in the late 90s and early 2000s, many of us were fearful that our reckless/orderly/composed tailgate parties were not going to be allowed in Anaheim. Similar to the early days at Irvine, the Anaheim PD was more than supportive of the festive crowd.

One of the highlights of the 2005 show was when a motorcycle police officer sporting a tropical lei walked up to our RV. I quickly reflected on the last few years at Irvine where the Irvine riot police shut down the parties in the parking lot and told the people to go into the show. As the officer walked up to us, he asked us if we had the "a**hole Song" by Jimmy Buffett. He told me that he had ridden around the parking lot asking if anybody had the song, but nobody had the song. He had not heard the song in years and wanted his police friends to hear it. I told him that I had it. He then asked me if I could play it for his police officers. He jumped on his motorcycle and within minutes we had about 10 officers standing outside of our RV. I turned it up and the police officers sat their listening/grooving to the song. The video of the clip was priceless.

Fins up and it is about time that Buffett returned back to SoCal.
Here is a an interesting footnote to your story:

"The a**hole Song" is not actually a Jimmy Buffett song although the singer does sound like Jimmy, it is in fact sung by Fred August Campbell and The Spur of the Moment Band. The songs was released in 1983 as a b side of a 45:

https://www.discogs.com/artist/957866-F ... t-Campbell

Here is the actual 45 recording:

SoCal Parrothead
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Lone Palm
Number of Concerts: 61
Favorite Boat Drink: Sierra Nevada

Post by SoCal Parrothead »

Thanks for the information. After all of the years, I was told it was Buffett and I just assumed it was Buffett. No wonder Buffett never made reference to it. Those are the consequences of not checking the facts. Thank you. Time to change the artist on my iPod and give the other artist credit.
Salukulady
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 7

Post by Salukulady »

My first Jimmy concert was 2005 at the Honda Center in Anaheim. We tailgated with no problems. Maybe the rules have changed?
daddymention
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: Tryin' to Reason With Hurricane Season & Cowboy in the Jungle
Number of Concerts: 31
Favorite Boat Drink: Pizza Port Carlsbad- Poor Man's IPA & Zombies

Post by daddymention »

I hope the Honda Center eases up on their no tailgating policy for the show. At the final Irvine show the lots didn't open till 4pm, but the Orange County Parrot Head Club had a "secret" tailgate that started around noon in the parking lot of a business park close to the venue and off the main street where we were able to have a 4 hour tailgate before the tailgate. It was quite fun. I'm sure they'll do it again if the need arises. I just wish the Honda Center would issue a statement one way or another so details can be worked out in advance. That would be a nice thing to do for once.
1ST CONCERT: SAT. AUG 6, 1988 - PACIFIC AMPHITHEATRE, COSTA MESA, CA - LOGE 11 SEC 2 ROW U SEAT 42 $20.35
SHOWS: DAVID-31, STEFANIA-27, SHANE-11, EMMA KATE-7
PARROT HEAD SINCE 1984
bobsacamano73
Favorite Buffett Song: Jamaica Mistaica
Number of Concerts: 3
Favorite Boat Drink: Fredrico

Post by bobsacamano73 »

Just posted this in the Pre-concert Gatherings discussion for Honda Center, but they are designating a certain lot (Lot 5) for a pre-concert tailgate. You must buy tickets for either a car or RV, here is the link: https://www.hondacenter.com/events/jimm ... ailgating/