love youtube!

Here you can discuss any other artist including Sunny Jim, Todd Snider, Jerry Jeff Walker, Steve Goodman, James Taylor, Alan Jackson, Bob Marley, Kenny Chesney and others

Moderator: SMLCHNG

conched
Last Man Standing

Re: love youtube!

Post by conched »

I was listening to Jesse Winchester on an excellent radio program from 2007 and he mentioned The Everly Brothers covering Brand New Tennessee Waltz. In this video they also do Stories We Could Tell!!

Love the version of both songs.
Last edited by conched on June 3, 2014 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

It was also good to hear this version of Defying Gravity:

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

Nice finds, thanks for posting.
conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

Just one more: Emmylou doing Jesse's My Songbird.

My Songbird

Songbird in a golden cage
She'd prefer the blue
How I crave the liquor of her song
Poor bird who has done no harm
What harm could she do?
She shall be my prisoner her life long

My songbird wants her freedom
Now don't you think I know?
But I can't find it in myself
To let my songbird go
I just can't let her go

O Lord, when your jeweler's eye
Peers into my soul
O Lord, I am overcome with shame
Take me, Lord, and purify
Heal me with a word
Lord, I beg a gift I dare not claim

My songbird wants her freedom
Now don't you think I know?
But I can't find it in myself
To let my songbird go
I just can't let her go

©1977 Jesse Winchester
From the LP "Nothing But A Breeze"
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

From Bramble Rose, released 12 years ago today.

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

When I was still living on Long Island I saw Tift a few times in small clubs in NYC. She's fantastic. The fact that a dipstick like Justin Bieber is a huge star and Tift is playing those small clubs is one of the things wrong with music today.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

LIPH wrote:When I was still living on Long Island I saw Tift a few times in small clubs in NYC. She's fantastic. The fact that a dipstick like Justin Bieber is a huge star and Tift is playing those small clubs is one of the things wrong with music today.
It's a shame. While I'm not a fan of Bieber, I think there's always been a place for disposable teen idols such as him and there should be. I think it has more to do with how the industry itself has changed. Very little time (if any at all) is devoted to developing new talent by the majority of the labels. Tift's career started off very promising by being signed to Lost Highway (which is now defunct) and being nominated for a Grammy for Tambourine but she's jumped around to a variety labels since then (she's now on NC based Yep Roc). One thing is clear, she is in it for the long haul but chances are, she may never achieve the level of success she deserves, which is true of a whole lot of artists out there. It's a wonder Jason Isbell has broken through as he has, all without the benefit of radio airplay, same for Alabama Shakes. That sort of thing just doesn't seem to happen any more but I'm grateful that it has for these artists.
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

Couple videos from AltarTV of Lydia Loveless performing at the Cathedral of Junk in Austin, TX during SXSW 2014. The first cut is a previously unreleased track that appeared on her Record Store Day single from earlier this year. The second one is a bonus track from her latest album, Somewhere Else.

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

Who says there's no good rock n' roll being made anymore?

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

47 years ago at the Monterey Pop Festival (the Buffalo Springfield performed on June 18):

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

From Caleb Caudle's new one, Paint Another Layer On My Heart. Background vocals by Lydia Loveless.

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

For 23-year-old singer-guitarist Lydia Loveless, gritty, countrified blues-rock is a palette broad enough to include literary drama — complete with fatalistic references to the doomed French poets Paul Verlaine and Arthur Rimbaud — and a plainspoken plea for oral sex. In fact, "Head" and "Verlaine Shot Rimbaud" (both of which appear on this year's terrific Somewhere Else) pop up back-to-back in this subdued but seething three-song Tiny Desk Concert, which Loveless recorded with the help of her full touring band.

Loveless follows "Head" and "Verlaine" with "Mile High," an even newer single (released with a cover of Kesha's "Blind" as a B-side) she'd just put out as a 7" on Record Store Day. Taken together, the three songs — performed, as Loveless notes wryly, with very little audience eye contact — paint a smart, no-nonsense picture of a smart, no-nonsense talent. --STEPHEN THOMPSON

SET LIST
"Head"
"Verlaine Shot Rimbaud"
"Mile High"

CREDITS
Producers: Denise DeBelius, Stephen Thompson; Audio Engineer: Kevin Wait; Videographers: Denise DeBelius, Olivia Merrion; Production Assistant: Alex Schelldorf; photo by Alex Schelldorf/NPR
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

The A & B sides from Ryan Adams' new single. The B side features Johnny Depp on guitar. His self-titled album drops on September 9th.

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

Bobby Bare, Jr. on KEXP:

http://KEXP.ORG presents Bobby Bare Jr. performing live in the KEXP studio. Recorded June 8th, 2014.

Songlist:
Don't Wanna Know
The Heart Bionic
Undefeated
North Of Alabama By Morning

Host: Stevie Zoom
Audio Engineer: Jackson Long
Cameras: Scott Holpainen, Jenna Pool & Christopher Somerville
Editor: Scott Holpainen

http://bobbybarejr.com
http://kexp.org
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

19 years ago today at Soldier Field in Chicago, from the last performance by the Grateful Dead.

weirdo0521
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 50

Post by weirdo0521 »

Tiki Torches wrote:19 years ago today at Soldier Field in Chicago, from the last performance by the Grateful Dead.

I left that show wondering how much longer they would keep playing. They certainly seemed like they were in need of a break.
Dawn Beach, St. Maarten
http://www.LPRFC.com
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

weirdo0521 wrote:
Tiki Torches wrote:19 years ago today at Soldier Field in Chicago, from the last performance by the Grateful Dead.

I left that show wondering how much longer they would keep playing. They certainly seemed like they were in need of a break.
My last show was March 24th in Charlotte, the final evening of a three night stand. Some friends that attended all three said the previous night was best with Bruce Hornsby. I can't say that I suspected anything was up at the time but it seemed like the opening number ("Feel Like A Stranger") went on for a while before someone directed Garcia's attention to the teleprompter, then the vocals kicked in. Even though I've always been a big fan and Workingman's Dead is one of the first albums I ever purchased as a kid in the 70's, I only saw them in concert four times between '89 - '95.
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

Premiere of the title track from Lydia Loveless' Somewhere Else album from USA Today:

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

Southern Culture On the Skids gets the Weird Al parody treatment. This is an original cut from his new album, Mandatory Fun.