love youtube!

Here you can discuss any other artist including Sunny Jim, Todd Snider, Jerry Jeff Walker, Steve Goodman, James Taylor, Alan Jackson, Bob Marley, Kenny Chesney and others

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Re: love youtube!

Post by Tiki Torches »

There's not a lot of old footage of ZZ Top out there (at least that I'm aware of) but there is this which comes from a 1977 New Year's Eve performance at The Summit in Houston.

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

I was poking around on youtube and found this from ZZ Ward's show at Joe's Pub in NYC back in September. The head blocking the view right in the middle of the screen is me. :lol:

what I really mean . . . I wish you were here

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

I haven't seen this since it first aired on ABC's In Concert over 40 years ago.

Martyritaville
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Martyritaville »

Tiki Torches wrote:I haven't seen this since it first aired on ABC's In Concert over 40 years ago.

That boy might be under the influence... :lol:

Good stuff - reminds me that yes, I was alive during that time called the 70s...and yes, it is all pretty hazy...
A most mysterious calling harbour
So far, but yet, so near
Where I see the day
When my hair's full gray
and I finally...disappear. BUT NOT YET!!

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

Loved reliving the memories of my youth by watching that last night but it's a far cry from the Alice I saw on the Theatre of Death tour in 2009. That's nothing against the old Alice, it's just my way of saying how he's still got it and has lost none of his touch. For those that didn't see that tour, he dies no less than four times (all in different ways) and the setlist incorporates songs from throughout his entire catalog into a seamless whole. It's out on DVD now and I couldn't recommend it more highly.

sonofabeach
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: La Vie Dansante
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Tecate

Post by sonofabeach »

Been listening to a lot of Budos Band lately. Just some good funk.
"It's crazy and it's different, but it's really bein' free"

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

Cool to see Budos Band mentioned here. I stumbled upon them completely by accident in 2011 at the annual Hopscotch Music Festival in Raleigh which is the beauty of fests like that.

looking4OPH
License to Chill
Favorite Buffett Song: Livingston Saturday Night
Number of Concerts: 8
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita (frozen, salt); drink, repeat

Post by looking4OPH »

conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

Enjoyed that and reading about School of Rock:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Paul_G ... Rock_Music

I see we have quite a few schools for rock in Texas. [smilie=coolup.gif] [smilie=coolup.gif]

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

The late, great Mr. Steve Goodman. This video is not captioned for the forward impaired.

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

Ray Wylie Hubbard performing "Mother Blues" from last year's Grifter's Hymnal on The Late Show with David Letterman last night.

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

Shinyribs (aka Kevin Russell of the Gourds) on Texas Music Scene, hosted by Ray Benson of Asleep at the Wheel. In the brief intro Kevin describes this song (from his Well After Awhile album) as "Stevie Wonder meets Jerry Reed". I'd say that's about right.

sonofabeach
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: La Vie Dansante
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Tecate

Post by sonofabeach »

"It's crazy and it's different, but it's really bein' free"

rich_big
At the Bama Breeze

Post by rich_big »

This is great, its funny and quite accurate. Shows why dogs are so much better than cats…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbycvPwr1Wg

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

Shovels and Rope performing "Birmingham" on Letterman last night.

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

For Traveling Alone, Tift Merritt's Yep Roc Records label debut, Merritt put together her dream cast to make a record that was real, raw and live off the floor. Recorded in Brooklyn in 8 days, this album was produced by Tucker Martine (The Decemberists, My Morning Jacket), features a guest appearance by Andrew Bird and a band that includes Marc Ribot (Tom Waits), Eric Heywood (Pretenders, Son Volt), John Convertino (Calexico) and longtime collaborator Jay Brown. These songs were written and traveled by Tift Merritt.

Special Guest Moderator: Rita Houston
Hosted by Michael Kauffman
Directed by Lee Stimmel
Audio by John Clemente and David Rosenberg

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

I saw Trixie Whitley (daughter of the late blues great Chris Whitley) at the Local 506 in Chapel Hill last night and was positively blown away by the sheer power of her voice (not to mention her over all talent). If she's coming to your town be sure to check her out. You won't be disappointed, especially if you're a fan of Soul, Blues or R & B. She definitely inherited her father's gift for music.

conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

Lighthouse Song:

1-4-3 Minot Light

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

New BBC Documentary called When Albums Ruled the World:

Between the mid 1960s and the late 1970s, the long-playing record and the albums that graced its grooves changed popular music for ever. For the first time, musicians could escape the confines of the three-minute pop single and express themselves as never before across the expanded artistic canvas of the album. The LP allowed popular music become an art form - from the glorious artwork adorning gatefold sleeves, to the ideas and concepts that bound the songs together, to the unforgettable music itself.

Built on stratospheric sales of albums, these were the years when the music industry exploded to become bigger than Hollywood. From pop to rock, from country to soul, from jazz to punk, all of music embraced what 'the album' could offer. But with the collapse of vinyl sales at the end of the 70s and the arrival of new technologies and formats, the golden era of the album couldn't last forever.

Props and opening music shop shots courtesy of Steve Kelly of Lost Chord Glasgow

Ed's Attic Records

Shop

With contributions from Roger Taylor, Ray Manzarek, Noel Gallagher, Guy Garvey, Nile Rodgers, Grace Slick, Mike Oldfield, Slash and a host of others, this is the story of When Albums Ruled the World.

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

This isn't on YouTube yet but if you click here you can watch the video for "Invisible" from Steve Earle's The Low Highway which is out on April 16th.