For all you KC lovers.....................

Here you can discuss any other artist including Sunny Jim, Todd Snider, Jerry Jeff Walker, Steve Goodman, James Taylor, Alan Jackson, Bob Marley, Kenny Chesney and others

Moderator: SMLCHNG

a1aara
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 75

For all you KC lovers.....................

Post by a1aara »

Nov. 1, 2004: Don't look for Kenny Chesney t take life easy in 2005. he announced Monay he is launching another tour next year, the 2005 Somewhere In The Sun Tour.
Chesney will tour with Gretchen Wilson, Unckle Kracker and Pat Green. Kracker will open the first half of the tour with Green, hugely popular in Texas, opening the second half.
"It was pretty goofy," said Chesney in a press release. "We were down in the islands, trying to just shake the road off us from this year -- and we started hearing that Gretchen Wilson was going on the road with us, that Uncle Kracker was coming back. I'm kinda surprised that when Pat Green showed up in Louisville at the fair and came out onstage with us, people didn't start talking about him, too, just 'cause of waltz across the stage with Kracker."
"I mean, if you look at all those people, you probably wouldn't logically put'em in a room together. And maybe you wouldn't think of them as having that much in common, but they all know how to kick it up a notch and work that energy with a crowd. When you get down to it, that's what it's all about."
There was no word on when the tour would start, how many dates or specific shows.
"There were a bunch of markets we didn't play with Kracker last year," says Chesney, "and I really wanted everybody to have the chance to see what he does, to hear 'When The Sun Goes Down' and just feel his vibe. So, we decided to split it up -- and then bring Pat Green, who is just an awesome performer and supercool guy out for the shows in the sheds, which is actually the way it worked with Kracker last year. Both of those guys get it, so I know the fans wherever they see us, are in for a real treat."
"As for Gretchen Wilson, she's one of those girls who just kicks butt and takes names. She's not afraid to be just who she is, either, which I think is a big deal. Know who you are, then turn up the volume. It's gonna be a great year."
Chesney is in the final stages of recording Be As You Are: Songs From An Old Blue Chair, which drops Jan 25, 2005.
This year, Chesney attracted 1.2 million fans in the Guitars. Tiki Bars & A Whole Lot of Love Tour.
PHBeerman
Here We Are

Post by PHBeerman »

Sweet Pat Green Kicks ass.

Please post link.
ph4ever
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: CILCIA or OPH
Number of Concerts: 299
Favorite Boat Drink: Rhum with my Chum or beer

Post by ph4ever »

I LOVE PAT GREEN!!!!!!

OMG Kenny Chesney with Pat Green!!!!
Well...(said in my best Bubba voice) I've been on sabbatical.
son of a beach
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by son of a beach »

a1aara-
We can always count on you for some Chesney news :lol:
Thanks mon!!
"it's crazy and it's different but it's really bein' free"
a1aara
Hoot!

Post by a1aara »

Just trying to do my part.
Bocanut
Half-baked cookies in the oven

Post by Bocanut »

Pat Green is a lightning rod. The stocky, blond singer-songwriter, who currently calls Austin home, is the most successful country artist in Central Texas in a long, long time. So far, he's sold approximately 200,000 copies of five CDs he's released on his own label. During this run, Green's name has become synonymous with what's being referred to as "Texas Music" and regularly performs in front of thousands of rabid devotees throughout his home state. That said, there's no middle ground when one discusses Pat Green.

His music, his songwriting, his performances, and even his audience have drawn both severe criticism and extraordinary praise. His Universal Records debut, Three Days, came out Tuesday, and the video for the lead track, "Carry On," shot to No. 1 on Country Music Television in one week. Either Green is on the verge of something huge or he'll be just another flash in the pan whose music won't translate to audiences on the other side of the Red River.

Born in San Antonio and raised on a horse farm in Bosqueville, just outside of Waco, Green was the eighth of nine siblings. His father was a stage actor, and musically, at least initially, he was attracted to musicals like The Sound Of Music and My Fair Lady. He also claims that as a youth, he developed a taste for classical composers like Bach and Tchaikovsky. In high school, he discovered singer-songwriters, taking a shine to Robert Earl Keen and Jerry Jeff Walker. Green didn't learn to play guitar until his freshman year at Texas Tech.

"I can't say the motivation was completely musical and for personal growth," he explains with a chuckle. "I saw that guys with guitars had it a lot easier getting dates."

During his years in Lubbock, he began writing songs and playing small gigs wherever he could, sometimes just for free beer and barbecue. He got a bachelor's degree in general studies with the idea that he'd go on to a more specialized master's, but the music already had its hooks in him. He formed a small band and began touring around Texas. This writer recalls seeing him at La Zona Rosa in Austin in 1996, and being amazed at how much he sounded like Keen, both vocally and musically.

Not long afterward, Green became a regular on the dancehall circuit, selling out shows, selling out of CDs, and getting massive amounts of airplay on country radio stations around the state. In the process, he made enough money to buy his own bus, considered a luxury to anyone without major-label support. It also bought him the ability to progress at his own pace artistically, while opening shows for Walker, Keen, and even playing Willie Nelson's Fourth of July Picnic the past two times that it has been held.

Somewhere along the way, however, there was a critical backlash. Writers singled out Green's lack of originality in both performance and songwriting with a viciousness that's rare. Not that Green's audience paid any attention; the phenomenon just kept growing and growing. Recently, he drew nearly 40,000 people to a free show in Bedford, outside of Dallas.

Speaking of phenomena, there's also the one known as "Texas Music." Green, and to a lesser degree Cory Morrow, are the figureheads of this new wave, fancying themselves as following in the steps of Walker, Keen, Nelson, and Guy Clark. "Texas Music" has even become a radio format of sorts, with a weekly chart published out of Houston. Problem is, even though these artists continue multiplying their audience, in a critical sense, they're no Guy Clarks. There are just too many clichéd lyrics about Texas and drinking whiskey set to recycled country-rock riffs done better by someone else.

Keen, for one, has distanced himself from Green & Co. The man who penned the "The Road Goes on Forever" ("and the party never ends") recently referred to Green, Morrow, and their ilk as the "the devil's spawn" in the Houston Press. Calls to Keen's management to discuss this topic were not returned. Chicago singer-songwriter Robbie Fulks, for his part, entered the fray a short while ago by posting a screed against Green on his Web site after witnessing a Pat Green show in Nashville.

"The people who excel at that kind of entertainment, like Jimmy Buffett or Jerry Jeff Walker, were never popular with the press," says Fulks, who returned his call. "Their shows are just a party. I didn't think Green's show was the worst I ever saw, but his lyrics were kind of bad. After writing what I did, I got a letter that had a link to [Green's] Web site and a printout of his lyrics, which demonstrated to me that I hadn't gone far enough in bashing him.

"When I looked at his lyrics, I realized how juvenile they were. Those party kind of singers don't have a monopoly over lack of talent. Ryan Adams is a guy without an ounce of talent in my estimation. Pat Green is the Ryan Adams of party music."

Not everyone hates Green, however. Asleep at the Wheel's Ray Benson, for one, thinks Green's "phenomenal."

"I think he's a great performer," enthuses Benson. "The one thing I've noticed is that he's a charismatic guy onstage. He does a really great show. There's this real Texas chauvinism, and Pat defines it for his generation. I have my share of songs about Texas, but they're old songs. Pat just updates it and does it well."

Radney Foster, who duets with Green on his new album, chimes in on the side of Benson.

"I went to a couple of his shows and realized he's really a tremendous entertainer," says Foster. "He's also such a nice guy. The biggest thing that he has going for him is that he has this unbelievable connection with his audience. He's the same guy as the people in his audience, and that's a compliment in the best sort of way."

Local singer-songwriter Trish Murphy, who wrote "Wrong Side of Town," one of the songs on Green's new album, says she "was honored he chose to record one of my songs and I was thrilled that he asked me to sing it with him."

To his detractors, Green responds on "Who's to Say" from Three Days: "Who's to say, who are you to judge me anyway. This is my road and I'll take the corner as fast as I can go. Who's to say about how I got so lucky anyway."

In person, Green is just as direct.

"I don't appreciate the personal attacks, and I don't appreciate the attacks on the people that come to see me," he says. "The way I feel sometimes is that because I have crowds that come out and get rowdy, people say it's crap, it's not deep. My reaction is, 'Come on, this is what I love to do for a living. I don't come to your house and do that.'

"My faith in God is intact and sound, and I don't wear my religion on my sleeve. I wear my emotions on my sleeve. I do my performance for the people who come out. I have a connection with them, and it's a wonderful thing. As long as it's a fun thing for me to do to make a living and pay my bills and take care of my family and still be a human being, then I'm gonna do it."

At a recent show in Waco, not all the audience was connecting. In fact, many weren't even paying attention. There was a large crowd in front of the stage, all cowboy hats, baseball caps, and women in spaghetti strap tops when it was far too chilly for such a thing. They knew all the songs, were singing along at the top of their lungs, and chanting the now standard "Pat f**** Green!" between tunes. Then there was the overwhelming majority, who were chatting away nonstop and making the quieter songs difficult to hear from the soundboard.

Live shows aside, it's a good bet that Three Days will garner Green backlash from his fans. Due to label pressure, half of the songs on the album, although new recordings, are from his prior releases. Nevertheless, Three Days demonstrates artistic growth for Green. His singing is more confident than it has previously been, his band is as tight as ever, and the recording, mostly produced by Lloyd Maines, sounds great. Unfortunately, Green's songs are the weakest of the batch. Even a duet with Willie Nelson, "Threadbare Gypsy Soul," suffers thanks to Green's forced wordplay.

Still, you have to respect Green for doing things his way. He decided to go with the New York-based Republic label -- home to another local grassroots phenomenon, Bob Schneider -- rather than a Nashville label.

"I felt that if I went with a Nashville label, I wouldn't be able to take part in writing songs that I wanted to sing," says Green. "I heard a lot about the song pitching process and as much as I appreciate the songwriters there, I wanted to do it myself or at least choose who I co-write with. There are good things and bad things about signing with a record label.

"Let's say I go out and sell 10,000 records. It used to be if I sold that much in a year, I could make a damn good living. Now, if I sell that many, I'm not going to see a dime. It's good and bad when you're forced to look at what you do as art and business. I think that's what people get hung up on when they're criticizing or evaluating people's lives and music and how they interact.

"I like being hands-on as much as I can. But I think there's a limit to how much you can do and be effective creatively. I'm pretty satisfied with the way we've done it. I'm the luckiest dude on the planet as far as I know."
a1aara
Hoot!

Post by a1aara »

Great article.

I enjoyed Pats "3 Days" release but, I didn't enjoy with the last one. I know he has a new one out, but I haven't heard anything form it
ph4ever
Last Man Standing

Post by ph4ever »

Hal - could you post that link?? Did you add the bolding or was it already there??

a1aara - Pat Green gets tons of airplay in the DFW market. If you are truly intersted in hearing stuff from his new cd then either try his website or http://www.995thewolf.com they play him quite often...
Jahfin
Inactive User

Post by Jahfin »

Thanks for the article as I'm not so fond of a lot of the current crop of Texas singer-songwriters myself. I'll take Austin's Gourds or the Old 97s from Dallas (or the Damnations or the Derailers) over Morrow or Green any day. It's also cool to see how Robert Earl Keen has distanced himself from them. He remains one of my favorites and I admire him all the more for separating himself from the pack.
DeactiveCarib
I Love the Now!

Post by DeactiveCarib »

I remember Pat Green had that huge hit "Wave on Wave", but other than that i hadn't heard much of him. He seems Okay, but i haven't heard enough of him to make a concrete opinion. I'll have to listen to him more before i say anything.
a1aara
Hoot!

Post by a1aara »

Ph4ever,

Thanks for the info. I will listen. Thanks again.
Jahfin
Inactive User

Post by Jahfin »

Here's a link to the article if anyone's interested. It appears it ran in the Austin Chronicle back in October of 2001.

http://www.austinchronicle.com/issues/d ... ture2.html
ph4ever
Last Man Standing

Post by ph4ever »

Jahfin wrote:Here's a link to the article if anyone's interested. It appears it ran in the Austin Chronicle back in October of 2001.

http://www.austinchronicle.com/issues/d ... ture2.html

I thought it might be an old one cause I know KC hasn't been in Waco in a while.

Now IMHO a lot can happen in 3 years. I may be wrong but couldn't any musician's talant, appeal and style make change in 3 years. I didn't like KC's earlier stuff and started liking him about 3 years ago in fact.
Pencil Thin (inactive)
Inactive User

Post by Pencil Thin (inactive) »

ph4ever wrote:I LOVE PAT GREEN!!!!!!

I have to agree with you on Pat Green :D I had a chance to hang out with the guys backstage, after a show this Summer (friend of mine is a brother-in-law with one of the band members). What a cool bunch of guys. They all were down to earth and just enjoy what they are doing...and appreciate what they have. Their latest CD, Lucky Ones is one definitely worth picking up :D Wave On Wave and Three Days are pretty good too.
ph4ever
Last Man Standing

Post by ph4ever »

Pencil Thin wrote:
ph4ever wrote:I LOVE PAT GREEN!!!!!!

I have to agree with you on Pat Green :D I had a chance to hang out with the guys backstage, after a show this Summer (friend of mine is a brother-in-law with one of the band members). What a cool bunch of guys. They all were down to earth and just enjoy what they are doing...and appreciate what they have. Their latest CD, Lucky Ones is one definitely worth picking up :D Wave On Wave and Three Days are pretty good too.

Oh man!!! That's too cool!!!! He's playing in Dallas next week and for some reason that I can't remember I didn't get tickets :-? :-? He was in the local radio's studio's not too long ago with his guitar just singing and talking. He's got a really great sense of humor.
ragtopW
Last Man Standing

Post by ragtopW »

still like John Deere green.. and :oops: :oops: :oops:

I thought the thread said kFc and got like hungry :) :roll:
Bocanut
Half-baked cookies in the oven

Post by Bocanut »

I meet Pat Green at Ole Miss back in 2000. Real nice guy but his lyrics just aren't that in depth!