09/04/2005 - Chicago IL

Archive of past shows with comments. Visit the Set List Database Archive for more shows
parrothappy
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Migration, Biloxi, Door Number 3, City of New Orleans
Number of Concerts: 40
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita, of course

Post by parrothappy »

Southern_Cross,
There are portables on the field in left and right field on either side of the stage. They are made a little more private by tall stockade type fencing. The rush to the men's restrooms within the regular ball park during intermission was pretty much a crush of humanity. It all worked out though. Heck, the bars around Wrigley were pretty much the same before the show if you wanted to get a drink or something to eat. My wife and I invited a couple (who we found out were from Cedar Rapids) to join us at our four stool table and had a great time trading "Jimmy" stories. I wore my 1988 "Hot Water" tour shirt and my wife wore my 1986 "Floridays" shirt. We got quite a few comments from the Parrotheads about the vintage shirts. We head back today with our two adult kids. They haven't seen Jimmy since the days when he used to play Summerfest in Milwaukee.

Parrothappy

P.S. We avoided the crush of Parrotheads traveling from downtown on the "el" by driving to Howard Street in Evanston on the Red Line (north of the city) and "reverse" commuting to the show. There is a huge parking structure immediately adjacent to the Howard Street stop and parking costs $2.00 for 24 hours. You can pass out after the show and get back there tomorrow morning and it won't cost you any more!!!! lol
ejr
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by ejr »

I parked at Howard Street too, though that is because I live in the north burbs.

And yes, there were portables on the field. Part of the problem with Wrigley for the rest of the park, is that the only other bathrooms are on the ground level (with the exception of some for the skyboxes and two handicapped access ones on the top level) so everyone else converges on those ground level bathrooms and the lines get long, as they do on game days as well.

So will today's final encore be from the left field bleachers? (and that would still be a huge surprise for lots of folks who are not tuned into Buffettnews or the other sites-I am always amazed at how many parrotheads don't know about all the websites).
"I finally know what Michael Jordan was talking about when he said he was 'in the zone'"
Jimmy Buffett, 9/4/05, Wrigley Field
conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

From a superb Chicago Sun Times article by Dave Hoekstra

Add this one to the list: for the evening's final encore Buffett and his fine guitarist MacMcAnally adjourned to the top row in the southern corner of the right field bleachers. This is where Buffett and the late Goodman sat in the mid-1970s when they hung out at Wrigley. Buffett was performing at the Quiet Knight near the ballpark and Goodman was in residence at the Earl of Old Town. Buffett and McAnally delivered a tender version of Goodman's train classic "City of New Orleans" as classic pre-Hurricane Katrina images of the Crescent City flashed on the big screens. The majestic Wrigley Field scoreboard was bathed in a calming blue. I saw people cry. Goodman's mother and brother were in the audience.

Leave it to Buffett to have the moment created to honor Steve Goodman and offer his tribute to the New Orleans victims all wrapped up in one trip to the outfield seats. I would have loved to have seen the scenes chosen in the video to go with City Of New Orleans. (Way to go, Steve! harbourgirl posted about your video talents.)
gingerbreadman
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by gingerbreadman »

ejr wrote:So will today's final encore be from the left field bleachers? (and that would still be a huge surprise for lots of folks who are not tuned into Buffettnews or the other sites-I am always amazed at how many parrotheads don't know about all the websites).
That reminds me of the guy next to us who said after they played Scarlet
Begonias, "can you believe they played the Grateful Dead for an
encore?", and I said, aaahh, well, yes! I can believe that!
Hey Snake, we need more wine!

A Balding Fan
Inactive User

Post by A Balding Fan »

gingerbreadman wrote:
ejr wrote:So will today's final encore be from the left field bleachers? (and that would still be a huge surprise for lots of folks who are not tuned into Buffettnews or the other sites-I am always amazed at how many parrotheads don't know about all the websites).
That reminds me of the guy next to us who said after they played Scarlet
Begonias, "can you believe they played the Grateful Dead for an
encore?", and I said, aaahh, well, yes! I can believe that!

Well you also gotta remember--I highly doubt Jimmy does- but the Grateful Dead played thier LAST SHOWS in Chicago a little over 10 years ago.
habourgirl
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Habour
Favorite Boat Drink: rum

Post by habourgirl »

conched wrote:From a superb Chicago Sun Times article by Dave Hoekstra

Add this one to the list: for the evening's final encore Buffett and his fine guitarist MacMcAnally adjourned to the top row in the southern corner of the right field bleachers. This is where Buffett and the late Goodman sat in the mid-1970s when they hung out at Wrigley. Buffett was performing at the Quiet Knight near the ballpark and Goodman was in residence at the Earl of Old Town. Buffett and McAnally delivered a tender version of Goodman's train classic "City of New Orleans" as classic pre-Hurricane Katrina images of the Crescent City flashed on the big screens. The majestic Wrigley Field scoreboard was bathed in a calming blue. I saw people cry. Goodman's mother and brother were in the audience.

Leave it to Buffett to have the moment created to honor Steve Goodman and offer his tribute to the New Orleans victims all wrapped up in one trip to the outfield seats. I would have loved to have seen the scenes chosen in the video to go with City Of New Orleans. (Way to go, Steve! harbourgirl posted about your video talents.)
Psstt.... his name's Stan....
conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

I knew that! Way to go Stan the Man!!
habourgirl
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Habour
Favorite Boat Drink: rum

Post by habourgirl »

conched wrote:I knew that! Way to go Stan the Man!!
hahahaha.... he sent me an e-mail saying he was slaving away for the show in the hotel room.... now we know what he was working so diligently on...

looking forward to hearing the show this afternoon!!!! only an hour and half till showtime!!!