Mardi Gras?

This is a travelogue area for places to visit, stay, eat, etc...

Moderator: SMLCHNG

ragtopW
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0

Mardi Gras?

Post by ragtopW »

ever gone? at least two BNers will be in NOLA for part of the Season 8) 8)
Santa will Represent from 02/27/2014 to 03/03/2014 not sure when my Cohort will be arriving
we will be moving out to the Sticks for the third and fourth (Fat Tuesday)
this is by design. first NOLA gets Dicey on Monday and Tuesday of Mardi Gras
Second it will be a hoot to see/ Experience an old school Cajun Mardi Gras.

planning on hitting at least a couple of parades, not going to plan on many places to eat
due to the number of people that will be in the French Quarter. I plan on most meals being eat where you can
I will have a list of places to hit. but will be OK if we eat elsewhere due to volume of customers

We have a hotel near the Quarter.

I will bring beads, (if you have seen me at a tailgate you have seen just a few of the ones I buy)
my Question is......... how many per day? I don't want to take too many, ( the last two years in Boise have Stunk)
I don't want to bring too many home. BUT I don't want to run out at noon the first day :P

any Ideas?
rich_big
At the Bama Breeze

Re: Mardi Gras?

Post by rich_big »

I have never been to Mardi Gras, but as a New Orleans Jazzfest veteran, I can tell you I have never brought nor bought beads, nor have I ever been lacking them.

You can pick them up right on the street, lying on the sidewalk and all over. Some of the women there will do quite sinful acts for them.

Don’t worry about beads.

There is a TON of good food to eat there. the music is incredible, magical, fantastic. I also suggest going on a swamp cruise while there. I have a ton of photos from several swamp cruises and they are always fun. Let me know if you want to see some. But don’t miss out on a swamp cruise.
clearlakeparrot
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: Window On The World
Favorite Boat Drink: depends on the day

Post by clearlakeparrot »

I amjust the co-pilot :)
ragtopW wrote:ever gone? at least two BNers will be in NOLA for part of the Season 8) 8)
Santa will Represent from 02/27/2014 to 03/03/2014 not sure when my Cohort will be arriving

planning on hitting at least a couple of parades, not going to plan on many places to eat
due to the number of people that will be in the French Quarter. I plan on most meals being eat where you can
I will have a list of places to hit. but will be OK if we eat elsewhere due to volume of customers

I will bring beads, (if you have seen me at a tailgate you have seen just a few of the ones I buy)
my Question is......... how many per day? I don't want to take too many, ( the last two years in Boise have Stunk)
I don't want to bring too many home. BUT I don't want to run out at noon the first day :P

any Ideas?
ragtopW
Last Man Standing

Post by ragtopW »

clearlakeparrot wrote:I amjust the co-pilot :)
ragtopW wrote:ever gone? at least two BNers will be in NOLA for part of the Season 8) 8)

any Ideas?
I wasn't going to name any names . I thought you may want the chance to deny any involvement at a later date :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Dude this is going to be Epic!!!!!!!!
citcat
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate Looks at 40
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: margarita

Post by citcat »

OMG !!! You're going to Mardi Gras !!! :o :D
We went to Mardi Gras "Lite" several years ago (that's the week before actual Mardi Gras). We got to see parades and had the experience without the body-to-body crowd. Look out for pickpockets. And the food is one of the best things about Nawlins !! If you can get to the Rock & Bowl, do it !
*hint* : Make a big sign with the name of the crewe of the parade that you are attending, and you will get MAJOR beads/treats thrown at you !! (they don't know that they don't know you !) :lol: :lol: :lol: Worked for me ! 8)
Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege.
ragtopW
Last Man Standing

Post by ragtopW »

citcat wrote:OMG !!! You're going to Mardi Gras !!! :o :D
We went to Mardi Gras "Lite" several years ago (that's the week before actual Mardi Gras). We got to see parades and had the experience without the body-to-body crowd. Look out for pickpockets. And the food is one of the best things about Nawlins !! If you can get to the Rock & Bowl, do it !
*hint* : Make a big sign with the name of the crewe of the parade that you are attending, and you will get MAJOR beads/treats thrown at you !! (they don't know that they don't know you !) :lol: :lol: :lol: Worked for me ! 8)
We got to go to the Rock & Bowl a few years back for Jazzfest. I think it was Sonny Landreth we saw

if I can I will try the Sign thing. thanks :)
ragtopW
Last Man Standing

Post by ragtopW »

We got to go to the Rock & Bowl a few years back for Jazzfest. I think it was Sonny Landreth we saw

if I can I will try the Sign thing. thanks :)
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie »

We went that week the year the Saints won the Super Bowl. It was extra crazy everywhere. [smilie=sillyjester.gif]

Didn't do the parade/beads thing but hit a ton of really great bars and restaurants. There's a New Orleans thread on BN somewhere with recommendations from lots of BNers for everything from breakfast through dinner to music and tours and stuff.
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

ragtopW
Last Man Standing

Post by ragtopW »

lime rickie wrote:
We went that week the year the Saints won the Super Bowl. It was extra crazy everywhere. [smilie=sillyjester.gif]

Didn't do the parade/beads thing but hit a ton of really great bars and restaurants. There's a New Orleans thread on BN somewhere with recommendations from lots of BNers for everything from breakfast through dinner to music and tours and stuff.
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie »

ragtopW wrote:
lime rickie wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=70315&start=0&hilit=cafe+monde
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

pinacolada lover
License to Chill
Favorite Buffett Song: Too many to list!
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Don't Stop The Carnival

Post by pinacolada lover »

I wish I was going! Have a great time! Mardi Gras is on my bucket list. :D
ragtopW
Last Man Standing

Post by ragtopW »

pinacolada lover wrote:I wish I was going! Have a great time! Mardi Gras is on my bucket list. :D
Mine too. I think it's better to go now than later. I understand that as I get older I will slow down and not be able to
"enjoy" all Mardi Gras allows. so OFF I go this year..

at least everyone is telling me; that I will slow down when I get older. funny they never mention anything about growing up 8) 8) 8) 8)
ragtopW
Last Man Standing

Post by ragtopW »

60 days!!!!!!! and I hit the Airport!!!!
ragtopW
Last Man Standing

Post by ragtopW »

50 days until the BIG day!!!

and I settled on 50 beads a day in case you were wondering :)
citcat
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate Looks at 40
Favorite Boat Drink: margarita

Post by citcat »

ragtopW wrote:50 days until the BIG day!!!

....so that final math total comes out to 100 boobies, right ? 8) :lol:
Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege.
Saltx3
Favorite Buffett Song: Boats to Build
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: MARGARITA, FIREBALL WHISKEY

Post by Saltx3 »

We (PaParrot & I) went to Mardi Gras in 1986 (probably before alot of BNers were born :P ). We went to one of the parades and watch from close enough to get beads but far enough to not get flattened by the crowds. It is a crazy place in the French Quarter. Store front to store front people with loads of places to duck into for drinks. Just remember that most places will not allow restroom use unless you are a paying customer and the restroom lines are very, very long so give yourself plenty of time :wink:

Enjoy yourself and stay safe.
SALT, SALT, SALT/Linda
ragtopW
Last Man Standing

Post by ragtopW »

citcat wrote:
ragtopW wrote:50 days until the BIG day!!!

....so that final math total comes out to 100 boobies, right ? 8) :lol:

a Day!!! 8) 8) 8)
Wildh2oskier
If we weren't all crazy ...
Favorite Buffett Song: There is no way to pick just one.
Favorite Boat Drink: Something with whiskey in it
Location: Central Alabama, center of the state middle of nowhere

Post by Wildh2oskier »

With the 'keet being a cheerleader @ the University of South Alabama I'll be doing the Mobile Mardi Gras this year since she is supposed to be in a couple of parades.
Here are the only tips I can give you about your trip.
1) Don't buy the beads. Buying beads marks you instantly as a virgin. It won't take you long to figger this one out for yourself.
2) Pickpocketing is expected. Plan and prepare accordingly.
3)
ragtopW
Last Man Standing

Post by ragtopW »

Wildh2oskier wrote:With the 'keet being a cheerleader @ the University of South Alabama I'll be doing the Mobile Mardi Gras this year since she is supposed to be in a couple of parades.
1) Don't buy the beads. Buying beads marks you instantly as a virgin. It won't take you long to figger this one out for yourself.
3)
thanks!!
ragtopW
Last Man Standing

Post by ragtopW »

Wildh2oskier wrote:With the 'keet being a cheerleader @ the University of South Alabama I'll be doing the Mobile Mardi Gras this year since she is supposed to be in a couple of parades.
3)
thanks!!