FL Keys / Key West

This is a travelogue area for places to visit, stay, eat, etc...

Moderator: SMLCHNG

SMLCHNG
Favorite Buffett Song: Lovely Cruise/Bubbles Up
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Extra dirty gin martini

Re: FL Keys / Key West

Post by SMLCHNG »

I'll post this over and over.. JUST in case. Do not leave anything valuable in your car in the parking lot of Alabama Jacks. When we were there on May 5th, they broke into our rental while we were having conch fritters and a beer. Took almost everything. Both of E's suitcases so he had NOTHING, both of our backpacks with iPods, Kindles, laptops, cameras.. etc. We've been there so many times, and love the place. Sheriff had the 'feeling' it was possibly a worker. :(

They knew what they were doing.. a quick crack on the door handle, got the lock and bam. :evil:

catsway
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: Quietly Making Noise
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: The one in my Hand

Post by catsway »

[quote="SMLCHNG"]I'll post this over and over.. JUST in case. Do not leave anything valuable in your car in the parking lot of Alabama Jacks. When we were there on May 5th, they broke into our rental while we were having conch fritters and a beer. Took almost everything. Both of E's suitcases so he had NOTHING, both of our backpacks with iPods, Kindles, laptops, cameras.. etc. We've been there so many times, and love the place. Sheriff had the 'feeling' it was possibly a worker. :(

They knew what they were doing.. a quick crack on the door handle, got the lock and bam. :evil:

Now that's a darn shame. So sorry for you both. We did the same route last year, down Card Sound Road, stopped at 'Bama Jack's for conch and beer and a t-shirt. I would hate for something like that to happen to anyone. Thank you for the tip. We're stopping at No Name Pub this year for lunch on the way down.
Sell Your Stuff, Keep the Dog, Live on an Island
Image JB & Sonny Image Cat & Way Image Mr. Utley
dnw
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by dnw »

catsway wrote:
SMLCHNG wrote:I'll post this over and over.. JUST in case. Do not leave anything valuable in your car in the parking lot of Alabama Jacks. When we were there on May 5th, they broke into our rental while we were having conch fritters and a beer. Took almost everything. Both of E's suitcases so he had NOTHING, both of our backpacks with iPods, Kindles, laptops, cameras.. etc. We've been there so many times, and love the place. Sheriff had the 'feeling' it was possibly a worker. :(

Now that's a darn shame. So sorry for you both. We did the same route last year, down Card Sound Road, stopped at 'Bama Jack's for conch and beer and a t-shirt. I would hate for something like that to happen to anyone. Thank you for the tip. We're stopping at No Name Pub this year for lunch on the way down.

Yum, No Name pizza. :D

Debbie
maid memories
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: Savannah Fare You Well
Number of Concerts: 19

Post by maid memories »

Last night I was sitting at Smokin' Tuna watching Thom Shepherd when I pulled up Facebook to message Christine. Lo and behold there was a picture of Thom at the Tuna taken from the stage that had just been uploaded by Loren. I was finally able to meet him.
I knew this girl made of memories and phrases, who lived her whole life in both chapters and stages.
Danced 'til the dawn, wished all her worries away.

She's a long way from a West Nashville grand ballroom gown.
Dr.Corona
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Apocalypso..no..Semi-True Story..no.Creola..no..REGGAE ACCIDENT!!
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: As if you HAD to ask!!

Post by Dr.Corona »

maid memories wrote:Last night I was sitting at Smokin' Tuna watching Thom Shepherd when I pulled up Facebook to message Christine. Lo and behold there was a picture of Thom at the Tuna taken from the stage that had just been uploaded by Loren. I was finally able to meet him.
"Timing.....is everything"!
8)
Corona by day, Corona by night, any old time is just alright!Image
catsway
I Love the Now!

Post by catsway »

maid memories wrote:
flipflopgirl wrote:Wayne i don't know of one website.......each bar has it's own, Jack or Lesley could give you better info on the local musicians that play on a regular basis. Sloppy Joe's has Matt Quinton and Brian Roberts and the Smokin Tuna and Green Parrot always have good music!!! :D
Check out http://6toejam.com/. They try to condense all the calendars from all the venues into one.
Thank you Lesley for the link. We gotta have out live local music! We will PM you, Jack and Ted before we head down.
Bfan53again
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: "I Have Found Me a Home"
Number of Concerts: 8
Favorite Boat Drink: Dark 'n Stormy

Post by Bfan53again »

dnw wrote:
catsway wrote:
SMLCHNG wrote:I'll post this over and over.. JUST in case. Do not leave anything valuable in your car in the parking lot of Alabama Jacks. When we were there on May 5th, they broke into our rental while we were having conch fritters and a beer. Took almost everything. Both of E's suitcases so he had NOTHING, both of our backpacks with iPods, Kindles, laptops, cameras.. etc. We've been there so many times, and love the place. Sheriff had the 'feeling' it was possibly a worker. :(

I'll second that!!!!! [smilie=coolup.gif]
On most days I say: "Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been...."
Sometimes I can only say: "There is no dumbass vaccine......"

If something or someone gets you down, just remember: "In a hundred years it all won’t matter.........."
catsway
I Love the Now!

Post by catsway »

Bfan53again wrote:
dnw wrote:
catsway wrote:

I'll second that!!!!! [smilie=coolup.gif]
I'm thinking grouper sandwich. Had one a few years back. I can still remember how good it was.

Bfan, we have been reading your KW posts. We are using it as our guide this go around. Thanks for all the good info.
Bfan53again
Under My Lone Palm

Post by Bfan53again »

catsway wrote:Bfan, we have been reading your KW posts. We are using it as our guide this go around. Thanks for all the good info.
Hey catsway, So glad I can help! :pirate:

Like you, I've also used posts from other BNers in the past as my wife & I plan our Keys vacations. It's nice to have up-to-date information about places to eat/drink. stay, and visit. For such a little island there is always lots going on...... :roll:

Have a great trip yourself and be sure to post your experiences, too, OK?

If something or someone gets you down, just remember: "In a hundred years it all won’t matter.........."
maid memories
Hoot!

Post by maid memories »

catsway wrote:
maid memories wrote:
flipflopgirl wrote:Wayne i don't know of one website.......each bar has it's own, Jack or Lesley could give you better info on the local musicians that play on a regular basis. Sloppy Joe's has Matt Quinton and Brian Roberts and the Smokin Tuna and Green Parrot always have good music!!! :D
Check out http://6toejam.com/. They try to condense all the calendars from all the venues into one.
Thank you Lesley for the link. We gotta have out live local music! We will PM you, Jack and Ted before we head down.
Yay! It's always nice to have BNers down here.
I knew this girl made of memories and phrases, who lived her whole life in both chapters and stages.

piratenurse
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbor (today, anyway)
Favorite Boat Drink: Pharmade!!!!!!!

Post by piratenurse »

Had a great trip to Key West. Loved the Key West Express, at least if it's not bumpy. Drag Queen Bingo was a highlight. Made all the stops, found Shrimpboat Sound studio. Got to see Thom Shepherd, Cap'n Josh, Loren Davidson, Howard Livingston. Being there during Meet Me In The Keys was a surprise bonus.
I'm a Finhead Guy Finatic!
Real Parrotheads Ride the Pole!
I Triple Dog Dare Ya!
ImageImageImage
Bfan53again
Under My Lone Palm

Post by Bfan53again »

piratenurse wrote:Had a great trip to Key West. Loved the Key West Express, at least if it's not bumpy. Drag Queen Bingo was a highlight. Made all the stops, found Shrimpboat Sound studio. Got to see Thom Shepherd, Cap'n Josh, Loren Davidson, Howard Livingston. Being there during Meet Me In The Keys was a surprise bonus.
So glad you had a great trip to KW, but, then again, how could you not?????? :o :roll: :wink: :pirate:

catsway
I Love the Now!

Post by catsway »

We are less than two weeks from our annual Key West migration. We have been doing a lot of research and keep coming up with some new, fun things to do. For instance, on our way down we are staying on Sanibel Island for three nights. We found a great little cruise from Captiva Island to Cabbage Key, home to one of the many locations that claim to be the inspiration for "Cheeseburger In Paradise". From the Cabbage Key web site:

"Your narrated cruise to Cabbage Key will take just over an hour, leaving you just over two hours to purchase your lunch and enjoy the scenery. It is said that Jimmy Buffet was inspired to write the song "Cheeseburger in Paradise" while visiting this rustic fisherman's pub type setting."

Cabbage Key is also used as a scene from one of Tim Dorsey's books where Serge and Coleman cross paths with Randy Wayne White, the world's worst selling author according to Serge. :)

Another new, fun thing to do is attend a play at the Red Barn Theater on Duval. We made reservations for the July 19th performance of "You've Got Hate Mail", a very funny play where our very own BNer, Popcorn Jack, plays a role. Jack, watch out, Bob got us front row!

We are still making our list of to-do's. Our goal is twenty bars in four nights. Doable?
Crazy Navy Flyer
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 100
Favorite Boat Drink: rum

Post by Crazy Navy Flyer »

Wayne, when you're on Sanibel you might check out the Bubble Room, an interesting restaurant, not sure it's open in the off season.
Cabbage Key is great to visit, I've been there many times back in the 80's.
The Edison home in Ft Myers is pretty cool if you're into museums.

20 bars in 4 nights? Yeah, that's doable. We used to call it the Duval crawl.
Back to livin' Floridays
Bfan53again
Under My Lone Palm

Post by Bfan53again »

I sat in a sailing bar in Tortola, BVI many years ago and was told "This is where Jimmy Buffett got his inspiration for his song Cheeseburger in Paradise"....... :o

I guess only Jimmy knows for sure!!!!! :pirate: :wink:

Crazy Navy Flyer
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 100
Favorite Boat Drink: rum

Post by Crazy Navy Flyer »

Bfan53again wrote:I sat in a sailing bar in Tortola, BVI many years ago and was told "This is where Jimmy Buffett got his inspiration for his song Cheeseburger in Paradise"....... :o

I was in a bar/eatery on Virgin Gorda many years ago and heard the same thing.
Back to livin' Floridays
Bfan53again
Under My Lone Palm

Post by Bfan53again »

Crazy Navy Flyer wrote:
Bfan53again wrote:I sat in a sailing bar in Tortola, BVI many years ago and was told "This is where Jimmy Buffett got his inspiration for his song Cheeseburger in Paradise"....... :o

Well, at least we now have it narrowed down to a place in the BVI, right???? :roll: :wink: :pirate:

Bfan53again
Under My Lone Palm

Post by Bfan53again »

Bfan53again wrote:
Crazy Navy Flyer wrote:

Well, at least we now have it narrowed down to a place in the BVI, right???? :roll: :wink: :pirate:
Whoops, we'd better be careful, this is the Key West thread and it looks like we may be getting "off topic" and subject to discipline for being bad....... [smilie=hello.gif]

tigzoe
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: It's My Job
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything with alcohol

Post by tigzoe »

"That which is around me does not affect my mood; my mood affects that which is around me."
maid memories
Hoot!

Post by maid memories »

Crazy Navy Flyer wrote:

The same thing used to be said about a place called Rotier's in Nashville. I've always leaned more toward the BVI school of thought as I've heard or read Jimmy stating that it was an island and they wanted cheeseburgers, but they noticed boxes behind the place indicating the burgers were made of horse meat.