FL Keys / Key West

This is a travelogue area for places to visit, stay, eat, etc...

Moderator: SMLCHNG

ContinentalDrifterIII
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Number of Concerts: 28
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita-Rocks-Salt

Re: FL Keys / Key West

Post by ContinentalDrifterIII »

I can't wait to try the Ropa Vieja at El Sibony with some sangria! Perhaps I will try a taste test and see whos is better, El Sibony or Jose's. What do you all think of El Meson De Pepe?
YOU CAN'T DRINK ALL DAY IF YOU DON'T START IN THE MORNING

JoNeS BeAcH 8/21/14
UpstateNYPH
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by UpstateNYPH »

ContinentalDrifterIII wrote:I can't wait to try the Ropa Vieja at El Sibony with some sangria! Perhaps I will try a taste test and see whos is better, El Sibony or Jose's. What do you all think of El Meson De Pepe?
I walked by all those restaurants but didnt have enough time! Guess I need to go back 8)
~Mike

Want this badge?</div>
Bfan53again
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: "I Have Found Me a Home"
Number of Concerts: 8
Favorite Boat Drink: Dark 'n Stormy

Post by Bfan53again »

UpstateNYPH wrote:
ContinentalDrifterIII wrote:I can't wait to try the Ropa Vieja at El Sibony with some sangria! Perhaps I will try a taste test and see whos is better, El Sibony or Jose's. What do you all think of El Meson De Pepe?
I walked by all those restaurants but didnt have enough time! Guess I need to go back 8)
Funny how many great restaurants there are on that "smallest of islands"......... :pirate:
On most days I say: "Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been...."
Sometimes I can only say: "There is no dumbass vaccine......"

If something or someone gets you down, just remember: "In a hundred years it all won’t matter.........."
Carolinadreamin'
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 64
Favorite Boat Drink: Painkiller

Post by Carolinadreamin' »

We've eaten there about 4 times and it's our hands down favorite! :D
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Pinot Noir in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO"
ContinentalDrifterIII

8 more days! I can't wait! Lil Salty and I will be heading directly to the Schooner Wharf Bar upon arrival! I can almost taste that ice cold Kalik!

JoNeS BeAcH 8/21/14
Bfan53again
Under My Lone Palm

Post by Bfan53again »

ContinentalDrifterIII wrote:8 more days! I can't wait! Lil Salty and I will be heading directly to the Schooner Wharf Bar upon arrival! I can almost taste that ice cold Kalik!
Having a trip like this to look forward to makes so much of what we face each day seem just a bit more tolerable......... :pirate:

If something or someone gets you down, just remember: "In a hundred years it all won’t matter.........."
lilsalty
License to Chill
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: Mic's Nilla Killa...SDB, BVI

Post by lilsalty »

Bfan53again wrote:
ContinentalDrifterIII wrote:8 more days! I can't wait! Lil Salty and I will be heading directly to the Schooner Wharf Bar upon arrival! I can almost taste that ice cold Kalik!
Having a trip like this to look forward to makes so much of what we face each day seem just a bit more tolerable......... :pirate:
Absolutely! This time next week, I'll be packing up & ready to go...we head out nice & early too...5:45 flight! Wooooo hooooo! While CDIII will be drinking his Kaliks, I will be enjoying a cold Corona with peel & eat shrimp...mmmm :wench:
"Clive!! The cooler!!" -- CDIII aboard the Shamwari, BVI.
ContinentalDrifterIII

Bfan53again wrote:

You are so right! A week from now I will be PWI (packing while intoxicated)

JoNeS BeAcH 8/21/14
Bfan53again
Under My Lone Palm

Post by Bfan53again »

ContinentalDrifterIII wrote:
Bfan53again wrote:

You are so right! A week from now I will be PWI (packing while intoxicated)
Ah, that Key West Mindset takes hold early, doesn't it?????? :pirate:

Just don't get too "mellow" and miss your flight...... :o :roll: :D

lilsalty
License to Chill

Post by lilsalty »

Ah, CDIII will not miss the flight...I will be a most effective travel drill sergeant in the morning, prodding him to hurry up and get ready: the Conch Republic awaits!!! :D 4:15 a.m. pick up...I'll be arising about 3:30 a.m. :wench:
Landshark Girl
Overkill
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbour
Number of Concerts: 34
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita on the rocks with a salted rim

Post by Landshark Girl »

I just got back from Key West on Monday. I had a really great time and can't wait to go back again. I decided that it definitely should be a yearly thing. Maybe someday I'll even make it to MOTM.

So, if you're going to Key West, here is where you should go:

Where to eat-
Blue Heaven (Our favorite restaurant of the whole trip! It was so good we went there twice in one day.)
Pepe's (Great for breakfast!)
Louie's Backyard Upper Deck (We tried just going to Louie's but didn't want to wait so we went to the Upper Deck and loved it...they serve really great tappas.)
Schooner Wharf (Good food, good service, good atmosphere...what more could you want?)

Where to stay-
Lighthouse Court (really nice room and a great pool)

Things to do during the day-
Dolphin Watch (they took us to see dolphins and then snorkling...very cool!)
"Trails and Tales of Key West" tour (got a lot of Jimmy history, which I enjoyed)
The Hemmingway House (especially if you like cats...I'll go there every time I visit Key West)

Things to do at night-
Sunset at Mallory Square (go see Dominique, the Cat Man...seriously, just do it)
Chart Room Bar, Sloppy Joe's, Hogsbreath, Captain Tony's...all great places to go.

I can't wait to go back and discover more great places. This trip was so much better than the last two beause I knew where to go this time...so, thank you to all of you who recommended some of these places!
Image Image Image
Bfan53again
Under My Lone Palm

Post by Bfan53again »

Landshark Girl wrote:I just got back from Key West on Monday. I had a really great time and can't wait to go back again. I decided that it definitely should be a yearly thing. Maybe someday I'll even make it to MOTM.

So, if you're going to Key West, here is where you should go:

Where to eat-
Blue Heaven (Our favorite restaurant of the whole trip! It was so good we went there twice in one day.)
Pepe's (Great for breakfast!)
Louie's Backyard Upper Deck (We tried just going to Louie's but didn't want to wait so we went to the Upper Deck and loved it...they serve really great tappas.)
Schooner Wharf (Good food, good service, good atmosphere...what more could you want?)

Where to stay-
Lighthouse Court (really nice room and a great pool)

Things to do during the day-
Dolphin Watch (they took us to see dolphins and then snorkling...very cool!)
"Trails and Tales of Key West" tour (got a lot of Jimmy history, which I enjoyed)
The Hemmingway House (especially if you like cats...I'll go there every time I visit Key West)

Things to do at night-
Sunset at Mallory Square (go see Dominique, the Cat Man...seriously, just do it)
Chart Room Bar, Sloppy Joe's, Hogsbreath, Captain Tony's...all great places to go.

I can't wait to go back and discover more great places. This trip was so much better than the last two beause I knew where to go this time...so, thank you to all of you who recommended some of these places!
Thanks for the update! So glad you had a great time (but then again, how could you not..... :o ). Your "favorites" mirror those of my wife and me, too. And, like you, we would have never had such a wonderful trip without the fine travel tips found here at BN! [smilie=coolup.gif]

zippity
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Come Monday

Post by zippity »

We flew into Miami a couple of years ago and made the drive through the Keys - stayed in Islamorada a couple of nights and then 3 or 4 in Key West. The drive was amazing. I highly recommend it - you really have to see it. Amazing what they could build on such little land. We stayed at the Ocean Breeze Inn in Key West - very affordable, clean and good location. You can read lots of review on www.tripadvisor.com. I would recommend taking a sunset cruise. I can't remember who we went with, but the cost was very reasonable and they supply beer and wine. Hubby thought he'd get a beer or two - needless to say he was amazed. They kept filling up your glass. It was fun and romantic. I really can't think of anyplace we ate that we were disappointed. Got to go to the Blue Heaven and have the chickens walking around under your table. Be sure to catch the sunset every night!!!
CindaBee
Favorite Buffett Song: I Wish Lunch Could Last Forever
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum and Seltzer with lime

Post by CindaBee »

Just returned yesterday from 8 days on the island. Ready to return already! This was our 10th year at the same B&B, great place on William Street, now feels like a second home.

Some new things to do....
Keys Piano Bar at 1114 Duval--nice way to end the evening.
New Brazilian Restaurant on Caroline, behind the Bull. A little pricey, but great menu.

Alonzo's Oyster Bar now has 2 for 1 Happy Hour from 4-7 with half-priced appetizers. Made a great dinner.

After exhaustive research, I found that the least expensive raw oysters on the island is STILL Half-Shell. They oysters were big and juicy and $10.95 a dozen!!!

The statement made on one of these posts that Dante's is a locals' bar is not exactly true. Checked with many of my local friends and they weren't impressed at all.

Louie's Afterdeck is still the best place for cocktails on the island and the restaurant (Backyard) is still too expensive. hehehe.

As far as the other stuff, it's still ALL GOOD. And the waterfront condo project is in the toilet!!! YAY, the Schooner Wharf is still safe. :wench:
lilsalty
License to Chill

Post by lilsalty »

Glad you had fun! Our first stop tomorrow is Schooner Wharf! I'm packing up right now; gotta get up at 3:30 a.m. for our 5:45 a.m. flight tomorrow! Wooo hoo!! Alonzo's sounds like a great deal; we haven't tried that place yet. I can't wait for Half Shell oysters too! Key West Sunset ale and a dozen oysters...mmmm :wench:
CindaBee

Post by CindaBee »

lilsalty wrote:Glad you had fun! Our first stop tomorrow is Schooner Wharf! I'm packing up right now; gotta get up at 3:30 a.m. for our 5:45 a.m. flight tomorrow! Wooo hoo!! Alonzo's sounds like a great deal; we haven't tried that place yet. I can't wait for Half Shell oysters too! Key West Sunset ale and a dozen oysters...mmmm :wench:
Have a WONDERFUL time. Truly, if you get a chance, go to Keys. They have live piano music from 5-midnight. Very laid-back, more NYC atmosphere than Key West, but we had a great time after a lovely dinner at Blue Heaven. Enjoy--tell Michael McCloud hello for us. Also, you should check our Rick's and see when Adrian is playing. He used to be at Irish Kevin's but moved across the street to Rick's. If you stop in, tell him Doug and Cinda say hello. :wench:
ContinentalDrifterIII

Well, its finally here. I am so excited! Lil Salty and I are packed and ready to change our latitude. I just finished sipping a rum and coke and will settle in for a short rest before our early flight. In a few hours I will be in one of my favorite places. Thank you for all your tips and recommendations, I will use them foolishly. Fins Up! CDIII.

JoNeS BeAcH 8/21/14
Harbour Shark
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Favorite Buffett Song: Changing Channels
Number of Concerts: 17
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojitos

Post by Harbour Shark »

Lots of great information and tips in this thread! My wife and I will be visiting Key West for the very first time April 26th - 30th, following stops in Orlando to visit the Hemisphere Dancer at the Lone Palm airport, and Tampa for the concert on the 25th. It's going to be a real Parrothead pilgrimage :) ! It will be my first time in the Sunshine State in over 22 years, can't wait 'til I'm back to livin' Floridays! :D
“I have even in recent years... adapted to the colder waters of Long Island in the fall… Either that, or the older I get, the more I am getting in touch with my Newfoundland genetic heritage.” – Jimmy Buffett, Outer Banks Diary, Part 2
"There's a lot of Goofy Newfie in me" - JB 13/10/2017
CindaBee

Post by CindaBee »

Harbour Shark wrote:Lots of great information and tips in this thread! My wife and I will be visiting Key West for the very first time April 26th - 30th, following stops in Orlando to visit the Hemisphere Dancer at the Lone Palm airport, and Tampa for the concert on the 25th. It's going to be a real Parrothead pilgrimage :) ! It will be my first time in the Sunshine State in over 22 years, can't wait 'til I'm back to livin' Floridays! :D
HS, Congrats on going back to the peninsula!!! I've been visiting Key West since 1970--if you want any ideas, just PM me. Sounds like your trip will be great fun. :wench:
digitalprintman
I have found me a home

Post by digitalprintman »

CindaBee wrote:Just returned yesterday from 8 days on the island. Ready to return already! This was our 10th year at the same B&B, great place on William Street, now feels like a second home.

Some new things to do....
Keys Piano Bar at 1114 Duval--nice way to end the evening.
New Brazilian Restaurant on Caroline, behind the Bull. A little pricey, but great menu.

Alonzo's Oyster Bar now has 2 for 1 Happy Hour from 4-7 with half-priced appetizers. Made a great dinner.

After exhaustive research, I found that the least expensive raw oysters on the island is STILL Half-Shell. They oysters were big and juicy and $10.95 a dozen!!!

The statement made on one of these posts that Dante's is a locals' bar is not exactly true. Checked with many of my local friends and they weren't impressed at all.

Louie's Afterdeck is still the best place for cocktails on the island and the restaurant (Backyard) is still too expensive. hehehe.

As far as the other stuff, it's still ALL GOOD. And the waterfront condo project is in the toilet!!! YAY, the Schooner Wharf is still safe. :wench:
Yes, we picked up on Alonzo's Happy Hour and Half Priced appetizers last year when Mom and Phriends spent January and February at Cudjoe Key (23 miles out of Key West). A local recommended it.

There is another benefit that you may not know about with doing Alonzo's. FREE Parking!! There is a large parking lot right behind Alonzo's. Just pull in and let them know that you are going in for dinner. They give you roughly 2 hours of FREE Parking. Just show them your receipt from Alonzo's when you return to get your car. I do believe you park yourself, not a valet service. They will also make you a heck of a deal, if you want to leave your car awhile longer to go down and watch the Sunset at Mallory Square. A decent walk but really not bad at all.

Do try the Conch Chowder, a little Spicey but real good. Mom loved their French Fries. The other items were real tasty also. Especially at Half Price.

Check the appetizer menu:

http://www.alonzosoysterbar.com/

Hope some of this helps. It's pretty much all Good in Key West!!!!! :pirate: :wench: :o :lol: