Buffett Songs you just don't want to hear anymore....

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

SeattleParrotHead
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: Island, 12v Man
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: Mai Tais @ Dukes

Re: Buffett Songs you just don't want to hear anymore....

Post by SeattleParrotHead »

surfpirate wrote: With Radio Margaritaville and Margaritaville TV Jimmy gives us the opportunity to see or hear almost every single concert for free. I mean what other performer does that?
Amen!
ImageImage

I know the voices in my head aren’t real, but sometimes they have really good ideas…..
SPH
FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Ice Cold Loaded Landshark

Post by FinsUp6835 »

surfpirate wrote: April 11, 2018 2:24 pm With Radio Margaritaville and Margaritaville TV Jimmy gives us the opportunity to see or hear almost every single concert. I mean what other performer does that?

That being said, it is also one of the reasons it's so easy to become jaded and cynical about his choice of songs to include in the set lists. We've heard them. Over and over and ....

The jokes and banter are the same with minor variations depending on the venue and city (" ... but it's a real beauty, a [insert-city-here] cutie ..."), but again, we only know that because we get to hear every. single. show.

And we dedicated join a BuffettNews forum fans obviously know a deeper cut of Jimmy's catalog. Me? I seriously want to hear him play "African Friend" live. I've been to somewhere around 100 shows, but never heard it. But .... at any given show with 15 - 20,000 fans, who am I to say "drop Cheeseburger In Paradise" and play a more obscure song for me"? Because also at that show are hundreds perhaps thousands of fans attending their very first show.

And they deserve and want to hear the hits.

Well said and very true.
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.
Dweller
Favorite Buffett Song: Creola
Number of Concerts: 5

Post by Dweller »

It's not so much hating Maragritaville, CERTAINLY not hating Jimmy Buffett.
bralph
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Trying To Reason With Hurricane Season
Number of Concerts: 12

Post by bralph »

There are songs I skip on Spotify or change the channel on XM when they come on, but in concert I don't mind hearing. Of course, mostly those are the SYKBH. There are very few songs that elicit a groan from me in concert, but God's Own Drunk is at the top of that list. The song is just such a bore live, plus it's so long... BLAH!
FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle

Post by FinsUp6835 »

bralph wrote: May 29, 2018 8:40 am There are songs I skip on Spotify or change the channel on XM when they come on, but in concert I don't mind hearing. Of course, mostly those are the SYKBH. There are very few songs that elicit a groan from me in concert, but God's Own Drunk is at the top of that list. The song is just such a bore live, plus it's so long... BLAH!
God's Own Drunk is a bore? (you have a right to your opinion) but that is a head shake from my end....
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.
bralph
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Trying To Reason With Hurricane Season
Number of Concerts: 12

Post by bralph »

FinsUp6835 wrote: May 29, 2018 9:13 am
bralph wrote: May 29, 2018 8:40 am There are songs I skip on Spotify or change the channel on XM when they come on, but in concert I don't mind hearing. Of course, mostly those are the SYKBH. There are very few songs that elicit a groan from me in concert, but God's Own Drunk is at the top of that list. The song is just such a bore live, plus it's so long... BLAH!
God's Own Drunk is a bore? (you have a right to your opinion) but that is a head shake from my end....
Yes, a total bore live. You can't dance to it, and it's more spoken-word than singing, so all you can do is sit there for hours waiting for "and I was DRUNK...". BLAH!
PirateDeb
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: All I Need Is My Guitar
Number of Concerts: 41
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum!

Post by PirateDeb »

I thought I dodged a bullet at the Indy show when he didn't play BEG, but then he went and put it in the encore. That is at the top of my list that I wish he would drop.
FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!

Post by FinsUp6835 »

bralph wrote: May 29, 2018 9:32 am
FinsUp6835 wrote: May 29, 2018 9:13 am
Yes, a total bore live. You can't dance to it, and it's more spoken-word than singing, so all you can do is sit there for hours waiting for "and I was DRUNK...". BLAH!
I disagree. It is storytelling at its finest.
boatdrinks84
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: They Don't Dance Like Carmen No More
Number of Concerts: 8
Favorite Boat Drink: Hurricane

Post by boatdrinks84 »

I’m going to actually agree on God’s Own Drunk. It’s obviously played for the hardcore fans, but it is an energy killer live since there’s a lot of rambling and no hook. I can listen to that song occasionally, but it drags.
Davidkos74
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Last Mango in Paris
Number of Concerts: 22

Post by Davidkos74 »

You can flush Cheeseburger, BEG, Why Dont We Get Drunk and Volcano. If I never hear them again I will be fine.

However, he will never do that. I saw Jimmy again on New Years in Nashville and just last week in Cleveland. In both instances, there were a LOT of people sitting through all the great songs (Livingston Saturday Night, Stranded on a Sandbar etc) and they only jumped out of their seats when the SYKBH came on. It is what it is, not everyone is a superfan.
snowfinz
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by snowfinz »

Grapefruit Juicy Fruit and Pencil Thin Moustache are the 2 I could happily never hear again. Like others have said there is such a catalog of great songs that could be substituted. I too would love to hear African Friend and Distantly in Love. But as most are saying- the songs likes/dislikes are so different for everyone.
I am just happy to be able to see him!!!
kudzukid
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Cowboy in the Jungle (today anyway)
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita

Post by kudzukid »

Brown-Eyed Girl. Too many great Buffett songs to do this Van Morrison karaoke standard instead.
PirateDeb
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: All I Need Is My Guitar
Number of Concerts: 41
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum!

Post by PirateDeb »

Brown Eyed Girl would my first pick to be thrown out. I too sit down, as someone already mentioned, during the ones that are overplayed. 8)
boatdrinks84
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: They Don't Dance Like Carmen No More
Favorite Boat Drink: Hurricane

Post by boatdrinks84 »

I don’t know that I never want to hear Southern Cross and OPH, but both of those could definitely have use a break.
SeattleParrotHead
Favorite Buffett Song: Island, 12v Man
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: Mai Tais @ Dukes

Post by SeattleParrotHead »

When he only plays in your town every six years, there are no "overplayed" songs...
ImageImage

I know the voices in my head aren’t real, but sometimes they have really good ideas…..
SPH
SMLCHNG
Favorite Buffett Song: Lovely Cruise/Bubbles Up
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Extra dirty gin martini

Post by SMLCHNG »

SeattleParrotHead wrote: July 14, 2018 10:55 pm When he only plays in your town every six years, there are no "overplayed" songs...
Ditto. Which is why I don't listen to/watch concerts on RM. There are still some I don't love, but it doesn't stop me from going to his shows. We'll probably not go to another because we've been to SO many, the show with the Eagles was great, and nothing will top Red Rocks for us. :D
Uncle John
I have found me a home
Number of Concerts: 69
Favorite Boat Drink: Dirty Banana

Post by Uncle John »

BEG and Southern Cross are the two most obvious. I’ll echo someone else with Pencil Thin and Grapefruit, although I could take them if they were just a little more infrequent. I’d love to permanently retire License to Chill as well.

Otherwise, as much as I love Back Where I’d Come From when they do it live, I’d like it better if they did a different Mac tune from time to time. The Ass and the Hole, The City, It’s My Job, just to name a few. Yes the latter two get played a lot, but not nearly as often as Back where I Come From. Just mix it up a bit.
Some people never find it
Some... only pretend, but me:
I just want to live happily ever after every now and then
JollyMon66
Favorite Buffett Song: Last Mango in Paris
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

Post by JollyMon66 »

Math Suks...and so does this song
Image Image Image
If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane ...
SharkysMV1
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Number of Concerts: 9
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum & Tonic

Post by SharkysMV1 »

I have given Southern Cross a free pass after listening to a podcast interview with Peter Mayer. He genuinely enjoys playing it and adding a bit of flavor to the main riff, which is not in the original.

I think BEG would be my choice to be removed. Cheeseburger and Why Don’t We Get Drunk are my “bathroom/beer run songs”. I don’t think he could remove those from the set lists, given how excited the crowd gets.

It’s five o’clock somewhere is nearing BEG status for me.

I’m a sucker for the rarities, and bonus points for solo acoustic rarities at that.
“Later down the road of life, I made the discovery that salt water was also good for the mental abrasions one inevitably acquires on land.” - JB, APLAFifty
atmarler26
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Manana and One Particular Harbor
Number of Concerts: 1

Post by atmarler26 »

Davidkos74 wrote: June 4, 2018 9:45 amYou can flush Cheeseburger, BEG, Why Dont We Get Drunk and Volcano. If I never hear them again I will be fine.
Definitely agree about Why Don't We Get Drunk (the one Buffett song I really can't stand, and never have--I think you can actually make a case for it being worse than Math Suks because WDWGD is actually intended to be good whereas Math Suks is really more of a novelty and intended to be bad) and Cheeseburger (maybe never again is a bit harsh but that's the other one I would gladly eliminate from the large majority of setlists as well).

Have to disagree about Volcano though. I always really liked the original studio version of Volcano and of his really well known "yellow album" songs, it is my favorite so I never get tired of hearing it live. The best live versions of it are the more simple, acoustic ones with less overall instrumentation in the background, IMO- like the one from Melbourne in 2012 for example. My all time favorite live version of it though was from Uncasville in 2012, simply because of the intro when he mentioned my favorite sport and jokingly said "There's mountainous volcanoes out in Western Connecticut, I know, I was a soccer dad up there and had to drive around all these volcanoes when taking my son to soccer games."
"The last time we played here in 2004 in September, the Red Sox won the World Series in October. I'm thinking the same thing this year, how 'bout you?" -Jimmy Buffett, 8/9/2018