Buffett Songs you just don't want to hear anymore....

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

Pirate Lookin' at 40
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Number of Concerts: 0

Buffett Songs you just don't want to hear anymore....

Post by Pirate Lookin' at 40 »

Hey Pholks,

I'm sure this has probably been discussed before, but what Buffett songs do you like, but just don't care to hear anymore, especially at a show.

These are all songs that I like, it just wouldn't bother me to never hear them again.

"Fins" - I know it's a staple of his shows and it isn't going anywhere. But there's so many others I'd rather hear.
"Cheeseburger in Paradise" - Even more than Fins, this one just does not do anything for me anymore.
"Why Don't We Get Drunk" - Actually, I'm not sure if I can even say that I still like this one.
"Come Monday" - I can still listen to this one and unlike the others, I don't skip past it when it's on. But given the choice there's so many others I'd rather hear at a show.

Replace these 4 with "The Wino and I Know", "Tin Cup Chalice", "Presents To Send You", "Cliches". Now there's a set list!
"And when I die you can bury me beneath these Western Skies”

-Western Skies, Chris LeDoux 1948-2005

Rest in peace cowboy, a job well done.
tropicalmindset
I need two more boat drinks
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH, Island, Boat Drinks, Growing Older, Bama Breeze, Last Mango
Number of Concerts: 9
Favorite Boat Drink: Jack with a splash of coke

Re: Buffett Songs you just don't want to hear anymore....

Post by tropicalmindset »

Last year at the Wrigley concert I started doing a peaceful protest, by sitting down during the over played songs (Come Monday, BEG, etc.).

BEG being the big one there. Just can't stand it anymore. Too overplayed and doesn't belong in his concerts.

Can think of so many better songs to include in a show. Island, School Boy Heart, Great Heart, Cowboy in the Jungle, just to name a few.
2012 - Chicago (Tinley Park)
2013 - Alpine Valley
2014 - Alpine Valley
2015 - Alpine Valley
2016 - Alpine Valley
2017 - Chicago (Wrigley Field)
2018 - Chicago (Wrigley Field)
2019 - Alpine Valley
2022 - Alpine Valley
Jerm3462
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Number of Concerts: 25

Post by Jerm3462 »

Brown Eyed Girl
PeoriaTom
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: West Nashville Grand Ballroom Gown
Number of Concerts: 5

Post by PeoriaTom »

Guess I'm in the tiny minority here, but...

The SYKBH songs belong in nearly every show, period. This isn't some annoying thing only Jimmy does, its very standard for an artist to play his or her hits ... much less Come Monday?!?! Sacrilege! :) I also don't mind Brown Eyed Girl at all and actually PREFER Jimmy's take on the song ... doesn't need to be played every show, though. I don't think Knee Deep should be played much. I also think Weather With You and Back Where I Come From should rarely make it. Songs I'd love to hear more would be Cowboy in the Jungle, Manana, Weather is Here and Presents to Send You, to name a few. My wild card is I'd love for him to shock me one of these times and play West Nashville Grand Ballroom Gown. :P
Past Concerts:
Saturday 6/28/2003 - East Troy, WI
Tuesday 4/17/2012 - Des Moines, IA
Saturday 7/25/2016 - Tinley Park, IL
Saturday 7/15/2017 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field)
Tuesday 5/22/2018 - Des Moines, IA
Friday 7/13/2018 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field)

Upcoming:
Saturday 7/20 - Alpine Valley!
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie »

PeoriaTom wrote: March 20, 2018 5:57 pm Guess I'm in the tiny minority here, but...

The SYKBH songs belong in nearly every show, period. This isn't some annoying thing only Jimmy does, its very standard for an artist to play his or her hits ... much less Come Monday?!?! Sacrilege! :) I also don't mind Brown Eyed Girl at all and actually PREFER Jimmy's take on the song ... doesn't need to be played every show, though. I don't think Knee Deep should be played much. I also think Weather With You and Back Where I Come From should rarely make it. Songs I'd love to hear more would be Cowboy in the Jungle, Manana, Weather is Here and Presents to Send You, to name a few. My wild card is I'd love for him to shock me one of these times and play West Nashville Grand Ballroom Gown. :P
He said in an interview about there being 8-14 songs that the fans would kill him if he didn't play. I must travel in the wrong circles because all the JB fans I know would love to hear some backwall and some gems. The final set list for the KW show the fans voted on surprised me. Glad that BNers who did go had a great time, and not gonna lie, would have gone if I had won tickets just because such a tiny venue. But there is such a massive catalog of good stuff out there.
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

BottleofRum
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris: It's My Job
Favorite Boat Drink: Barbancourt Rhum

Post by BottleofRum »

PeoriaTom wrote: March 20, 2018 5:57 pm Guess I'm in the tiny minority here, but...

The SYKBH songs belong in nearly every show, period. This isn't some annoying thing only Jimmy does, its very standard for an artist to play his or her hits ... much less Come Monday?!?!
I agree. They are not my favorite songs but they are the songs that got me into Buffett so hearing them live is always nice. I could do without 5 O'Clock and BEG though.
- - “If it doesn't work out there will never be any doubt that the pleasure was worth all the pain.”
Pirate Lookin' at 40
We are the People our Parents Warned us

Post by Pirate Lookin' at 40 »

When I made this post, BEG never came to mind. I love the song, both the original and Jimmy's version. I think it's a great live song. It just doesn't fall into this category for me, but I certainly see how it could for others.

The above posts are correct, in that Jimmy has to play his hits, or get crucified. Same holds true for all artists. I'm going to see Def Leppard in June and I know full well what I'm getting. I'll be lucky to hear one song prior to Pyromania. That's just the way it works.

I've always been amazed at the people at JB shows that have a great time and love all the songs from the yellow album, but never even bothered to listen further. I mean, some of these people can't even get into "One Particular Harbor", because they never bothered to know it. But, that's a different topic I guess.

I can see both sides. God willing, I'm going to try and take my kids to their first Buffett show next summer, and for their sake, I'd be disappointed if "Fins" and "Cheeseburger" didn't make the cut. So, I get it.
"And when I die you can bury me beneath these Western Skies”

-Western Skies, Chris LeDoux 1948-2005

Rest in peace cowboy, a job well done.
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk

Post by lime rickie »

Pirate Lookin' at 40 wrote: March 20, 2018 7:31 pm
The above posts are correct, in that Jimmy has to play his hits, or get crucified. Same holds true for all artists. I'm going to see Def Leppard in June and I know full well what I'm getting. I'll be lucky to hear one song prior to Pyromania. That's just the way it works.
What songs? Seriously, what songs from the last five+ years of set lists would anyone crucify Jimmy for leaving out? I can't think of one.

But again, the KW fan show astonished me. That was such an opportunity, Jimmy in a small venue, and the set list was so unsurprising.

FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Ice Cold Loaded Landshark

Post by FinsUp6835 »

lime rickie wrote: March 20, 2018 7:48 pm
What songs? Seriously, what songs from the last five+ years of set lists would anyone crucify Jimmy for leaving out? I can't think of one.

But again, the KW fan show astonished me. That was such an opportunity, Jimmy in a small venue, and the set list was so unsurprising.
He has to play the following:
Margaritaville
Fins
Pirate (this should never be dropped ever IMO)
CIP
changes in lat
Volcano
Come Monday (also think it should never be dropped)
Son of a son
5 o clock

He will never drop southern cross or beg

That said, it still leaves him a solid 12-13 slots he could put anything he wants in. I think he should play the BIG 12 like he does then the other 12 just complete gems. Then both types of fans leave happy. Any general jimmy fan can't leave and complain if they heard 13-14 of the huge hits. They just can't. But, all this said, Jimmy has toured for 45 plus years and is now considered a legend. He can do whatever he wants. As he says in you had to be there " I can't do em all at one time, excuuuuuse me."

Fins up
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk

Post by lime rickie »

FinsUp6835 wrote: March 20, 2018 8:41 pm

You're just a kid so I'll offer these gentle corrections:

Margaritaville yes? I mean we all know why we're there
Fins yes? ok, fun, espec for the newbs
Pirate (this should never be dropped ever IMO) ok
CIP No, completely disagree, this is not an every show tune, maybe a show with a lot of expected families/kids?
changes in lat yes
Volcano no, not a 'has to play' by any stretch
Come Monday (also think it should never be dropped) tons of other beautiful ballads in the catalog
Son of a son yes
5 o clock no, this is just tired; so many other fun tunes to mix it up

That said, it still leaves him a solid 12-13 slots he could put anything he wants in. I think he shouldn't play the BIG 12 like he does then the other 12 just complete gems. Then both types of fans leave happy. Any general jimmy fan can't leave and complain if they heard 13-14 of the huge hits. They just can't. But, all this said, Jimmy has toured for 45 plus years and is now considered a legend. He can do whatever he wants. As he says in you had to be there " I can't do em all at one time, excuuuuuse me."

Fins up
The 8-14 he *has* to play? No one would miss.

FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle

Post by FinsUp6835 »

lime rickie wrote: March 20, 2018 9:01 pm
FinsUp6835 wrote: March 20, 2018 8:41 pm

You're just a kid so I'll offer these gentle corrections:

Margaritaville yes? I mean we all know why we're there
Fins yes? ok, fun, espec for the newbs
Pirate (this should never be dropped ever IMO) ok
CIP No, completely disagree, this is not an every show tune, maybe a show with a lot of expected families/kids?
changes in lat yes
Volcano no, not a 'has to play' by any stretch
Come Monday (also think it should never be dropped) tons of other beautiful ballads in the catalog
Son of a son yes
5 o clock no, this is just tired; so many other fun tunes to mix it up

That said, it still leaves him a solid 12-13 slots he could put anything he wants in. I think he shouldn't play the BIG 12 like he does then the other 12 just complete gems. Then both types of fans leave happy. Any general jimmy fan can't leave and complain if they heard 13-14 of the huge hits. They just can't. But, all this said, Jimmy has toured for 45 plus years and is now considered a legend. He can do whatever he wants. As he says in you had to be there " I can't do em all at one time, excuuuuuse me."

Fins up
The 8-14 he *has* to play? No one would miss.
Probably no one on here would even though I enjoy the hits. Though, 85% of the people who attend his concerts would very much care. They all do it. Kenny chesney, billy Joel, etc. they all build their shows to the masses.
The Key West show was a missed opportunity but probably one of the stronger overall set lists in awhile.
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.
SMLCHNG
Favorite Buffett Song: Lovely Cruise/Bubbles Up
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Extra dirty gin martini

Post by SMLCHNG »

FinsUp6835 wrote: March 20, 2018 9:05 pm Probably no one on here would, even though I enjoy the hits.
And that's the point. Nobody has the exact same opinions of what songs they want, AND don't want to hear. No one is right, no one is wrong. It's the personal preference each person has. And you'll never have people agree on the same songs they want/don't want.
FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!

Post by FinsUp6835 »

SMLCHNG wrote: March 20, 2018 11:45 pm
FinsUp6835 wrote: March 20, 2018 9:05 pm Probably no one on here would, even though I enjoy the hits.
And that's the point. Nobody has the exact same opinions of what songs they want, AND don't want to hear. No one is right, no one is wrong. It's the personal preference each person has. And you'll never have people agree on the same songs they want/don't want.
It's true. Thank god for iTunes playlists. :pirate:

I made a full playlist on iTunes of the discography of Jimmy's studio albums only starting with White Sport Coat and ending with Songs from St.Somewhere. I included the unreleased box set songs like Love and Luck. However, I did not include studio cuts of 5 o clock somewhere and Knee Deep nor did I include Buried Treasure, High Cumby, or Down to Earth. All those albums come out to 281 songs which is a little under 19 hours of music. If only he could squeeze 19 hours of studio music into a 2 hour set. hmmmmmm :wink:
LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

There are a lot of Buffett songs I don't want to hear anymore, but it's mostly because I've heard them so often I'm tired of them, not because I don't like them. Want I really don't want to hear anymore are all the $h!tty cover songs. If I wanted to hear a cover band, I could go to a local bar for a $5 of $10 cover (no pun intended :lol:) charge instead of $150 for a Buffett concert. The man has more than 30 albums, he can easily come up with a setlist of his own songs.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!

Post by FinsUp6835 »

I was thinking and the only way he could get around doing a tour without the standards is announcing it prior.

If he announced a "rarities" tour then it would not be a problem. If a "yellow album" fan goes to that then they can't complain. I hope before its all said and done he does something like this. I would go to multiple shows for sure. Maybe we can try to get him the message on Instagram [smilie=cheeky-grin.gif]
boatdrinks84
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: They Don't Dance Like Carmen No More
Number of Concerts: 8
Favorite Boat Drink: Hurricane

Post by boatdrinks84 »

Brown-Eyed Girl

Take It Easy

Great Filling Station Holdup with Midnight Rider

Weather With You

Knee Deep

Back Where I Come From

Knees of My Heart (this one has come out a LOT since 2013)
RainTree
Behind Door #3
Favorite Buffett Song: Depends on the mood
Number of Concerts: 2
Favorite Boat Drink: Bahama Mama

Post by RainTree »

BEG.
Not in concert
Not on any more Live Recordings.

There are a lot of other JB songs I'd like to hear, but that list is too long to post.
FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!

Post by FinsUp6835 »

boatdrinks84 wrote: March 23, 2018 2:53 pm Brown-Eyed Girl

Take It Easy

Weather With You

Knee Deep

Back Where I Come From

Yeah. These songs have been in the rotation a lot recently. I wouldn't mind Great Filling in every set. Great jam and old school. He will never drop BEG. He recorded it. Crowd favorite. I get why he plays it. My grandma knows the song Brown Eyed Girl. And, I really like Knees of my heart but it has been in the set a lot. I get why he plays some of these songs. Knee Deep is relevant to the younger, country crowd. Back Where I come From allows him to feature Mac more and Knees of my heart allows Robert G to kill it on the steel drums. But, he could def. switch these songs up. No average fan would be upset if he didn't play these.
urlcenter
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 6

Post by urlcenter »

FinsUp6835 wrote: March 25, 2018 8:37 am

Take It Easy

Weather With You

Knee Deep

Back Where I Come From

Yeah. These songs have been in the rotation a lot recently. I wouldn't mind Great Filling in every set. Great jam and old school. He will never drop BEG. He recorded it. Crowd favorite. I get why he plays it. My grandma knows the song Brown Eyed Girl. And, I really like Knees of my heart but it has been in the set a lot. I get why he plays some of these songs. Knee Deep is relevant to the younger, country crowd. Back Where I come From allows him to feature Mac more and Knees of my heart allows Robert G to kill it on the steel drums. But, he could def. switch these songs up. No average fan would be upset if he didn't play these.
Jimmy did not originally record "Brown Eyed Girl" it was originally recorded by Van Morrison in 1967, Jimmy recorded a cover version on the album One Particular Harbour in 1983 and he released his live version of the song on the 1999 live album entitled "Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays". According to the Song database here on BN Jimmy has played "Brown Eyed Girl" 755 times live
FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!

Post by FinsUp6835 »

urlcenter wrote: March 25, 2018 10:46 am
FinsUp6835 wrote: March 25, 2018 8:37 am

Take It Easy

Weather With You

Knee Deep

Back Where I Come From

Jimmy did not originally record "Brown Eyed Girl" it was originally recorded by Van Morrison in 1967, Jimmy recorded a cover version on the album One Particular Harbour in 1983 and he released his live version of the song on the 1999 live album entitled "Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays". According to the Song database here on BN Jimmy has played "Brown Eyed Girl" 755 times live

LOL. Yes. When I said "recorded it" I meant he put it on his OPH album. Like really?