2017 I Don't Know Tour Sellouts?

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

PeoriaTom
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: West Nashville Grand Ballroom Gown
Number of Concerts: 5

2017 I Don't Know Tour Sellouts?

Post by PeoriaTom »

I'm having some trouble finding actual attendance numbers for last year's tour. Does anyone know what shows sold out and what ones didn't? I know Wrigley sold out, because I was there, but I wasn't sure about the rest! I assume all of the smaller venues did.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Past Concerts:
Saturday 6/28/2003 - East Troy, WI
Tuesday 4/17/2012 - Des Moines, IA
Saturday 7/25/2016 - Tinley Park, IL
Saturday 7/15/2017 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field)
Tuesday 5/22/2018 - Des Moines, IA
Friday 7/13/2018 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field)

Upcoming:
Saturday 7/20 - Alpine Valley!

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Re: 2017 I Don't Know Tour Sellouts?

Post by LIPH »

The Vegas show in April wasn't close to being sold out.

Charleston probably sold out but that's a small venue. It's a tennis stadium with a capacity of about 10,000 for a tennis match. I don't know the capacity for a concert, but with the sections behind the stage blocked off it's obviously less than 10,000.

The sections in front of me in Orange Beach looked pretty full but I didn't look behind me so I don't know if that show sold out.

The parking lots at Jones Beach were full but there was an inordinately large number of "party 'til you puke" types in attendance so I doubt if that show sold out.

I was at Wrigley too and there were a lot of empty seats in the section I was in, as well as the surrounding sections, so I wouldn't be too sure that was a sellout.

I wasn't at any other shows so I don't know, nor do I care, if they sold out.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here

andygradel75
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbor
Number of Concerts: 9
Favorite Boat Drink: Hurricane

Post by andygradel75 »

There was a Groupon deal for Camden, NJ, so definitely not a sellout there... Was still a healthy crowd, just not SRO.
Andy Gradel
If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane.

sabresparrothead
Southeast of disorder

Post by sabresparrothead »

Toronto didn't, and tickets were going for $6 CAD on StubHub the day of the show (granted, there was pretty heavy rain).

But it was crowded and looked like a sellout. Lawn was packed to what seemed like capacity and the shell looked full.

wanderingtoes
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Favorite Buffett Song: When The Coast Is Clear
Number of Concerts: 29
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita

Post by wanderingtoes »

I think the above comments are so true with todays market place. Some years ago his shows were 3-5 minute sell outs and you could never get in phones or commuters. Once I went to my office and we had six phones calling plus computers, zero tickets purchased. I don't think Orange Beach Alabama was a sell out, but the venue seemed packed. I think as long as he has large energetic crowds and a good time is had by all, then we are still in a good place. Plus his live shows are still a very happy motivated place to be, good times!
"I've got a School Boy Heart"

BottleofRum
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris: It's My Job
Favorite Boat Drink: Barbancourt Rhum

Post by BottleofRum »

Great Woods was prob an official sellout but they held off putting two of the upper corner sections of the pavilion (sec 9 & 15) until they had a demand and when they did put them on-sale they sold that a lawn ticket prices or lower. GW Buffett tickets were still available the weeks, days, and the day of the show but they would prob say it was a sellout by show time.
Last edited by BottleofRum on March 15, 2018 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- - “If it doesn't work out there will never be any doubt that the pleasure was worth all the pain.”

msu#1
Behind Door #3

Post by msu#1 »

StubHub making it easy to resell tickets or buy without scalpers and the huge uptick in prices was the main reason for near but not total sellouts.

Right now the shows are priced accordingly to the market.

A show that sells out in minutes was priced to low.....one that has a Groupon deal was priced way to high for the market.

Detroit was pretty much a sellouts but the pavilion was the last thing to go. The lawn was gone in minutes and it was the cheapest seats.
Lake Erie Pirate scientist

bodypainter
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbor
Number of Concerts: 24
Favorite Boat Drink: whatever I get as a tip(no JELLO)

Post by bodypainter »

Cincy was a sellout. It was his 50th show and a Saturday concert. We lined up for the special lots at 6:45 AM for the gate to open at 8. Only 6 vehicles got in after us.
If I wasn't fishing in this all day rain,I'd be home doing something stupid.

FunkHouse9
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Nautical Wheelers
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: Crown Royal & Ginger Ale

Post by FunkHouse9 »

Bristow, VA was very much not a sellout, nor is it on track to this year.
Maybe it's because in spite of all the work we do, it's the child in us we really value.

PeoriaTom
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: West Nashville Grand Ballroom Gown
Number of Concerts: 5

Post by PeoriaTom »

FunkHouse9 wrote:
March 15, 2018 1:25 pm
That sucks. :( What's Jiffy hold, like 20,000 or a little more? I hope he at least had 18,000+ so it looked full!
Past Concerts:
Saturday 6/28/2003 - East Troy, WI
Tuesday 4/17/2012 - Des Moines, IA
Saturday 7/25/2016 - Tinley Park, IL
Saturday 7/15/2017 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field)
Tuesday 5/22/2018 - Des Moines, IA
Friday 7/13/2018 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field)

Upcoming:
Saturday 7/20 - Alpine Valley!

FunkHouse9
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Nautical Wheelers
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: Crown Royal & Ginger Ale

Post by FunkHouse9 »

PeoriaTom wrote:
March 15, 2018 2:45 pm
FunkHouse9 wrote:
March 15, 2018 1:25 pm
That sucks. :( What's Jiffy hold, like 20,000 or a little more? I hope he at least had 18,000+ so it looked full!
Go look at the ticket availability for JLL this year. It's really depressing. Aside from a couple rows in 303, none of the 300's have even been made available yet. Despite that, the front sections are widely available.
Maybe it's because in spite of all the work we do, it's the child in us we really value.

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

Maybe someone in the inner circle should tell the boss that many people are no longer willing to pay $170+ (including service charges) for what's become a stale set list increasingly reliant on cover tunes. I've said it many times before - if I wanted to hear other peoples' songs, I'd go to other peoples' shows.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here

daddymention
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: Tryin' to Reason With Hurricane Season & Cowboy in the Jungle
Number of Concerts: 31
Favorite Boat Drink: Pizza Port Carlsbad- Poor Man's IPA & Zombies

Post by daddymention »

LIPH wrote:
March 15, 2018 6:09 pm
Maybe someone in the inner circle should tell the boss that many people are no longer willing to pay $170+ (including service charges) for what's become a stale set list increasingly reliant on cover tunes. I've said it many times before - if I wanted to hear other peoples' songs, I'd go to other peoples' shows.
Exactly right!

You can also add Chula Vista (San Diego) to your list...not even close to a sell out. The parking lot was not even close to full. Very disappointing! I think people chose not to tailgate or did it somewhere else. Lots didn't open till 4pm on the dot...and by then the traffic was backed up for over a mile, so it took another 45 minutes to get to a parking space.

1ST CONCERT: SAT. AUG 6, 1988 - PACIFIC AMPHITHEATRE, COSTA MESA, CA - LOGE 11 SEC 2 ROW U SEAT 42 $20.35
SHOWS: DAVID-31, STEFANIA-27, SHANE-11, EMMA KATE-7
PARROT HEAD SINCE 1985

BottleofRum
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris: It's My Job
Favorite Boat Drink: Barbancourt Rhum

Post by BottleofRum »

LIPH wrote:
March 15, 2018 6:09 pm
If ticket prices were cheaper the shows would sellout because the casual fans and hardcore fans would go for the whole experience. At most concerts you have more casual fans there for the party and to hear the greatest hits/cover songs but they have been priced out. And the hardcore fans want more song variety and are unwilling to pay that much for tickets to hear a recycled show. Lower the ticket prices and people in both groups will show up. This is why lawn tickets always sellout so fast, they are cheaper and that is the price point people are willing to spend. Buffett is not worth $150 per ticket esp with so many other options out there for concerts.
- - “If it doesn't work out there will never be any doubt that the pleasure was worth all the pain.”

boatdrinks84
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: They Don't Dance Like Carmen No More
Number of Concerts: 8
Favorite Boat Drink: Hurricane

Post by boatdrinks84 »

A sellout just means all tickets were sold. There are always going to be people who flake out and don’t show up or are at the show but never go to their seat. It’s true of every concert and sporting event.

Wrigley was sold out last year, as far as I can remember.