Thanks Jimmy

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

BillyClyde
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Thanks Jimmy

Post by BillyClyde »

I was at Alpine on Saturday and re-watched the show to catch anything I didn't quite "remember" from being there. And I must say, Jimmy and the band really, really, REALLY "brought it" for that show. Here's what I mean:

* Cheesecakes was just awesome. That takes a lot of preparation on Jimmy's part to write and even more so to remember them during the show. Just awesome. There are many other examples of new local lyrics at the show too. Manana was also very cool. Those little touches mean a lot.

* The band was just so tight and on the money. I hope the CRB realizes how appreciated they are.

* The whole gang really seemed to be enjoying it as much as we were out in the crowd. Jimmy mentioned a few times that they aren't going anywhere. It's almost as if he was thinking "why would I ever want to stop doing THIS?".

The whole day was just a perfect example of why we are parrotheads. Jimmy's showmanship, the energy throughout the whole day, just an amazing experience. Thanks for reading. I had to tell someone. The "civilians" I tell just don't understand!

"Don't try to describe a Buffett concert if you've never seen it....."
FunkHouse9
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Nautical Wheelers
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: Crown Royal & Ginger Ale

Re: Thanks Jimmy

Post by FunkHouse9 »

BillyClyde wrote:* Cheesecakes was just awesome. That takes a lot of preparation on Jimmy's part to write and even more so to remember them during the show.
There are many teleprompters set up across the base of the stage, so I honestly doubt he had all of the lyrics memorized. Regardless, something unique like that is very cool.

I went to the Bristow show and I do agree that most of the band seemed to be having a good time up there. Maybe not so much for a couple of them, but you can't expect them to be at 100% enthusiasm for every single show. I absolutely love the ability to go back and enjoy the shows again. Unfortunately, I have an ear to pick out mistakes in the live recordings. While I didn't notice any obvious ones at the actual show, I heard quite a few after the fact. More than the shows I've been to in past years.

I didn't hear the Alpine show specifically, but I'm sure it was great. Am gonna go back and check out Cheesecakes now. Glad you had a great time!
Maybe it's because in spite of all the work we do, it's the child in us we really value.
Randy1278
I need two more boat drinks
Favorite Buffett Song: Depends on the mood, the day, the location...
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Golden Marg, no salt, double lime

Post by Randy1278 »

I wonder how he took the news about the teleprompters? I assumed it was like a kid finding out about Santa Clause.
I think I'll take my shoes off and go walking
Down beside the Caribbean Sea. . .

Palm Trees and views I can't believe
Why would I ever want to leave?
BillyClyde
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by BillyClyde »

Randy1278 wrote:I wonder how he took the news about the teleprompters? I assumed it was like a kid finding out about Santa Clause.
I was surprised by it as I've heard him say he would never use one ( a long time ago). That being said, even with a teleprompter Jimmy messes up a lot of lyrics every show. This show was above average in my opinion. Especially given all the customized local lyrics.
Rabbitz
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: Growing Older
Number of Concerts: 2
Favorite Boat Drink: Rhum and Pineapple

Post by Rabbitz »

For what it is worth, I have never seen the on stage screens used as teleprompters in live music.

I have seen them used, mostly, to display set lists.

I have also seen them used to display vision of the stage - to help with timing in regards to background video and to show the talent what it looks like.

It is not impossible that lyrics may be on the screens - it would be hard to use and not look like you were reading them.

It's been a while since I worked on a big stage so anything is possible!

Hmmmmmmm, Google Glass as a teleprompter, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Always be yourself
Unless you can be Batman
Then always be Batman
FunkHouse9
At the Bama Breeze

Post by FunkHouse9 »

I know the CRB uses paper setlists taped to the stage so I doubt they are for setlists. There are quite a few and they are pretty big. They are situated low and in front of the stage so he would need to clearly look down to see them. I can't say for certain that they are for lyrics but I don't really get why else he'd have them.

Jimmy also uses a small little screen clipped to his mic stand. I don't know what that is for. I have heard its a feed of the big venue screens but it does seem kind of small for that.

Both the small and big screen can be seen in this pic.

Maybe it's because in spite of all the work we do, it's the child in us we really value.
drunkpirate66
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: Take Another Road
Number of Concerts: 67
Favorite Boat Drink: Beers.

Post by drunkpirate66 »

FunkHouse9 wrote:I know the CRB uses paper setlists taped to the stage so I doubt they are for setlists. There are quite a few and they are pretty big. They are situated low and in front of the stage so he would need to clearly look down to see them. I can't say for certain that they are for lyrics but I don't really get why else he'd have them.

Jimmy also uses a small little screen clipped to his mic stand. I don't know what that is for. I have heard its a feed of the big venue screens but it does seem kind of small for that.

Both the small and big screen can be seen in this pic.

I see a hat and a guitar too. I'm good at this game. Any more pics with things in them?
the hit and run is as good as any religion around this time of year . . .
RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Post by RinglingRingling »

You mean he didn't memorize "Nautical Weenies"?
Randy1278
I need two more boat drinks
Favorite Buffett Song: Depends on the mood, the day, the location...
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Golden Marg, no salt, double lime

Post by Randy1278 »

The small screen on the mic stand shows Jimmy the video feed. The large screens are for the lyrics. If you look close at some of the videos when the angle is right you can see the words scrolling by. You can tell when he is using them too because he looks down for the majority of the song. When he knows the words he looks out into the crowd and into the camera.
I think I'll take my shoes off and go walking
Down beside the Caribbean Sea. . .

Palm Trees and views I can't believe
Why would I ever want to leave?
FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Ice Cold Loaded Landshark

Post by FinsUp6835 »

Below is an article that discusses how Springsteen, McCartney, and others use tele prompters for lyrics. Not really a big deal...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle ... story.html

Fins up!
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.
chippewa
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by chippewa »

Rabbitz wrote:For what it is worth, I have never seen the on stage screens used as teleprompters in live music.

I have seen them used, mostly, to display set lists.

I have also seen them used to display vision of the stage - to help with timing in regards to background video and to show the talent what it looks like.

It is not impossible that lyrics may be on the screens - it would be hard to use and not look like you were reading them.

It's been a while since I worked on a big stage so anything is possible!

Hmmmmmmm, Google Glass as a teleprompter, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
This is a concert photo from LIPH from an old BN thread about teleprompters. You can see two monitors with the lyrics scrolling by, though without some CSI-level enhancement I can't make out the words. Technically, these aren't "on-stage", I've always seen Buffett's prompters on a stand just in front of the stage. I think he does that so it appears he's looking into the first couple of rows of fans, instead of the the floor of the stage.

Summerlover
Fruitcake
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: Vodka and lime

Post by Summerlover »

Witnessing first hand front and center, I can tell you when we were on the dock in St Barth with Jimmy and CR playing for the Le Select show there was no teleprompter so he can still pull it off.

Maybe the size of the big concert shows just gets him so excited he feels the need to have them there?? Who knows who cares, I can't even remember some of the simple things sometimes and I am his junior by at least 12 years. lol

It was my first look baby that's all it took
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie »

Summerlover wrote:Who knows who cares, I can't even remember some of the simple things sometimes and I am his junior by at least 12 years. lol
There are some days in my regular life where I could probably use a teleprompter. :lol: :lol: :oops:
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

FunkHouse9
At the Bama Breeze

Post by FunkHouse9 »

chippewa wrote:This is a concert photo from LIPH from an old BN thread about teleprompters. You can see two monitors with the lyrics scrolling by, though without some CSI-level enhancement I can't make out the words. Technically, these aren't "on-stage", I've always seen Buffett's prompters on a stand just in front of the stage. I think he does that so it appears he's looking into the first couple of rows of fans, instead of the the floor of the stage.

I tried to enhance it using Photoshop just to see what song it might be on the screens, but it's too grainy. Based on the setlist from that night's show and the structure of the lyrics on the screen, I suspect it is Jolly Mon. Larry also has a picture of Nadirah singing a song that same night with lyrics on the screen. However, he also has other pictures of Jimmy during that show where the screens are blank. So, clearly he doesn't need them for every song.
backstreets77
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate\Redemption Song
Number of Concerts: 12
Favorite Boat Drink: Steel Bottom
Location: I left NEPA for the sweetest place on earth Hershey

Post by backstreets77 »

FunkHouse9 wrote:
chippewa wrote:This is a concert photo from LIPH from an old BN thread about teleprompters. You can see two monitors with the lyrics scrolling by, though without some CSI-level enhancement I can't make out the words. Technically, these aren't "on-stage", I've always seen Buffett's prompters on a stand just in front of the stage. I think he does that so it appears he's looking into the first couple of rows of fans, instead of the the floor of the stage.

I tried to enhance it using Photoshop just to see what song it might be on the screens, but it's too grainy. Based on the setlist from that night's show and the structure of the lyrics on the screen, I suspect it is Jolly Mon. Larry also has a picture of Nadirah singing a song that same night with lyrics on the screen. However, he also has other pictures of Jimmy during that show where the screens are blank. So, clearly he doesn't need them for every song.
Funk i heard you were dead or overcoming ebola or something. I agree with the Jolly Mon assessment. Thats what I thought it was to.
Bicycle Bill
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris
Number of Concerts: 1
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything with rum and pineapple juice!

Post by Bicycle Bill »

backstreets77 wrote:
FunkHouse9 wrote:

Funk i heard you were dead or overcoming ebola or something. I agree with the Jolly Mon assessment. Thats what I thought it was to.
I grabbed an ordinary magnifying glass and took a closer look, and I too agree that these are the lyrics for "Jolly Mon Sing".
-"BB"-
"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead."
"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way."
FunkHouse9
At the Bama Breeze

Post by FunkHouse9 »

backstreets77 wrote:
FunkHouse9 wrote:

Reports of my death, much like every positive, negative or neutral thing ever said about me, have been greatly exaggerated.
wanderingtoes
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Favorite Buffett Song: When The Coast Is Clear
Number of Concerts: 29
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita

Post by wanderingtoes »

Whatever the setup, good for JB! As some of you might remember my son is the lead singer for a Rock and Soul Band, they do around 53 songs. When I am on stage with them I marvel at the perfection they deliver the product. They have some of the latest inner ear systems for sound, plus being wireless, but the hours of practice and several shows a week allows them to hone their skills. I would imagine JB would know every trick in the book when it comes to the Stage. Two things that are not negotiable age and voice, now days I am sure he has to really manage those functions. You have to admire his zeal and love for all things Buffett, considering the money and fame it is still quiet awesome.
"I've got a School Boy Heart"