Wow.

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

sistergoldenhair
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: salty piece of land
Number of Concerts: 14
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita on rocks lots of salt

Re: Wow.

Post by sistergoldenhair »

Awww gee, Mom ... do we really hafta go to bed now? Can't we PLEASE stay up and watch The Twilight Zone? We promise not to have any bad dreams ...
[smilie=hearts.gif] [smilie=hearts.gif] [smilie=hearts.gif] Penny!! [smilie=hearts.gif] [smilie=hearts.gif] [smilie=hearts.gif]
I'm just tryin to get by, being quiet and shy, in a world full of pushin and shove

Bicycle Bill
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris
Number of Concerts: 1
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything with rum and pineapple juice!

Post by Bicycle Bill »

surfpirate wrote:Can we please manage to give opinions without a side of snarky and an extra dollop of personal attacks?

And avoid the need to have the last word by simply restating and repeating ourselves?

Respect each other people, Or by damb golly I swear I will come back and start writing about this in comic strip form. You have been warned.
CHALLENGE ACCEPTED, you low-down scurvied son of a shortboarder!!!
(anything to get you back behind the drawing board/computer screen)

Let's see now, who should I go after first?
-"BB"-
"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead."
"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way."

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

SeattleParrotHead wrote:What BG said! I doubt that JB spends much time with the business stuff.... he's has "his people" work on that stuff.
I would certainly hope that he attends to what's going on with business interests and doesn't just leave it to someone else. It would appear that at this point of his career he's become content to coast (and not in a good way) at least from a live standpoint. At least he does make the effort to record new albums while some artists his age would rather succumb to nostalgia.

PeretHed66
Havana Daydreamin'
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbour
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Pacifico

Post by PeretHed66 »

Tiki Torches wrote:
SeattleParrotHead wrote:What BG said! I doubt that JB spends much time with the business stuff.... he's has "his people" work on that stuff.
I would certainly hope that he attends to what's going on with business interests and doesn't just leave it to someone else. It would appear that at this point of his career he's become content to coast (and not in a good way) at least from a live standpoint. At least he does make the effort to record new albums while some artists his age would rather succumb to nostalgia.
I do agree with Tiki in regards to how he handles business; he's always been a businessman, and I firmly believe he has his finger right on the pulse of what's going on in that aspect. In the "Jimmy Buffett Scrapbook" by Mark Humphrey, there's a story of Jimmy back in the day encountering a bellboy (I believe) at La Concha sitting on the front step playing guitar; Jimmy says he's a player as well, so the kid lets him play it and then takes it back from him telling him he's not much a of a player. Jimmy responds that may be true, but he's a poet and a businessman, and one day he'll hit it big while all the kid will ever be is a bellboy. I'll look it up for some attribution when I get home from work.

As far as coasting from a live standpoint, I agree in regards to his setlists; no reason to rehash that topic here, we all know what they look like these days. I would argue, though, that onstage, he does still give it his all and is not resting on his laurels - he and the CRB do put on an energetic, professional show.
More Doyle!

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

PeretHed66 wrote:
Tiki Torches wrote:
I do agree with Tiki in regards to how he handles business; he's always been a businessman, and I firmly believe he has his finger right on the pulse of what's going on in that aspect. In the "Jimmy Buffett Scrapbook" by Mark Humphrey, there's a story of Jimmy back in the day encountering a bellboy (I believe) at La Concha sitting on the front step playing guitar; Jimmy says he's a player as well, so the kid lets him play it and then takes it back from him telling him he's not much a of a player. Jimmy responds that may be true, but he's a poet and a businessman, and one day he'll hit it big while all the kid will ever be is a bellboy. I'll look it up for some attribution when I get home from work.
I also remember the story where either a member of his band or the press followed him back to his motel room after a show. As they eased the door opened, they expected to see a party scene with a room full of groupies. Instead, what they saw was Buffett counting out his take on his bed. Nothing the matter with that but it emphasizes the fact that he's more of a businessman and evidently always has been (this apparently took place fairly early on in his career when he was still playing clubs).
PeretHed66 wrote:As far as coasting from a live standpoint, I agree in regards to his setlists; no reason to rehash that topic here, we all know what they look like these days. I would argue, though, that onstage, he does still give it his all and is not resting on his laurels - he and the CRB do put on an energetic, professional show.
I've heard and read varying reports, quite a few of which have said he's phoning it in these days. If so, I'd rather not be witness to that. When and if he ever decides to downsize and get away from the heavy production values and props, I'd be far more interested in seeing that. Same for his setlists, which seem to vary very little. Shame for someone with such a huge catalog to perform pretty much the same show night in and night out. I'd love to see him take more of a chance on his audience but he seems to be convinced they wouldn't be up the challenge. Glad that never caused the Grateful Dead, Pearl Jam, Phish, Drive-By Truckers, Dylan, etc. to dumb down their setlists just to appease their fans.

PeretHed66
Havana Daydreamin'

Post by PeretHed66 »

Tiki Torches wrote:
PeretHed66 wrote:
Tiki Torches wrote:

I also remember the story where either a member of his band or the press followed him back to his motel room after a show. As they eased the door opened, they expected to see a party scene with a room full of groupies. Instead, what they saw was Buffett counting out his take on his bed. Nothing the matter with that but it emphasizes the fact that he's more of a businessman and evidently always has been (this apparently took place fairly early on in his career when he was still playing clubs).
PeretHed66 wrote:As far as coasting from a live standpoint, I agree in regards to his setlists; no reason to rehash that topic here, we all know what they look like these days. I would argue, though, that onstage, he does still give it his all and is not resting on his laurels - he and the CRB do put on an energetic, professional show.
I've heard and read varying reports, quite a few of which have said he's phoning it in these days. If so, I'd rather not be witness to that. When and if he ever decides to downsize and get away from the heavy production values and props, I'd be far more interested in seeing that. Same for his setlists, which seem to vary very little. Shame for someone with such a huge catalog to perform pretty much the same show night in and night out. I'd love to see him take more of a chance on his audience but he seems to be convinced they wouldn't be up the challenge. Glad that never caused the Grateful Dead, Pearl Jam, Phish, Drive-By Truckers, Dylan, etc. to dumb down their setlists just to appease their fans.
We go about once every year or so, and we still have a good time. I haven't seen him phoning it in performance-wise, and he's put the props to bed (thank God, no more of the infamous plastic ass). I don't mind the stage set, and his backscreen projections are top notch - Rush, my #1 band of all time, has incorporated some set pieces into their stage set over the past few tours, and their backscreen video work is in my eyes, the standard by which all are measured, and their last couple of tours were outstanding. My only gripe is with the setlists - and it's not so much the lack of variety night to night (again, Rush has a pretty standard set each night), but the variety from tour to tour and the over-the-top covers. I like a cool cover, but I think it should be unexpected and in small amounts. I know most of the BN crowd here hates the "Summertime Blues" cover, but I think that's exactly what a cover should be - something completely unexpected. As far as the number, well, that's been covered (no pun intended) ad nauseum. It's way too many, he's got way too much of his own stuff to choose from. "Brown Eyed Girl" and "Southern Cross", I get, they've been associated with him for a while. But the Zac Brown covers? Way off base and out of place. (And I like Zac Brown, a lot).
More Doyle!

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

Not a Zac Brown Band fan (though I do admire his outspokenness when it comes to the current state of country music) but going by his setlists, they also seem to be heavy on the covers. It's as though he hasn't graduated from the club scene and like Buffett, relies on them as a way of pandering to his audience. No, thanks. I'll pass. By the way, I'm not opposed to the occasional cover but when they weigh down your setlist as they do with Buffett these days, I have no interest in hearing that.

FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Ice Cold Loaded Landshark

Post by FinsUp6835 »

PeretHed66 wrote:
Tiki Torches wrote:
PeretHed66 wrote:
Tiki Torches wrote:

We go about once every year or so, and we still have a good time. I haven't seen him phoning it in performance-wise, and he's put the props to bed (thank God, no more of the infamous plastic ass). I don't mind the stage set, and his backscreen projections are top notch - Rush, my #1 band of all time, has incorporated some set pieces into their stage set over the past few tours, and their backscreen video work is in my eyes, the standard by which all are measured, and their last couple of tours were outstanding. My only gripe is with the setlists - and it's not so much the lack of variety night to night (again, Rush has a pretty standard set each night), but the variety from tour to tour and the over-the-top covers. I like a cool cover, but I think it should be unexpected and in small amounts. I know most of the BN crowd here hates the "Summertime Blues" cover, but I think that's exactly what a cover should be - something completely unexpected. As far as the number, well, that's been covered (no pun intended) ad nauseum. It's way too many, he's got way too much of his own stuff to choose from. "Brown Eyed Girl" and "Southern Cross", I get, they've been associated with him for a while. But the Zac Brown covers? Way off base and out of place. (And I like Zac Brown, a lot).
He is on Knee Deep with Zac Brown and makes him relevant to the younger crowd. All my students ( 9th grade) know JB because of that song. Hence why he plays it.

Free. I know they did on Crossroads. I love it. Man, it was our wedding song. I don't think he should be doing it every show. I was hoping he was going to cover Captain Jim's drunken dream.

As for him phoning it in. I disagree - he still goes out and plays 26-28 songs a night. The setlist is obviously what it is. Maybe it will change - maybe it wont
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.

PeretHed66
Havana Daydreamin'

Post by PeretHed66 »

Tiki Torches wrote:Not a Zac Brown Band fan (though I do admire his outspokenness when it comes to the current state of country music) but going by his setlists, they also seem to be heavy on the covers. It's as though he hasn't graduated from the club scene and like Buffett, relies on them as a way of pandering to his audience. No, thanks. I'll pass. By the way, I'm not opposed to the occasional cover but when they weigh down your setlist as they do with Buffett these days, I have no interest in hearing that.
The first couple of time we saw ZBB they weren't that cover-heavy; "Devil Went Down to Georgia" (which is seemingly permanent), "All Apologies" and "Sweet Emotion" (both acoustic). Those two work for me - completely unexpected. The setlists from the latest tour show that he has veered more in the Buffett direction; 7 covers total at one of the Fenway shows (not counting the "Into the Mystic" in "Free"). I will say that the covers were unexpected - "Shipping up to Boston", "Piano Man", "Comfortably Numb", "Never Even Called Me by my Name", "Black Water", and "Freeborn Man", but it's too many. I do like the Dropkick Murphys cover, very appropriate for the venue - and I would like to get hold of a boot to hear how they sound. They are a tight, tight band live - outstanding musicians, top to bottom.
More Doyle!

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

FinsUp6835 wrote:As for him phoning it in. I disagree - he still goes out and plays 26-28 songs a night. The setlist is obviously what it is. Maybe it will change - maybe it wont
The amount of songs isn't really an indication of whether someone's phoning it in or going through the motions or not, it's the quality of the material. Personally, I have no desire to hear that many covers especially when Buffett has as vast a catalog as he does, not to mention a new album to draw from.
PeretHed66 wrote:
Tiki Torches wrote:Not a Zac Brown Band fan (though I do admire his outspokenness when it comes to the current state of country music) but going by his setlists, they also seem to be heavy on the covers. It's as though he hasn't graduated from the club scene and like Buffett, relies on them as a way of pandering to his audience. No, thanks. I'll pass. By the way, I'm not opposed to the occasional cover but when they weigh down your setlist as they do with Buffett these days, I have no interest in hearing that.
The first couple of time we saw ZBB they weren't that cover-heavy; "Devil Went Down to Georgia" (which is seemingly permanent), "All Apologies" and "Sweet Emotion" (both acoustic). Those two work for me - completely unexpected. The setlists from the latest tour show that he has veered more in the Buffett direction; 7 covers total at one of the Fenway shows (not counting the "Into the Mystic" in "Free"). I will say that the covers were unexpected - "Shipping up to Boston", "Piano Man", "Comfortably Numb", "Never Even Called Me by my Name", "Black Water", and "Freeborn Man", but it's too many. I do like the Dropkick Murphys cover, very appropriate for the venue - and I would like to get hold of a boot to hear how they sound. They are a tight, tight band live - outstanding musicians, top to bottom.
I have no doubt he and his band are good musicians, I just haven't heard anything by him that trips my trigger. Then again, I'm a much bigger fan of alt.country. Zac doesn't really seem to fit into that mold.

PeretHed66
Havana Daydreamin'

Post by PeretHed66 »

Tiki Torches wrote: I have no doubt he and his band are good musicians, I just haven't heard anything by him that trips my trigger. Then again, I'm a much bigger fan of alt.country. Zac doesn't really seem to fit into that mold.
No worries, different strokes for different folks. I've dipped my toe into some of the non-popular country stuff, some of it grabs me, some doesn't. I think you first posted the Saving Country Music website, and I've been turned on to some cool stuff there; I generally agree with him regarding the state of today's country music (especially "bro-country"), though I do think he gets a little preachy sometimes, and I do like Eric Church a lot (and he takes a lot of grief on that site). Really like the new Sturgill Simpson disc, also the Jackson Taylor and the Sinners live disc which I both learned of through that site. Also picked up "Southeastern" based on feedback here and there, really like that as well, which is funny - I've got a handful of DBT discs (Alabama, SRO, Decoration Day, The Dirty South), they just don't grab me like the Isbell disc. Oh well.
More Doyle!

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

PeretHed66 wrote:
Tiki Torches wrote: I have no doubt he and his band are good musicians, I just haven't heard anything by him that trips my trigger. Then again, I'm a much bigger fan of alt.country. Zac doesn't really seem to fit into that mold.
No worries, different strokes for different folks. I've dipped my toe into some of the non-popular country stuff, some of it grabs me, some doesn't. I think you first posted the Saving Country Music website, and I've been turned on to some cool stuff there; I generally agree with him regarding the state of today's country music (especially "bro-country"), though I do think he gets a little preachy sometimes, and I do like Eric Church a lot (and he takes a lot of grief on that site). Really like the new Sturgill Simpson disc, also the Jackson Taylor and the Sinners live disc which I both learned of through that site. Also picked up "Southeastern" based on feedback here and there, really like that as well, which is funny - I've got a handful of DBT discs (Alabama, SRO, Decoration Day, The Dirty South), they just don't grab me like the Isbell disc. Oh well.
No surprise as Isbell has a much more accessible sound than the Truckers. Not sure if you follow the YouTube thread under the Related Artists section here but I post a good bit of music there. My favorite album so far this year is Somewhere Else by Lydia Loveless with the Truckers' English Oceans at a close second. I just posted Lydia's new NPR Tiny Desk concert in that thread yesterday which I would recommend checking out if you're liking some of this stuff. I'm about to post a couple tracks from the upcoming new Ryan Adams record. Definitely more rockin' than his last outing (Ashes & Fire).

***Edited to Add If you like Isbell, you might also enjoy the cover he and his wife Amanda have done of "Born In the U.S.A." for a new Springsteen tribute record, just don't expect the bombast of the original version. This is a stripped down, more somber version of the song. I posted it here.
Last edited by Tiki Torches on July 2, 2014 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle

Post by FinsUp6835 »

Tiki Torches wrote:
FinsUp6835 wrote:As for him phoning it in. I disagree - he still goes out and plays 26-28 songs a night. The setlist is obviously what it is. Maybe it will change - maybe it wont
The amount of songs isn't really an indication of whether someone's phoning it in or going through the motions or not, it's the quality of the material. Personally, I have no desire to hear that many covers especially when Buffett has as vast a catalog as he does, not to mention a new album to draw from.
PeretHed66 wrote:
I have no doubt he and his band are good musicians, I just haven't heard anything by him that trips my trigger. Then again, I'm a much bigger fan of alt.country. Zac doesn't really seem to fit into that mold.
You haven't been to a show in years? Watch mville tv and be the judge yourself.

Though, as mentioned- it's all about perspective
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

FinsUp6835 wrote:You haven't been to a show in years? Watch mville tv and be the judge yourself.

I have listened to Radio Margaritaville on occasion. Still not the same as actually being there but considering the cost of tickets, I feel my $$ have been more wisely spent elsewhere. For a whole lot of folks here, their musical world revolves around Buffett and similar island-themed music. I'm not one of them. Even though I love alt.country I also listen to lots of other kinds of music, a good deal of it current (both on record and in concert). That seems to be a real anomaly for a lot of folks my age (51) who have long since resigned themselves to nostalgia.

FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!

Post by FinsUp6835 »

Tiki Torches wrote:
FinsUp6835 wrote:You haven't been to a show in years? Watch mville tv and be the judge yourself.

I have listened to Radio Margaritaville on occasion. Still not the same as actually being there but considering the cost of tickets, I feel my $$ have been more wisely spent elsewhere. For a whole lot of folks here, their musical world revolves around Buffett and similar island-themed music. I'm not one of them. Even though I love alt.country I also listen to lots of other kinds of music, a good deal of it current (both on record and in concert). That seems to be a real anomaly for a lot of folks my age (51) who have long since resigned themselves to nostalgia.

Yawn...

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

FinsUp6835 wrote:
Tiki Torches wrote:

Yawn...
Which pretty much sums up why I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything by not having attended a Buffett show for close to 20 years.

ragtopW
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by ragtopW »

palmettopirate wrote:I couldn't care less about this and I don't know a thing about trademark law some maybe someone can explain. How does one take a couple common words and trademark it? It's like I could trademark the phrase "baseball bat" and nobody could touch it. BTW, the first time I heard landshark was in a the movie K9 with James Belushi when he referred to a German shepherd as a landshark. Margaritaville is a different story as it is an invented word. Just curious.
little Caesars trademarked the words "Pizza Pizza" in California years ago.. they caused at least one pizza joint to go out of business, they cost some people everything. those joints were in Business for years before little Caesars opened places in California...

ragtopW
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by ragtopW »

Tiki Torches wrote:
FinsUp6835 wrote:
Tiki Torches wrote:

Yawn...
didn't go to a show last year.. I took two young ladies to the Drive in show. they had a blast!!
it is fun to introduce the next generation to fun concerts, maybe they become Parrotheads maybe not
but I will never trade the memories for anything

Which pretty much sums up why I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything by not having attended a Buffett show for close to 20 years.

didn't go to a show last year.. I took two young ladies to the Drive in show. they had a blast!!
it is fun to introduce the next generation to fun concerts, maybe they become Parrotheads maybe not

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

ragtopW wrote:
Tiki Torches wrote:
FinsUp6835 wrote:
Tiki Torches wrote:

Yawn...

didn't go to a show last year.. I took two young ladies to the Drive in show. they had a blast!! it is fun to introduce the next generation to fun concerts, maybe they become Parrotheads maybe not but I will never trade the memories for anything
I have no doubt but I also have no regrets having spent my hard earned $$ elsewhere on concert experience that cost a whole lot less.

Rabbitz
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: Growing Older
Number of Concerts: 2
Favorite Boat Drink: Rhum and Pineapple

Post by Rabbitz »

Awww Geeeeeeez,

Can one of the anointed ones (mods :) ) please change the title of this thread from "Wow" to "Yawn, yet another sh1tfight about JB's business interests"?
Always be yourself
Unless you can be Batman
Then always be Batman