Ticket Prices

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

ragtopW
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0

Re: Ticket Prices

Post by ragtopW »

RinglingRingling wrote:
spucketts wrote:Just out of curiosity I checked several venues and at least the ones I looked at are not sold out, some not even close. (I looked for two tickets at Frisco, Raleigh, Charlotte, Tampa, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Atlanta, Mansfield.) No, the seats weren't right down front but you got in the door to see the show. Is it apathy or high ticket prices or is it something else?

it might be a combination of things:
a) Jimmy isn't the hottest ticket in town anymore, last couple albums have been marginal at best beyond the PH world especially
b) it's been pretty much the same show for 10 years. If you've seen (or heard via RM) two or three, it's really not worth the $ for the tickets, tho being gone for the tailgate and family reunion, yes.
c) while they haven't gone up incredibly since the last bump in 2006-2007, when his tickets jumped from $75 to $135/, it took a lot of the PHC members out of the game.
plus the whole "I'm getting older" and the Bucket list isn't getting that much shorter.
I spent two shows worth of Vacation and $$ in New Orleans with Mardi Gras.
last year it was a game at Texas A&M (not so much the $$ but the time)

also Travel prices (and time to get there) have gone to the totally ignorant from Boise. I can almost do Paris for less $$ than DC.. and it is within an hour of travel time

I can do a six day trip to Hong Kong for less than a lot of Jimmy Buffett shows so the Value isn't there for me
I do miss the crew. and want to figure out a way to do both but the real answer is.................. there are many many answers.

spucketts
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Favorite Buffett Song: Like I could pick just one
Number of Concerts: 18
Favorite Boat Drink: Frozen Margarita w salt, salt, salt

Post by spucketts »

RinglingRingling wrote:
spucketts wrote:Just out of curiosity I checked several venues and at least the ones I looked at are not sold out, some not even close. (I looked for two tickets at Frisco, Raleigh, Charlotte, Tampa, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Atlanta, Mansfield.) No, the seats weren't right down front but you got in the door to see the show. Is it apathy or high ticket prices or is it something else?

a) Jimmy isn't the hottest ticket in town anymore, last couple albums have been marginal at best beyond the PH world especially
b) it's been pretty much the same show for 10 years. If you've seen (or heard via RM) two or three, it's really not worth the $ for the tickets, tho being gone for the tailgate and family reunion, yes.
c) while they haven't gone up incredibly since the last bump in 2006-2007, when his tickets jumped from $75 to $135/, it took a lot of the PHC members out of the game.
I'm just trying to understand if this Atlanta show (I've been doing the parrothead thing since the mid 90's and only been to shows in Atlanta) is an anomaly or evolution. First off, it's never really been about the show itself, you're right its been the same for years. It's more about the whole event experience from planning the tailgate, to buying tropic related stuff, the day of painting the fin, to the day of the show, to the show itself. I always thought the $136 for a seat bought so much more than a place to sit. But what we're looking at this year with this smaller venue is a minimum of $150 for a lawn seat, $260-$280 for a seat and that seat isn't covered (when it rains here in the spring, it really rains). And there's no tailgating allowed, period. So with lagging ticket sales are we looking at more cities going this route, smaller venues with higher prices that allow only the few die-hard fans with deep pockets to attend?

urlcenter
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 6

Post by urlcenter »

spucketts wrote:
RinglingRingling wrote:

I'm just trying to understand if this Atlanta show (I've been doing the parrothead thing since the mid 90's and only been to shows in Atlanta) is an anomaly or evolution. First off, it's never really been about the show itself, you're right its been the same for years. It's more about the whole event experience from planning the tailgate, to buying tropic related stuff, the day of painting the fin, to the day of the show, to the show itself. I always thought the $136 for a seat bought so much more than a place to sit. But what we're looking at this year with this smaller venue is a minimum of $150 for a lawn seat, $260-$280 for a seat and that seat isn't covered (when it rains here in the spring, it really rains). And there's no tailgating allowed, period. So with lagging ticket sales are we looking at more cities going this route, smaller venues with higher prices that allow only the few die-hard fans with deep pockets to attend?
No one seems to know why Jimmy bypassed his usual Atlanta venue this year for the smaller more expensive Chastain Park. The only other new venue this year is the Bethel Woods Center For The Arts in Bethel NY tickets for that show are $51.50 and $169.50. What makes the moving of the Atlanta show even stranger is that the usual location for the show Lakewood/Aarons Amphitheater has nothing scheduled for the night Jimmy is at Chastain Park?