Chicago venue riles up the Parrotheads

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

urlcenter
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 6

Re: Chicago venue riles up the Parrotheads

Post by urlcenter »

BottleofRum wrote:I seen Buffett a few times in the 90's at Tinley Park and each time the whole experience was shady. They would say one thing one day then something else a week later. They would say the lot would open at a certain time then when people arrived at that time they wouldn't let anyone in. One year they said no pop up tens allowed in the lot then they let some in and some they didn't. It appears the same BS is happening at a new venue. It must be a Chicago thing.
They are not restricting what people can have in the lots to tailgate with the restrictions are for once you enter the venue. The bigger issue has been the sudden and serious change in the parking policy which was changed after all of the tickets to tonight's Buffett show were sold. When people bought tickets the day they went on sale (4/1/13) parking was supposedly included in the price of the ticket, which for pavilion seats was $158 per ticket with fees included, lawn tickets were much less expensive. Many people also bought VIP parking via Live Nation for $30 per car only to see that price bumped up $19 after the fact.

Seems to me like this Buffett has been turned into a grab for the green and I am not talking about Lime Margaritas.

Nighthawk
I gotta go where it's warm
Favorite Buffett Song: Defying Gravity
Number of Concerts: 29
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum with a splash of coke

Post by Nighthawk »

Those who had to pay $30 bucks to park should feel privileged that it wasn't more. I know for Bears games in the same lots parking is over $60 for a single CAR. And there isn't no "shuttle" either. You walk or you don't go in.
Did you hear the one about me being a punk?
Did you hear the one about me being a drunk?
Did you hear the one about me losing my nerve?
Or how I'm just another f**** sheep in the herd?
Did you hear the one about me giving a s***?
Cause if I ever did I don't remember it.

urlcenter
Hoot!

Post by urlcenter »

Nighthawk wrote:Those who had to pay $30 bucks to park should feel privileged that it wasn't more. I know for Bears games in the same lots parking is over $60 for a single CAR. And there isn't no "shuttle" either. You walk or you don't go in.
The issue was that it was more then the advertised $30 that people had paid when they bought VIP parking through Live Nation when the tickets went on sale

jbfinscj
Lester Polyester
Favorite Buffett Song: Floridays, Tin Cup Chalice, Prince of Tides, Tides, Earles Dead
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Coconut Rum

Post by jbfinscj »

Saltx3 wrote:still sounds a lot like our Jiffy Lube Live tailgating debacle of 2011.
For the last time Linda that was all a dream. Jiffy Lube live is the neatest most bestest venue in the whole wide world. It's where beer is free and jimmy performs half the show in the lawn!
I'm back to livin' Floridays
Blue skies and ultra-violet rays

Saltx3
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 22
Favorite Boat Drink: MARGARITA, FIREBALL WHISKEY

Post by Saltx3 »

jbfinscj wrote:
Saltx3 wrote:still sounds a lot like our Jiffy Lube Live tailgating debacle of 2011.
For the last time Linda that was all a dream. Jiffy Lube live is the neatest most bestest venue in the whole wide world. It's where beer is free and jimmy performs half the show in the lawn!

OOOOO...my bad [smilie=cheeky-grin.gif]
SALT, SALT, SALT/Linda

parrothappy
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Migration, Biloxi, Door Number 3, City of New Orleans
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita, of course

Post by parrothappy »

http://www.wbez.org/blogs/jim-derogatis ... nue-107905

The quotes below are from the above listed link from Jim DeRogatis' article written today, July 1.

"Readers who haven’t followed developments in the concert industry over the last decade may wonder why, aside from questions of political nepotism, Live Nation is a less than ideal partner for the Park District.

The short answer: Since its merger with the reviled and monopolistic ticket broker Ticketmaster, the giant corporation has sought to corner the concert market, stamping out all competition while consistently increasing the price of tickets and decreasing the concertgoer’s experience in terms of comfort and, some say, safety."

That is the Chicago Park District when it refers to "Park District".

The second paragraph sums up what all of us have experienced in the last few years with the lethal combination of Ticketmaster and Live Nation. I would say Jim's assessment correctly sums up the situation most of us experienced at Northerly Island on Saturday night.
"The 4th of July, alright. Happy Birthday America. How much beer do you think was drunk in America today......two six-packs...three?"

Jimmy on July 4th, 1980 in Minneapolis

SunLover
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: The next show I capture
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by SunLover »

urlcenter wrote:
Nighthawk wrote:Those who had to pay $30 bucks to park should feel privileged that it wasn't more. I know for Bears games in the same lots parking is over $60 for a single CAR. And there isn't no "shuttle" either. You walk or you don't go in.
The issue was that it was more then the advertised $30 that people had paid when they bought VIP parking through Live Nation when the tickets went on sale
They should have honored the original $30 price since the event already had tickets sold. They could charge the new over priced rate on future events that have not even had tickets posted for sale.

Even though the venue changed their name and/or owners, that was not right.

urlcenter
Hoot!

Post by urlcenter »

SunLover wrote:
urlcenter wrote:
They should have honored the original $30 price since the event already had tickets sold. They could charge the new over priced rate on future events that have not even had tickets posted for sale.

Parking was supposed to be included in the price of every ticket sold the $30 was for special VIP parking. Instead parking fees ranged from $40 to $120 depending on vehicle size.

SunLover
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: The next show I capture
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by SunLover »

urlcenter wrote:
SunLover wrote:
urlcenter wrote:

Parking was supposed to be included in the price of every ticket sold the $30 was for special VIP parking. Instead parking fees ranged from $40 to $120 depending on vehicle size.
That's what I mean. The original prices should have been grandfathered in since the tix were sold under the old venue name.

Clearly, this venue still has a lot of details to work through.

looking4OPH
License to Chill
Favorite Buffett Song: Livingston Saturday Night
Number of Concerts: 8
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita (frozen, salt); drink, repeat

Post by looking4OPH »

rmissbrook wrote: And then I started reading about all the hassle with the various parking areas and backed out. I don't mind wandering around the Great Woods parking lots by myself but did not want to try that in the area where this concert is being held. Hope Jimmy goes back to one of the other sites next year.
As a Chicago local, I too was skeptical about parking issues, but put it aside. Yes, it was a hike. Yes, it was raining when the concert let out and we had the long walk back. But frankly, it was no worse than I've done before at Alpine slogging through the wet fields. I was fortunate not to have had the "lawn people" (Jimmy's term, not making light) troubles.

And it is amazing how legend and folklore can come from uninformed comments. I would never hesitate walking in the area where this concert is being held. It is the museum campus after all. Although Soldier Field, Burham Harbor, and McCorkmick Place are also there, the intellectuals, boaters, expo attendees, and sports fans all seem to get along together just fine in "the area".