Chicago venue riles up the Parrotheads

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

urlcenter
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 6

Chicago venue riles up the Parrotheads

Post by urlcenter »

As most of you maybe aware, Jimmy is playing a new venue (new for him) in Chicago tonight. When the show was announced the venue was being called Charter One Pavilion at Northerly Island. Charter One is the name of a bank with branches in the Chicago area. Tickets for Jimmy show which happens tonight went on sale on April 1, 2013 and sold out quite quickly as is usually the case for Jimmy's shows. As usual when the tickets went on sale parking was included in the ticket price. Some parking was advertised at a modest price of $20.00 right after tickets when on sale. VIP parking was also sold via Live Nation for $30 per car.

However at some point between April 1, 2013 and June 1, 2013 The name of the venue changed to First Merit Pavilion and policies for Jimmy's show were changed and now there are additional parking fees being imposed check out the newly imposed fees:

Parking between 2:30 pm-4:30 pm:
Adler (VIP) Lot: $49
East Lot: $49
South Lot Oversize: $120
South Lot Car: $40
Waldron Deck Car: $40
31st Street Oversize: $60
31st Street Car: $30

There are only two areas near the venue that are not charging and still enforcing the "Parking Included in the Ticket Prices"

Parking was not the only policy changed, there were also changes to what can an cannot be brought into the venue. One item that was allowed when tickets went on sales were lawn chairs however they are no longer allowed under the new policy.

I have spent some time on the venue 's FB page and there are some pretty angry Parrothead's in Chi-Town today over all this and hopefully this venue will be one time thing for Jimmy. His fans do not deserve to be treated like this after already spending hard earned money on tickets for this show.
Last edited by urlcenter on June 29, 2013 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Re: Chicago venue riles up the Parrotheads

Post by lime rickie »

:evil: :x :evil: :x
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

urlcenter
Hoot!

Post by urlcenter »

I should have mentioned in my post that apparently people who bought VIP parking for this show through Live Nation have to pay an additional $19 to park

rmissbrook
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: The one I just heard
Favorite Boat Drink: Spiced Rum & Orange Juice

Post by rmissbrook »

Well I guess I am glad I did not try and go by myself to this concert. Friends were going to go with me and had to back out. But since I have gone to a number of other concerts by myself I was going to go anyway. And then I started reading about all the hassle with the various parking areas and backed out. I don't mind wandering around the Great Woods parking lots by myself but did not want to try that in the area where this concert is being held. Hope Jimmy goes back to one of the other sites next year.

Chicago - June 28, 2014 (bringing 2 Buffett virgins!)

Hugs, Kay

Life is just a water ballet...

spark26981
I have found me a home
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by spark26981 »

This is only the second concert at this venue...the first was last night. I think we need to give the venue a big of a break as they work out the kinks and deal with the laws and regulations they need to adhere to.

The area where the concert is is one of the safest areas in Chicago so wandering around wont be a problem.

It might not be the usual tailgate experience...but I am so far living the atmosphere on the pier and having a great day! And I hope this will be jimmys home when he comes to Chicago for years to come.

urlcenter
Hoot!

Post by urlcenter »

spark26981 wrote:This is only the second concert at this venue...the first was last night. I think we need to give the venue a big of a break as they work out the kinks and deal with the laws and regulations they need to adhere to.

The area where the concert is is one of the safest areas in Chicago so wandering around wont be a problem.

It might not be the usual tailgate experience...but I am so far living the atmosphere on the pier and having a great day! And I hope this will be jimmys home when he comes to Chicago for years to come.
What has Buffett fans upset is the sudden change in parking prices from what was stated the day tickets went on sale. If I had payed $30 for a VIP parking pass through live nation and then found the price went up after the fact I would not be pleased

surfpirate
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: African Friend
Number of Concerts: 98

Post by surfpirate »

urlcenter wrote:
spark26981 wrote:This is only the second concert at this venue...the first was last night. I think we need to give the venue a big of a break as they work out the kinks and deal with the laws and regulations they need to adhere to.

What has Buffett fans upset is the sudden change in parking prices from what was stated the day tickets went on sale. If I had payed $30 for a VIP parking pass through live nation and then found the price went up after the fact I would not be pleased
Yup. Very much like what Jiffy Lube did in 2011.
Rigid tailgating enforcement changes were not made clear
until well AFTER the tickets were sold.
No way you will ever convince me that wasn't their plan all along.
"There are no stupid questions. But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots."
BNCRITTERS.COM | TWITTER | FACEBOOK | SURF SHOP |

urlcenter
Hoot!

Post by urlcenter »

surfpirate wrote:
urlcenter wrote:

Yup. Very much like what Jiffy Lube did in 2011.
Rigid tailgating enforcement changes were not made clear
until well AFTER the tickets were sold.
No way you will ever convince me that wasn't their plan all along.
JLL was not fully responsible for those changes the local PD where that venue is located made them change things due to the death of a concert goer in 2010. You are right that the changes came after the tickets were sold but the changes were not just for Jimmy's show it was for all shows at JLL.

What has many Parrotheads upset in Chicago is different, it's all about the sudden increase in parking fees and other changes related to what can be brought into the venue. Tailgating is being allowed Chicago with very few restrictions unlike JLL

Nighthawk
I gotta go where it's warm
Favorite Buffett Song: Defying Gravity
Number of Concerts: 29
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum with a splash of coke

Post by Nighthawk »

How this surprises anyone makes me laugh. It is Chicago. The same city where the motto's are Vote early and often, and You don't like the weather... wait 15 minutes its bound to change. Typical Chicago.
Did you hear the one about me being a punk?
Did you hear the one about me being a drunk?
Did you hear the one about me losing my nerve?
Or how I'm just another f**** sheep in the herd?
Did you hear the one about me giving a s***?
Cause if I ever did I don't remember it.

urlcenter
Hoot!

Post by urlcenter »

Nighthawk wrote:How this surprises anyone makes me laugh. It is Chicago. The same city where the motto's are Vote early and often, and You don't like the weather... wait 15 minutes its bound to change. Typical Chicago.
People were definitely surprised who are attending this show and they are not happy at all based on the comments on the venue's FB page.

TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

urlcenter wrote:

wouldn't it be illegal if you already paid for the parking , and it changed. I would think a law suite would be pending.

urlcenter
Hoot!

Post by urlcenter »

TommyBahama wrote:
urlcenter wrote:

wouldn't it be illegal if you already paid for the parking , and it changed. I would think a law suite would be pending.
There is in fact some chatter on the venue's FB about a possible class action lawsuit and apparently the issue made a local Chicago newscast or newscasts the other day. It's more then just the parking that has attendees of this particular show upset, apparently the venue also changed it's policy on bringing lawn chairs into the venue. When tickets went on sale posted information indicated lawn chairs no higher then 9 inches of the ground would be allowed in for use on the venue's lawn area. However that policy was also removed and now those who have lawn seats can only bring in blankets to sit on. Other items not being allowed in are umbrellas, strollers and glow sticks!

TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

urlcenter wrote:
TommyBahama wrote:
urlcenter wrote:

There is in fact some chatter on the venue's FB about a possible class action lawsuit and apparently the issue made a local Chicago newscast or newscasts the other day. It's more then just the parking that has attendees of this particular show upset, apparently the venue also changed it's policy on bringing lawn chairs into the venue. When tickets went on sale posted information indicated lawn chairs no higher then 9 inches of the ground would be allowed in for use on the venue's lawn area. However that policy was also removed and now those who have lawn seats can only bring in blankets to sit on. Other items not being allowed in are umbrellas, strollers and glow sticks!
glow sticks????....most of he venues i've been to , don't allow lawn chairs in. I don't think i've ever seen a baby stroller at a show. I'm sure that couldn't be brought to a seat.Umbrellas i understand , block the view of others , and it can be used as a weapon( yes there are people stupid enough to use it as one, alcohol does strange things to people)

surfpirate
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: African Friend
Number of Concerts: 98

Post by surfpirate »

urlcenter wrote:JLL was not fully responsible for those changes the local PD where that venue is located made them change things due to the death of a concert goer in 2010. You are right that the changes came after the tickets were sold but the changes were not just for Jimmy's show it was for all shows at JLL.

What has many Parrotheads upset in Chicago is different, it's all about the sudden increase in parking fees and other changes related to what can be brought into the venue. Tailgating is being allowed Chicago with very few restrictions unlike JLL
Not true. Jiffy Lube Live banned pre-concert gatherings after consulting with area residents and police.

“It’s their decision,” said Sgt. Kim Chinn of the Prince William County police. “We support their policy, certainly. We want to keep the people safe.”
"There are no stupid questions. But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots."
BNCRITTERS.COM | TWITTER | FACEBOOK | SURF SHOP |

urlcenter
Hoot!

Post by urlcenter »

TommyBahama wrote:
urlcenter wrote:
TommyBahama wrote:
urlcenter wrote:

glow sticks????....most of he venues i've been to , don't allow lawn chairs in. I don't think i've ever seen a baby stroller at a show. I'm sure that couldn't be brought to a seat.Umbrellas i understand , block the view of others , and it can be used as a weapon( yes there are people stupid enough to use it as one, alcohol does strange things to people)
Some Live Nation venues, where space permits, do allow lawn chairs but not all of them as for the umbrellas there are compact ones that can fit in a purse or backpack but I see your point about alcohol and blocking peoples view.

The point is that a number of Parrotheads bought tickets to this show based on what was posted the day tickets went on sale and now they feel as if they have had the rug pulled out from under them especially where the parking issues are concerned

ejr
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by ejr »

rmissbrook wrote:Well I guess I am glad I did not try and go by myself to this concert. Friends were going to go with me and had to back out. But since I have gone to a number of other concerts by myself I was going to go anyway. And then I started reading about all the hassle with the various parking areas and backed out. I don't mind wandering around the Great Woods parking lots by myself but did not want to try that in the area where this concert is being held. Hope Jimmy goes back to one of the other sites next year.
Just some of the reasons why I decided a long time ago that I would skip this one--as someone who does struggle with some mobility issues, I had concerns, and didn't want to be at the first large concert at the venue. Let them work out the kinks and decide if this is where he is staying and I may reconsider, but the logistics for this place trouble me. Hope to be proven wrong, but we shall see. and, I would miss the idea of one big tailgate at the venue--seems like people are all over the place today.
"I finally know what Michael Jordan was talking about when he said he was 'in the zone'"
Jimmy Buffett, 9/4/05, Wrigley Field

LiveandletLiver
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Favorite Buffett Song: I'll get back to you on this
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Diet Coke (sucks don't it)

Post by LiveandletLiver »

I've noticed a trend by many arenas to restrict the all out partying that JB tailgates are famous for.

I blame lawyers. :roll:

BottleofRum
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris: It's My Job
Favorite Boat Drink: Barbancourt Rhum

Post by BottleofRum »

I seen Buffett a few times in the 90's at Tinley Park and each time the whole experience was shady. They would say one thing one day then something else a week later. They would say the lot would open at a certain time then when people arrived at that time they wouldn't let anyone in. One year they said no pop up tens allowed in the lot then they let some in and some they didn't. It appears the same BS is happening at a new venue. It must be a Chicago thing.
- - “If it doesn't work out there will never be any doubt that the pleasure was worth all the pain.”

Saltx3
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 22
Favorite Boat Drink: MARGARITA, FIREBALL WHISKEY

Post by Saltx3 »

still sounds a lot like our Jiffy Lube Live tailgating debacle of 2011.
SALT, SALT, SALT/Linda

ejr
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by ejr »

BottleofRum wrote:I seen Buffett a few times in the 90's at Tinley Park and each time the whole experience was shady. They would say one thing one day then something else a week later. They would say the lot would open at a certain time then when people arrived at that time they wouldn't let anyone in. One year they said no pop up tens allowed in the lot then they let some in and some they didn't. It appears the same BS is happening at a new venue. It must be a Chicago thing.
Toyota Park was great........until the power went out on stage two years ago
"I finally know what Michael Jordan was talking about when he said he was 'in the zone'"
Jimmy Buffett, 9/4/05, Wrigley Field