Nissan Show Grades

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

Carolinadreamin'
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 42
Favorite Boat Drink: Painkiller

Nissan Show Grades

Post by Carolinadreamin' »

Hey Gumbo - We went to both the Charlotte and Nissan shows. At the Charlotte show, it started raining as soon as JB walked on stage and never stopped. By the end we were soaking wet and 1/2 frozen - of course we had a great time anyway. The tailgating was awesome.
So now at Nissan it was hot as hell, we ate very little and basically had a few beers and lots of water and we still had a good time.

I agree with Fins21. The parking situation does stink. But don't let that ruin seeing JB. Life's WAY TOO SHORT!! :D
'17-CHS
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Pinot Noir in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO"

Gumbo
If we weren't all crazy ...
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by Gumbo »

The parking situation definitely didn't ruin the show. It ruined tailgaiting, but we still had a great time in the show. My in-laws enjoyed the show (only regrets were they couldn't tailgate and they didn't get to do Fins). Buffett was great and we enjoyed that. However, its a 6.5 hr. drive to DC. Took 4 hours to get to venue from 20 miles away. Makes for a very long day. There won't be a next time at Nissan. Its just too big of a hastle. It didn't ruin Buffett for me, it ruined Nissan.

Buffett has been great both times I've seen him at Nissan. But he's been just as good in my opinion when I've seen him in Gboro, Columbia, and Charlotte.

Docktails at 5
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Woman Going Crazy On Caroline Street
Number of Concerts: 12
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum & Soda

Post by Docktails at 5 »

I thought Jimmy was more pumped up at this show than I had seen in a while.
As for the parking and getting out of the show, it sucked. Since this is my third concert at Nissan, I've just learned that getting in and out will always s*** no matter what, so I just kind of go with the flow.
The only good thing about the heat was that it made me kind of dehydrated, so I didn't have to go to the bathrooms during the concert and miss any of the show.
I went to Charlotte in June and froze, now came to Nissan and melted. But I'll take the heat over the cold any day.
Coast Of Carolina

phjrsaunt
Social Buffettfly
Social Buffettfly
Favorite Buffett Song: Defying Gravity
Number of Concerts: 21
Favorite Boat Drink: coconut rum and...anything!

Post by phjrsaunt »

Docktails at 5 wrote:I thought Jimmy was more pumped up at this show than I had seen in a while.
As for the parking and getting out of the show, it sucked. Since this is my third concert at Nissan, I've just learned that getting in and out will always s*** no matter what, so I just kind of go with the flow.
The only good thing about the heat was that it made me kind of dehydrated, so I didn't have to go to the bathrooms during the concert and miss any of the show. I went to Charlotte in June and froze, now came to Nissan and melted. But I'll take the heat over the cold any day.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My love is staying an anchor tied to you with that silver chain.

fltfixer
Southeast of disorder

Post by fltfixer »

I thought Nissan was a BLAST. Yes, the heat sucked and yes, traffic was bad: but we just waited out the flow, ate some munchies, and then crused on back home(hotel). I agree that Jimmy seemed more pumped for this show; I think he was truely appreciative of all that the fans went through and it came through in his performance. Great concert, good time, definitely next year!(AGAIN) :D :lol: :D :lol:
Leap, and the net will appear

Hockey Mon
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Anything with a guitar in it
Favorite Boat Drink: The one that's free
Location: On the far side of the Washington Capitals rink in VA

Post by Hockey Mon »

I thought things were a bit more subdued this year, probably due to the heat. Then again, it could have been me; I had a lot less to drink this year than in years past. :)

And yes, traffic is just silly. I remember when they opened Nissan and that was the big complaint. I thought they said they were going to do something about it. Obviously they haven't.

Here is a shortcut for future travels to Nissan. When you are on 66, take exit 47A which is (I think) 234 Business. Take a right at the second light -Balls Ford Road. Follow this for a while (you will pass Prince William Parkway). Take a right onto Wellington and follow that in. You still hit traffic on 66 but this enables you to get off the highway sooner. I left my house in Herndon at 3:35 PM and parked the car in the parking lot at 4:45 PM.
Twenty degrees and the hockey games on...

FunkHouse9
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Nautical Wheelers
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: Crown Royal & Ginger Ale

Intermission Song & Nissan Traffic RANT!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by FunkHouse9 »

:D
Do any of you know what the song was that played during the intermission with along with the video on the screens? I didn't know the song, but loved it. It had a nostalgic/reminiscent feel to it. I really loved it.... and will be a little embarassed if it is on an album I own.

:x
Now time for the rant....... I left Rockville at 4:30 for Nissan. I got off of 66 at 6:00. Not bad for rush hour, especially on a Buffett Show day. I wasn't thrilled about the slight delay on the highway, but saw they are widening 66, so I know someone somewhere is trying. The fun stops here.

:-?
I got off 66 at exit 43B went along the ramp and made the left onto 29. After sitting eternally to reach the let turn at the gas station where the ticket scalpers live (you know the one), we were instead directed by police to go straight. We went about 2 lights down and made a left and then another left, coming around behind the Target and straight down the road to the Pavilion. This route of probably 2 miles or less took us 2 hours. When we arrived in front of the pavilion and still could not get in the lot, I made a U-turn and parked on the road under the no parking sign. I got out of my car and heard "Hot Hot Hot" starting. By the time I made it to my seats, they were on their 3rd song. :evil:

First... thank god I left when I did or I'd have missed it all. Having said that, I would have been understanding if there had been a tragedy somewhere along the way. Well, I guess there was a tragedy.... the stupidity of whover is in charge fo the traffic. It makes me want to never return to Nissan ever again. Had it been a car accident or a fire or a meteor shower, fine. It did make me feel better to call Nissan and voice my displeasure several times during my two mile expedition. I would have thought that things would get better with the new road(s), but they got exponentially worse. had I returned to my car with a parking ticket on it, my rant would have been directed to city hall instead of you, my fellow parrotheads and traffic victims.

And what's with Ticketmaster charging a $15 service charge for Buffett seats when the lawns had a $10 service charge? Shouldn't the s/c be the same? Does it cost them more to print a seat ticket?

Sorry. I had to vent. I'd love to know that intermission song if anyone knows the name.

VaBusa

Best show ever...

Post by VaBusa »

First, we had coolers stolen from Nissan a couple of years back, so we know now to lock up everything if you can...can't help that there will always be people there that don't respect others' property. I know there are plenty at a Buffett show that aren't really in to Buffett, so the parking lot wasn't full of just fans, but opportunists :(

I have seen Jimmy 18 times now...that was the best show yet!!! Amazing set list, I loved that I could hear him telling stories for a change, the crowd was really in to it (lawn people rule) and when he did Southern Cross, I got the usual goose bumps on my arms that I always get...that show never gets old and this year was tops! 8)
Michelle

angelb
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by angelb »

bravedave wrote:
phjrsaunt wrote:I phorgot to ask earlier:
When Jimmy said something about some people had come to the show from Charlottesville, there was an audible "booo/hiss" thing through the crowd.
Maybe it's a basketball thing?
(We're big George Mason fans up here in Yankee country.)
:lol:
My guess is that it's the UVa/Virginia Tech rivalry.

pleiades03
I need two more boat drinks
Number of Concerts: 99

Post by pleiades03 »

Had a great time at Nissan, as always. Yes, the heat took away from the tailgating aspect a little. Didn't walk around as much to see the sights. Still enjoyed going up to the hill and hearing the Calypso Nuts, love those guys. Especially cool when Tall Paul and Crawdaddy jammed with them. Also got to hang out some with DJ Jeff and the DC club. Another extra treat was getting to hear Capt. Quint at the side stage. Thought the show was great. Jimmy and the band were really into it. The heat didn't seem to bother them much. We had club pavilion seats and it was stifling in there. Had no problem getting in or out of the parking lot. Got there a little after noon and made it back to the hotel a little after midnight. As to the stolen coolers, you got to remember there's a lot of "partyheads" around. An unguarded cooler is a like a gift from above to underage punks.
Love in the library, quiet and cool.

goodtime_mo
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Pacing the Cage
Number of Concerts: 44
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojo

Nissan Show Grades

Post by goodtime_mo »

This is was my 10th show at Nissan, 19th overall and definitely the most frustrating of them all.
As we always do, stayed at what now is the Quality Inn, four miles from Nissan. Decided to PRE-FLIGHT at the hotel rather that be out in the heat so long.
Left the hotel at 6 and here's where I screwed up. Instead of taking us straight down Balls Ford Road, I took us up on to 66 and then off on 29. We experienced what a couple of people on this thread have already mentioned. We couldn't turn left on to Wellington Road from 29. Had to go up past it, turn around and come back.
In years past, going that way was never an issue. Part of the problem is the Prince William County police.
Finally got parked somewhere next to Winchester about 8:35. Missed all but the last three songs of the first set.
What we saw of the show was awesome. One of the best I've seen and one of the few I've seen stone cold sober. Jimmy was very energetic, animated and very excited about the intensity level of the crowd.
Getting in to Nissan was never an issue. We all know it's an issue getting out. The crew I go with have all accepted that and we look forward to relaxing in the parking lot after the show is over to let things clear out a bit. Got back to the hotel about 1:20AM, which is about the norm.
Apparently, once they get this new traffic pattern firgured out, it's supposed to be better. I will say, I stay away from there unless JB is in town.
:D
VA BEACH (97,16), BRISTOW (98-12, 15, 17,18), NASHVILLE (99, 17), COLUMBIA, MD (00), GREENSBORO (01-02), RALEIGH (03), ANTIOCH, TN (03), CHULA VISTA (04), PHILADELPHIA (05), LAS VEGAS (06-16), HOUSTON (07), ATLANTIC CITY (07), FRISCO, TX (08).

Jill54
Gypsies in the palace
Favorite Buffett Song: A Pirate Looks at Forty
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita-of course!!

Post by Jill54 »

angelb wrote:
bravedave wrote:
phjrsaunt wrote:I phorgot to ask earlier:
When Jimmy said something about some people had come to the show from Charlottesville, there was an audible "booo/hiss" thing through the crowd.
Maybe it's a basketball thing?
(We're big George Mason fans up here in Yankee country.)
:lol:
My guess is that it's the UVa/Virginia Tech rivalry.

As a Hokie, I would have to agree. There are tons of Hokie alumni in NOVA
What would Jimmy Buffett do?

hambone00
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by hambone00 »

This was my 3rd show but the first one at nissan. We normally go to the pittsburgh show. I have to say this was the best show i have ever seen. I also think the tailgating was way better at nissan, even with all the police officers.

I also wanted to introduce myself since i am new here. I am 28 and live near Harrisburg Pa. I visit this site every day for about 7 or 8 months now, i just never posted anything before. I, like everyone else here, am a huge Buffett fan. I just get so much enjoyment out of his music its kind of addicting. All my buddys dont quite get the whole Buffett thing but i am always working on that. The first year was two of us then last year was 7 and this year we had 16, cant wait till next years concert.
He's on his third drink before the wheels of the plane leave the ground.

bravedave
At the Bama Breeze

Post by bravedave »

hambone00 wrote:This was my 3rd show but the first one at nissan. We normally go to the pittsburgh show. I have to say this was the best show i have ever seen. I also think the tailgating was way better at nissan, even with all the police officers.

I also wanted to introduce myself since i am new here. I am 28 and live near Harrisburg Pa. I visit this site every day for about 7 or 8 months now, i just never posted anything before. I, like everyone else here, am a huge Buffett fan. I just get so much enjoyment out of his music its kind of addicting. All my buddys dont quite get the whole Buffett thing but i am always working on that. The first year was two of us then last year was 7 and this year we had 16, cant wait till next years concert.
Welcome aboard, hb.
Always good to see a new face.
Finzup to all your phriends, too.
“Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world.”
- Kaiser Welhelm

"The call is a loud wulli-wulli, and there is much twittering at the drinking holes."

pleiades03

Post by pleiades03 »

hambone00 wrote:I, like everyone else here, am a huge Buffett fan. I just get so much enjoyment out of his music its kind of addicting. All my buddys dont quite get the whole Buffett thing but i am always working on that.
hambone-- if you want to hang out with some fun folks that "get the whole Buffett thing," come to the Underdog on Paxton St in Harrisburg tonight at 7PM. Amish Parrothead club meeting. Tropical Soul is playing. More info at http://www.amishparrotheads.com/

MDShark70
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbor
Number of Concerts: 90
Favorite Boat Drink: The one in my hand
Location: Southeast of Disorder, Near the Port of Indecision, so you know, Maryland

Post by MDShark70 »

We got there early (noon on the dot) and got right in. Every year we've been there the early parking has always been through the second entrance. We got parked and saw there was still some space up in the "tree island' outside the front gates. We grabbed our canopies and sprinted to stake our claim! Easily 15 degrees cooler not setting up in the parking lot. We dealt with the heat with lots of water, some adult beverages and our super soakers!

The show was one of the best I've seen him do in quite a while. We saw JB in Pittsburgh and the energy at Nissan was so much higher; both the crowd and Jimmy and the band.

We walked out after the last song, everybody grabbed a drink and we literally drove right out. We usually get home around 2:30 am and we made it at 1 this year. Once onto Wellington Road we were only stopped once by the police for about 30 seconds to let some cars cross. The new road they've built seemed to help a lot. But that was just my experience.

We actually saw fewer police during our tailgating than usual. I personally have zero problem with the police telling me what to do. They practically let us get away with murder so if they want it in a cup, that's cool. I'm sure Nissan has to show somebody, probably their insurance carier that they are making an effort to control the activities that go on. The last thing we want is somebody doing something really dumb where they get hurt or even killed and then the fun is over for everybody. That's my $0.02.

hambone00
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by hambone00 »

pleiades03....... Thank you very much for the invite i wish i could go but i have to work tonight. I see on your website you guys meet the second thursday of every month so i will have to take off work for next month. Is anyone welcome or do i have to be a member of your club? Sounds like a great time. Thanks again

pleiades03

Post by pleiades03 »

hambone00 wrote:pleiades03....... Thank you very much for the invite i wish i could go but i have to work tonight. I see on your website you guys meet the second thursday of every month so i will have to take off work for next month. Is anyone welcome or do i have to be a member of your club? Sounds like a great time. Thanks again
hambone-- anyone can show up. The bar stays open to the public. One section of seating is reserved for the club but we pretty much fill up the whole place. Tropical Soul usually plays. There's a few announcements about club events and such and raffles. Underdogs is a pretty cool place. They have good food. Hope you can make it in September.

hambone00
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by hambone00 »

pleiades03.... I will be there in sept. for sure. Thanks again.

TinCup4aChalice
Southeast of disorder

Re: Intermission Song & Nissan Traffic RANT!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by TinCup4aChalice »

FunkHouse9 wrote::D
Do any of you know what the song was that played during the intermission with along with the video on the screens? I didn't know the song, but loved it. It had a nostalgic/reminiscent feel to it. I really loved it.... and will be a little embarassed if it is on an album I own.
Was it "Here We Are"?....that was the song played during the video at the show in Charlotte.

Discussion of the song and lyrics here:
http://www.buffettnews.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47889
Salt air it ain't thin,
It can stick right to your skin,
And make you feel fine

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor.
– Mr Twain