Nissan Show Grades

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

Fins21
I need two more boat drinks
Number of Concerts: 0

Nissan Show Grades

Post by Fins21 »

I was at the Nissan Show and was just wondering what everyone else thought of the show. I compiled a survey type list of things that would all tie into making one GREAT Buffett show. Lets see how you score the show!

Tailgating: C+ (Lost of life, but unbelievably hot!)
Crowd: A (Gotta love it every year on the lawn!!)
Set List: A (Thought it was one of his better performances all year!)
Venue: A - (Still think Nissan is a prime place for a concert)
Coral Reefer Band: A (Thought they sounded OUTSTANDING!!)
Jimmy: A (Was on point and seemed to not only enjoy the show, but appreciate the crowd as well!)
OVERALL: A (Might be the best show I've been too...if it wasn't so hot I would have been in heaven!!)

What does everyone else that went to the show think???

PHINS UP!!!
We sailed from the port of indecision
Young and wild with oh so much to learn
Days turn into years as we tried to fool our fears, But to the port of indecision I returned.

PirateQueenApril
I have found me a home

Post by PirateQueenApril »

:o I must have had the opposite experience than you. I give Nissan a failing grade this year and that is no joke.

My main beef was every single person who worked there had a different "Rule" or "Request" of us. I had one bad experience after the other right up until I left early. I wasn't the only one heading out either!

At any rate this was my fourth year there and each year I've seen the quality of fun go down, based on several things. Based on how far I am from the venue and the fact that they have taken most of the "phun" out of my concert experience; I will just stay home and catch him on the radio or something next year!
I got a carribean soul I can barely control and I gotta go where it's WARM!

allucaneatbuffett
I have found me a home

What???

Post by allucaneatbuffett »

You must have been at a different place then everyone else last night. For you to say the show get's a failing grade, and that many people were leaving earyl, what in the world were you smoking?

I was there, section 101 Row E, and I couldn't agree more with the original poster. THIS SHOW WAS AWESOME!! The crowd was fired up, Jimmy was as pumped as ever, and the set list was great. Not to mention the fact that he played past 11:00 which he has never done there.

I find it odd that you had such a bad time. Funny, as everone all around us was having a blast. As I looked back in the pavillion and towards the lawn, everyone was having a blast.. So, I guess your definition of many people leaving early is what, a dozen other people walking out to their cars before the end. I think the other 35,000 people jammed into that place says otherwise!! The same people that walked out with you, are the same people who go to his shows now and can't name more than 3 of his songs....

The ONLY bad part about the show was that it was so painfully hot at the tailgate that it was very subdued, but still a blast..

Heck, even Jimmy thanked the crowd for being so fired up as he worried about what the energy level would be like for the heat. He even said, without a sincere and straight face, that he wanted to come out and give the greatest show he could. And he sure did.

If you are staying home next year, your loss.

steeptekkk

Post by steeptekkk »

long time lurker giving my .02.... i cant believe it but my coolers and stuff got ripped off at the show! NEVER in 23 or so shows have I locked this stuff up hell I wouldnt have cared if someone stole all the stuff out of them if they ran out of beer or whatever but that stunk! I hope it was some vagabonds patrolling the lot during the show and not a phan .Anyone else get anything ripped? Coupled with the N VA traffic , this is making me think twice about Nissan . Oh and the jerkoffs next to me wanted me to sit down during the show :roll: I explained that most people do not sit during his shows except for maybe a few songs . The show was excellent save for the heat . Glad they had the $10 frozen drinks :wench:

earthboundmisfit
Nibblin' on sponge cake

not a bad show, even with the heat

Post by earthboundmisfit »

While it was hot as hell it wasnt bad.
We arrived late (about 6pm) but since we had the camper we got a good parking spot.

Most people seemed not to be as drunk as most years, and had several people tell us how we were great parents for bringing our kids LOL. The kids got tired and hot towards the end.

Staff seemed fairly lask, didn't give us any problems.

I do have to say that traffic is out of control. It took an hour to get into the lot. They really need to make a better way to get in and out. Although afterwards we went out to the camper, cranked up the generator and the AC and slept till about 1:30 am. It took us 5 minutes to get out and was well worth the hassle of dragging the camper with us.

Anyone else liked Jake Shimabukuro? I am not a Ukulele fan, but the sound he can get out of his i thought was amazing.
"I know I don't get there often enough
But God knows I surely try
It's a magic kind of medicine
That no doctor could prescribe"

1-Merriweather Post Maryland, 2000
2-Nissan Pavilion Virginia, 2004
3-Nissan Pavilion Virginia, 2006

Travis McGee
Favorite Buffett Song: "Here We Are"
Number of Concerts: 108
Favorite Boat Drink: puilly-fuisse to round out the night

Post by Travis McGee »

We had a ball. The only negative was trying to leave. The Parking situation at Nissan is a nightmare. We were parked in the newer "Satellite" lot and trying to leave was a debacle. As for the show, I thought it was fantstic.

SomeGuyNamedDan
I have found me a home

Post by SomeGuyNamedDan »

Jimmy, the band, and the setlist were great.

Traffic/parking has always been and continues to be a MAJOR hassle. It took us over TWO hours to go 50 miles from Maryland to this godforsaken location. Northern VA (i.e., I-495 and I-66) were parking lots by 2:30pm! The only virtue for locating Nissan Pavilion out so far from the D.C./Baltimore population centers is that the land was cheap so the owners can make more money. It's inconvenient for many concert-goers and takes forever to get into, and even longer to get out.

It's just a shame that the bands I'd like to see only area appearance is at this venue. In cases, such as JB, I grin and bear it. Other concerts I just stay home.

TROPICAL DAYDREAMER
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by TROPICAL DAYDREAMER »

I only listened to the concert on Sirus Radio, and it sounded great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jimmy and the crowd was having so much fun, I was really jealous :D
But, I will be there in Chicago tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

tikitodd
I have found me a home
Number of Concerts: 9
Favorite Boat Drink: red stripe while sittin' at BO's

Post by tikitodd »

Parking sucks!! Took over an hour to leave the lot. The heat sucked even more! Drank more water than beer!!

I do have an awesome story that made the whole day worth it:

My wife and I attended with our parrothead club. We did not buy tickets for the concert this year like many others in our club due to the high price. We have seen Jimmy many times, and just wanted to party in the lot with our fellow parrotheads.

Once the concert started, my wife and I walked up to the chain link fence that surrounds the concert area. We could hear the concert and see about half of one of the giant video screens. About 8 or 9 songs into the concert, a husband and wife walk up beside us and put down a blanket. The women lies on the blanket and it is obvious she had tailgated too hard! The husband says to me, "do you have tickets for the show?". I told him no. He then says, "do you want two?" He said his wife had partied too much and could not go in and he has two tickets for under the pavilion! I asked him if he wanted any $ for the tickets, and he said no, just go and enjoy the show. He did not want to see the tickets go to waste since they were such good seats.

So I got to see Jimmy for free and keep my streak of Buffett concerts alive!! Gotta love fellow parrotheads!! I sure hope his wife is feelin' better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the tickets my friend! That was very kind of you to offer them to my wife and I.

Y-NO-9-O
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: Migration
Number of Concerts: 60
Location: Wish I was: 24:33:38.905N 81:48:22.910W (but getting closer)

Post by Y-NO-9-O »

steeptekkk wrote:long time lurker giving my .02.... i cant believe it but my coolers and stuff got ripped off at the show! NEVER in 23 or so shows have I locked this stuff up hell I wouldnt have cared if someone stole all the stuff out of them if they ran out of beer or whatever but that stunk! I hope it was some vagabonds patrolling the lot during the show and not a phan .Anyone else get anything ripped? Coupled with the N VA traffic , this is making me think twice about Nissan . Oh and the jerkoffs next to me wanted me to sit down during the show :roll: I explained that most people do not sit during his shows except for maybe a few songs . The show was excellent save for the heat . Glad they had the $10 frozen drinks :wench:
I was at Nissan 2 years ago and had a 1.75 litre bottle of Capt Morgan and my decorated hat stolen from the parking lot. The thing is, I believe it was done by a friend of the person we were making a margarita for. He distracted us while his buddy rummaged the back of our pickup.

angelb
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Good people

Post by angelb »

I'm sorry to hear of the stolen cooler. That really does stink.

This was my first concert. I had an idea of what to expect, especially since I've been dying to attend a show for more than 10 years. I had an idea of what to expect. BUT WOW! I was just amazed. It's too bad the weather was so freakin' hot. I know I would've loved it even more.

The tailgate, the concert, all were great. The best thing happened after the concert. I left behind a wallet containing my license, ATM and a lot of cash (I was going to stock up on concert souvenirs). The next morning I received a phone call. A woman in Richmond and her family picked it up off the ground, took it with them, and located me. She's mailing it to me.

I thought for sure that I'd never get that wallet back. If it'd been many other concerts I'd attended, I wouldn't have. So I want to thank Edie in Richmond and her family for finding the wallet and doing the right thing.

It was an amazing show. I can't wait for my next!

jncsurvivor
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by jncsurvivor »

i too thought this was a great show and set list- i will however have to think twice about tailgating for 6+ in that kind of heat. i was very POed to go the bathroom about 2/3 through the first set and come back to find 2 guys in my seat who refused to move. shoulda gotten security but of course i just p*** and moaned about the rest of the night. i need to grow some balls if im gonna shell out big money for good seats again.

lionbud

Post by lionbud »

Didn't think the parking/traffic was any worse than other venues I've attended. The key, as always is to arrive EARLY then you don't have problems. What I don't like about Nissan is how they shoot you out after the concert into pitch black, no lights, half buzzed, very little signs and wondering where you're headed. Invariably, unless you live there and are very familiar with the locale, you end up blindly getting on some road, finding it's the wrong direction, turning around and heading back to Nissan and starting all over. At least that's what happens to me...!

I tremendously miss the sax. I know this is covered on another thread but there just seems like something is missing. The playlist was o.k., but I always feel ripped off if he doesn' play Coconut Telegraph. AND WHAT THE HELL - WHERE'S THE DAMN SHARK??? Now, THAT's what I was p*** about...I don't know, it may be time for me to take a year off and really miss it. Of course, if he keeps raising the ticket prices again I'm not going to be able to afford to go. But I'll keep buying the CD's and DVD's!

And yes, the girl in purple was really strange. I figured the cameraman was getting some kind of payback after the concert....

KSM

Nissan Show

Post by KSM »

Agreed - the Nissan show Thursday night was one of the best I remember in recent years. I also noticed how Jimmy seemed to be so appreciative of the crowd. He appeared to be enjoying himself.

We were actually quite sober (had to work all day, too hot...) and still had a blast!

Band was phenomenal and I'm with the person who noted how good the uekele player is. Impressive.

So sad it's all over for another year :(

However, we're going on a Caribbean cruise in a few weeks...stopping by Key West. We'll have to make an appearance at Margaritaville.

phjrsaunt
Social Buffettfly
Social Buffettfly
Favorite Buffett Song: Defying Gravity
Number of Concerts: 21
Favorite Boat Drink: coconut rum and...anything!

Post by phjrsaunt »

steeptekkk-someone in our group also had a cooler stolen. Of course, it was full of liquor.

tikitodd-I was also the benenficiary of a free ticket, under different circumstances. I just don't think things like THAT could happen anywhere but at a Buffett show.

The "up" side of it being 836 degrees (give or take! :lol: ) is that there were noticeably less drunk people. It was just too freakin' hot to do many of our normal tailgate activities. I know I was just BEAT from being so hot all afternoon.

The show itself I thought was just AWESOME. Jimmy really turned it up a notch to thank us for bearing with the heat all day. He was having a BLAST during "Werewolves." There were two little girls sitting behind us (8 and 10 years old?). They were clearly tired, but they were HANGING! They did "Fins" and danced. Peter Mayer was totally having fun-he even held his guitar up over his at the beginning of "Fins" like a really tall fin. I think Utley really likes having Billy Payne there with him.

Parking lot: blech. What everyone else said.

My love is staying an anchor tied to you with that silver chain.

parrotd
Nibblin' on sponge cake

nissan grades

Post by parrotd »

It was my 11th year in a row at Nissan and yes the traffic getting out sucks.However,wisdom has taken hold,get there early and you get out of the lot early.Got there at 2pm,got out in 10 minutes and that was after "Pirates".Hot as hell in the parking lot,but about 4pm it really loosened up.The show was great!We got City of New Orleans,full band!He always does something new at Nissan.Billy Payne!Jimmy was pumped!I really didn't see too many people leaving early,except the nonbelievers.The crowd was really into the show.Looking forward to year 12!See you there!
No tree has branches so foolish to fight amongst themselves.

phjrsaunt
Social Buffettfly
Social Buffettfly
Favorite Buffett Song: Defying Gravity
Number of Concerts: 21
Favorite Boat Drink: coconut rum and...anything!

Post by phjrsaunt »

I phorgot to ask earlier:
When Jimmy said something about some people had come to the show from Charlottesville, there was an audible "booo/hiss" thing through the crowd. What was up with that????? All I could guess was that they were afraid he was going to cover another Dave Matthews Band song like last year, which for the most part did not seem to go over very well.

My love is staying an anchor tied to you with that silver chain.

bravedave
At the Bama Breeze

Post by bravedave »

phjrsaunt wrote:I phorgot to ask earlier:
When Jimmy said something about some people had come to the show from Charlottesville, there was an audible "booo/hiss" thing through the crowd. What was up with that????? All I could guess was that they were afraid he was going to cover another Dave Matthews Band song like last year, which for the most part did not seem to go over very well.
Maybe it's a basketball thing?
(We're big George Mason fans up here in Yankee country.)
:lol:
“Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world.”
- Kaiser Welhelm

"The call is a loud wulli-wulli, and there is much twittering at the drinking holes."

Gumbo
If we weren't all crazy ...

Post by Gumbo »

That was my second time at Nissan and I won't go back.

Not taking anything away from the show, Buffett was great, as usual, but the parking situation makes it not worth traveling.

Luckily, I live in Charlotte, NC and Jimmy normally pays us a visit. This year, the concert in Charlotte was day after my wedding on Wrightsville Beach, NC, so I couldn't make it. Bought Nissan tickets instead.

My wife's sister lives 20 miles from Nissan in Falls Church, VA. I was taking the in-laws to their first show. There were 6 of us and we set out in 2 cars at 4pm. Stopped off to get some ice in Falls Church and we were on I-66 around 4:30. Heard a report that traffic was crawling and so we hopped off to get on 29 which is the road you exit I-66 off of to go to Nissan. Set in heavy traffic for about 1.5 hours to go 7-8 miles. Then got to a light where traffic filters to one left turn lane (this took an hour to go 30 feet). We got about 4 cars from the turn when a cop blocked it up and directed us to go straight. Confused everyone in our lane and caused chaos.

So we go up 2 more lights and make the left turn. Hit a traffic light where the new traffic we have created and the old left-turn traffic converge in 2 lanes. Takes forever to get through this. Unbelievably, when you get up to Nissan you again bottleneck into 1 lane.

Long story short, we arrived in parking lot at 8pm on the dot. Now we weren't expecting to tailgate long, just enough for a margarita and a sub. ...it was 100 degrees afterall. But due to the poor lack of traffic control, the bottlenecking of lanes, and the lack of access going in and out, we missed the first few songs.

We left immediately after Margarataville and ran back in the car as to not get in the post-concert traffic. We got out quickly.

Nissan should be shut down. Merriweather should get all future shows. I won't be back.

Fins21

Post by Fins21 »

I'm gonna be honest about this situation at Nissan and their parking, and that is that it stinks...flat out. HOWEVER, I view it as such that I don't, can't, and won't let parking ruin the best part of my summer and that is the Buffett concert! I normally take off the day of Buffett (and by viewing the fact that we weren't alone in the parking lot at 2:00 pm, most others do as well!), and when we got there we had no problems parking and setting up shop. Now, I know we got there early, but most do and we had no problems. Now for LEAVING Nissan...we stayed for all encores and made our way from the lawn down all those stairs and when we got back to the cars, we set up shop again...relaxed for about an hour, and then got out and onto 29 in about 15 minutes if that. I see problems with the parking lot, but they seem to be known by all...we just make our plans around it every year, and every year we don't have a problem! I hope people don't view Nissan because of bad parking, but more by the fact that Jimmy almost ALWAYS has a GREAT show at Nissan. Just my two cents!!

PHINS UP!!
We sailed from the port of indecision
Young and wild with oh so much to learn
Days turn into years as we tried to fool our fears, But to the port of indecision I returned.