Greatwoods reflection, Part I (Thursday) [it's a bit long]

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

santa
If we weren't all crazy ...
Number of Concerts: 0

Greatwoods reflection, Part I (Thursday) [it's a bit long]

Post by santa »

I always enjoy reading the recap of events posted from other shows and will take my stab at it. I've been working on a bar now for a few weeks, as well as other preparations for the double shot of GW this year...

Truck loaded, windows painted and gassed up, we headed out early and got to the parking lot around 11:15am. PLENTY OF TIME!! Right?

Well, as it turned out, someone from the concert the night before (KISS/Aerosmith) left their car, and the GW parking staff decided to have it towed around 11am. And of course, it was in the *main* lot. The impact to us was that we (and about 50 other PHs) got "diverted" to the side lots while they made room for the tow truck.

Yup, all that planning and we got *stuck.* However, the people in the lot were very cool and apologized to us (and then let us take up plenty of extra space). It was actually funny... the diverted cars made up the first row of the lot (which then didn't really get people until 1pm)... and that row was _decked out_ with shades, bars, blenders, grills you-name-it.

Anyway, for us, it meant we needed to roam more to be where the *action* was (and that we didn't get much traffic to the new bar, and subsequently only handed out about 2 packs of juicy fruit gum and 20 VIRGIN scavenger hunts).

We walked around a bit and met up with a few BNers, but none of the people we had planned to meet up with (ah, the life of a tailgater). We noticed a few key things for the Thursday crowd this year:
1. The event staff was the nicest and most friendly we've seen in 3 years
2. The police seemed really really laid back this year
3. NO FIGHTS! this year (had one last year about 3 cars down that was really ugly)
4. Saw some old Phriends from parking lots past
5. The crowd generally seemed subdued. Not entirely sure why... our parking lot was _definitely_ quiet (sorta as expected), but the other lots seemed quiet too. It was like people roaming about didn't stop too often to socialize and the groups of people that were there seemed content to do their own thing.
** however, subdued doesn't mean quiet. I didn't think i was at a barry manilow concert (yes, i have been to see barry manilow -- long story, involves a girl... 'nuff said). it was more mellow than previous years at GW **

The WEATHER was AWESOME! PERFECT day for tailgating.

We made laps a few times and for the life of us, could not find the BN RV, the KLC Bar or any BNers that we expected to. I did run into some other BN faces at the end of the day and they told me where to look. Not sure how the heck we missed it, but we did :(

Finally nearing showtime. Getting into the venue was a breeze this year. Easier than all previous years. The lawn at GW is slowly shrinking, and this year we had seats in what used to be the lawn. Oh well, they were awesome anyway, and on a front rail in the section, so we got a good view of the show, but a better view of the PHANS!

I was reminded last night of just how cool the whole PH experience is. Now, I really liked the show last night. Second show of the season (in person) for me, and he really seemed "on" last night. The sound was perfect and the whole band was really into it. You could tell the energy was contagious up there!

The set list was cool, some changes. I'm like everyone else in that I had some favorites I would have _liked_ to have heard, but I have no complaints.

The crowd was awesome last night. As EXPECTED, I saw people dancing with strangers, exchanging high fives, handing out juicy fruit gum, sharing a smile during an awesome song and singing along. I saw all ages, all walks of life and the REAL santa *or d*mn did he look real*

The night had energy, the night had passion, the night had love.... very very cool.

And then we headed home (needed to see the 4 month old keet).

I had thought in the afternoon that they day had been a little bit of a let down. I think that was the result of 3 weeks of planning and a whole lot of stress coming out. But by the end of the show, I realized that the day had been awesome. Great weather, great people, great show.

I wore the nametag 7Lords made for me, and they really worked! It was great to meet others... I know there were parts of the lot that were different than mine, but in the end, ours was good too!

Now we're gearing up for tomorrow. Heading out for 10am, going to have breakfast in the lot and will have a generator and 2 blenders. If you're going to be there, do stop by and let's raise a glass together and celebrate a great summer!
... sharp as an arrow in a pile of glass ...

kitty
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by kitty »

I am sorry you meet up with us, Santa...you said I could sit on your lap! :(

santa

Post by santa »

kitty wrote:I am sorry you meet up with us, Santa...you said I could sit on your lap! :(
I was looking forward to it, too. Maybe thats why I was a bit sullen in the afternoon?

Going to be there tomorrow?

looks@40
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: Island.......The weather is Here.....
Number of Concerts: 19
Favorite Boat Drink: My world famous Margaritas

Post by looks@40 »

Santa---your long, detailed post re: Thu at GW was right on target!
I too arrived early and was totally bummed to be diverted "way out back". Yes---we felt isolated from much of the action---and yes--that "action" seemed a bit more subdued than years past. I tried to find a few BN'ers--never saw the flag--but was pleased to meet Key Lime Lee, Cuervo, and BOR, among others, (key lime ..Gary????) at the KLC!!

like you said---different.....but a great day overall!
"indecision may or may not be my problem"

2muchTEQUILA
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Number of Concerts: 14

Post by 2muchTEQUILA »

We'll be there as well.

We'll look for the bar...

Maybe a bar stool for me to sit on.. OK :lol:
It's a semi-true story, believe it or not.
I made up a few things, and there's some I forgot

bixxx
License to Chill
Favorite Buffett Song: thats what living is to me
Number of Concerts: 80
Favorite Boat Drink: bushwhacker/pain killer

Post by bixxx »

a few thoughts the weather was great the parking lot in the rv section great as usual we were a row back from the house port drove in i think i could fit two of ours in his found keys bar very nice met many bners the tags worked great 7LORDS thanks i have many pix most of which are from our luge and syringe bobbing i'll throw them on the tailgate gallery found a great buffet trivia for jello shots game the Pirate Ship Bus looked great again the Cuervo and Corona guys were very generous Hower

We though the set list was too slow, we got his set list from the stage and he skipped a few songs :cry: tampico trauma love the song, but you HAVE to have a harp We felt he was off, i have a feeling he played golf all day and was tired he came on a little later and ended a little earlier School Boy Heart was listed as an encore song, he skipped it We are hoping he brings his A game on Sat weve seen somewhere around 40 shows and felt this was at the bottom, musically maybe its just us, although many around us had the same thoughts when the show ended that being said everyone can have an off night cant wait for saturday

Snowparrot
Under My Lone Palm
Number of Concerts: 14
Favorite Boat Drink: **Free**

Post by Snowparrot »

I litened to the show on RM... but what a terrible connection! ... when I could hear it, it sounded like a lot more lively show than last Thurs. in Chicago, which I saw live. JB just seemed to have so much more energy and I preferred the set list he used last night ... what I could hear of it anyway. I missed the first part of the show (family) and the very end (RM) but I sure thought the "middle" sounded great!

For you parking-lot parrotheads, those nametags are SO nifty and really help in identifying "our crowd" ... I was late and had to make my own (just printed in black and white) but it worked anyway.

I am definitely looking forward to the next time. 8)

Beach95
I have found me a home

Post by Beach95 »

I was pleasantly suprised to find out half way through the night that I had an 11th row ticket (we won't go in to what I had). There were six of us together (guys night - the ladies will be with us tomorrow night), and we had 6 random pavillion tickets, but agreed to stay together on the lawn. I never even looked at my seat because out of fairness to the others I didn't want to be tempted to use the ticket. Luckily, I got lost......so I decided to just go to my seat. Low and behold.....section 1 row L, first seat on the outside of the row. I started on the inside and had to fight some a$$ clown to get to my seat. I love people....all you are doing is walking by and 45 year old guy wants to fight you because he can't hear his favorite song. I don't think walking obstructs sounds waves.

Enough said. I was about 30 ft from the stage, great view. And I agree, in the 50ish shows I have seen, I think the man was off a bit. I liked the set list, but he wasn't very interactive with the people in the front of the stage. I counted one hand shake after the encore.

santa

Post by santa »

Beach95 wrote:I love people....all you are doing is walking by and 45 year old guy wants to fight you because he can't hear his favorite song. I don't think walking obstructs sounds waves.
Drunk Physics! Damn those soundwaves and absorption by the human body!

Sounds like a sweet seat!

Let's hope for some more energy on Saturday!

looks@40
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: Island.......The weather is Here.....
Number of Concerts: 19
Favorite Boat Drink: My world famous Margaritas

Post by looks@40 »

I thought the first set started too slowly--natives are restless didn't really work for me--but the second set was MUCH better---especially the acoustic stuff with Mac--and Changing Channels was just a great finish!

Not the best Buffett set list I've seen, but I thought he "pulled it out" in the second half!
"indecision may or may not be my problem"

CIGAR
I have found me a home

Post by CIGAR »

I'll be there with plenty of energy on Saturday.......seems like a long time from ticket-buying in March!

A local DJ was in the 3rd row yesterday & called into the radio station from his bed this morning. He said it was the biggest 1-day party he has ever seen. He vowed to quit his job and follow Jimmy around for the rest of the tour.

Hope to see a few BNer's tomorrow!! 8) 8)

travlgrrl
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by travlgrrl »

Hi everyone---I just wanted to say that last night was my FIRST Buffett concert/tailgaiting experience and it went BEYOND my expectations. I have never met such a nice crowd of people. Everyone made my friends and I feel so welcome and comfortable. People were passing out drinks, desserts, food---you name it! :wink: I can't put my finger on it exactly----between the beautiful weather, the smell in the air, Jimmy's music, the friendly people--it was just an experience of a lifetime. We didn't run into ANYTHING "bad"---no fights, no sickness, no rude people....it was all good AND JIMMY, wow...what can I say? :P When he came on stage I literally cried....it was one of those smiling/laughing/crying type deals.....very moving for me. He sounded great and I loved all the songs. Saturday can't get here quick enough... I plan on seeing Jimmy in concert as much as possible. I am just sorry I missed so many years, but better late then never! I was on the lookout for BN people and was lucky to meet TRYIN TO REASON who was SUCH A SWEET, SWEET guy!!!!!! To have him sitting beside me was a treat----he is SUCH a fan and his energy vibe was very contagious---THANK YOU TRYIN TO REASON if you read this!!!! You were GREAT! :D Parrotheads are amazing....such fun, kind people----thanks for making Thursday's concert an event I will always remember. I will post pictures soon!!!!! :wench: :wench: :wench:

Air M'Ville Cap'n
Inactive User

Post by Air M'Ville Cap'n »

travlgrrl wrote:Hi everyone---I just wanted to say that last night was my FIRST Buffett concert/tailgaiting experience and it went BEYOND my expectations. I have never met such a nice crowd of people. Everyone made my friends and I feel so welcome and comfortable. People were passing out drinks, desserts, food---you name it! :wink: I can't put my finger on it exactly----between the beautiful weather, the smell in the air, Jimmy's music, the friendly people--it was just an experience of a lifetime. We didn't run into ANYTHING "bad"---no fights, no sickness, no rude people....it was all good AND JIMMY, wow...what can I say? :P When he came on stage I literally cried....it was one of those smiling/laughing/crying type deals.....very moving for me. He sounded great and I loved all the songs. Saturday can't get here quick enough... I plan on seeing Jimmy in concert as much as possible. I am just sorry I missed so many years, but better late then never! I was on the lookout for BN people and was lucky to meet TRYIN TO REASON who was SUCH A SWEET, SWEET guy!!!!!! To have him sitting beside me was a treat----he is SUCH a fan and his energy vibe was very contagious---THANK YOU TRYIN TO REASON if you read this!!!! You were GREAT! :D Parrotheads are amazing....such fun, kind people----thanks for making Thursday's concert an event I will always remember. I will post pictures soon!!!!! :wench: :wench: :wench:
A Buffett concert is truly a special thing

bixxx
License to Chill
Favorite Buffett Song: thats what living is to me
Number of Concerts: 80
Favorite Boat Drink: bushwhacker/pain killer

Post by bixxx »

i have a bunch posted at the end of the tailgate pix section tried to get a disposable inside they were all over me as soon as i walked in

SDPirate40
Favorite Buffett Song: A Pirate Looks At 40
Number of Concerts: 131
Favorite Boat Drink: Captn & Diet

Post by SDPirate40 »

Santa,

I thought your review was right on target!

This lil ol San Diego phan was tired after flying all night on a small jet and landing at 6 am before renting a suburban for my long weekend.

Arrived at the show at 1 pm, parked, set up and of course was solo...but not for long!

Many BNer's (NYC, etc.) all made their way to my row eventually, plus my neighbors who drove from KC adopted me. Just had ablast with a great circle of new phriends. Tomorrow, I have a few pholks going with me, but it is great to see so many poeople just come up, take one look at "San Diego to Boston" written on the windows of the Suburban and ask if I really came that far!

Great show, great lot (I agree, little tame, but watch out for Saturday!)

Please stop by for a drink and say hello on Saturday....Black Suburban, California plates "temporarily" installed PIRET40...

Fins Up!!
Boats, (Tour) Buses, Bentleys, Bars & Babe (wife)

22 years of Buffett with 131 shows and counting!

Tiki Bar
Thank God the Tiki Torch Still Shines
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbour / Tin Cup Chalice medley!
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Friends don't let friends drink tequila! Beer me!

Post by Tiki Bar »

travlgrrl wrote:When he came on stage I literally cried....it was one of those smiling/laughing/crying type deals.....very moving for me.
You never forget the 1st time! :D
You’re still grinning, we’re still winning, nothing left to say
I’m still gliding as I go flying down this endless wave

santa

Post by santa »

posted a few pictures up. I didn't take as many I had hoped and never seemed to have the camera with me when I met fellow BNers... perhap tomorrow?

http://www.baldparrot.com/gallery/view_ ... Name=gwt03

SDPirate40
Favorite Buffett Song: A Pirate Looks At 40
Number of Concerts: 131
Favorite Boat Drink: Captn & Diet

Post by SDPirate40 »

Santa....

Great shots...thanks for sharing!
Boats, (Tour) Buses, Bentleys, Bars & Babe (wife)

22 years of Buffett with 131 shows and counting!

TheJoker
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by TheJoker »

GREAT PHOTOS!!!!!!! SANTA!!!

parrotsgirl
<font color=purple>I Love the Now</font>
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbour
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: tequila
Location: In NH..but really wherever my "cowgirl" heart takes me

Post by parrotsgirl »

kitty wrote:I am sorry you meet up with us, Santa...you said I could sit on your lap! :(
yeah what Kitty said...are you there tomorrow by any chance?????
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go Insane"