upset with younger crowd

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

12 lb. nestle crunch
Overkill
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: cran.+vodka

upset with younger crowd

Post by 12 lb. nestle crunch »

so i am 21, and a college student. but when i go to a buffett show, i am almost embarrassed to be this age. i fine that most college/high school kids primarily go to these shows lookin to see some boobs or whatnot. i.e. the grand cherokee next to the buffettnews crew with "show us your boobs" written all over it. they act like its a frat party, and tend to not be friendly to most parrotheads (unless its a hot chick). ive never been asked to leave a tailgaters car before until thursday, and they said "dude, yall need to go, cause we need chicks here." and of course, they only know the words to m'ville and cheeseburger.

this of course does not apply to the ppl on this site. everyone ive met from BN, no matter what the age, has been absolutly great
NanaWind
I need two more boat drinks
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by NanaWind »

Preach on!

In all seriousness, I've run across this before as well. As a 21 year old myself, I've attended JB shows with people who only wanted to go for the reasons you've mentioned, and it completely ruined the experience for me. I much rather associate myself with people who are there to have a good time, but not to turn it into a frat party. However, it seems that most college guys ARE interested in seeing boobs and drinking a ton of beer. It's a true stereotype, there are just a few of us who break the mold. Unfortunately I'm heading to Vegas with my best friend who is of that same mentality. He's a die-hard ParrotHead in his own right, but just wants to see girls and get as trashed as possible. Oh well, I have to love the guy, but does anyone want to adopt me for the weekend? :)
jbchicag

Post by jbchicag »

Everyone I saw doing that was well over 30. I frankly think you are being too sensitive and uptight. The tailgating scene is a big party. Sure some people have different ideas than your own. Party how you want to party, if you don't want to support something, than don't. Sure those people can be annoying, just choose not to socialize w/ them.
Desdamona
Under My Lone Palm

Post by Desdamona »

I didn't appreciate the impromptu wh*reh*use set up across
the way from me at the Atlanta tailgate last year. Maybe up
to 8 young guys taking turns with 3 or 4 young women in a
van, a tent, and under a canopy in full view. And yes, they
all looked "frat" aged. :roll:
Image Image
jbphan1
I have found me a home

Post by jbphan1 »

At the Palace show in Detroit a couple of years ago, we saw young men rating girls "coconuts". I'm sure this can be done all in fun, but when these guys (mostly young) start making rude and degrading comments someone has to remind them of the Buffett way.

It's always been my contention that people of all ages can have fun and share what they have. That's what makes the tailgate fun, people of all ages sharing the Buffett experience. Over the years, unfortunately, I have noticed a lot more overly served people and rude behavior. It's one thing to have good natured fun and party, but it seems like more people are stepping over the line. A Buffett concert is a time to come together...forget our differences for a while....as our leader says
MelliJellyBean
At the Bama Breeze

Post by MelliJellyBean »

I know what you mean! I"m 25 and my boyfriend is in a frat, but there are alot of "typical" frat boys at buffett concerts.... can you beleive that an SUV across from us was playing RAP before the Buffett show in Pittsburgh!????? RIDICULOUS!

It's a "trendy" thing to go to a Buffett concert...the tailgates are famous!
msu#1
Behind Door #3

Post by msu#1 »

I dont think wanting to see boobs is a bad thing, if it is I should be kicked out!

If you were at a tailgate where people asked you to leave, I wanna know how you ended up talking to those people in the first place, seems like they wouldnt be to friendly to begin with.

I know alot of people dont come up to my group cause they are scared of something, I guess we look to much like "Frat" boys even though we hate them. I would never tell someone to leave my tailgate if they came up to us.

ok honestly maybe I would if they were a totally geek, but I've only run into a few of them at buffett concerts and I dont think they were big fans to begin with.
Lake Erie Pirate scientist
parrothead338
Overkill
Favorite Buffett Song: Lone Palm

Post by parrothead338 »

I totally agree that obnoxious and rude tailgaters are a negative and I wish they would just not show up. But I think there are just as many 30/40 year old doing the same thing as there are teenagers. Me and my friends (all 18) are heading up to the show on Thursday and we plan on decorating the car, dressing up and gettin there early so we can party all day but we are sure as hell gunna be behaved little parrotheads. So I wouldnt say you should just be annoyed with the younger fans at the shows.

Mike
-Mike

Sometimes we might fall; stand up taller. Someday we may graduate into a perfect state of mind. OAR
iuparrothead
God's Own Drunk

Post by iuparrothead »

Good thing that there are awesome people like you Lance that make up for the stupid "frat" boys! :wink:
Image`How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
`You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
SouthernSeas
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Number of Concerts: 130
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

Post by SouthernSeas »

TAU KAPPA EPSILON IN THE HOUSE!!!! I am very proud to be part of the LARGEST fraternity in the world! DON"T diss the fraternities! Anyways, a Buffett concert is a place to let loose..kick back the rules, and raise hell (have fun). Every good man wants to see a hot, sexy girl flashing (can I get a hell yeah??) -- and a Buffett show is the perfect spot for it! I also do want to say that most people, when they do go see Buffett, just want to have a full blown great time. They want the drunken' tailgates (hell yeah), they want to see the hot blonde bikini clad women, they want a hook up for the night, and most importantly...they want to see Buffett sing and joke. I am 22.....make way for the younger parrotheads.......WE'RE HERE!!!
Sunset Beach is my Margaritaville. Where there is endless beach, no time, and sunshine that seems to last forever. I know that Someday I Will.....Someday.
DrunkenIrish
If we weren't all crazy ...

Post by DrunkenIrish »

as another young person, I really don't have any problem with the boob thing at buffett concerts. it's supposed to be about fun, and with the exception of Desdemona's experience, most of the "girls gone wild" activities end there.

what bothers me, and this is going to sound weird, but the morons who get sooooooo blasted they have no idea they are at a concert. go throw up and fall over on people somewhere eles. And Please Take Your Drunken Fifteen Year-old Girlfriend Home. I mean, I'm usually wasted at shows, but I can stand, never puke, and can sing along (like any parrothead) to every song.

maybe I"m setting some sort of weird double standard?
"At half time we were back talking in the dressing room, and uh we have done this for many many years, but we have voted this evening, amongst the band, that the parking lot at Alpine Valley is the best" - JB 6/28/03
Air M'Ville Cap'n
Inactive User

Post by Air M'Ville Cap'n »

DrunkenIrish wrote:as another young person, I really don't have any problem with the boob thing at buffett concerts. it's supposed to be about fun, and with the exception of Desdemona's experience, most of the "girls gone wild" activities end there.

what bothers me, and this is going to sound weird, but the morons who get sooooooo blasted they have no idea they are at a concert. go throw up and fall over on people somewhere eles. And Please Take Your Drunken Fifteen Year-old Girlfriend Home. I mean, I'm usually wasted at shows, but I can stand, never puke, and can sing along (like any parrothead) to every song.

maybe I"m setting some sort of weird double standard?
I am a youngin too and I'm usually how you are at concerts, pretty drunk (it helps me dance better) but never throwin up or causing any trouble. Unfortunately there are always gonna be some that ruin it and give us young guns a bad name

Click the picture! :D

DazedNiteman
Favorite Buffett Song: Love and Luck
Number of Concerts: 8
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita

Post by DazedNiteman »

I'm a 16 year old parrothead and I've been to two concerts. The first being in Minneapolis in the 2001 - A Beach Oddessy tour. We didn't tailgate or anything there because, well, there wasn't really any place to tailgate and my parents didn't want to :(
Now this tour at Alpine Valley, we tailgated from 12:00 on and we didn't encounter any rude people. We did see a lot of college age students adn a lot of them were wasted but from what we saw walking around and talking to them they seemed to be having a good time.
Now.... This brings me to the concert itself, Alpine Valley only because it was the lawn section and the target center was seated, no real lawn. Right before Jimmy came on about 8 drunk late 20 year olds came out of nowwhere and stood right in front of us and a lot of other people who had been sitting in the same spot for 2 hours and they just waltzed right in and stood there, while everyone else was still sitting by the way waiting for it to get started. They were stumbling around like they had no idea what was happening and some people asked/told them to move and they just cocked off. They eventually wandered off somewhere. WE didn't see anyone puking around us so that was good (luck?) But there were a TON of people walking and bumping into us and walking on our stuff during the concert probably going to the restrooms.

The majority of people that had to be led away by another person because without the help they'd fall over were late 30s early 40s I'd say. However I would say that they weren't all rude and looking for fights, but those in their 20s were looking for fights and were more aggressive.
Also one more quick story while I'm on a role. While in the car waiting to leave after the A.V. concert while driving to go wait in the lane to exit some jack@ss college kids through 4 water balloons at our car and they made a small dent in my dad's NEW chevy suburban.....

So, There you have it, my take on youngin's at the concert.
Graduated with honors from Georgia Southern University. I am a brother in the Sigma Phi Epsilon Fraternity. I've seen Buffett 7 times. Going to the Medical College of Georgia, Class of 2014!!!!
"You go to heaven for the climate, but you go to hell for the company"
mason
Hoot!

Post by mason »

SouthernSeas wrote:TAU KAPPA EPSILON IN THE HOUSE!!!! I am very proud to be part of the LARGEST fraternity in the world! DON"T diss the fraternities! Anyways, a Buffett concert is a place to let loose..kick back the rules, and raise hell (have fun). Every good man wants to see a hot, sexy girl flashing (can I get a hell yeah??) -- and a Buffett show is the perfect spot for it! I also do want to say that most people, when they do go see Buffett, just want to have a full blown great time. They want the drunken' tailgates (hell yeah), they want to see the hot blonde bikini clad women, they want a hook up for the night, and most importantly...they want to see Buffett sing and joke. I am 22.....make way for the younger parrotheads.......WE'RE HERE!!!
this guy is kidding....right? sooner or later your frat will make headlines by doing something a little more stupider than usual, and getting kicked off campus. you and any others that think like you, wil be the eventual death of the 1/2 day to all day tail gate parties enjoyed at most, but not all venues.

"listen to the stories i could tell"

viva las vegas
DrunkenIrish
If we weren't all crazy ...

Post by DrunkenIrish »

mason wrote:
SouthernSeas wrote:TAU KAPPA EPSILON IN THE HOUSE!!!! I am very proud to be part of the LARGEST fraternity in the world! DON"T diss the fraternities! Anyways, a Buffett concert is a place to let loose..kick back the rules, and raise hell (have fun). Every good man wants to see a hot, sexy girl flashing (can I get a hell yeah??) -- and a Buffett show is the perfect spot for it! I also do want to say that most people, when they do go see Buffett, just want to have a full blown great time. They want the drunken' tailgates (hell yeah), they want to see the hot blonde bikini clad women, they want a hook up for the night, and most importantly...they want to see Buffett sing and joke. I am 22.....make way for the younger parrotheads.......WE'RE HERE!!!
this guy is kidding....right? sooner or later your frat will make headlines by doing something a little more stupider than usual, and getting kicked off campus. you and any others that think like you, wil be the eventual death of the 1/2 day to all day tail gate parties enjoyed at most, but not all venues.
No, I don't think he is kidding. That said, WHOAAAAAA, take it easy mason. Chill out and have another margarita, or in the case of this summer, a hurricane :)
"At half time we were back talking in the dressing room, and uh we have done this for many many years, but we have voted this evening, amongst the band, that the parking lot at Alpine Valley is the best" - JB 6/28/03
RAGTOP
Behind Door #3

Post by RAGTOP »

I do beleive Jimmy was in a fraternity :roll:
Love and Luck
Southeast of disorder

Post by Love and Luck »

Hey Mason... can I get a hell yeah :roll:
"It was too much Tequila, or not quite enough."
finsupnorth
Behind Door #3
Favorite Buffett Song: Margaritaville (haha-JK)...When the Coast is Clear
Number of Concerts: 16
Favorite Boat Drink: I gotta littl' Captn' in me!

Post by finsupnorth »

DrunkenIrish wrote:
mason wrote:
No, I don't think he is kidding. That said, WHOAAAAAA, take it easy mason. Chill out and have another margarita, or in the case of this summer, a hurricane :)
Hey southernseas, name us FIVE buffett songs not on the SYNBH album right now........that is your way to redemption.....

otherwise, let the true parrotheads enjoy the show and the same fun you mention without the CRAP that disrespectful wannabe's have during the show.. There is a fine line between the crazy and the insane and it usually comes between those who party hard and respect EVERYONE at the shows, giving away food, drinks, etc. to anyone; and then there are those who think everything should be handed to them....by the way, the stage is that way!
Need more energy? Need your appetite suppressed?
Great product to help you lose weight naturally...
http://www.seedietmagic.com

Meet you in Margaritaville:
Alpine 2012??
margaritamyers

Post by margaritamyers »

The tailgating is looking more and more like the Pimlico Infield at Preakness. You just need to navigate the crowd till you find a safe harbor
I am the Wino that I know
*wahine*surfer
Fruitcake

Post by *wahine*surfer »

i am also one of the younger parrotheads (22) and i am a little embarassed sometimes to be associated with that age group at the buffett shows, a lot of times for the younger crowd, it is just a trendy thing to do, a lot of them have no idea what its about... i 'm all for having fun and partying and having a good time, i do my fair share of partying, and if some guy wants to rate a girl's coconuts (i even had mine rated before, all in good fun), go for it, but when they start to make rude and degrading comments, and are showing up only for the frat party and not because they appreciate the music, thats when i have a problem with what they are doing...
catch a wave and you're sitting on top of the world...