Rarest songs in concert

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

Tbdbuckeyeitl
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin cup chalice
Number of Concerts: 25

Rarest songs in concert

Post by Tbdbuckeyeitl »

What is the rarest song you have heard and want to hear in concert live? Last night I heard West Nashville grand ballroom gown. I want to hear tin cup chalice badly.
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Re: Rarest songs in concert

Post by lime rickie »

Lucky Star. I love this little tune.
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

urlcenter
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 6

Post by urlcenter »

I want to here the following live:

Dallas
The Good Fight
The Last Line

The rarest that I have heard was there performance of "Don't Bring Me Candy" which happened at the 9/26/18 show at La Cigale in Paris
FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Ice Cold Loaded Landshark

Post by FinsUp6835 »

I’ve heard him close with tin cup multiple times.

Also, I’ve heard gods own drunk and I have found me a home live.

I was also at the show in AC when he closed with Last Mango in Paris acoustically which is now on the Encores album which is pretty cool
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.
LIPH
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

I've heard Brahma Fear live. When he played it, I turned to the guy next to me (a stranger) and said "I can't believe he's doing Brahma Fear." He said "huh?" :lol:

I've also heard Livingston's Gone To Texas, in Texas, and everybody sitting around me thought it was a new song.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle

Post by FinsUp6835 »

LIPH wrote: April 28, 2019 6:18 pm I've heard Brahma Fear live. When he played it, I turned to the guy next to me (a stranger) and said "I can't believe he's doing Brahma Fear." He said "huh?" :lol:

I've also heard Livingston's Gone To Texas, in Texas, and everybody sitting around me thought it was a new song.
Jealous you heard those live! I remember you mentioning that about Livingston when I did Fruitcakes on then radio l. And those stories of the people’s reactions make me want to cry lol
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.
boatdrinks84
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: They Don't Dance Like Carmen No More
Number of Concerts: 8
Favorite Boat Drink: Hurricane

Post by boatdrinks84 »

FinsUp6835 wrote: April 28, 2019 5:59 pm I’ve heard him close with tin cup multiple times.
We’ve gotten Tin Cup in Chicago at least four times in the past decade or so:

2011 (with no vocals after a power outage)
2012 (mid-show)
2016 (encore)
2017 (encore)
SharkysMV1
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Number of Concerts: 9
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum & Tonic

Post by SharkysMV1 »

Good idea for a thread - it would be cool if we could run stats on here, but at a casual look at the setlists for shows I've seen, the only song that is close to a "rarity" that I've seen is Mermaid in the Night (1/11 times in the database). I, too, have seen Tin Cup Chalice as a solo encore.

Speaking of solo acoustic encore rarities, I would absolutely love to see:
Distantly in Love
Stranded on a Sandbar
Island
Turnabout
I have Found Me a Home
and of course...West Nashville Grand Ballroom Gown
“Later down the road of life, I made the discovery that salt water was also good for the mental abrasions one inevitably acquires on land.” - JB, APLAFifty
FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!

Post by FinsUp6835 »

SharkysMV1 wrote: April 29, 2019 3:24 pm Good idea for a thread - it would be cool if we could run stats on here, but at a casual look at the setlists for shows I've seen, the only song that is close to a "rarity" that I've seen is Mermaid in the Night (1/11 times in the database). I, too, have seen Tin Cup Chalice as a solo encore.

Distantly in Love
Stranded on a Sandbar
Island
Turnabout
I have Found Me a Home
He closed Camden a couple years ago with I Have Found Me A Home and it was amazing.
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie »

Tonight I Just Need My Guitar would be an amazing encore.
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

SeattleParrotHead
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: Island, 12v Man
Favorite Boat Drink: Mai Tais @ Dukes

Post by SeattleParrotHead »

Not one of his songs, but when he closed the 2003 White River Amphitheater (Auburn/Seattle) show with "The Wind Cries Mary" is was pretty special.
ImageImage

I know the voices in my head aren’t real, but sometimes they have really good ideas…..
SPH
PeoriaTom
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: West Nashville Grand Ballroom Gown
Number of Concerts: 5

Post by PeoriaTom »

lime rickie wrote: April 29, 2019 5:36 pm Tonight I Just Need My Guitar would be an amazing encore.
2007 encore in Atlanta, my favorite recording I have!

Also, I have been obsessed with West Nashville Grand Ballroom Gown since I was a little kid, and I went crazy when I heard he played it in Cincinnati last year! I’d also love to hear Why the Things We Do, Changing Channels (2001 Irvine encore is fantastic) and Coast of Carolina (honestly possibly my favorite JB song when I try to be objective and less nostalgic).
Past Concerts:
Saturday 6/28/2003 - East Troy, WI
Tuesday 4/17/2012 - Des Moines, IA
Saturday 7/25/2016 - Tinley Park, IL
Saturday 7/15/2017 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field)
Tuesday 5/22/2018 - Des Moines, IA
Friday 7/13/2018 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field)

Upcoming:
Saturday 7/20 - Alpine Valley!
jbfinscj
Lester Polyester
Favorite Buffett Song: Floridays, Tin Cup Chalice, Prince of Tides, Tides, Earles Dead
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Coconut Rum

Post by jbfinscj »

Brahma Fear in Bristow, VA back in 2010.
I'm back to livin' Floridays
Blue skies and ultra-violet rays

urlcenter
Behind Door #3

Post by urlcenter »

PeoriaTom wrote: April 29, 2019 11:50 pm
lime rickie wrote: April 29, 2019 5:36 pm Tonight I Just Need My Guitar would be an amazing encore.
2007 encore in Atlanta, my favorite recording I have!

Also, I have been obsessed with West Nashville Grand Ballroom Gown since I was a little kid, and I went crazy when I heard he played it in Cincinnati last year! I’d also love to hear Why the Things We Do, Changing Channels (2001 Irvine encore is fantastic) and Coast of Carolina (honestly possibly my favorite JB song when I try to be objective and less nostalgic).
Jimmy played West Nashville Ballroom Gown in Nashville this past Saturday, as one of the encores. This resulted in the show having a rare 5 song encore set
SharkysMV1
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Number of Concerts: 9
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum & Tonic

Post by SharkysMV1 »

FinsUp6835 wrote: April 29, 2019 3:27 pm
SharkysMV1 wrote: April 29, 2019 3:24 pm Good idea for a thread - it would be cool if we could run stats on here, but at a casual look at the setlists for shows I've seen, the only song that is close to a "rarity" that I've seen is Mermaid in the Night (1/11 times in the database). I, too, have seen Tin Cup Chalice as a solo encore.

Distantly in Love
Stranded on a Sandbar
Island
Turnabout
I have Found Me a Home
He closed Camden a couple years ago with I Have Found Me A Home and it was amazing.
That is a really, really good version! I can't stop listening to it, and it's been added to my "JB Acoustic" playlist!
“Later down the road of life, I made the discovery that salt water was also good for the mental abrasions one inevitably acquires on land.” - JB, APLAFifty
Showlistener2018
Southeast of disorder
Number of Concerts: 7

Post by Showlistener2018 »

Mexico.
Detroit Finz
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 26
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark!

Post by Detroit Finz »

I saw him to Ringling Ringling at Pine Knob quite a few years ago and that was a treat.
Salt air it ain't thin,
It can stick right to your skin,
And make you feel fine.
It makes you feel fine.
atmarler26
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Manana and One Particular Harbor
Number of Concerts: 1

Post by atmarler26 »

Totally the wrong time of year to mention this, but I'm pretty sure he has never played "Christmas Island" live- the title track that is. These days he doesn't play as many shows in late November/December and even when he does holiday songs are not typically included, but it would be neat to hear him play it live once just for the sake of it.

Tin Cup has always been one of my favorite encores (along with Banana Republics) but as someone mentioned already it's been done frequently enough as an encore that we can't really consider it rare anymore. Guess I technically haven't heard it live though, since I've listened to or watched hundreds of shows but only actually physically attended one and he didn't play it then....

Does When Salome Plays the Drum count as rare? I know it's on the Live in Anguilla CD but these days it's hardly ever in the setlist.
"The last time we played here in 2004 in September, the Red Sox won the World Series in October. I'm thinking the same thing this year, how 'bout you?" -Jimmy Buffett, 8/9/2018
atmarler26
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Manana and One Particular Harbor
Number of Concerts: 1

Post by atmarler26 »

SeattleParrotHead wrote: April 29, 2019 5:50 pmNot one of his songs, but when he closed the 2003 White River Amphitheater (Auburn/Seattle) show with "The Wind Cries Mary" is was pretty special.
If we're counting covers that are rare, when he did "Crocodile" just for fun way back in 2001 I think, wasn't that a one-time thing?
"The last time we played here in 2004 in September, the Red Sox won the World Series in October. I'm thinking the same thing this year, how 'bout you?" -Jimmy Buffett, 8/9/2018
C4Parrothead
I need two more boat drinks
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate Looks at 40 / Someday I will / Little Miss Magic / DelaneyTalks
Number of Concerts: 36
Favorite Boat Drink: Tito’s

Post by C4Parrothead »

Couple years ago when Prince died he did a pretty sweet tribute - Purple Rain.

In Nashville last spring he played West Nashville Grand Ballroom Gown. Seemed to be very impromptu & sper of the moment.

I'd love to hear 12-Volt Man, Delaney Talks or Little Miss Magic - live.
Someday I will.

Latest Tour Stops:
-Dublin, Ireland 9.21.19 - SOASOAS (33)
-Red Rocks 9.9.21 - Slack Tide (34)
-Raleigh 4.23.22 - Life on the Flip Side (35)
-Charlotte 4.30.22 - Life on the Flip Side (36)